Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

How will they change the lamps on top of the Spire on o'connell street ?.I've googled it .

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

the missing postman..

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Wowbagger

This is my mystery. Dont like saying it's a favourite but along with Mary Duffy which was mentioned earlier it gets me for some reason. They did find the body but no killer.

Bernadette Connolly went missing on 17 April 1970. She had been out on her bicycle but failed to return to her home in Collooney in Co Sligo.

With ref. to the missing women, Fiona Pender-Deirdre Jacob-Annie McCarrick who's to say there isnt/wasnt a serial killer/killers operating in Ireland. Mary Duffy had the misfortune to encounter two of them who only for being arrested would have possibly continued their merry way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

If the dogs in the streets of Tullamore could talk they would tell you who killed Fiona Pender , same with Fiona Synott in Wexford and Ciara Breen in Dundalk - no mysteries there.

There have been suggestions that there was clerical involvement in Bernadette Connollys murder - apparently a van belonging to a nearby religious order was unaccounted for around the time of her abduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Delancey wrote: »
    If the dogs in the streets of Tullamore could talk they would tell you who killed Fiona Pender , same with Fiona Synott in Wexford and Ciara Breen in Dundalk - no mysteries there.

There have been suggestions that there was clerical involvement in Bernadette Connollys murder - apparently a van belonging to a nearby religious order was unaccounted for around the time of her abduction.

The dogs on the streets have been wrong plenty of times in the past. The whole idea of a secret serial killer though is based on confirmation bias combined with a lack of information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

If that is the case why have their murderers not been brought to justice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There's knowing something and there's being able to prove it without a doubt.

Evidence , dear Watson , evidence.

In the case of Ciara Breen in Dundalk a file did go to the DPP but a decision was taken not to charge the man concerned.

In the other cases Prime Suspects have been identified but given delays in the women concerned being reported missing the killers and their helpers had time to cover their tracks.

Not nice thinking these people got away with murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

they weren't built by slaves.
    Once you plant wheat you don't really have to do much till harvest time, building pyramids kept the lower classes occupied. The workers ate bread and drank beer make from left over bread.

Pyramids were build over very long times, so totally possible with just human effort when you have thousands working on it. Also structurally the angle isn't that far off what you would get from a random pile of stones so not very difficult to do. You don't need aliens. You don't even need wheels to transport the stones.

Hmm, not sure the pyramids were just something to keep the plebs off the streets. No aliens were required but credit where it's due - The Square in Tallaght isn't a patch on them

http://www.petrospec-technologies.com/Herkommer/pyramid/pyramid.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Originally Posted by PhlegmyMoses
    Urban legend obviously but a bit scary nonetheless. The Rake:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com...owtopic=167197

I think I can explain that, its a natural condition which some people get, called sleep paralysis, in effect, you are awake but your mind is in a state of rem sleep so the body is paralysed. So your mind manifests an image to explain and in medieval times it was an old hag who would press on your body till it drained the life force in modern times it seems to be aliens. Or in this case "the rake" as that was what was in peoples minds.

Its quite common, I did wake up with the paralysis once, but no dream, it passed, but it was terrifying.

• Advertisement

Icepick wrote: »

I encountered similar as a 7 year old on beaches around Ireland. Freezing summers days somehow compelling me to strip down to my underpants and start constructing sandcastles. Imagine the looks while in the bunkers of the local golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

rgmmg wrote: »
    I encountered similar as a 7 year old on beaches around Ireland. Freezing summers days somehow compelling me to strip down to my underpants and start constructing sandcastles. Imagine the looks while in the bunkers of the local golf club.

Your age played a part. Before puberty children cannot reliably feel cold properly.
    I remember being about twelve and noticing that now the water would make you feel really cold after some minutes, a phenomenon I hadn't experienced before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

That Ural mountain mystery is so so weird. It's probably some Soviet cover up but if it's not theres so many questions

My biggest mystery tho is a freaking voice calling out to me and my sister from my moms bedroom when we were the only two in the house when we were kids!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Being from the Midlands, I have heard what is considered to have happened to Fiona Pender. It is taken as a given round here, people don't even question it, it's seen as what happened and that's that. Obv can't say all on here, but basically her family were poor and his were rich, and that's seen as why he got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Being from the Midlands, I have heard what is considered to have happened to Fiona Pender. It is taken as a given round here, people don't even question it, it's seen as what happened and that's that. Obv can't say all on here, but basically her family were poor and his were rich, and that's seen as why he got away with it.

I dont disbelieve you but I really hope that isnt the case. Life isnt based on wealth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hmm, not sure the pyramids were just something to keep the plebs off the streets. No aliens were required but credit where it's due - The Square in Tallaght isn't a patch on them

http://www.petrospec-technologies.com/Herkommer/pyramid/pyramid.htm
    That is way too overcomplicated.

all that stuff about pi ?
    assume they used barrels or wheels to measure distance and diameter of the wheel to measure height , or were using cylinders that were as tall as they were wide.

3:4:5 triangle is basic stuff , piece of string and you are good to go,
    or you can use string to make a compass , again easy to get right angles except this time you need a straight edge too

leveling a site can be done by cutting a grove around the base and filling it with water

length of year , yeah that's going to be tricky for people living under a cloudless night sky with very little artificial light and your survival is totally dependent on synchronising the agricultural calendar relative to the annual cycles of your only source of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

assume they used barrels or wheels to measure distance and diameter of the wheel to measure height , or were using cylinders that were as tall as they were wide.

or you can use string to make a compass , again easy to get right angles except this time you need a straight edge too

leveling a site can be done by cutting a grove around the base and filling it with water

length of year , yeah that's going to be tricky for people living under a cloudless night sky with very little artificial light and your survival is totally dependent on synchronising the agricultural calendar relative to the annual cycles of your only source of water.

Linear algebra was my weak point (I was sh1t) so Ill have to take your word on that!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:

Lets not name any names folks.

I'd say in each locality there is a strong story about what happened to them. I don't know if that's true about Fiona Pender but it is the well accepted version of events around the midlands. What is meant to have happened to Ciara Breen?

Ciara Breen is understood to have been in an illicit relationship with a Dundalk man considerably older than herself , she sneaked out of her bedroom window one night for the purpose , it is believed , of meeting him. She was never seen again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Google 'Fiona Pender boyfriend threatening letter'. I'm not saying anyone did or didn't do anything as I don't know, but this is out there and it's interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Urban legend obviously but a bit scary nonetheless. The Rake:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=167197

I'm pretty sure this legend is a fake. Similar to the slender man myth.

Fair point. While we're on it, I can't believe people ever existed without wheels. What were they thinking? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I can't believe people ever existed without wheels. What were they thinking? :rolleyes:

the Mayans had wheels but couldn't think of any uses for them except as kids toys

al28283 wrote: »
    the Mayans had wheels but couldn't think of any uses for them except as kids toys

Thats because they had spaceships !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Swalli Noors head! (and his mickey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

44leto wrote: »
    I think I can explain that, its a natural condition which some people get, called sleep paralysis, in effect, you are awake but your mind is in a state of rem sleep so the body is paralysed. So your mind manifests an image to explain and in medieval times it was an old hag who would press on your body till it drained the life force in modern times it seems to be aliens. Or in this case "the rake" as that was what was in peoples minds.

Its quite common, I did wake up with the paralysis once, but no dream, it passed, but it was terrifying.

Yup - I used to get sleep paralysis for years. Get it once or twice a year now. A horrifying experience when you don't know what's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Murder of Meg Walsh here in Waterford is a peculiar one too. The general consensus is that her husband did it - but he was found not guilty in court. He was a bus driver, and went back to work driver public buses.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/mhgbauideymh/

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fair point. While we're on it, I can't believe people ever existed without wheels. What were they thinking? :rolleyes:
    al28283 wrote: »

The Japanese banned wheels because they were causing ruts in the roads

• Advertisement

Thats because they had spaceships !
    :rolleyes:

It's been proven they used hot air balloons :p

Advertisement