Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. '11/'12 Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

we're all gas, unlike these un-twitter'd slobs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Ok, so i'm preparing stuff for my French Document (HL) and am just looking for some advice from you amazingly intelligent boardsers! :P

I'm doing my Document on Exam pressure, and my document consists of 2 very stressed looking students desperately preparing for exams (sound familiar :P)..

Anyway I have 2 pages of paragraphs and stuff done out, it consists of:

Saying what my document is about and saying how exam pressure is a serious problem.

I say where I got my images from and describe an article I read from a paper which talked about teen suicide from exam pressure.

POSSIBLE QUESTIONS

Question 1
    'do you think exams are stressful?'

Question 2
    'what do you want to do next year?'

Question 3
    ' do you think the education system in Ireland is fair?'

Question 4
    'do you think there is a need to change the education system in Ireland'

Question 5

'do you like school in general, what's your subjects/your favourite and why?'

That's basically all I have, i'm quite stuck for more information, does anyone have any advice to add or do you think them points are enough to help me get a good grade? Any advice greatly appreciated fellow Frenchies!

Thanks for any replies guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

History mocks tomorrow morning. Honestly, it was the only one I was properly dreading :( the thought of the weekend is all that's keeping me going at this stage :D

13spanner wrote: »
    History mocks tomorrow morning. Honestly, it was the only one I was properly dreading :( the thought of the weekend is all that's keeping me going at this stage :D
    The guys in my school did that exam about 2 and a half weeks ago and said it was handy enough! They had Examcraft AFAIK!

The absolute relief your gonna feel when your finished for good is surreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Ok, so i'm preparing stuff for my French Document (HL) and am just looking for some advice from you amazingly intelligent boardsers! :P

Amazingly intelligent? Pah, you help me, I'm useless at french:D
    I wasn't aware you could take images like that, I always thought it had to be something personal, I suppose having a document like that could help you speak about something broader. So I could perhaps bring in a picture somehow relating to the economic crisis and speak about that? (Though the thought of that in french is shocking enough for me:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm doing my Document on Exam pressure, and my document consists of 2 very stressed looking students desperately preparing for exams (sound familiar :P)..

Anyway I have 2 pages of paragraphs and stuff done out, it consists of:

Saying what my document is about and saying how exam pressure is a serious problem.

I say where I got my images from and describe an article I read from a paper which talked about teen suicide from exam pressure.

POSSIBLE QUESTIONS

Question 1
    'do you think exams are stressful?'

Question 2
    'what do you want to do next year?'

Question 3
    ' do you think the education system in Ireland is fair?'

Question 4
    'do you think there is a need to change the education system in Ireland'

Question 5

'do you like school in general, what's your subjects/your favourite and why?'

That's basically all I have, i'm quite stuck for more information, does anyone have any advice to add or do you think them points are enough to help me get a good grade? Any advice greatly appreciated fellow Frenchies!

Thanks for any replies guys!
    They might ask you something about what students can do to relieve the pressure? Especially if you haven't talked about passtimes and stuff already

Eathrin wrote: »
    Amazingly intelligent? Pah, you help me, I'm useless at french:D
    I wasn't aware you could take images like that, I always thought it had to be something personal, I suppose having a document like that could help you speak about something broader. So I could perhaps bring in a picture somehow relating to the economic crisis and speak about that? (Though the thought of that in french is shocking enough for me:rolleyes:)
    You got a B3 in the Mock sure! D: , i'd die for that in the Mock! If I pull a C2 i'll be lucky!

Yep you can! My friend is bringing in a picture that talks about AIDS in the 3rd world so i'm sure you can!

Namlub wrote: »
    They might ask you something about what students can do to relieve the pressure? Especially if you haven't talked about passtimes and stuff already
    Thanks, never thought of that! Any other ideas? -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Thanks, never thought of that! Any other ideas? -_-

They could maybe possibly ask about health and the importance of students having a healthy lifestyle. That would probably only be if they were stuck for questions though!

And maybe have a few sentences ready if they ask specific questions about who creates the pressure, like parents or teachers or something. Can't really think of anything else unless they start asking really awkward stuff :pac:

Forgot to mention, I got an A1 in biology \o/ The rest if my results are gonna be such a letdown by comparison pahaha...

• Advertisement

Yep you can! My friend is bringing in a picture that talks about AIDS in the 3rd world so i'm sure you can!
    :eek:
    Do you think that gets better marks? I planned to bring in a picture of when I was in Paris with my school over the midterm...I feel so beaten :P

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Finished tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

I can hardly talk about AIDS and the third world in English, let alone French :S geniuses, the lot of ye!!

Patchy~ wrote: »
    :eek:
    Do you think that gets better marks? I planned to bring in a picture of when I was in Paris with my school over the midterm...I feel so beaten :P

You would think you could talk more about a topical issue than talking about having the craic here and there right?:pac:
    I think it sounds like a better idea but my teacher wasn't exactly promoting the concept.

You would think you could talk more about a topical issue than talking about having the craic here and there right?:pac:
    I think it sounds like a better idea but my teacher wasn't exactly promoting the concept.
    Which do you think sounds better? :pac: I could prepare either but I kinda want full marks in my oral :P I never even thought of it like!

And maybe have a few sentences ready if they ask specific questions about who creates the pressure, like parents or teachers or something. Can't really think of anything else unless they start asking really awkward stuff :pac:

Forgot to mention, I got an A1 in biology \o/ The rest if my results are gonna be such a letdown by comparison pahaha...
    You must be sooooooooooo smart!! Were all your Mocks sent away? Your getting them back soo quickly!

Which do you think sounds better? :pac: I could prepare either but I kinda want full marks in my oral :P I never even thought of it like!
    Everyone in my class , (granted there's only 8) are doing stuff like the Enviroment, Racism, Aids stuff like that! Our teacher was almost forcing us not to do anything generic. Not saying these get better marks just what we're all doing!

My document last year was just a photo of the sports team I'm on. I viewed my scripts and figured out I got an A in the oral. Be grand sure!!

Togepi wrote: »
    My document last year was just a photo of the sports team I'm on. I viewed my scripts and figured out I got an A in the oral. Be grand sure!!
    Congrats! Did you feel your oral went well when you were doing it last year? I'm desperate to get a B2 upwards from French for points, say I got a C1 in the Mock! Not sure if i'll be able to pull it up though!

Merci! :P Am yeah I was fairly happy with it, the examiner was really nice, she kept butting in to say "oh excellent" or "bon"! (She did that for nearly everyone, lovely lady.) :D

To be honest a lot of it was probably down to my attitude, I was laughing on the way in and on the way out! Pretty relaxed the whole time and just acted as if it was a chat rather than an exam. I definitely advise trying your best to do that!

I was vey good with verbs and tenses too, so that's always a help! :)

(PS: The oral is easier than most people think, as long as you've prepared well for it.)

• Advertisement

Everyone in my class , (granted there's only 8) are doing stuff like the Enviroment, Racism, Aids stuff like that! Our teacher was almost forcing us not to do anything generic. Not saying these get better marks just what we're all doing!

This. I'm very seriously considering doing a topical issue so I can prepare a good lot of stuff on it. If I have to talk off the top of my head I am doomed, I'm God-awful at francais.

You must be sooooooooooo smart!! Were all your Mocks sent away? Your getting them back soo quickly!

Nahhh it was the first exam so I studied loads for it, then kinda neglected and panic-crammed the rest :p Yeh I wasn't expecting them back this fast, I heard we're getting English in the next few days o_O

About the document thing, I was thinking of not doing one...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

What exactly do you have to do for the French Oral? Hearing about this document stuff is new to me since I do German :P

About the document thing, I was thinking of not doing one...

Can I ask why? All I've heard is that it's highly recommended, but then again if you're at an A-standard (like yourself) then it probably doesn't make a difference! :)

Togepi wrote: »
    Can I ask why? All I've heard is that it's highly recommended, but then again if you're at an A-standard (like yourself) then it probably doesn't make a difference! :)

I'd say examiners would be even more impressed with students who can sustain the conversation without the document.

In Irish I'd happily chat away the entire 15 mins if I had the choice and do away with the rest. It kind of annoys me that you get such little time to speak.

Yeh I'm still not sure but I just feel like I'd make it sound way too rehearsed when I want to impress them in a kind of 'ooh look how casually I'm handling this spontaneous conversation' way :p Plus the only thing I can think of using as a document, I'm definitely gonna end up talking about anyway

I'd say examiners would be even more impressed with students who can sustain the conversation without the document.

In Irish I'd happily chat away the entire 15 mins if I had the choice and do away with the rest. It kind of annoys me that you get such little time to speak.

True, now that you mention it if you're well able to speak French for over 15 minutes then a document would probably be more likely to hinder you help! And it would look good to not need anything to fall back on.

Plus one on the Irish thing, nevermind the pictures just have a good long cómhrá and a bit of craic!
    Yeh I'm still not sure but I just feel like I'd make it sound way too rehearsed when I want to impress them in a kind of 'ooh look how casually I'm handling this spontaneous conversation' way :p Plus the only thing I can think of using as a document, I'm definitely gonna end up talking about anyway

Yeah that whole spontaneity sounds a lot better than handing the examiner a sheet of paper which says "look I've learnt this off, humour me for couple of minutes while I rhyme off what I know!"

I seriously doubt you'd have any need for a document anyway, it'd probably just annoy you!

It's a difficult thing to overcome. I was just discussing with a friend today, it's difficult to answer a topical question on the spot in any language, yet if you seem to be thinking about an answer despite having the linguistic skills, it'll be you who is penalised and not the man who has the material learnt word for word.

I really want to go for the whole casual conversation thing in Irish but it's really just not facilitated and that's just a hole in the system. I want to be asked a question, then answer it, not go off on a tangent about everything with the slightest link, that just screams rehearsal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

I'M FINISHED MY MOCKS. YESSSSSSSSSSS. PARTY AT MINE :P

• Advertisement

I lost an A in my english story because I got history wrong! :(
    Meh, least it wasnt the mocks, and it was still 84% but its the best thing I've ever written so I wanted that A.

In fairness it did cause pretty bad plotholes, but dammit, it makes my resentment at my history teacher grow even more!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement