Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

Best of luck to anyone here doing the HPAT tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

God yeah that's amazing! Was yours DEB? We did our Paper I over 3 weeks ago and no sign yet :(. Really want it back just to see how I did! Hope to have it back next week!

Yeah it was DEB. I'd say you should definitely have it back by next week, unless you have an extraordinarily lazy corrector :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Siobhnk wrote: »
    Best of luck to anyone here doing the HPAT tomorrow :)
    Nobody in my School is doing it :O

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Am I the only one who'd be a little peeved with excellent mock results? I'm starting mine on wednesday (i know, my schools so silly!) and I'm so afraid of setting the bar really high or something...like I can write great english essays but not in time pressure, and what if it just doesnt go as well on the day? D:

finality wrote: »
    Yeah it was DEB. I'd say you should definitely have it back by next week, unless you have an extraordinarily lazy corrector :P
    Could be the case! Will have done in 23 days ago! :O.. I'd say the examiner is extremely lazy! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I'm so so shocked about my English results. 196/200 on paper one. :| I thought I'd get a B!

That's beyond unbelievable! Wouldn't even consider an A2 in English myself. But 98% in a whole paper of English is just breathtaking, fair play.

I still don't consider English as a subject that I will count for points, I always feel that I'm losing points during the exam(and that goes for all languages) rather than gaining them in subjects like Maths. I just hope that one of English or Irish go well(especially the Irish oral).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Mine started 3 weeks ago, but they weren't sent away until all mocks were completed, maybe that's the case in your school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Am I the only one who'd be a little peeved with excellent mock results? I'm starting mine on wednesday (i know, my schools so silly!) and I'm so afraid of setting the bar really high or something...like I can write great english essays but not in time pressure, and what if it just doesnt go as well on the day? D:

Excellent mock results are exactly what I don't want! :eek: The worse they are the better (as long as I don't fail any), I need a good kick up the arse to study more!

Hopefully I won't get any As. I got one in the Junior Cert mocks, then a B for the real thing. Got an A2 in one of my Leaving Cert mocks... Then BAM!! B2 last August.

And just to highlight how awful good mock results are (for me!) - Leaving Cert English mock: A well-deserved D2 (which was my worst grade overall). Actual Leaving Cert: B1 (ie. my highest grade). :D

So yeah, As can feck off 'til August as far as I'm concerned!! :P

Togepi wrote: »
    Excellent mock results are exactly what I don't want! :eek: The worse they are the better (as long as I don't fail any), I need a good kick up the arse to study more!

Hopefully I won't get any As. I got one in the Junior Cert mocks, then a B for the real thing. Got an A2 in one of my Leaving Cert mocks... Then BAM!! B2 last August.

And just to highlight how awful good mock results are (for me!) - Leaving Cert English mock: A well-deserved D2 (which was my worst grade overall). Actual Leaving Cert: B1 (ie. my highest grade). :D

So yeah, As can feck off 'til August as far as I'm concerned!! :P
    Thank God I'm not the only one, same thing happened to me in the JC! A's in CSPE and Religion, 84 in Geo, 83 in business and 80 in history...come september and I didnt even get an A in CSPE, shameful stuff :P

I'd kinda prefer all B's tbh :P

Patchy~ wrote: »

What do you mean exactly? Like if you do too well in the Mocks you'll be worried you won't repeat it again come June? Nah, even if some mocks are corrected a little easy (89% in Business today, probably deserving of a B), you can only get better in the next 12 weeks or so.

I remember in my JC thinking the exact same thing and I came out with twice the results. But I getcha, it is the LC, it's a big deal. The thing I'm most worried about fcuking up are the orals may it be to nerves or making small blunders. Irish at 40% is too big a chunk for me to drop marks in if I want an A1 in it, and I really really do!

Then again, doing well for me wouldn't really be a good thing. I would probably become even more complacent. You can't just do no study come June and get 600. A lot of papers went well for me but a few didn't which just exposes the cracks I have growing:eek:

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    What do you mean exactly? Like if you do too well in the Mocks you'll be worried you won't repeat it again come June? Nah, even if some mocks are corrected a little easy (89% in Business today, probably deserving of a B), you can only get better in the next 12 weeks or so.

I remember in my JC thinking the exact same thing and I came out with twice the results. But I getcha, it is the LC, it's a big deal. The thing I'm most worried about fcuking up are the orals may it be to nerves or making small blunders. Irish at 40% is too big a chunk for me to drop marks in if I want an A1 in it, and I really really do!
    Thats exactly it! It really depends on the material on the day - it happened on my JC and was pretty disappointing, the only one that improved was my maths from a D to a B but that was pretty great :P 89 in business?! Teach me how to beat that cruel marking scheme Cian :pac:

Just be relaxed in the orals, it'll make a good atmosphere and make you seem confident, which you have no reason not to be! :)

Then again, doing well for me wouldn't really be a good thing. I would probably become even more complacent. You can't just do no study come June and get 600. A lot of papers went well for me but a few didn't which just exposes the cracks I have growing:eek:
    Cian your just far too intelligent! 89% in Business :O I would literally DIE for that in the Mock. Have always been an A1 student in Business, (one A2 89% alas) in a Marketing Exam in 5th year however! And highly doubt I got an A in the Mock! Stupidly picked Q.3 and there was a part re: a regulation in Europe. Didn't know it, made it up probably lost 10-15 marks like!

Did you get your Mocks corrected by Teachers or by DEB examiners? I think I need some Mock results back to kick my ass into gear if I wanna get 530 points in June!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Three results back so far

B3 in French and OL Maths
    51 in Irish literature, still have my oral. Fairly pissed off with it, thought it was worth more

Cian your just far too intelligent! 89% in Business :O I would literally DIE for that in the Mock. Have always been an A1 student in Business, (one A2 89% alas) in a Marketing Exam in 5th year however! And highly doubt I got an A in the Mock! Stupidly picked Q.3 and there was a part re: a regulation in Europe. Didn't know it, made it up probably lost 10-15 marks like!

Did you get your Mocks corrected by Teachers or by DEB examiners? I think I need some Mock results back to kick my ass into gear if I wanna get 530 points in June!

DEB examiner. It was marked fairly oddly though, I got a lot of full marks then no marks(like there's no inbetween mark?), our class in general seemed to get inflated results so I'll still be wary come June.

I don't like the EU and international trade section much myself, I think I did Part 1 Q1 and Part 2 Q4,(5),6,7. Did well in those, not brilliantly in short questions or ABQ.

What I like about business is how you can think of any suitable answer on the spot, I'd go mad if I was learning off reams of information, though my teachers always telling us to "learn off", I prefer a rinse and repeat approach i.e. most of the answers are much the same from year to year to year and the experience of doing those questions helps you to think of answers to LC questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

finally got some mocks back today :)
    I got 84% in german , pretty happy but kinda sad i missed out on a A by 1 %
    I also got 67% in english, have to say very disappointed with this :( reading over what I wrote, I still think I deserved more :( but sure my whole year was marked harshly, the highest overall was 76 % :/

anyways well done to everyone on your results :D
    oh and cian, I hate you :P you're too smart :P

I also got 67% in english, have to say very disappointed with this :( reading over what I wrote, I still think I deserved more :( but sure my whole year was marked harshly, the highest overall was 76 % :/

Wow I hope mine aren't marked as hard, I'd love a high B.
    That's still a fantastic German result, well done! I think there was just one french exam in our school better than that.

I still don't consider English as a subject that I will count for points, I always feel that I'm losing points during the exam(and that goes for all languages) rather than gaining them in subjects like Maths. I just hope that one of English or Irish go well(especially the Irish oral).
    The thing I'm most worried about fcuking up are the orals may it be to nerves or making small blunders. Irish at 40% is too big a chunk for me to drop marks in if I want an A1 in it, and I really really do!:

You say you're bad* at languages, may or may not count Irish, but will very possibly get an A1 in it?

...So, worst case scenario is about 615 points?? :eek: Shameful. :pac:

*By your standards. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I feel a bit mentally challenged looking at all of your (brilliant) results. I would be DELIGHTED with 300 in the mocks, and ye're all well up in the 400s! I definitely failed chemistry and it's possible that I failed maths.

You say you're bad* at languages, may or may not count Irish, but will very possibly get an A1 in it?

I'm pretty awful at French, a definite non-counter.
    English I'm hot and cold, enough to do very well, but it's really the people who read books, prepare answers etc. that will be getting the top marks. It's a very small percentage of A1s (i.e. 2-4%) and I just wouldn't cut it.
    I'm confident in Irish, I just see it as an exam that could go very wrong, maybe I shouldn't worry, but I can just imagine if I get an oral examiner who lacks generosity they'll just be looking to deduct marks rather than award them, that's actually one of my biggest fears right now.

And stop mocking me! All of you!
    “I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
    Whatever I see I swallow immediately
    Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
    I am not cruel, only truthful":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I think they meant they wouldn't be counting English, not Irish. :P

I think I will get about 545 in my pres, if my German oral goes well on Monday. :| I'm sooo happy with that, really surprised! though I've got to do a bit better in June. I'd love to get 600 for the craic :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

Oh Christ. Really not looking forward to getting mine on Monday :( No news with any others? :/
    Well done though, that's a great result in German :)

This week has been dismal at best, mock results are the last thing I need :(

I'm pretty awful at French, a definite non-counter.
    English I'm hot and cold, enough to do very well, but it's really the people who read books, prepare answers etc. that will be getting the top marks. It's a very small percentage of A1s (i.e. 2-4%) and I just wouldn't cut it.
    I'm confident in Irish, I just see it as an exam that could go very wrong, maybe I shouldn't worry, but I can just imagine if I get an oral examiner who lacks generosity they'll just be looking to deduct marks rather than award them, that's actually one of my biggest fears right now.

Fair enough! :) I just thought you were saying you'd not be counting either English or Irish, and that you were going for an A1 in Irish.

For the oral just try to relax as much as you can. Most examiners want to give you marks, not take them away. And you'll probably be well able able to chat away the whole time so they'll love you just for that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I feel a bit mentally challenged looking at all of your (brilliant) results. I would be DELIGHTED with 300 in the mocks, and ye're all well up in the 400s! I definitely failed chemistry and it's possible that I failed maths.
    +1, I wont get an A hoping for a few Bs but even that doesn't seem likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I think they meant they wouldn't be counting English, not Irish. :P

I think I will get about 545 in my pres, if my German oral goes well on Monday. :| I'm sooo happy with that, really surprised! though I've got to do a bit better in June. I'd love to get 600 for the craic :L
    Gender recognition problems emerge once again on the thread:mad:
    In fact, my first ever thanks to the change of username, congratulations winner!:pac: Is fear é Cian(A.K.A Eathrin) muna raibh sé ar eolas agat;)

"I'd love to get 600 for the craic". There's a resounding truth to this sentence actually:eek: Wouldn't it be fantastic to just have that much in your back pocket?
    Fair enough! :) I just thought you were saying you'd not be counting either English or Irish, and that you were going for an A1 in Irish.

For the oral just try to relax as much as you can. Most examiners want to give you marks, not take them away. And you'll probably be well able able to chat away the whole time so they'll love you just for that! :)

I hope so, hope I leave the room with a smile on my face:)

Also Cian, the fact that you're one of the few people who don't hate Irish will be a massive bonus! :D

Gaeilge go deo. <3

If we all threw our notes together, I'm thinkin' we'd have ourselves 600 points each in the bag... :P

I feel so left out here. My mocks dont even begin til Wednesday! Will ye all still humour me in a month when I have my results? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

M&S* wrote: »
    I'm hoping for an A in French, or a high B at least. Low Cs, Ds and a few fails in the rest I'm afraid. I think relatively realistic grades for June if I start studying now are an A2 in French, B1 in English, B3 in Biology, D2 in Chemistry and C1 in everything else. Compared to all the A1ers here I feel a bit inferior :rolleyes:

M&S* wrote: »
    If you have a look at the solutions on examinations.ie for first principals they go through both methods!
    </3! :(

• Advertisement

Jealous :(.. Especially of German! 84% is unreal!

Ugggggggggggghhhhhh, I really want some Mocks back. Particularly Economics, since I told my Career Guidance Teacher I was doing it outside School on my own, she told me it was impossible to Pass a HL Subject with no grinds.. I soooooooooo want to rub a good B2/B3 in that bítchés face!! The satisfaction! :D..

Hoping i'll have some back by Next week, if not some ****s gonna go down! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement