Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

How come us men can't put a cover on a duvee, but women seem to be able to do so with such ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Alpish wrote: »
    Gef

In September, 1931, the Irving family — James, Margaret and daughter Voirrey (13) — claimed to hear persistent scratching and rustling noises behind their farmhouse’s wooden wall panels. At first they thought it was a rat, but then the unseen creature began making different sounds, sometimes spitting like a ferret, or growling like a dog, or gurgling like a baby. The creature soon revealed an ability to speak, and introduced itself as Gef, a mongoose. It claimed to have been born in New Delhi, India, in 1852. According to Voirrey, who was the only person to see him properly, Gef was the size of a small rat, with yellowish fur and a large bushy tail (the Indian mongoose is in reality much larger than a rat and does not have a bushy tail).

Gef variously claimed to be “an extra extra clever mongoose”, an “earthbound spirit” and “a ghost in the form of a weasel”. He once said, “I am a freak. I have hands and I have feet, and if you saw me you’d faint, you’d be petrified, mummified, turned into stone or a pillar of salt!” Voirrey Irving, who took Gef under her wing, died in 2005. In an interview published late in life, she maintained that Gef was not her creation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gef_the_talking_mongoose

Solved!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Alpish wrote: »
    Gef the “extra extra clever mongoose”

The story was widespread throughout Britain in the early 1930s due to extensive press coverage, but apparently no one other than the Irvings ever claimed to have heard Gef speak, or even saw him, though some neighbours claimed to have heard "strange noises" outside their homes.

I call shenanigans

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

Fart wrote: »
    I remember this very well. My grandparents lived near where she was murdered. It has always intrigued me and I wonder if anyone will ever be caught.

I'm from the area.....its known but no talks about it...that the Gaurds know exactly who did it, yet could find no proof, evidence or anything to arrest.

Apperently they live local, work with knives and such in their job, and it was totally a random act...

Mad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Fantastic thread! Hours of great reading and I've only just skimmed it!

I've always been intrigued by the disappearance of Mary Boyle in Donegal in the 70s; I think it was mentioned in passing in this thread. I remember seeing a programme on RTE about it, and one of the detectives who had investigated the case and since retired was in tears at the end of the show as he could not explain what happened. Reading the story just sends a chill down my spine, I feel really sorry for her family and what they must have gone through.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/jun/10/ukcrime.henrymcdonald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

How does Miriam look oot the ole onion bag :pac:

http://www.sacredsites.com/americas/peru/images/detail-stone-work-500.jpg

The walls at Machu Picchu the blocks are so perfectly laid you could not even stick a piece of paper in between the blocks anywhere at the joining s.

I have no idea how they did that, it would be one thing to sculpt each block perfectly to fit in with each other block, that would be a mammoth and impossible task on its own. But to do so with no metal tools, that is mind boggling. I think they had another method of doing this which to the best of my knowledge is currently unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

44leto wrote: »

The walls at Machu Picchu the blocks are so perfectly laid you could not even stick a piece of paper in between the blocks anywhere at the joining s.

I have no idea how they did that, it would be one thing to sculpt each block perfectly to fit in with each other block, that would be a mammoth and impossible task on its own. But to do so with no metal tools, that is mind boggling. I think they had another method of doing this which to the best of my knowledge is currently unknown.

...and done! What's that, nearly 4 hrs to read through 51 pages of this stuff :confused:

psychward wrote: »
    When I was 10 years old I got a Meccano set. Basically some kind of space shuttle model and space machines which you build yourself. Towards the end of the construction a small yet essential piece slipped from my hand and flew across the room. Easy to find it one might assume. WRONG. This was the beginning of about 12 hours of hell trying to get that one small piece back to finish the job. In the end I took everything from that room which could be unscrewed and shook it down before it left the security perimeter which I had set up. It was as tight as a ''clean room'' in Intel. The bed, wardrobe, everything down to the carpets were dusted off, cleaned down and placed outside. In my empty handed frustration sitting on the floor of an empty bedroom I even decided to pry up the floorboards even though there was no way that piece could have found a gap to slip under them. That fücking piece was nowhere to be found. So that essential but elusive Mecanno piece if you are reading this and perhaps you can read since you are so adept at hide and go seek. fück you Meccano piece fück you.

This has happened to me! Some of my most prized possessions disappeared without trace when I was a kid, but my older bro hated me, so it wasn't in the least bit mysterious. In 2002, I bought a Manics tshirt, limited edition. I had it until 2010, wore it on a night out down the local, two weeks later was looking for it to wear to a friend's birthday party, and it was missing. That was September 2010. I have since moved house, so everything has been packed up and moved away. I considered that it has fallen off the clothesline and been chewed up by the lawnmower, but the mower was so crap an icecream stick got stuck in it and jammed it, so no matter how long the grass was, we would have known had we run over a tshirt. I've thought it's possible someone climbed our fence, stole it, and climbed back out again, but given how flimsy our fence is, terribly unlikely. I thought maybe I'd worn it away and left it behind, but we hadn't been away anywhere. My tshirt literally disappeared without any trace. Not only that, I realised months later, a tshirt I rarely wore, a Morrissey tshirt, disappeared too. They just disapparated, They are just simply gone, without rhyme nor reason. The Morrissey tshirt I don't mind, but the Manics tshirt was my favourite for eight years. I just can't fathom what happened to it.

I also lost a hat in my parents' house some years ago. I assumed the cat had taken it and hidden it, she's an odd, moody cat, but it never showed up again either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

44leto wrote: »

Rub the blocks back and forth over each other for a long time. The stone gets ground down until the stones fit together snugly. Mystery solved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Be||e

7Sins wrote: »
    ...and done! What's that, nearly 4 hrs to read through 51 pages of this stuff :confused:
    I was up till all hours last night on this thread. By the time I was ready for bed, I was properly freaked out and jumping at shadows. :(

Had to stay up even later with some light reading to take my mind off it.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Why the f**k did reality TV ****e take over ?

Who were FF protecting ?

Will humanity ever become a worthwhile endeavour as per John Lennon's "Imagine" ?

Be||e wrote: »
    I was up till all hours last night on this thread. By the time I was ready for bed, I was properly freaked out and jumping at shadows. :(

:o

First time I got into this thread Springheel Jack and the Mount Pleasant Mothman kept me up for two days. I don't fare well with supernatural stuff. Then I read all about Springheel Jack, and got less freaked out, but the more I read about the mothman, the more frightened I became. I'm such a retard sometimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 526 ✭✭✭7Sins

Be||e wrote: »

redface.gif

Yea the mothman one's after freaking me out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

JFK Assasination.

An inside job sanctioned by the powers that be The Federal Reserve.

7Sins wrote: »
    Yea the mothman one's after freaking me out :(

Don't read the Wikipedia entries about it then, they'll only make it worse!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

grenache wrote: »
    JFK Assasination.

An inside job sanctioned by the powers that be The Federal Reserve.
    Crease: Now what are you saying, the NSA killed Kennedy?
    Mother: No, they shot him but they didn't kill him. He's still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

where the fook do all me socks go to?

and bobbins and clips...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Quality wrote: »
    where the fook do all me socks go to?

and bobbins and clips...

I put them up your bum while you sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

This has happened to me! Some of my most prized possessions disappeared without trace when I was a kid, but my older bro hated me, so it wasn't in the least bit mysterious. In 2002, I bought a Manics tshirt, limited edition. I had it until 2010, wore it on a night out down the local, two weeks later was looking for it to wear to a friend's birthday party, and it was missing. That was September 2010. I have since moved house, so everything has been packed up and moved away. I considered that it has fallen off the clothesline and been chewed up by the lawnmower, but the mower was so crap an icecream stick got stuck in it and jammed it, so no matter how long the grass was, we would have known had we run over a tshirt. I've thought it's possible someone climbed our fence, stole it, and climbed back out again, but given how flimsy our fence is, terribly unlikely. I thought maybe I'd worn it away and left it behind, but we hadn't been away anywhere. My tshirt literally disappeared without any trace. Not only that, I realised months later, a tshirt I rarely wore, a Morrissey tshirt, disappeared too. They just disapparated, They are just simply gone, without rhyme nor reason. The Morrissey tshirt I don't mind, but the Manics tshirt was my favourite for eight years. I just can't fathom what happened to it.

I also lost a hat in my parents' house some years ago. I assumed the cat had taken it and hidden it, she's an odd, moody cat, but it never showed up again either.

My problem is there was no-one to blame except this devious shapeshifting meccano piece which must have been given life and powers by some invisible laughing aliens. My parents were away for the weekend and granny was watching me. And I had no siblings at the time. I think I nearly gave her a heart attack when she realized that all the furniture from my room was outside on the street. I spent the next day cursing at the carpet while I tried to stretch it back to how it had been originally fitted but when my parents returned it was all back in place and they didn't have a clue what granny was talking about. They probably thought it was the initial stages of dementia :pac:

• Advertisement

I was out at the Swiss cottage for a work drinks break up one xmas. It was a free bar and I got completely rat arsed. I had a tiff with my then girlfriend who lived near the pub and where I was meant to be staying, so in a drunken huff I decided to go home.

It was snowing and the temperature was in the minuses and no taxi would stop for me as I was probably staggering. I remember sitting on a wall on the Oscar Traynor road, then falling over it.

Then I awoke in my bed. I had no idea how I got there, I asked did anyone remember me coming home as in the state of me I must have made a racket. It was a mystery for years.

But I was telling the story to someone and he said, "you must have concussed yourself from the fall". That never occurred to me, now I think Jaysus I nearly died and I never realised how very closed to death I was.

Is "Dave Dave" Michael Jackson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5Q4syywcw

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Is "Dave Dave" Michael Jackson?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En5Q4syywcw

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Why was Bronco Billy never released here on DVD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

My favourite unsolved mystery is what type of batteries does Ed Miliband take.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

I read all of this thread and by far the scariest unsolved mystery is the dyatlov pass incident and all the rational people who try and come up with rational explanations just make it more scary ,cause no one can explain everything that went on there. That meatloaf songs boggles the mind also, not only a crap song but a crap song that makes no sense .

I read all of this thread and by far the scariest unsolved mystery is the dyatlov pass incident and all the rational people who try and come up with rational explanations just make it more scary ,cause no one can explain everything that went on there. That meatloaf songs boggles the mind also, not only a crap song but a crap song that makes no sense .

Just Googled that, I wouldn't trust anything that came out of that country at that time (Russia 59) a lot of rumour would have added to perhaps a tiger or bear attack.

There would have been no free press to quell the rumours with an investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The Voynich manuscript

I'd tell you more but then Shaggy, Scoob and Dan Brown would be left with time on their hands.

A recent study attests that 75% of America believe that there was a second shooter in the JFK assassination and more than half the witnesses heard or saw a shot from the grassy knoll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXI0WSlTGw&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

A strange story that I became aware of only recently is the mysterious disappearance of a US C-124 Globemaster aircraft 800 miles west of Shannon in 1951.

The aircraft was carrying US personnel to Lakenheath in the UK and vanished without radio message.

A massive search was undertaken,including the aircraft carrier USS Coral Sea.

The search was so extensive that there were rumours that a nuclear weapon was on board (the Globemaster was a large transport aircraft).

Now here's the odd thing:

A month after the accident, a battered tin about the size of a paint can was washed ashore at Renvyle in Galway.Inside the tin,written on a piece of paper in ball point pen,was the following;

"Cullen is worried when 300 miles west of Ireland,Globemaster alters course for no apparent reason.We are going north.Have to be careful.We are under surveillance.Pieces of wreckage will be found but are not of G-Master.A terrible drama is being enacted on this liner."

The mystery remains to this day.

Source:"Cleared for disaster,Irelands most horrific air crashes" by Michael O'Toole Mercier Press 2006

Advertisement