Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Thurles were beaten in the Harty Semi last year and didnt fair any better this year, it is a huge step up tbf, Im more familiar with Tipp obv so lets just take our situation as an example, we had Templemore, Nenagh and Thurles all competing in the Harty Cup, while Roscrea and Borrisokane contested the Vocational schools munster final, thats just them 5 that are all hurling at a very high level and merit representation we also had players playing with Doon CBS , not to mention the lads that simply dont attend a big or succesfull school - like Josh Keane who scored 2-09 last night.

The effect of schools hurling on intercounty is extremely minimal, obviously success at all levels is to be welcomed and gives a greater chance of success further up the line but the two are not as closely linked as many imagine.

Steven Daniels, Noel Connors, Philip Mahoney, Paudric Mahoney and Tony Madigan set to come on the team in the near future are all from the De La Salle Croke Cup teams of 07 and 08 so that's not a bad return for Waterford from a college team. If we can get that many from The Dungarvan Colleges I'd say that will be a fair return for us. Your right Keane is some find for ye he was brilliant last night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Robbed off the Waterford GAA Supporters Club - Dublin page

"Senior Hurling Challenge Match - Waterford V Wexford in Walsh Park on Sunday at 6.45pm."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Your right Keane is some find for ye he was brilliant last night.

I've seen him been fairly anonymous in games aswell, like if he was consistenly as good as he was last night wouldn't he have been on the panel last year?? This is he's last year minor.

When on song though he is a class act, seems to have bulked up a bit aswell so hopefully that will help, he's biggest problem up to now was he has been hurling club with Rockwell, then Golden and he's school is Cashel CBS so never really hurling at a decent level, hopefully been involved in the intercounty setup and third level next year and having better hurlers around him will help him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

tom devine looked oddly out of sorts, and well out of position

Well i regard devine as one of the best young hurlers in this county, but ive been told a lot of his focus this year has been on school work and the leaving cert! Ive been told he hasnt been hurling to much except for dungarvan colleges, so that might be why the slump last night, also 2 all irelands in the last 2 weeks didnt help.

I definetly think that the dungarvan colleges fullback line should have been at least on the bench, from what i have seen they are players who you can rely on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

The minor management have been consistently playing players out of position or not picking players who in most supporters eyes should have been starting for the last 3-4 years now. As long as this continues and we refuse to put out our best fifteen we are going nowhere at minor level. Given the level of talent and quality we have available it is nothing short of a scandal. IMO this is the strongest panel we have had in years. I don't like to name players at this level but there were 2-3 players blatantly played out of position last year and it appears we have the same issue again this year. It is difficult to understand in all honesty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 jibsalot

14 of current deise panel from dls collge teams
    reckon Patrick curran tadgh burke and dunford will be only 3 from dungarvan to come through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

jibsalot wrote: »
    reckon Patrick curran tadgh burke and dunford will be only 3 from dungarvan to come through
    I'd put good money on devine and harney making the senior team, I'd hate to see how darragh lyons is playing in 3 years if he's only in 3rd year now aswel!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twixaroo

I believe Seamus Keating has already been called in to join the seniors for a number of trainings. Not sure if he is officially part of the panel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Twixaroo wrote: »
    I believe Seamus Keating has already been called in to join the seniors for a number of trainings. Not sure if he is officially part of the panel though.
    think he turned it down, has the leaving cert this year and more than likely will chose rugby over gaa in the end

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    think he turned it down, has the leaving cert this year and more than likely will chose rugby over gaa in the end

Ya it seemed a strange one to call in a lad in leaving cert so close to the exams. Obviously very good at rugby too as I believe he didnt play minor last year due to the rugby commitments. Maybe Ryan was trying to capture him before he committed totally to the rugby?

• Advertisement

14?? I can get Socky, Daniels, Connors, Coughlan?, Killian FitzGerald?, Pauric, Dillon, Brian Sul.. Philip Mahony and David Sul not with panel at present so not included? Twomey was gone at that stage i'd imagine? Did Gavin O'Brien go to DLS College? Still a good return from 2 Colleges teams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

14?? I can get Socky, Daniels, Connors, Coughlan?, Killian FitzGerald?, Pauric, Dillon, Brian Sul.. Philip Mahony and David Sul not with panel at present so not included? Twomey was gone at that stage i'd imagine? Did Gavin O'Brien go to DLS College? Still a good return from 2 Colleges teams!

Nope Gavin O Brien went to St Pauls. I presume we're not including older players like Moran and Shane O Sullivan that might have gone in years gone by? Because they didn't come from DLS winning college teams, so wouldn't be a fair comparison.

Was Mark Wyse in DLS? There surely can't be 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

You'd be lucky to get that many from a county minor panel. Pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Lads come off it will ye, Jibsalot is only hopping balls look at his 7 posts, pure tripe he dishes out waiting for a bite.
    Twomey and Gavin O'Brien went to st.pauls jake Dillon was on that hearty team tho, Moran was gone then

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i really hope Clare win this game today

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

i really hope Clare win this game today

Seen at least one bookie had Clare at +1 for this. Cork seem to be showing their pedigree with a 4 point lead with 5 to go..

Seen at least one bookie had Clare at +1 for this. Cork seem to be showing their pedigree with a 4 point lead with 5 to go..

all even now bout 10 minutes or less left

clare winning n ow by a point 4 minutes left honn the banner

Who'd have thoughts you'd be getting regular updates on a game between Clare and Cork on a Waterford GAA thread :D

i just want clare to win simple reason, put manners on the langers :-D

• Advertisement

i just want clare to win simple reason, put manners on the langers :-D

Extra time

Mon the Banner lol,

ill be cursing them come june, but still f**k the langers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was hoping itd be on TG4
    Fcuking football

its some game, clare after hitting 9 wides maybe 10

edited 17 wides they hit

its some game, clare after hitting 9 wides maybe 10

edited 17 wides they hit

Real pity they're not televising this, even gaa.ie thinks its on TG4!

All even now it would seem (at last web update), and in extra time..

Chinpool wrote: »
    Was hoping itd be on TG4
    Fcuking football

Would like to know what genius decided to put the football and hurling on the same weekend, given there's only 6/ 7 weekends of it. Terrible decision for the promotion of the hurling league.

i think its getting defferd coverage on tg4 at 5:30 not 100% on that now

i think its getting defferd coverage on tg4 at 5:30 not 100% on that now

Checked earlier, and Laochra Gael was scheduled for 5.30, unless that's changed..

Clare ahead by three..

• Advertisement

hopefully they can hold onto the lead, nothing would make me more happy than having cork in 1b next year..

but if cork go down, we will have a new league format next year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement