Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

cml387 wrote: »
    A strange story that I became aware of only recently is the mysterious disappearance of a US C-124 Globemaster aircraft 800 miles west of Shannon in 1951.

The aircraft was carrying US personnel to Lakenheath in the UK and vanished without radio message.

A massive search was undertaken,including the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea.

The search was so extensive that there were rumours that a nuclear weapon was on board (the Globemaster was a large transport aircraft).

Now here's the odd thing:

A month after the accident, a battered tin about the size of a paint can was washed ashore at Renvyle in Galway.Inside the tin,written on a piece of paper in ball point pen,was the following;

"Cullen is worried when 300 miles west of Ireland,Globemaster alters course for no apparent reason.We are going north.Have to be careful.We are under surveillance.Pieces of wreckage will be found but are not of G-Master.A terrible drama is being enacted on this liner."

The mystery remains to this day.

Source:"Cleared for disaster,Irelands most horrific air crashes" by Michael O'Toole Mercier Press 2006

Wreckage was found. 53 personnel however were recorded as MIA. The reason for the massive search might be that there was a Brigadier General (Cullen) aboard. Interestingly, he used to be a pilot and walked away from another crash in the 30s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Thanks cml, just bought that book. Looks interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Atuk. Apparently a cursed film script. A lot of terrible coincidence I'd say but still very eerie to read!

Atuk is most famous for supposedly being cursed and, according to legend, responsible for the deaths of several major comedic actors in the 1980s and 1990s. The "Atuk Curse" has become one of the better known urban legends of Hollywood. Its first victim, supposedly, was John Belushi, who had read the script and was reportedly enthusiastic about taking on the role of Atuk. Shortly afterwards, he was found dead of a drug overdose in 1982.

After Belushi's death the part was offered to comedian Sam Kinison, who accepted it in 1988. Kinison filmed at least one scene for the film before he grew dissatisfied with the script and demanded parts of it be re-written, halting production. His leaving the film led the production company to file a lawsuit against him which was a large part in of making him destitute when it finally settled. Not long afterward, while talks were underway to continue the project, Kinison died in a car crash in 1992.

The curse supposedly struck again in 1994 when John Candy, who had been approached for the role of Atuk, was reading the script when he suddenly died of a heart attack, on March 4 (the day before the 12th anniversary of Belushi's death). It was around this point in the production's history that the press began to speak of a curse. Some believe the curse struck twice that year, since in November Michael O'Donoghue died of a cerebral hemorrhage. O'Donoghue was a writer and comedian who was also a friend of Belushi and Kinison and, the story goes, had read the script (in some versions even worked on it) before recommending it to them.

The most recent victim of the "Atuk Curse" is said to be Chris Farley, who idolized John Belushi. Like his idol, he was up for the role of Atuk, and was about to accept when, also like his idol, he died of a drug overdose in December 1997 at the age of 33 (the same age as Belushi). According to some versions the curse would strike once more, only six months later in May 1998 when Farley's friend and former Saturday Night Live cast-mate, Phil Hartman, was murdered by his wife. Farley is said to have shown the Atuk script to Hartman, before his death, and was encouraging him to take a co-starring role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Has the Solway Firth Spaceman been mentioned yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solway_Firth_Spaceman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Thunderbird Photograph

The Thunderbird Photograph has become a phenomenon unto itself -- a photo that so many have seen but no one can find.

http://www.strangemag.com/strangemag/strange21/thunderbird21/thunderbirdintro21.html

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=154300&st=0
    That is absolutely bizarre that they couldn't find that photo. It looks fake though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I'd like to see a reasonable explanation of Ed Leedskalnin and his Coral Castle, it has always intrigued me. Who was this guy? How did he accomplish this on his own?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

A body is found at Sandringham, dumped while Prince Philip is in hospital and seen by dozens of witnessess.

How convenient.

I realise the above is utter rubbish but Im still somewhat surprised the crowd in the conspiracy forum havent thrown that one out there. That place is gas altogether :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

A body is found at Sandringham, dumped while Prince Philip is in hospital and seen by dozens of witnessess.

How convenient.

I realise the above is utter rubbish but Im still somewhat surprised the crowd in the conspiracy forum havent thrown that one out there. That place is gas altogether :pac:

Give them time , give them time......

Surprising how many people have put madeleine McCann as their all time mystery , am I the only one in these parts to be suffering from ' Maddie fatigue ' and completely bored by all the publicity ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Did Tony Soprano get whacked or not. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

A strange story that I became aware of only recently is the mysterious disappearance of a US C-124 Globemaster aircraft 800 miles west of Shannon in 1951.

The aircraft was carrying US personnel to Lakenheath in the UK and vanished without radio message.

A massive search was undertaken,including the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea.

The search was so extensive that there were rumours that a nuclear weapon was on board (the Globemaster was a large transport aircraft).

A month after the accident, a battered tin about the size of a paint can was washed ashore at Renvyle in Galway.Inside the tin,written on a piece of paper in ball point pen,was the following;

"Cullen is worried when 300 miles west of Ireland,Globemaster alters course for no apparent reason.We are going north.Have to be careful.We are under surveillance.Pieces of wreckage will be found but are not of G-Master.A terrible drama is being enacted on this liner."

Source:"Cleared for disaster,Irelands most horrific air crashes" by Michael O'Toole Mercier Press 2006

more on it here

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/03/ap-planes-1951-disappearance-still-a-mystery-032611/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Has the Solway Firth Spaceman been mentioned yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solway_Firth_Spaceman

That is creepy.... but I can't help think it looks like "The Stig"... :P

Saw this one a few years back too... guessing it's a photo lab development mixup/error:

http://www.shopoflittlehorrors.com/Alien%20Species%20Index%20%28ghost%20on%20the%20london%20underground%29.html

Tazio wrote: »
    That is creepy.... but I can't help think it looks like "The Stig"... :P

Saw this one a few years back too... guessing it's a photo lab development mixup/error:

http://www.shopoflittlehorrors.com/Alien%20Species%20Index%20%28ghost%20on%20the%20london%20underground%29.html

Creepy too :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Lord Lucan has me demented ..where is he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

paddyandy wrote: »
    Lord Lucan has me demented ..where is he ?

Behind the couch..........with Jesus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

A recent study attests that 75% of America believe that there was a second shooter in the JFK assassination and more than half the witnesses heard or saw a shot from the grassy knoll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXI0WSlTGw&feature=related

You know, you never hear anything about the grassy knoll unless it is brought up in association with JFK... I question the validity of the grassy knoll, that's the real conspiracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futility,_or_the_Wreck_of_the_Titan

Interesting coincidences between that book and the actual sinking of the Titanic despite being written years before...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Cullen is worried...."

http://pormen.homeip.net/page33.html
    “However, there was still another twist to the story. On the morning of Saturday, 28 April, over a month after the disappearance of the Globemaster, John Faherty, a sixty-year-old unmarried farmer, was out walking on the beach near his home at Tullybeg, Renvyle, Co. Galway. This beach was frequently strewn with driftwood and some years earlier an explosive mine had been found there, apparently washed in by the currents.

It was about 9.30 a.m. and high tide when Faherty, who lived with his unmarried sister, came upon a battered cylindrical tin can which had not been there when he walked the beach the previous evening.

The tin was about four and five-eighths inches in height by three and a half inches in diameter - a size which would usually contain about 2 lbs of paint. The lid of the tin was flat, with a lip all round which allowed easy removal and replacement and rendered the tin air-tight when pressed home.

When Faherty examined the tin he found the sides somewhat battered and slightly rusted. There were marks of scraping of a regular pattern on the outside such as might be made by a screwdriver or chisel in an effort to remove identification markings.

There were also traces of white adhesive paper such as that used for labelling and small patches of what appeared to be blue paint on the outside of the tin.

Faherty opened it without too much difficulty. Inside he found the following message: 'Cullen is worried when 300 miles west of Ireland, Globemaster alters course for no apparent reason. We are going north. Have to be careful. We are under surveillance. Pieces of wreckage will be found but are not of G-Master. A terrible drama is being enacted on this liner.'

The message was written by hand in blue-black ink with a ballpoint pen on a small scrap of thin white paper which appeared to have been carefully torn from a larger sheet. The message was written on both sides of the paper. The writing was quite clear and firm, suggesting that the author was accustomed to writing regularly or frequently and that he took some care in writing this message.

Now here's the odd thing
    There was no signature, date, time, or position by latitude or longitude, such as might be expected if written by a person with military or technical training.

The paper was quite dry and crisp, suggesting that it was not long in the container, in which it should have otherwise become damp from condensation caused by changes in temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

'Cullen is worried when 300 miles west of Ireland, Globemaster alters course for no apparent reason. We are going north. Have to be careful. We are under surveillance. Pieces of wreckage will be found but are not of G-Master. A terrible drama is being enacted on this liner.'

Who do you suppose wrote this? And what does he mean by liner?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

Jaafa wrote: »
    'Cullen is worried when 300 miles west of Ireland, Globemaster alters course for no apparent reason. We are going north. Have to be careful. We are under surveillance. Pieces of wreckage will be found but are not of G-Master. A terrible drama is being enacted on this liner.'

Who do you suppose wrote this? And what does he mean by liner?

Well I said it's a mystery. Liner presumably refers to the aircraft.

Any regular Liverpool visitors here? Apparently you can go back in time on a well known shopping street http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0300whatson/0800events/2003/10/30/let-s-do-time-warp-again-50061-13572570/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Well I said it's a mystery. Liner presumably refers to the aircraft.

I know but if anyone has any general ideas, it just seems kinda detached like someone was writing about the event afterwards, or watching it from afar.

Also I had the impression that liner meant a boat of some sort. As in cruise liner.

Very good new reasoning behind the "Cumberland Spaceman"

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Why blondes are so attracted to me :D and that`s just how I look when I smile :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richey_Edwards#Disappearance

The disappearance of Richey Edwards, guitarist with the Manic Street Preachers. Would love to know what happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

The Mystery of the Unsolved Favourite.

afrodub wrote: »
    Why blondes are so attracted to me :D and that`s just how I look when I smile :D:D

Georgia? Is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭afrodub

Georgia? Is that you?

Last time I checked my ID no, I just double checked answer..still no sorry :D

BTW You can consider that mystery solved, end the thread mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fbi-asks-public-to-help-crack-code-in-murder-case-2260827.html

2 coded messages found in the pocket of a murder victim. FBI are still hoping amateurs can help break the code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I'd also like to know what happened Trevor Deely and what is this mysterious creature

• Advertisement

al28283 wrote: »
    I'd also like to know what happened Trevor Deely and what is this mysterious creature

"This is my special Leprechaun flute" :D

Advertisement