Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

You can't tell me you've never laughed at a joke about the war? The holocaust?

Reflecting upon it, the closest to laughing around those subjects I would have gotten would have been the Fawlty Towers ''Don't mention the war'' episode or Mel Brooks ''The Producers'' but in all of those cases, even if the War didnt' get them, everyone made fun of etc is already dead due to limitations on the natural lifespan whereas the idea or notion that Madeline could be still alive and imprisoned somewhere while the rest of us laugh and enjoy our freedom I find genuinely upsetting. I'm not upset because it's popular. I'm genuinely upset. I don't read the newspapers or follow the herd and couldn't care less about popular opinion. I haven't read a newspaper in well over 5 years. People have the freedom in a free society to make fun of Madeline's bad luck but I also have the freedom to express myself about this too.

Catholic paedophilia?

I've laughed at the perpetrators but not at the victims many of whom are still alive. How is it right to laugh at the victims ? Most catholic paedophilia, nazi war jokes etc are all about making fun of the bad guy. How is it right to make fun of someone who suffered more than most of us ever will understand and if still around probably still suffers psychologically ? Even if some or a lot of people have zero respect for Madeline's parents, what about the parents of those who are in a similar situation who's hearts are broken ? How can you tell them just to cheer up and laugh at ''their'' problem ? A part of me thinks that theres a lot of lackadaisical attitudes to details which are partly at fault for why the world or country is in such a mess in the first place and not just in this kind of issue but everywhere where bs is tolerated and seen as a joke instead of tackled head on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Touché, maybe I'll think twice the next time I laugh at a Frankie Boyle joke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

A Man In Black in Yorkshire

Another MIB encounter – perhaps the strangest of all – took place in the seaside town of Scarborough, North Yorkshire in 1968. Adele (a pseudonym), who was sixteen at the time, answered the door to what appeared to be a very strange insurance salesman. He was tall, wore a black suit and tie, and had a ‘florid’ complexion. After staring at the sixteen year old and smiling for an unnerving length of time he ‘jerked’ into action and asked Adele “do you have insurance? Is it now?” Adele later remarked that his voice seemed to be computerised.

She suggested that the insurance salesman come back later when her parents were home. At that moment, the man suddenly began to sweat profusely. He removed his hat to reveal a bald and extremely pale head. Adele could now see that he was wearing makeup to darken his face. “Can I see a glass of water?” the MIB asked. Inviting the man in because this was before “Stranger Danger”, Adele fetched him a glass of water and he did just that – he looked at the glass of water and set it aside.

Next, he turned his attention to a clock on the mantelpiece. Adele told the MIB that the clock was her father’s retirement present, at which he seemed baffled. “Is it your father’s time?” he asked, “Is it here and now?” Then the MIB seemed to freak out like a malfunctioning robot. He began repeating “your father – his time” over and over and became stiff and immobile. Turning to the door he had to use his hands to move one of his legs. He told Adele to “watch the lights” before leaving in a hurry, disappearing down the street impossibly quickly.

What did he mean when he said ‘watch the lights?’ – Adele would soon find out. Shortly after the MIB left, Adele’s living room filled with small bright lights, which danced around before exiting through the window. Was this a robotic MIB agent, built by aliens and sent to add a little magic to the sleepy Yorkshire town? Or was it just a sweaty creeper with alopecia and a laser pen?

http://www.weirdworm.com/3-unbelievable-encounters-with-the-real-men-in-black/

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

The assassination of John F Kennedy

What was the real motive behind it....and who did it? The Mafia, the CIA, the Soviets, the Cubans.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭KirkCheated09

Who the fcuk let the dogs out! ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The assassination of John F Kennedy

What was the real motive behind it....and who did it? The Mafia, the CIA, the Soviets, the Cubans.....

Great question that unfortunately we'll probably never be able to answer. The thing that we can sure of is that Oswald did not act alone, recent tests carried out in the book depository building proved it impossible to fire off the number of bullets in the time given. That second shooter disappeared and is probably dead by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

All those unpaired socks from the washing machine - where do they go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Unfortunately the JFK conspiracy theory industry has planted so many falsehoods into the story that it is very hard to separate fact from fiction.
    They say Oswald was a poor shot , eh actually he was a qualified Marine Corps sharpshooter - it is sad and disturbing to think the movie JFK is shown in American Schools as the '' true story '' of the assassination and this notwithstanding the massive artistic licence used throughout.

Oh and yeah - the New Orleans DA Jim Garrison was a looney - he was discharged from the US Army during WW2 for psychaictric illness - Oliver Stone never mentioned that or that he theorized that up to 5 gunmen were involved including guys shooting from the sewers..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The Baltic UFO mystery > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093279/Shipwreck-hunters-mysterious-UFO-like-object-the-Baltic-Sea.html
    High resolution image: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/29/article-2093279-118114A7000005DC-598_472x368.jpg

Although it probably won't be a mystery for much longer, as the team plan to dive later this spring to find out exactly what it is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Delancey wrote: »
    They say Oswald was a poor shot , eh actually he was a qualified Marine Corps sharpshooter - it is sad and disturbing to think the movie JFK is shown in American Schools as the '' true story '' of the assassination and this notwithstanding the massive artistic licence used throughout.
    JFK is a great piece of entertainment, and perhaps did a lot to put the whole assassination back into the minds of a new generation, but it's a piece of Hollywood entertainment at best and perhaps did more to muddy the waters than any black-op counter-intelligence programme. Stone really has a lot to answer for.

LHO was actually a very competent rifleman, earning the second highest grade of rifleman during his time with the USMC. Garrison was as nutty as a fruitcake, and not the all American hero as portrayed in the film.

The key to the riddle is E. Howard Hunt and his deathbed confessions. LHO is just a distractive sideshow in the unravelling of the 'Big Event'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,092 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not including toast falling butter side down as I think someone has done research on that and figured it out.

My current mystery is how all the washing in the washing machine gets inside the quilt cover in the wash. I just hauled a load out of the machine and everything - sheet, pillow cases and a couple of other bits, inside the quilt cover. How does that happen? The cover was even partially fastened, but still it managed to swallow everything else. And even when you think you have emptied everything out, and the cover has been dried, there is a damp little bundle of a sock or pants in the corner, lurking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Philip Kerns, where did he go?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I remember a similar thread to this that was actually really interesting.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056363952

There it is if anyone wants to give it a look...

looksee wrote: »
    Not including toast falling butter side down as I think someone has done research on that and figured it out.

You know the way cats always land on their feet?
    Well what if you stick some buttered toast to the cat's back?
    What way will it land?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What way will it land?

Depends...are it's arms and legs taped?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

It's toast, doesn't have limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Where to start?

Animal cruelty or a biology lesson....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

looksee wrote: »

My current mystery is how all the washing in the washing machine gets inside the quilt cover in the wash. I just hauled a load out of the machine and everything - sheet, pillow cases and a couple of other bits, inside the quilt cover. How does that happen? The cover was even partially fastened, but still it managed to swallow everything else. And even when you think you have emptied everything out, and the cover has been dried, there is a damp little bundle of a sock or pants in the corner, lurking.

Because you probably fcuked everything into the quilt cover, carried it downstairs and then fcuked it into the machine.

Mystery solved. I'm a fcuking genius.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Merge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,092 ✭✭✭✭looksee

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Because you probably fcuked everything into the quilt cover, carried it downstairs and then fcuked it into the machine.

Mystery solved. I'm a fcuking genius.

No I didn't! No its not. You might well be :D
    Merge

Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

What way will it land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Why do women make headset things out of their cocktail straws and take pics of each other in the bog when they're pissed, esp. hen nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The pangboche hand - is it really from a yeti

And what the hell was Jimmy Stewart doing helping to smuggle it out of the country?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

retalivity wrote: »
    And what the hell was USAF Brigadier General Jimmy Stewart doing helping to smuggle it out of the country?
    USAF, you know the guys with the stargate ...

The man who shot Liberty Valance was a badass and I for one wouldn't be standing in his way
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart#Military_service As a means to inspire his new group, Stewart flew as command pilot in the lead B-24 on numerous missions deep into Nazi-occupied Europe. These missions went uncounted at Stewart's orders. His "official" total is listed as 20 and is limited to those with the 445th. In 1944, he twice received the Distinguished Flying Cross for actions in combat and was awarded the Croix de Guerre. He also received the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters. In July 1944, after flying 20 combat missions, Stewart was made Chief of Staff of the 2nd Combat Bombardment Wing of the Eighth Air Force, and though he was no longer required or expected to fly missions, he continued to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It's toast, doesn't have limbs.

Gooby pls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What way will it land?

Problem solved
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Buttered_cat.png

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

What happened to Lord Lucan ....?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

USAF, you know the guys with the stargate ...

The man who shot Liberty Valance was a badass and I for one wouldn't be standing in his way
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart#Military_service

nancy boy pilot! A grunt would be wayyyyy cooler

must say fair play for him trying to stay as low key as possible and giving up a cushy training job for actual missions though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

There are many more like that on that youtube channel.

Advertisement