Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

i think thats waterfords story again kilkenny over the years, if offaly have one thing over waterford is they know how to win all irelands;);)

Oh right yeah I see your point and the revelance it has to the dicussion at the moment...oh no wait, sorry I don't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

i think thats waterfords story again kilkenny over the years, if offaly have one thing over waterford is they know how to win all irelands;);)

Tap dancing All Irelands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭seananigans

no moreso than Clare or wexford ,seriously Tony Browne has a short memory of offaly winning an AI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

KevIRL wrote: »
    Best of luck to the team on Saturday, will be the first championship game I'll miss in about 10 years or so due to the fact I'm getting married this weekend. People asking me all week how are the nerves, fine says I, we'll beat Offaly.

Goway outa that, Kev. If you were any way a diehard fan, the wedding would be put on hold until the following week. :pac: (Seriously though, best of luck!)

Happy enough with the team, think we'll have enough to scrape through. One of those games where any win will do and not too concerned about the performance.
    Best of luck to the lads.

Hon the Deise!

P.S. tomkelly99 needs to come out of hibernation and do a match report for Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Best of luck Kev!

Before you walk down the aisle make sure to tell her not to get between you and the Waterford games again :-P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

shoddy14 wrote: »
    I expect us to win rather comfortably on Saturday probably by a minimum of 5 points. Offaly's performance against Kilkenny has been overhyped. They were unable to match Kilkenny in any area of the field in the second half. Another aspect was the easiness of the goals (3 fluke goals) which put a gloss on the scoreboard. I put their periods of dominance in the first hand down to the lack of intensity from they Kilkenny team and also the considerable assistance of the wind. Kilkenny still outscored them 11 scores to 8 in the first half. Waterford I believe will hurl ore freely on saturday night and will have learnt a lot from the clare game. I'd expect the younger players to flourish in a less pressurised atmosphere, Hopefully a good performance will set us up for the long summers road.

Think you are underestimating them there. One of the reasons they had Kilkenny on the back foot for long stages is because they battered the s**t out of them physically right from the off. They more than matched them in the physical stakes and were probably a bit over-agressive at times and maybe should have been down to 14 men. But then again to have any chance against KK you need to stand up to them in that department and its not often you see lads like Brian Hogan and Kieran Joyce struggling to get up off the floor after being blown out of it with a shoulder. I know in the end Kilkenny's class told in the end but then again it does against every team. On the contrast our complete lack of intensity for long stages against Clare is a worry.

Oh right yeah I see your point and the revelance it has to the dicussion at the moment...oh no wait, sorry I don't!

ah hes only having a bit of banter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Cake Man wrote: »
    P.S. tomkelly99 needs to come out of hibernation and do a match report for Sunday!

He should be sponsored by the Ulster Says No Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Almost no debate around the dropping of Ian O'Regan for SOK. While the latter would probably be my first choice, I don't think O'Regan did a whole lot wrong against Clare, and he'd have every right to be disappointed with his treatment. After being messed around my McCarthy as a young lad you couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

Also, I'm a little surprised to see Brian O'Sullivan included at corner forward. I haven't seen any senior club hurling this year, and I don't know how training is going, but his inclusion is surprising seeing as he wasn't even introduced as a sub against Clare. Guys like Martin O'Neill and Gavin O'Brien must be a bit bemused by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

hardybuck wrote: »
    Almost no debate around the dropping of Ian O'Regan for SOK. While the latter would probably be my first choice, I don't think O'Regan did a whole lot wrong against Clare, and he'd have every right to be disappointed with his treatment. After being messed around my McCarthy as a young lad you couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

Also, I'm a little surprised to see Brian O'Sullivan included at corner forward. I haven't seen any senior club hurling this year, and I don't know how training is going, but his inclusion is surprising seeing as he wasn't even introduced as a sub against Clare. Guys like Martin O'Neill and Gavin O'Brien must be a bit bemused by that.

Cant figure out the Ian O'Regan and SOK situation either, IOR was good enough to play against Clare and not now all of a sudden, he didnt do anything wrong against Clare its a very strange decision...

Similiar to decisions that were made last year, iirc in the Munster final against Tipp, Paul O brien, Eoin Kelly and Martin O neill came on. then the next day against Cork in the quarter final Tommy ryan started, even though 9 other forwards played before him in the munster final and then none of the three mentioned above came on, even though they were good enough to come on in a Munster fianl that was still in the balance. Instead one of the players that came on was Shane Casey who wasnt seen at all up to then.

Just some really weird decisions, I cant make sense of that at all, alot of heat has been off Ryan because of the better then expected showing in the league, I was prepared to give him a chance at the start, but his tenure has been a disaster when you look back on it, last year was a farce with all the selectors leaving and such like. if things like that happened with a junior team he would be gone... and yet its good enough for Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Aye, I personally think it's cruel. If Ian O'Regan is sitting on the bench on Saturday, standing by his county despite all the slights he has endured over the years, then he's the biggest man of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Wish I could go. Alas, Tullamore, like Thurles, is not an easy place to get to if you don't have a car or don't want to spend about 10 hours on public transport.

You can actually get to Tullamore from Waterford by train in 2hrs 40mins on Saturday afternoon (changing in Kildare). Unfortunately, there is no train or bus that will get you back after the match but you might meet someone who would give you a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

O'Sullivan was only finished exams the week of the clare game so wasn't really considered for selection, I thought he played well v limerick in 2011 and then missed games between injury and going to america!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Giveitfong wrote: »
    You can actually get to Tullamore from Waterford by train in 2hrs 40mins on Saturday afternoon (changing in Kildare). Unfortunately, there is no train or bus that will get you back after the match but you might meet someone who would give you a lift.
    Train is €28.69 each way, plus maybe another €30 for a hotel or B&B and a 4-hour return train journey on Sunday afternoon if I didn't manage to blag a lift home on the Saturday night. Fcuk. Decisions, decisions.....

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    O'Sullivan was only finished exams the week of the clare game so wasn't really considered for selection, I thought he played well v limerick in 2011 and then missed games between injury and going to america!

Agreed. I guess it's dependant on what the management is looking for. To me, Martin O Neill and Gavin O Brien are too slow to start (at this stage in their development anyway). O'Brien didn't do too bad when he came once the game loosened up a bit but I think he'd have minimal impact from the start.

The starting line up to me sends a clear message that we're looking for goals tomorrow. The two corner forwards will take on their men and have the pace to pose a real threat. Jake Dillon is also a goal threat in that forward line, and Maurice is a good creator of chances, though I'd say probably more from the half forward line. It does seem strange I guess that Brian O'Sullivan didn't get a run the last day, I know last year was quite peculiar but to be honest I think he's as good and probably even a better option than the other two mentioned.

Waterford Clare double anyone?

Personally, I don't think Brian O'Sullivan can survive in intercounty hurling. He's extremely light. Now, obviously, his pace is an advantage, but I'd be worried about him getting brushed aside by an experienced corner back.

Personally, I don't think Brian O'Sullivan can survive in intercounty hurling. He's extremely light. Now, obviously, his pace is an advantage, but I'd be worried about him getting brushed aside by an experienced corner back.

You could well be right but I don't see that O'Neill or O'Brien have any advantage in that sense? And he has pedigree (maybe a bit strong of a word) in the shape of that match against Limerick in 2011.

You could well be right but I don't see that O'Neill or O'Brien have any advantage in that sense? And he has pedigree (maybe a bit strong of a word) in the shape of that match against Limerick in 2011.

My recollection might be incorrect, but I can remember O'Neill having one match last year where he chipped over a couple of points and did well, and then was totally overlooked for the rest of the year? O'Brien probably had more chances and didn't take them.

If I had a choice of O'Sullivan and O'Neill, I'd pick O'Neill. He probably has less pace, but I think he's got more technical ability and a little more robust. He is an option as a freetaker also.

My recollection might be incorrect, but I can remember O'Neill having one match last year where he chipped over a couple of points and did well, and then was totally overlooked for the rest of the year? O'Brien probably had more chances and didn't take them.

If I had a choice of O'Sullivan and O'Neill, I'd pick O'Neill. He probably has less pace, but I think he's got more technical ability and a little more robust. He is an option as a freetaker also.
    In the league? definately not championship anyway, he came on with 5mins to go v clare last year and scored a point alright. I don't rate him as a corner forward he's better out the field. I'd go for O'Sullivan anyway he's been playing fitzgibbon the last 3 years and has done well, bit harsh people writing him off when this is only his 3rd championship start

• Advertisement

Jeez lads did ye not think IOR was poor against Clare? Made 2 or 3 shocking clearances one out over the sideline the other straight to a Clare player. That's basic stuff like. It was inevitable he was going to be replaced by SOK after that. Fair enough if there wasnt much competition but the fact that there is a top-class replacement it was a no-brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

http://www.hoganstand.com/Offaly/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=194922

everyone seems to be going against Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Based on performances this year you would have to say Ian O'Regan is way ahead of Stephen O'keeffe. IOR gave another solid performance against Clare, the only error he made was hitting one ball out over the sideline but in the course of 70mins that's minor. Have to say I am surprised to see SOK in goal considering the errors he made in the 3 league games he played in this year but I guess he deserves another chance. Very harsh on IOR though as he has proved to be the best of the two this year. I will not be impressed if we return to the short puckout nonsense against offaly.

PTH2009 wrote: »

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=194953 even our own are questioning us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

robopaddy wrote: »

In fairness the media always go against cos they feel we are always liable to be caught on the hop.... rte said although we are better than offaly that offaly are due to pull a shock. Thrrefore their match verdict went to offaly lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

PTH2009 wrote: »

Good.

Mullane was on 2fm Sport at 7 tonight standing by his comments on Mondays independent. To be fair I think hes hoping his comments will spark a reaction from the players tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

no moreso than Clare or wexford ,seriously Tony Browne has a short memory of offaly winning an AI

well he sure doesn't remember waterford winning one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

well he sure doesn't remember waterford winning one :D

hC98C7E69

• Advertisement

My recollection might be worse so don't worry about it. I don't remember that, was it a league game? I was down in Cork for the first one and I would surprised if that was the one. The next day was Kilkenny (I think, might have 2 and 3 mixed up) which I missed for some reason. It can't have been Tipp because we were hammered that day. I wasn't in Galway, it might have been Dublin but all I remember from that is O'Brien scoring 0-4 points.

He came on against Clare and scored a point. Dunno did he come on again after that, maybe that was it?

Based on what I've seen though, I wouldn't be starting him. Feel a bit harsh because he can hurl but at this level I'm not sure and certainly not the goal threat that the others could potentially be. Would love if he came on and made me eat my words tomorrow night of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement