Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

hopefully they can hold onto the lead, nothing would make me more happy than having cork in 1b next year..

but if cork go down, we will have a new league format next year

If the latter, good riddance to this format, as its no good for hurling, imo. If they want 6 team divisions, think it would be much better to have a real 1A and 1B, with a range of teams from the best to the rest in each group..

Clare ahead by three..

Make that two, seems someone was overzealous with the Clare scoreline on http://www.livegaelic.com/scores/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,541 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

If the latter, good riddance to this format, as its no good for hurling, imo. If they want 6 team divisions, think it would be much better to have a real 1A and 1B, with a range of teams from the best to the rest in each group..

I dont mind the 6 team divisions to be honest but there isnt enough games and the 4th place team (us twice now) having no games in April is crazy. I would leave it at 6 teams but have everyone play each other home and away. Thats 10 games per team and would be great to have 5 home games every year

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

i agree with you, while this year has being completive. its a joke really

All Clare traffic now it would seem, Clare a head by 4, is there a way back for Cork.. must be hardly nothing left in the game now..

• Advertisement

YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

i agree with you, while this year has being completive. its a joke really

Only winner is Allianz, with this league format..

EDIT: make that probably neutrals too..

Good win by Clare it would seem, I honestly suspected the JBM factor might have been the difference in this backs to the wall game. Wonder if we will see a league format change now..

Good win by Clare it would seem, I honestly suspected the JBM factor might have been the difference in this backs to the wall game. Wonder if we will see a league format change now..

I'd say put everything you own on that. if cork kk or tipp went down to 1B we would get a new format

the cork clare game starting on tg4 now they just showed them warming up anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

League format is perfect as it is. Nice competitive Division 1A with a Division 1B that has Cork, Wexford, Limerick, Offaly, Antrim and Laois. If that Division 2 cant generate interest then hurling is doomed.

O Riain wrote: »
    League format is perfect as it is. Nice competitive Division 1A with a Division 1B that has Cork, Wexford, Limerick, Offaly, Antrim and Laois. If that Division 2 cant generate interest then hurling is doomed.

I agree, but there isnt enough games. Home and away fixtures for all teams would sort that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

KevIRL wrote: »
    I agree, but there isnt enough games. Home and away fixtures for all teams would sort that

You could take out the Walsh Cup but it's still alot of games and with the winter training ban (alright I know that it's not closely adhered too) I wonder would managers be in favour of it. Like you need an off season for the physical development of players and players also need a rest, but with an extended league format off the back of play club championship they won't really get that.

Be interesting to see what happens to Cork now. They surely can't change the league format.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Great win for Dungarvan CBS today, 3 All Ireland's in three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I agree, Home and Away games with the top 2 fighting for the 1A title rather then semi-finals.

You could take out the Walsh Cup but it's still alot of games and with the winter training ban (alright I know that it's not closely adhered too) I wonder would managers be in favour of it. Like you need an off season for the physical development of players and players also need a rest, but with an extended league format off the back of play club championship they won't really get that.

Be interesting to see what happens to Cork now. They surely can't change the league format.

Getting rid of semi finals and final and relegation games would free up a couple of weeks anyway.

Getting rid of semi finals and final and relegation games would free up a couple of weeks anyway.

Couldn't see Division 1B teams agreeing to relegation? And if theres no final/semi finals wouldnt it lose its comeptitive edge? In fact with the extra games I'd say it's certain too.

I get what your saying though, particularly from our own point of view we do have a long break before the championship and could do with the extra game or two like. Mind you, I'm just delighted we're playing in 1A again next year.

Couldn't see Division 1B teams agreeing to relegation? And if theres no final/semi finals wouldnt it lose its comeptitive edge? In fact with the extra games I'd say it's certain too.

I get what your saying though, particularly from our own point of view we do have a long break before the championship and could do with the extra game or two like. Mind you, I'm just delighted we're playing in 1A again next year.

There would still be relegation, just no playoff, bottom team or even bottom 2 go down automatically.

No need for a final after a 10 game home and away league either imo. Whoever is top would be deserving champions. I guess from a sponsors point of view they might need a final so if so let the top 2 go into the final. Actually top 2 into the final and bottom 2 getting relegated would keep things nice and competitive too now that I think of it

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

The league is a joke, end of... home and away games would make it more interesting with more teams.

Delighted for Clare, well done to them, 31 points and 24 wides. Is scary though we will have to train hard and be at our best. When we meet.

Funny though last time Clare beat us in the opening round of the championship we ended up in the AI final :-)

Hslaw wrote: »
    The league is a joke, end of... home and away games would make it more interesting with more teams.

Delighted for Clare, well done to them, 31 points and 24 wides. Is scary though we will have to train hard and be at our best. When we meet.

Funny though last time Clare beat us in the opening round of the championship we ended up in the AI final :-)

Yeah but I'd rather forget that all-ireland final. The next month and a half will be interesting. Big win for Clare today.

• Advertisement

18 wides for them against KK too, and only lost by a point.

Considering our issues with getting high scores it is indeed a scary thought

Yeah but I'd rather forget that all-ireland final. The next month and a half will be interesting. Big win for Clare today.

while i want to forget that final too.

its still an achievement in its own right getting to an AI final.
    and to get use to the big occasion like the AI final. we need to try and get to as many as possible. so the team can cope on the big day, and it wouldn't of mattered what team kk played that day they still would of slaughtered them.

while i want to forget that final too.

its still an achievement in its own right getting to an AI final.
    and to get use to the big occasion like the AI final. we need to try and get to as many as possible. so the team can cope on the big day, and it wouldn't of mattered what team kk played that day they still would of slaughtered them.

True and winning a semi final was great. But to do it against an unbeaten team that year was great. And well, to do it against Tipp like...it was a really great day. Lets remember that :)

18 wides for them against KK too, and only lost by a point.

Considering our issues with getting high scores it is indeed a scary thought

while we had a fairly good league campaign..

we didn't register big scores on the score board. and the lack of goals.
    that's my one big worry going into the championship. something we need to work on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

boodiebhoy wrote: »
    Great win for Dungarvan CBS today, 3 All Ireland's in three weeks.

Yea Congrats to the CBS lads, another cricket-score win but lets not kid ourselves they were MILES too good for this competition and should really have been made to enter the Harty Cup as a stand alone team. I know they are entering it next year but the vast majority of this team will be gone.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Yea Congrats to the CBS lads, another cricket-score win but lets not kid ourselves they were MILES too good for this competition and should really have been made to enter the Harty Cup as a stand alone team. I know they are entering it next year but the vast majority of this team will be gone.

what was the final score

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

The school only has only 250 pupils, consider that DLS has over 1000. People dont realise how small a school the CBS is

shoddy14 wrote: »
    The school only has only 250 pupils, consider that DLS has over 1000. People dont realise how small a school the CBS is

its a fairly small school, primary and secondary..

well done to them. great for the town and county.

lets hope our minors,U21's and senior can get some kind of silverware this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

what was the final score

3-18 to 0-05. I think

• Advertisement

robopaddy wrote: »
    3-18 to 0-05. I think

jesus. who were they playing, and how did a team that only managed to score 5 points get to a final ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement