Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any updates from Walsh park in the Waterford v Wexford challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

jesus. who were they playing, and how did a team that only managed to score 5 points get to a final ?

St Marys from Belfast. The CBS got to the final of this competition in 2010 but lost to a northern team. This current team is just an exceptional crop of players

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

robopaddy wrote: »
    Yea Congrats to the CBS lads, another cricket-score win but lets not kid ourselves they were MILES too good for this competition and should really have been made to enter the Harty Cup as a stand alone team. I know they are entering it next year but the vast majority of this team will be gone.

days like this make me proud to be a dungarvan man

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Brilliant result for Dungarvan yesterday, What an exceptional side they are. Hope to see a good few of these lads line up for the county in the future.
    Great win for Clare today they look an extremely dangerous side for us to face in June. Well able to register high score's unlike ourselves in the league this year but it must be remembered nobody registered a big score against us so its all to play for. Pity we do not have any meaningful game's between now and then, it is to long between our last league game to the start of championship. Lets hope it does not effect our performance on the big day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

jesus. who were they playing, and how did a team that only managed to score 5 points get to a final ?

St Marys from Belfast, its not their fault. As said already they came up against a Dungarvan CBS team that quite simply should not have been in this competition. The concept of an A' and B' competition is that the stronger teams compete in the Harty and the B' for teams the next level down. Its not to do with the size of the school its the standard of the team. The fact that the combined colleges team were in the Harty, CBS could effectively competed in this competition by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,537 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Waterford 1-18 Wexford 1-17 was FT score tonight in Walsh Park

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

KevIRL wrote: »
    Waterford 1-18 Wexford 1-17 was FT score tonight in Walsh Park

cheers

were you at it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Anyone know the starting 15 or have any match report?

cheers

were you at it ??
    Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Anyone know the starting 15 or have any match report?

Nope, wasnt at it, got some info from @DermotKeyes on Twitter

Wf'd Starting XV: O'Keeffe; Connors, Coughlan, Wyse; S Kearney, P Prendrgast, S Daniels; Twomey, Barrett; Shanahan, Mahoney; O'Brien, Heffernan, B O Sullivan, M O Neill

Dermot Keyes ‏@DermotKeyes

FT at Walsh Park: Waterford 1-18 Wexford 1-17. Noel Connors and Shane Kearney the Deise's best in what was a good workout for both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Wf'd Starting XV: O'Keeffe; Connors, Coughlan, Wyse; S Kearney, P Prendrgast, S Daniels; Twomey, Barrett; Shanahan, Mahoney; O'Brien, Heffernan, B O Sullivan, M O Neill

FT at Walsh Park: Waterford 1-18 Wexford 1-17. Noel Connors and Shane Kearney the Deise's best in what was a good workout for both counties.
    cheers lad

• Advertisement

nice one.

good to see Kearney getting a run, fantastic hurler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I seem to be the only one who looks back on September 2008 with anything resembling positivity. Yes, the match was awful. But seeing the crowd on the Quay the following day, I was fit to burst with pride. I've seen us play Division 3 hurling, for crying out loud. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

deiseach wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one who looks back on September 2008 with anything resembling positivity. Yes, the match was awful. But seeing the crowd on the Quay the following day, I was fit to burst with pride. I've seen us play Division 3 hurling, for crying out loud. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

The main positive looking back on it for me was that at least we got to experience that build up to the All Ireland final, and got to witness the colour and excitement that goes with it throughout the county. We had longed for that for years.

In the recent feature of Paul Flynn on Laochra Gaol he asked 'would it have been better if we'd never got there at all?' It was a brutally honest assessment and was interesting from a players point of view and kind of struck a chord that no matter how much we look back on it with regret, it hurts no one more than the players themselves.

The most heart-breaking thing for me was that the players deserved better than what happened on that day. The thrills and excitement they had given to the hurling world over the years but people will always remember that day aswell. Unfortunately that day was effectively the end of the road for some of these great players. Some might argue the end had already arrived but wasnt actually exposed until that day.

As for the next day on the quays in fairness it was the least the players deserved.

Is the minor match v Clare this week on in Dungarvan?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yea theyre having it there because of the lights issue incase of extra time!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Yep just in case it goes to extra time.

kensutz wrote: »
    Yep just in case it goes to extra time.

Any team announced for it yet?

apparently i have got a warning for trolling, because i said ""honn the banner"" in the cork forum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

apparently i have got a warning for trolling, because i said ""honn the banner"" in the cork forum

So you come on to this thread to tell us? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Sure thats exactly what you were at in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

robopaddy wrote: »
    Any team announced for it yet?

It will be interesting to see if they pick the best 15 this time around and if so will they be played out of position.

Naughty Naughty

Sure thats exactly what you were at in fairness!

it's not what i meant to do,and i actually taught i was on the Clare forum. in fairness there is a lot worse people out there trolling,and saying worse things. all i did was shout for the team i wanted to win. i was hopping back and fourth between both forums, i didnt mean to offend anyone.
    anyway no harm done.

it's not what i meant to do,and i actually taught i was on the Clare forum. in fairness there is a lot worse people out there trolling,and saying worse things. all i did was shout for the team i wanted to win. i was hopping back and fourth between both forums, i didnt mean to offend anyone.
    anyway no harm done.

Go into edit and delete it and then say three our Fathers and ten Hail Mary's for your penance. Don't ever make the mistake of landing in the wrong terrace when we play Cork in the future they have long memories :D

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Go into edit and delete it and then say three our Fathers and ten Hail Mary's for your penance. Don't ever make the mistake of landing in the wrong terrace when we play Cork in the future they have long memories :D

haha very good, i will do that right away padre ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Minor team for tomorrow announced:

1. Sean Clancy (Clonea)

2. William Hahessy (Clonea)

3. Sam O’Neill (Erin’s Own)

4. Barry Whelan (Tramore)

5. Tom Devine (Modeligo)

6. Austin Gleeson (Mount Sion)

7. Shane Bennett (Ballysaggart)

8. Michael Harney ( Bonmahon)

9. Mark O’Brien (Ferrybank)

10. Cormac Curran (Brickey Rangers)

11. Colm Roche (Shamrocks)

12. Adam Farrell (De La Salle)

13. Patrick Curran (Dungarvan)

14. Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater)

15. Michael Kearney (Ballyduff Upper)

Barry Whelan replaces Cian Leamy, Michael Harney and Tom Devine switch, Cormac Curran replaces Shane Bennett and Conor Gleeson replaces DJ Foran.

Very strong full forward line, and that's without Stephen Bennett. I hope they win Wednesday so they get him back fit. They could have a right cut off Munster if that happened.

1. Sean Clancy (Clonea)

5. Tom Devine (Modeligo)

Barry Whelan replaces Cian Leamy, Michael Harney and Tom Devine switch, Cormac Curran replaces Shane Bennett and Conor Gleeson replaces DJ Foran.

Very strong full forward line, and that's without Stephen Bennett. I hope they win Wednesday so they get him back fit. They could have a right cut off Munster if that happened.

Yes this does look a very impressive team. Some great young lads there who excelled in the Tony Forristal. I wonder will Fraher Field suit this team better as most of the team are from the west. Best of luck to them hope they can get the win. If they win would I be right in saying it would be Cork in a Cork venue.

1. Sean Clancy (Clonea)

5. Tom Devine (Modeligo)

Couldnt agree more. if they could get over the line tomorrow night (and thats a big if) with players rested after all the schools hurling played recently and with a fully fit stephen bennett we'd have a team that would take beating later in the summer.

Still not sure about a lot of the selections/positioning to be honest. Id be worried that the management dont really seem to know what there best team is. but best of luck to the lads anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Whilst this team will be better for the fact that there is more pace and power added to the half back line, i still have question marks re o brien ferry bank [i wonder will he be midfield?], I just get the impression as was mentioned above the selectors have no idea what they have and there is a sence of panic about what they are doing, i do how ever agree with the selection of tom devine at wing back expect a huge improvement there, also the selection of cormac curran is huge [hopefully midfield], i think Waterford will win, but just and then please get organised for the rest of the campaign , as it could lead to huge success, if managed properly, big IF!.PS Also looking to see young gleeson of formile for the full game hear great things about him, think young foran is unlucky, i thought it he did ok on scraps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I wonder will Fraher Field suit this team better as most of the team are from the west. Best of luck to them hope they can get the win. If they win would I be right in saying it would be Cork in a Cork venue.

Ehh...it's almost 50:50, but the majority of the team are from the East?

I don't think venue will make a huge difference, but Fraher the right call just in case they need the lights.

I actually played a minor championship game down in Fraher on time which ran into extra time, and we were touch and go for light coming towards the end on what was a very bright evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement