Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

My favorite is the Axeman of New Orleans - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axeman_of_New_Orleans

"Not everyone was intimidated by the Axeman. Some well armed citizens sent the newspaper invitations for the Axeman to visit their houses that night and see who got killed first. One invitation promised to leave a window open for the Axeman, politely asking that he not damage the front door."

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Another bizarre and gruesome unsolved one is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoneman

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

The Chupacabra is possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Makes me sick to the stomach thinking about it.

What do you mean the ugliest thing you've ever seen? Where'd you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭CallMeFlo

The murder of Junko Furuta was solved but is horrifying!

This is actually revolting!! Could you imagine being this poor girl in that situation? 44 days they done this to her! It's just sick :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

it's taken me two days to get through this thread, I would have finished sooner but I had to get some sleep in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dman001 wrote: »
    I've started watching Ancient Aliens on the History Channel after recommendations from this thread. Their theories are ridiculous, but it's fascinating looking into ancient writings, Hieroglyphs and religious scripts, and hearing scientists view on them!

No more ridiculous than the fairy tale that is the bible.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

THE PYRAMIDS of Egypt exist but if they were a story in a book they would not be believed today by ANY Architect as possible.Is this idea true i wonder ?The Old TestaMENT IS VERY DEEP and subtle and oblique and layered.It's not a simple book and theres no excuse for not understanding it these days there are plenty of websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The disappearance of Harold Holt, Australian Prime Minister, in 1967. while swimming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt

It's quite likely that he drowned as he was in poor health at the time, the surf conditions were very rough and the area was notorious for riptides, but it's just so bizarre for a serving prime minister to disappear in such a fashion.
    His disappearance also led to several outlandish theories such as that he faked his own death to live with his mistress, and naturally that he was abducted by aliens :).

The Vanishing Hitchhiker:

Probably no more than an urban legend, but still pretty cool and a strangely specific story that seems to attach itself to certain times and places.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

paddyandy wrote: »
    THE PYRAMIDS of Egypt exist but if they were a story in a book they would not be believed today by ANY Architect as possible.Is this idea true i wonder?
    Eh no, not really. They're easily explained. Not easily built, but they did it and we know how they did it and they sometimes got it wrong too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

In 1937 whalers were disecting a Sperm whale and discovered a strange carcass of the type that none of them recognised. They sent the carcass to a museum director in british columbia who without conducting a proper examination threw it out declaring it a fetal baleen whale. The creature was disected out of the first stomach of a sperm whale, this is important because the creature wouldnt have been digested completely. This was not a fetal baleen whale as these whalers knew what a fetal baleen whale looked like.

The creature had a head like a horse or a camal and had a serpent like body. A simular creature called caddy is often seen in the costal waters of British columbia by reliable witnesses. The combination of witness sightings and the body recovered from the sperm whale Caddy has a scientific name cadborosaurus willsi.

The below video includes an interview with a marine biologist, one of the surviving whalers who saw the body and the picture of the body, its well worth watching so check it out.

A fisherman recently recorded footage of what he alleges is a caddy. The footage isnt great but Its interesting all the same. Particulary interesting is the way it spouts water when it raises its head out of the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Accidental time travel: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread654152/pg1

Also Amelia Earhart is a nice one. That said I believe she was found on a planet in cryo stasis on the other side of the Galaxy by Captain Janeway cira 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

No more ridiculous than the fairy tale that is the bible.

He never said it wasn't :confused::confused::confused::confused: .

Also, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Really exciting story.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

This one, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The disappearance of Samantha Knight in Bondi, 1986, was a massive story. Reading this thread, I got to thinking about the story and it turns out that in 2001 some guy was charged with her murder.

I had left Australia by then so had no idea anyone had ever been charged with her murder.

Very sad.

http://www.crimecasefiles.com/forum/famous-crime-cases/10158-samantha-knight-little-girl-lost.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

The seemingly obvious answer to this mystery is that it was an avalanche. Why don’t people believe that this is the case?

The answer to this question has been compiled by a combination of review, first hand testimony and personal investigation. The evidence against an avalanche is as follows:

Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths.

The matter was classified by the Russian government until 1993.

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/03/08/the-dyatlov-pass-accident-and-the-fatal-unknown-compelling-force/

The theory is not that there was an avalanche, the theory is that they thought there was an avalanche, which explains why they would run from their tent not fully dressed.

BTW, 'compelling unknown force' sounds ominous, but in reality it's an incorrect translation of force majeure, a legal phrase meaning unavoidable accident or event such as a hurricane (for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A fisherman recently recorded footage of what he alleges is a caddy. The footage isnt great but Its interesting all the same. Particulary interesting is the way it spouts water when it raises its head out of the water.

The Time Bandits? They released Chinese lanterns to make another guy think he saw aliens. I'd actually believe aliens over those guys :D

Daemos wrote: »
    The Time Bandits? They released Chinese lanterns to make another guy think he saw aliens. I'd actually believe aliens over those guys :D

It wasnt them that made the video it was just featured on their show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

The disappearance of Harold Holt, Australian Prime Minister, in 1967. while swimming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Holt

It's quite likely that he drowned as he was in poor health at the time, the surf conditions were very rough and the area was notorious for riptides, but it's just so bizarre for a serving prime minister to disappear in such a fashion.
    His disappearance also led to several outlandish theories such as that he faked his own death to live with his mistress, and naturally that he was abducted by aliens :).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_e_QRSvPmeZA/TRRG8bVmfjI/AAAAAAAAAYY/Cf_r8WGaj1c/s1600/mistah+prime+minister+andy.png

By the way great thread op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

paddyandy wrote: »
    THE PYRAMIDS of Egypt exist but if they were a story in a book they would not be believed today by ANY Architect as possible.Is this idea true i wonder ?
    they weren't built by slaves.
    Once you plant wheat you don't really have to do much till harvest time, building pyramids kept the lower classes occupied. The workers ate bread and drank beer make from left over bread.

Pyramids were build over very long times, so totally possible with just human effort when you have thousands working on it. Also structurally the angle isn't that far off what you would get from a random pile of stones so not very difficult to do. You don't need aliens. You don't even need wheels to transport the stones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The theory is not that there was an avalanche, the theory is that they thought there was an avalanche, which explains why they would run from their tent not fully dressed.

BTW, 'compelling unknown force' sounds ominous, but in reality it's an incorrect translation of force majeure, a legal phrase meaning unavoidable accident or event such as a hurricane (for example).

The fear of avalanche is a reasonable theory but has some problems.

Would the skiers really be fooled by a jet flying overhead? Once they reached the trees would they not have realized that there had been no avalanche and immediately return to their tents? How could three people sustain such crippling injuries by falling into a shallow ravine? Also a study of the photographs indicates that there was actually a very, very small chance of an avalanche.

More than 100 expeditions to the region have been held since the event took place and none of them have ever reported conditions that might create an avalanche in this location

Dyatlov was an experienced skier and the much older Alexander Zolotarev was studying for his Masters Certificate in ski instruction and mountain hiking. Neither of these two men would have been foolish enough to allow the camp to be established anywhere in the path of a possible avalanche.

I think the biggest clue is in the actions of the Soviet authorities.

Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident.

The matter was classified by the Russian government until 1993.

"The original chief investigator Ivanov also revealed that he had been ordered by senior regional officials to close the case and classify the findings as secret. The authorities had been worried by reports from many eyewitnesses, including the weather service and the military, that “bright flying spheres” had been spotted in the area in February and March 1959, with a notable concentration of accounts dating from 17 February. “I suspected at the time and am almost sure now that these bright flying spheres had a direct connection to the group’s death,” Ivanov told Leninsky Put, a small Kazakh newspaper. "

"The files contained testimony from another group of adventurers, geography students, who had been camping about 50km (30 miles) south of the skiers on the same night. The leader of the group said they had seen strange orange spheres, or “balls of fire”, floating in the night sky in the direction of Kholat-Syakhl on the night the students died. Another wrote that they saw “a shining circular body fly over the village from the south-west to the north-east. The shining disc was practically the size of a full moon, a blue-white light surrounded by a blue halo. The halo brightly flashed like the flashes of distant lightning. When the body disappeared behind the horizon, the sky lit up in that place for a few more minutes.”

"Two years before the students disappeared, the Soviet Union had sent the first satellite into space from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan; two years after their deaths, in 1961, Yuri Gagarin would fly from Baikonur to become the first man in space in 1961. Could the Russ­ian space program have any bearing on the mystery?"

"Yury Kuntsevich the 10th member of the fateful expedition and its only sur­vivor says he led a group to the area in 2007, where they found a “cemetery” of scrap metal that suggested the military had conducted experiments there at some time. “We can’t say what kind of military technology was tested, but the catastrophe of 1959 was man-made,” he believes. "

"Last year, six members of the original search party and 31 independent experts gathered in Yekaterinburg for a conference organized by Ural State Technical University, the Dyatlov Foundation and several nongovernmental organizations. They concluded that the military had been carrying out tests in the area and had inadvertently caused the deaths. But “we still lack documents and ask the Defense Ministry, the Russian Space Agency and the FSB to provide us with them to obtain a full picture,” the partic­ipants said in a statement."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...I think the biggest clue is in the actions of the Soviet authorities....

i don't know why - the Soviet Union of the cold war classified everything and was paranoid about everything.

personally i find this 'weapons research' theory utterly laughable. the ultimate riposte to it is that apparently the Soviet Union developed a weapon that remotely destroyed people, blinded others, ripped branches off trees, ripped out tongues, and threw half a dozen people a mile.

and yet 30 years later they had never managed to weaponise it, and were still introducing Tanks, Aircraft and Guided Weapons that were constantly a generation behind that being deployed by NATO. does that sound like the products of a weapons industry that had developed a Death Ray in 1959?

OS119 wrote: »
    Soviet Union developed a weapon that remotely destroyed people, blinded others, ripped branches off trees, ripped out tongues, and threw half a dozen people a mile.

Who has said this, the only guess I've read is that it was possible a missile test which could explain them leaving their tent in a hurry with little clothes, the injuries could be explained by falls etc.

Who said anything about destroyed people, ripped out tongues, and threw half a dozen people a mile by a missile test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Who has said this, the only guess I've read is that it was possible a missile test which could explain them leaving their tent in a hurry with little clothes, the injuries could be explained by falls etc.

Who said anything about destroyed people, ripped out tongues, and threw half a dozen people a mile by a missile test?

But why would they sleep in light bed clothes anyway if they are in freezing temperatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The mystery of why at exactly the same time as I was reading Killer Pigeon's post in the Most Retarded Things thread about it getting to 100,000 views, the guy on the South Park episode on TV congratulated Stan and Kyle on getting past 100,000 points on Guitar Hero.....

Just a coincidence of course, but I always seem to get really strange coincidences like that in streaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

A memorial to Harold Holt was built in Victoria.

It was,of course, a swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

you really believe that in 1959 people would not have recognised a night time rocket firing?

do you believe they had been living in a cave in the upper Amazon for the previous 10 years?

even if they had been surprised by a relatively nearby rocket launch (and i'm given to understand the Strategic Rocket Forces of the Red Army didn't put adverts in Pravda), they would have gone outside, said 'ooohhh, a rocket launch, how cool. fcuk me its cold, get back in the tent and lets have a brew'.

they would not have run into forests and bitten their tongues off.

OS119 wrote: »
    you really believe that in 1959 people would not have recognised a night time rocket firing?

do you believe they had been living in a cave in the upper Amazon for the previous 10 years?

even if they had been surprised by a relatively nearby rocket launch (and i'm given to understand the Strategic Rocket Forces of the Red Army didn't put adverts in Pravda), they would have gone outside, said 'ooohhh, a rocket launch, how cool. fcuk me its cold, get back in the tent and lets have a brew'.

they would not have run into forests and bitten their tongues off.

God your right you've really thought this through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Headroom_broadcast_signal_intrusion_incident

Hacking before the internet was around. video is just weird, and they still dont know who was responsible 24 years later.

Advertisement