Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic **This Thread Now Closed For Business**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    That bloody Central Remedial Clinic scandal is making me wary of donating to charities now, not that we donate a lot at home but we always give to 3 or 4 causes yearly :mad: I think I might donate my time instead

I only donate to animal charities, generally because I don't like people :D but the DSPCA are a great cause if you have a little change left over after the Xmas ballyhoo. They also have a lovely site in Rathfarmham, at the bottom of the Dublin mountains which visitors are welcome to stroll around the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I volunteer with the st.John ambulance year round. Great fun and very educational!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Had a monthly direct debit to charity for over 4 years but after the crc scandal I cancelled as that's who I was currently donating to. Sickened to see where my money went. Would love to go into temple street and buy toys for sick kids than feed greedy charity fat cats any longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd rather donate my time than my money when I'm not 100% sure if even 20% would end up going to the actual cause rather than admin fees. You'd be surprised how sleazy some of the biggest charities can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

You just can't trust any crowd nowdays, some of them are the lowest of the low. Its sad(yet understandable) to hear people being put off donating when they need it most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The whole Ian Watkins story has me annoyed and upset.

When I was 15, a friend of mine died. He loved LostProhpets, playing their music constantly, to such an extent that a song was even played at his funeral. As such, I always related their stuff to him, in both a sad way but also a happy way, remembering the memories.

But now....now those songs are ruined. Don't get me wrong, I know thats trivial compared to the lives he ruined, and while I'm mostly desensitized to these sorts of story, I really can't believe how vile he was. But it just upsets me so much that I can never really listen to those songs again, even for the nostalgia, cause of what he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

When I was 15, a friend of mine died. He loved LostProhpets, playing their music constantly, to such an extent that a song was even played at his funeral. As such, I always related their stuff to him, in both a sad way but also a happy way, remembering the memories.

But now....now those songs are ruined. Don't get me wrong, I know thats trivial compared to the lives he ruined, and while I'm mostly desensitized to these sorts of story, I really can't believe how vile he was. But it just upsets me so much that I can never really listen to those songs again, even for the nostalgia, cause of what he's done.

Yeah the music of the band is now unlistenable. As you say it is trivial in the grand scheme of things but I liked alot of their work. Shame it will only remind me what a monster Watkins is.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,715 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Castration is even too good for him

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Agreed what Watkins done is horrendous and 35 years is not enough especially some of the comments he made during the trial . But i will still listen to LP music if it comes on my i tunes since imo as bad and disgusting stuff ian did the band (not just ian) made some good music imo.

Having said that if people like yourselves feel uncomfortable listening to their music its totally up the each person

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Agreed what Watkins done is horrendous and 35 years is not enough especially some of the comments he made during the trial . But i will still listen to LP music if it comes on my i tunes since imo as bad and disgusting stuff ian did the band (not just ian) made some good music imo.

Having said that if people like yourselves feel uncomfortable listening to their music its totally up the each person

It just reminds me of the what hes done. Same way Gary Glittlers My Gang reminds me of what hes done.

I feel sorry for his band mates in LP, their work will be forever tarnished which is unfair on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Reminds me of the way that people still think of Chris Benoit.. Some can still watches his matches and separate the man from the character.. I guess its the same with Lostprophets music as well.. At the end of the day he was only one part of the music i guess. Utter Scumbag though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

wrt Benoit, I still watch old matches he's had in PPVs and the like. Guy was a great wrestler. I'll probably never listen to LP again though, but I didn't really listen to them before so it's kind of a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭cena

I.m over a month waiting for my new sky viewing card to come. I have had the new sky box 3 weeks.

I rang up one day to see what was happening with the card the feckers cancelled that card and sent out a new one. I have since got the cancelled card which I rang up to see if it could be reactivated.

I was told once cancelled the card is no good. Such a had service.

Not another Diabhal Beag HDMI question!

So I got a lovely HDMI cable there. Worked lovely with my cheap Acer. Now I'm having a problem with my Panasonic Viera TV. When I connect the HDMI to the HDMI1 port all is right in the world. But when it's put into HDMI2 it won't work. I've moved the Sky HDMI cable down to HDMI2 and it works but I usually have that in the HDMI1 port because my parents are thick when it comes to technology.

Please help before the darts get proper serious for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

This might be an option for you. I bought a HDMI splitter for my parents' TV. When they turn on the TV, it's set to the HDMI channel that the splitter is plugged into. Their UPC box, DVD player and the younger brother's xbox are all plugged into the splitter. When the DVD player or xbox is turned on, the splitter automatically switches to that feed and switches back to the UPC DVR once the DVD player/ xbox has been turned off again. Net result is much less need for the remote and a simpler experience for my folks. I bought the splitter from cables.ie, but I'd suspect that DID, Argos or Powercity would all carry them.

Another classy Ger. Thanks very much.

Be careful on the roads all

Watching Elf by a cosy fire, never tire of that film

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Never seen Elf. Always thought it looked silly.

But my God, everyone seems to be raving about it this Xmas :D Must give it a try.

Never seen Elf. Always thought it looked silly.

But my God, everyone seems to be raving about it this Xmas :D Must give it a try.

I'd recommend Elf to all

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

If there's one thing Elf taught me, it's that Zooey Deschanel looks really different without a fringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And as a blonde

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And as a blonde

Is that who that was, dare I say nicer as a blonde

• Registered Users Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yep and her own singing voice as well. Think Hitchhiker's Guide is the first thing I saw her in having already seen her sister in Bones and mother in Twin Peaks. Only saw Elf for the first time a few years ago and again last year. Would happily watch again.

And yeah, pretty adorable as a blonde. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

If you like zoey do not watch new girl she gets really annoying!!

Zooey is gorgeous though, it's still well worth watching New Girl in mute!

No amount of staring at her eyes can save that. Like 2 Broke Girls a very pretty face can't make up for few laughs

<-- survived midnight mass for another year

<-- Enjoyed Midnight Mass for another year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Happy Xmas lads, I've completely disappeared from the PW circle I know. Life has gotten fairly manic. Still lurk every now and again and still as big a PW fan as ever. Will try get active again in 2014 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Voltwad wrote: »
    Happy Xmas lads, I've completely disappeared from the PW circle I know. Life has gotten fairly manic. Still lurk every now and again and still as big a PW fan as ever. Will try get active again in 2014 :)

Glad to hear it man, would be good to have you back. Got engaged myself yesterday so I know how hectic life can get...

Btw if your thinking of posting more, the draft is coming :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement