Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Touchpad tips and tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

emo72 wrote:
    so im running cm12 lollipop now. this machine is the gift that keeps on giving. and it was a breeze to install with tptoolkit.

Any issues so far with Lollipop and what ROM did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

nc6000 wrote: »
    Any issues so far with Lollipop and what ROM did you use?

No issues. Cm12 nightly. I only use it lightly at this stage, so haven't been pushing it too hard. Was having a lot of crashes on KitKat so that prompted my upgrade rather than messing about with KitKat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

emo72 wrote: »
    No issues. Cm12 nightly. I only use it lightly at this stage, so haven't been pushing it too hard. Was having a lot of crashes on KitKat so that prompted my upgrade rather than messing about with KitKat.

Camera and Bluetooth working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

BenEadir wrote: »
    Camera and Bluetooth working?

Do you actually use the camera on it? Even for skype it's pretty crap, when it does work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Would anybody have a spare original charger to sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just wondering, now that HP support for the device has now totally gone, if I was to port this to Android would it be possible to put it back to WebOS? My mum uses the Touchpad when on holidays, and I'd prefer to put Android onto it (more apps to play video, etc), but on the off chance my mum wants WebOS back onto it, is it at all possible?

the_syco wrote: »
    Just wondering, now that HP support for the device has now totally gone, if I was to port this to Android would it be possible to put it back to WebOS? My mum uses the Touchpad when on holidays, and I'd prefer to put Android onto it (more apps to play video, etc), but on the off chance my mum wants WebOS back onto it, is it at all possible?

There is really no point in putting webOS back on it. There are no apps, no app store any more. Even using it as a video player is extremely limited with the built in player.

Just tell her if only comes with android. There really isn't an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There is really no point in putting webOS back on it. There are no apps, no app store any more. Even using it as a video player is extremely limited with the built in player.

Just tell her if only comes with android. There really isn't an alternative.
    Using some video player app that I bought for €2.50 or so shortly after I got it in the firesale. Plays anything I throw at it. The only thing wrong with the Touchpad currently is I altered the sound with an app so it's louder with headphones, but the speakers on it no longer gives sound. There are still quite a few apps for it, and I never used the app store anyhoos.

She can use it at the moment, so it's a case of if she doesn't like Android, I need a way to get it back. If there's no way to get it back, I'll leave it as is; less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

the_syco wrote: »
    Using some video player app that I bought for €2.50 or so shortly after I got it in the firesale. Plays anything I throw at it. The only thing wrong with the Touchpad currently is I altered the sound with an app so it's louder with headphones, but the speakers on it no longer gives sound. There are still quite a few apps for it, and I never used the app store anyhoos.

She can use it at the moment, so it's a case of if she doesn't like Android, I need a way to get it back. If there's no way to get it back, I'll leave it as is; less hassle.

Mine is dual boot for android and Web os so it's certainly possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

anyone running XBMC/Kodi on theirs, everytime I click on a channel it comes up scrambled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭opus

emo72 wrote: »
    so im running cm12 lollipop now. this machine is the gift that keeps on giving. and it was a breeze to install with tptoolkit.

Made the jump to CM12 as well myself, seems reasonably ok although I don't use it for too much other than streaming music/internet radio in the kitchen.

Can confirm that the camera does not work as I saw somebody asked earlier in the tread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

What's the battery life like on lollipop? Hadn't used my touchpad in months until recently, installed kitkat and although its the smoothest OS I've had on it the battery life is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Stuck!

Ok so I used touchpad toolbox to install kitkat. Working fine untill it wouldn't charge one day.
    After exhausting all other options i used ubuntu to use the tpdebrick software and got it going again, problem solved..or so i thought...
    IT didn't start into android, so i figure i'd go to touchpad toolbox, do a complete data reset and start fresh...

When i try a complete data reset I get
    "ERROR: Invalid partition info: end-gap greater than 1 percent of mmc"

When i try to install Android I get
    Problem w/ vgchange-ay

I tried with touch pad v41d and also v42. Same issues. Not sure what to do.

Thought a complete data reset would work :-(

EDIT: I can't access the sd card i went into ClockworkMod but can't install a new rom from zip or wipe the sd card partition there either.

EDIT 2: Found problem I'm an idiot. I have a 32GB touchpad not a 16GB one....ran that wrong tpdebrick size!

Stuck!

Ok so I used touchpad toolbox to install kitkat. Working fine untill it wouldn't charge one day.
    After exhausting all other options i used ubuntu to use the tpdebrick software and got it going again, problem solved..or so i thought...
    IT didn't start into android, so i figure i'd go to touchpad toolbox, do a complete data reset and start fresh...

When i try a complete data reset I get
    "ERROR: Invalid partition info: end-gap greater than 1 percent of mmc"

When i try to install Android I get
    Problem w/ vgchange-ay

I tried with touch pad v41d and also v42. Same issues. Not sure what to do.

Thought a complete data reset would work :-(

EDIT: I can't access the sd card i went into ClockworkMod but can't install a new rom from zip or wipe the sd card partition there either.

EDIT 2: Found problem I'm an idiot. I have a 32GB touchpad not a 16GB one....ran that wrong tpdebrick size!

So back working again?

nc6000 wrote: »
    So back working again?

yeah back to full health thanks!

Left the info there anyway in case somebody is as silly as me as forgets the size of their touchpad!

Fair play to whoever came up with the tpdebrick program, quite a lifesaver! Wasn't half as much hassle as i thought (was initially put off by the ubuntu etc., but can just run from a usb stick and takes minimal effort to get tpdebrick to work it's magic)

yeah back to full health thanks!

Left the info there anyway in case somebody is as silly as me as forgets the size of their touchpad!

Fair play to whoever came up with the tpdebrick program, quite a lifesaver! Wasn't half as much hassle as i thought (was initially put off by the ubuntu etc., but can just run from a usb stick and takes minimal effort to get tpdebrick to work it's magic)

Mine is gone dead again and wont come back to life despite using all the tips and tricks on this thread....

I will look into this tpdebrick program tonight...did you work for you with a completely non-responsive touchpad?

neacy69 wrote: »
    Mine is gone dead again and wont come back to life despite using all the tips and tricks on this thread....

I will look into this tpdebrick program tonight...did you work for you with a completely non-responsive touchpad?

I posted about it before, but did you try leaving it to charge for ages (couple days probably)
    then, while holding the power button, tapping the home key like 30 times?

That always resurrects my touchpad.

I posted about it before, but did you try leaving it to charge for ages (couple days probably)
    then, while holding the power button, tapping the home key like 30 times?

That always resurrects my touchpad.

Yup...that worked the last time....nothing doing this time...i've had it plugged in for days at a time. I've used numerous combinations of plugs and cables (orignal hp - htc ones etc)... still nothing happening

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Yup...that worked the last time....nothing doing this time...i've had it plugged in for days at a time. I've used numerous combinations of plugs and cables (orignal hp - htc ones etc)... still nothing happening

I recall having a similar problem at one stage and having tried the multi day charging etc more or less gave up and left the TP in a cupboard. Came back 6-8 weeks later and tried charging it again and within a couple of hours charging I had the white LED surrounding the home button lighting up followed a while later by the battery charging icon on the screen and eventually a reboot once the TP had enough juice which I think is circa 10% charge.

It's possible your TP battery just needs to fully drain in order to snap out of whatever hibernation it is in. If nothing else works try leaving it alone for a few weeks and then charging again.

Mine is still used almost daily by the kids for YouTube/Netflix and as a quick internet lookup. It sits proudly on the charging stand in front of the telly. Not bad for €100 a few years ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Mine still going grand, rocking lollipop at the moment, case is looking very saggy round the edges though!

• Advertisement

phill106 wrote: »
    Mine still going grand, rocking lollipop at the moment, case is looking very saggy round the edges though!

What Lollipop ROM did you use?

I'm still on 4.4.4 but not sure if I should upgrade or leave well enough alone. When I last looked at it I saw that Netflix wasn't working with Lollipop and not sure the camera worked either which would be a problem for Skype.

I had left mine charging a couple of days, it was fully charged, the issue seems to be that the touchpad doesn't realise the battery is charged, as when tpdebrick ran, it said battery as at 100%, even though nothing i did before it could get it to turn on. You have any luck?

What's the story with USB OTG, I've ordered an adapter, do i need to do anything to activate usb OTG mode? or is it standard now? (i'm running kitkat pacman 4.4)

Hi Guys,

Was about to give up on my trusty old 32GB TP as it was acting weird, freezing then looping through reboots and ultimately looked bricked but I eventually got to boot into CM recovery, did a factory reset and it's like a new pin!! I just installed about a dozen of the main apps which get used on the TP (MX and VLC for movies, Netflix, Chrome, a few games and a few news apps) and 20GB of movies/TV series and it's handling it all no problem at all.

I'm running CM 10.1-20131210-SNAPSHOT-VPN-tenderloin V4.2.2 and the OS includes a Performance setting which allows the Processor to be tweaked e.g. I've the CPU governor set to "Interactive" but should it be set to "performance" or "ondemand" to get the most out of the TP? Should the MAximum CPU frequency be changed? I currently have it set to 1188 Mhz but should I push it to 1620 Mhz or even 1782 Mhz? What about turning on options like "Allow purging of assets" or "Kernel samepage merging" both of which seem to improve performance?

If anyone knows what the optimum "Performance" settings are to get the best most stable performance from the TP are I'd appreciate your input. I don't want to go tweaking things randomly as the TP is actually working fine at the moment but if there is a way to improve things I'd like to give it a go.

Hi all,

MY TP is going strong but I've a weird WiFi problem.

With WiFi turned on I can see my local 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks no problem and I can successfully log onto/connect to each one but when I do although I get a strong WiFi signal icon in the notification bar it remains white rather than blue and I'm unable to get any sort of internet connection. I tried both networks,tried forgetting and reconnecting to both networks, tried rebooting several times but no matter what I try all I get is a white WiFi icon.

I tried connecting to the web via several browsers with no luck and tried several SpeedTest type app's I have on the TP but they all report "network communication problems".

Any suggestions what I need to do?

I can always do a factory reset but I'd prefer to leave that as a very last resort!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

There use to be a wifi bluetooth bug, have you tested this with bluetooth off?

god's toy wrote: »
    There use to be a wifi bluetooth bug, have you tested this with bluetooth off?

Yeah, I'm familiar with the BT conflict with WiFi, spceifically the 2.4GHz band but unfortunately that bug only slowed Wifi speed and in any case I have BT turned off. :confused:

What's the best ROM for battery life?
    I've recently updated to 4.4.4 but seems a high drain, it is the reccomended build from jcsullins.
    If anyone has a bgood one let me know,
    Thanks

I'm using cm-11-20140913-SNAPSHOT-jcsullins-tenderloin and it's very stable. I did have Lollipop but it was very bad so went back to 4.4.4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Stumbled across this thread - glad to see it's still going.

I have the Touchpad and have some version of Android running on it - can't remember exactly as I haven't used it in ages.
    Problem is I can't power it up as I've misplaced the original USB cable that came with it and any time I try a different one it says to use the original one.

Anyone else had this problem?

• Advertisement

Do you have the original charger, if so you need a USB cable with charging and data transfer capabilities.
    I think a blackberry cable is one I heard works fine
    If you don't have the original charger you need a USB with 2Amp output. Phone chargers aren't powerful enough

Advertisement