Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Disappointing really. We played all the hurling in the first half and still almost went in 4 points down, only for the goal right on the interval. Gave away some soft scores when leading 0-9 to 0-5, when the chance was there to kick on. Second half was real tit for tat stuff until a we conceeded a frankly stupid goal. From then on it was a scramble for Waterford and Tipp just had to tag on the odd point to keep themselves ticking over.

What a player Patrick Curran is though, gave an absolute masterclass in the first 20 mins or so. Once critisim I'd have though is he needs to be more aware of others around him and play the pass from time to time. A bunch of Tipp younglads behind me couldnt stop raving about him from before the game and all throughout.

Lets hope they can get it together and put a full performance together against Clare next week, would be an awful shame for this bunch of young lads to be finished for the season before the end of April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Is the Dungarvan CBS Final on this weekend?

That will be 4 huge games in 10 days for the lads involved in waterford, colleges and cbs panels. dosent make much sense really in a way its no harm to see the combined team breaking up its a rididulous amount of games for these younglads

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭deisefolife

robopaddy wrote: »

That will be 4 huge games in 10 days for the lads involved in waterford, colleges and cbs panels. dosent make much sense really in a way its no harm to see the combined team breaking up its a rididulous amount of games for these younglads[/QUOTE

i think that game was on today not 100% sure on that, but the cbs did play a game today and lost by 4 points :-(

That will be 4 huge games in 10 days for the lads involved in waterford, colleges and cbs panels. dosent make much sense really in a way its no harm to see the combined team breaking up its a rididulous amount of games for these younglads[/QUOTE

i think that game was on today not 100% sure on that, but the cbs did play a game today and lost by 4 points :-(

no definetly wasn't it sure there were 3 or 4 CBS lads on the minor team tonight almost certain tis on the weekend their playing a school from Antrim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

tipp full forward got 2-9, how much of that was from play? i know he got a goal from pen and a few frees. was the full back cleaned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

tipp full forward got 2-9, how much of that was from play? i know he got a goal from pen and a few frees. was the full back cleaned?

He got 1-2 from play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

He got 1-2 from play
    Id never criticise players at this age, but personally i think michael cronin should have been somewhere in the full back line or some of the other Dungarvan colleges full back line playing, they were very solid all year

Id never criticise players at this age, but personally i think michael cronin should have been somewhere in the full back line or some of the other Dungarvan colleges full back line playing, they were very solid all year

Keane is a fair operator in fairness when on form, he got player of the tournament in the Tony Forristal a few years back and is a big fella.

Id say there will be changes the next day. Not criticison any lad but i felt before the game that dome of the lads on the bench should be in the team and tonite hasnt changed that. Surely stephen bennett will be fit enough to start the next night aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Keane is a fair operator in fairness when on form, he got player of the tournament in the Tony Forristal a few years back and is a big fella.

Yeah i suppose you make a point, some players on there day are hard to stop! so who does everybody think the stand outs were today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brian looby is as good as any full back i've seen at minor level, played very well u21 last year also for abbeyside, very disappointed him, michael cronin and kealan looby haven't even made the bench! Cristy breathnach and Conor gleeson should be in from the start in my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

how did austin gleeson hurl?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Hard luck to the lads, it was always going to be very tough against a Tipp team regarded by a lot to win this years AI. From reading reports here, it seems we were in it all the way through but that second Tipp goal knocked the stuffing out of us.
    Still though, another home game v Clare up next week so no time to think about this loss. There are some decent players on that team and it would be an awful pity if their summer was over before the summer even started if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

How did Stephen Bennett do when he cameon? listening to the updates on WLR last night, the commentator said that he looked obviously hampered by injury when coming on... shame to see a young guy like that going under the knife for an injury, I dont know much about the seriousness of that particular injury but I hope it doesnt affect him too much in the coming years.
    Hopefully he is back for the Clare game anyway...

It is great that we are coming more consistently competitive at minor year on year

how good is there clare minor team. compared to the minors of the past few years ??

they got 2-15 ( i think ) against cork last night..

cork minors seem to be going okay

Cork 3-15
    Clare 2-14

In a gripping Munster MHC quarter-final at Pairc Ui Rinn, Cork fought off a Clare comeback thanks to the scoring heroics of Pa O'Callaghan.

It was the home side who made a dream start with 2-2 on the board in the first seven minutes. Trevor Horgan and Kevin O'Neill pointed before Pa O'Callaghan blasted home a penalty. The Banner were then rocked as Anthony Spillane fired home a second major almost straight away.

Clare were in trouble and needed to get a footing in the match and just at the crucial time Bobby Duggan goaled. Touhy and Galvin points followed and when Downey and Duggan also scored, the Banner had hit 1-4 without reply to trail by just a point.

Pa O'Callaghan gave Cork some breathing space with a point but Clare then won a penalty which Duggan converted, and all of a sudden an eight point deficit was now a one point lead.

The visitors were totally dominant at this point and further scores from Duggan and Begley saw them push the advantage out to three. Mark O'Connor and Galvin swapped scores to leave the half time score 2-8 to 2-5 in favour of the Banner, who had outscored Cork by 2-8 to 0-3 for the final 25 minutes of the half in front of 1,692 paying spectators.

Cork started the second half just as in the first with O'Callaghan pointing and then following up with a goal to give his side the advantage, 3-6 to 2-8. Clare responded with two points but Peter Kelleher hit two great scores for the Rebels as the lead changed hands once more.

Duggan leveled the game before the sides swapped points before the crucial moment of the game arrived as Clare were awarded a penalty but missed, with just over ten minutes left on the clock.

The prolific O'Callaghan again put the home side one up, 3-11 to 2-13. We waited for another Clare equaliser but instead Cork went for the kill with two quick points to lead by a goal with four minutes remaining.

The Banner threw everything at the Rebels but Spillane had the final say with a point as Cork marched on.

i just took that off the hoganstand.

both teams are going really well

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

I think at a time when waterford underage hurling is very much on a par or even better in most cases than most of our major rivals , we than have to take the next step and organise ourselves off the field, in terms of getting the most out of what we have, picking the correct panel of players , and then knowing enough about them , to at the very least put the players in their correct positions and putting the best players on the field.
    I would have absolutly no bother in playing that tipp team again and i would be very confident in beating them if the above happened, for example in the first half last night we were being bet up on a stick in the middle of the field , because we had two guys out in the middle of the field that should not have been there, one because he is a wing back, and a very good wing back, and we then had in the stand, a better midfielder than what was there, which was proved when cormac curran came onto the field with about 15/12 min to go and won four possesions in a row on that side of the field.We did not have the best minor goalkeeper in the county in goal [maybe their is a reason for this], in terms of shotstopping and puckout,[goalkeeper looked shaky and had poor puck out], seemed to have no communication with his full back, second goal a case a prime example, He might be a good keeper but i was sitting in front of a clonea man, and he was telling all in sundry he couln't ever remember him playing in goal, I also agree with an above post re dungarvan schools full back line, How looby did not make it full back i do not know, i thought two corner backs did ok, some silly fouls but tipp were playing the corners wonderfully based on their dominence at midfield. Half back line for Waterford, Harney great bit of stuff, could play anywhere and will do well, but why put him wing back when we were crying out for his ballwinning ability on the 40 or in midfield?.Gleeson has the ability to be a Waterford great, But has he the temperment?, last night for a period he looked majestic[Tipp centre forward was no slouch either, got one great point from puckout], Then espically in the second half he dropped his performence level,Fair enough he got a nasty blow prior to half time, and whilst he did some nice things again, he gave away soft frees, tried silly things that a greater level of maturity would not allow, and became an individual in a team game, Maybe this is as a result of the blow, or frustration from the performence around him, and anytime i have seen him , i have always been impressed, so maybe it is a thing of nothing, Daly is too slow for wing back end of, he is a centre back only, looked really sluggish, nice hurler and has good agression, but too slow.Midfield we were bet there all night untill curren came on , tom devine looked oddly out of sorts, and well out of position, Can someone who Knows better , Tell me where young o brien of ferrybank usually playes?, he is not a midfielder ,Looks a tidy hurler lacks a bit of agression, but i would not say he is not good enough yet, just at this stage curren is better.Half forwards Adam farrell i Just don't get it, have seen him alot now, and he tends to drift in and out of games too much, he does not dominate the air, his touch is good, not great, and he lacks physicality, where is his natural position?, I think he would be better facing the ball, as he has good pace and seems brave enough, roche centre forward ?????, I still have no opinion, he can hurl he can win ball in the air, he is no slouch, he is brave, but he did not do enough.I think youngest of the bennets is good, thought he espically came into the game in the second half, when he dropped deeper, got a great point, and has a great workrate, full forward line did not get enough ball or enough qualtiy ball, yet always looked dangerous, P curran quality, class won dirty ball, won ball fizzed in front of him, could have got at least two goals, not to compare him with anyone, but he is very flynn like at this age, but his workrate is better, sometimes needs to make his decisions a little sooner but that will come, young foran i thought he did well with no ball,and what a goal from kearney who looked dangerous but was starved.
    Subs Gleeson got one great score but was not really in it, C curran brought a bite and a ballwinning to midfield we lacked all night, and S Bennet looked really unfit, and will not be fit anytime soon.
    I stick by if we played our best team in their best positions then we have a very good, Possibly great minor side, However i lack confidence in the Manager and selectors based on last night to do that, they could not even as the game was going on make decisions to affect the game take young kearney from the corner after 15 of first half drop him at midfield and leave room inside for other two, he also would have helped out with the abundance of breaking ball tipp were winning out there at their ease[They took o brien of ferry bank off], I just thought he was over run, also how many times did we see espically for the waterford puck out, the tipp half forward line out in the middle of the field, full forward for tipp splitting our centre back and full back but sticking there puck out short and high tipp winning it and driving forward with no one having a clue who was picking up who, we looked clueless.We Have a very good side here and wed night is huge for underage hurling in waterford alot of senior hurlers will come from this side , Harney, Devine Cormac curran Stephen Bennet,Shane Bennet Austin Gleeson???, Patrick curran , Would be shame to see it done so early, get organised Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

O' Brien of Ferrybank typically plays wing-forward on the Intermediate club team.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

I think Brian Looby dropped himself off the panel for the Leaving Cert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 hurler47

I think at a time when waterford underage hurling is very much on a par or even better in most cases than most of our major rivals , we than have to take the next step and organise ourselves off the field, in terms of getting the most out of what we have, picking the correct panel of players , and then knowing enough about them , to at the very least put the players in their correct positions and putting the best players on the field.
    I would have absolutly no bother in playing that tipp team again and i would be very confident in beating them if the above happened, for example in the first half last night we were being bet up on a stick in the middle of the field , because we had two guys out in the middle of the field that should not have been there, one because he is a wing back, and a very good wing back, and we then had in the stand, a better midfielder than what was there, which was proved when cormac curran came onto the field with about 15/12 min to go and won four possesions in a row on that side of the field.We did not have the best minor goalkeeper in the county in goal [maybe their is a reason for this], in terms of shotstopping and puckout,[goalkeeper looked shaky and had poor puck out], seemed to have no communication with his full back, second goal a case a prime example, He might be a good keeper but i was sitting in front of a clonea man, and he was telling all in sundry he couln't ever remember him playing in goal, I also agree with an above post re dungarvan schools full back line, How looby did not make it full back i do not know, i thought two corner backs did ok, some silly fouls but tipp were playing the corners wonderfully based on their dominence at midfield. Half back line for Waterford, Harney great bit of stuff, could play anywhere and will do well, but why put him wing back when we were crying out for his ballwinning ability on the 40 or in midfield?.Gleeson has the ability to be a Waterford great, But has he the temperment?, last night for a period he looked majestic[Tipp centre forward was no slouch either, got one great point from puckout], Then espically in the second half he dropped his performence level,Fair enough he got a nasty blow prior to half time, and whilst he did some nice things again, he gave away soft frees, tried silly things that a greater level of maturity would not allow, and became an individual in a team game, Maybe this is as a result of the blow, or frustration from the performence around him, and anytime i have seen him , i have always been impressed, so maybe it is a thing of nothing, Daly is too slow for wing back end of, he is a centre back only, looked really sluggish, nice hurler and has good agression, but too slow.Midfield we were bet there all night untill curren came on , tom devine looked oddly out of sorts, and well out of position, Can someone who Knows better , Tell me where young o brien of ferrybank usually playes?, he is not a midfielder ,Looks a tidy hurler lacks a bit of agression, but i would not say he is not good enough yet, just at this stage curren is better.Half forwards Adam farrell i Just don't get it, have seen him alot now, and he tends to drift in and out of games too much, he does not dominate the air, his touch is good, not great, and he lacks physicality, where is his natural position?, I think he would be better facing the ball, as he has good pace and seems brave enough, roche centre forward ?????, I still have no opinion, he can hurl he can win ball in the air, he is no slouch, he is brave, but he did not do enough.I think youngest of the bennets is good, thought he espically came into the game in the second half, when he dropped deeper, got a great point, and has a great workrate, full forward line did not get enough ball or enough qualtiy ball, yet always looked dangerous, P curran quality, class won dirty ball, won ball fizzed in front of him, could have got at least two goals, not to compare him with anyone, but he is very flynn like at this age, but his workrate is better, sometimes needs to make his decisions a little sooner but that will come, young foran i thought he did well with no ball,and what a goal from kearney who looked dangerous but was starved.
    Subs Gleeson got one great score but was not really in it, C curran brought a bite and a ballwinning to midfield we lacked all night, and S Bennet looked really unfit, and will not be fit anytime soon.
    I stick by if we played our best team in their best positions then we have a very good, Possibly great minor side, However i lack confidence in the Manager and selectors based on last night to do that, they could not even as the game was going on make decisions to affect the game take young kearney from the corner after 15 of first half drop him at midfield and leave room inside for other two, he also would have helped out with the abundance of breaking ball tipp were winning out there at their ease[They took o brien of ferry bank off], I just thought he was over run, also how many times did we see espically for the waterford puck out, the tipp half forward line out in the middle of the field, full forward for tipp splitting our centre back and full back but sticking there puck out short and high tipp winning it and driving forward with no one having a clue who was picking up who, we looked clueless.We Have a very good side here and wed night is huge for underage hurling in waterford alot of senior hurlers will come from this side , Harney, Devine Cormac curran Stephen Bennet,Shane Bennet Austin Gleeson???, Patrick curran , Would be shame to see it done so early, get organised Waterford.
    Agree with this as until we put our best team out on the field of play we are going nowhere and as for the poor goalkeeper this young man plays out the field for his club and Dungarvan have a great goalkeeper in Rian and he is not on the panel. This manager when he had the Tony Forrestial team did the same thing in turning an out feild player namely a forward for his club into a goalkeeper now this player is in the backs when he is a natural forward as watching him from a young age he is bad tempered and can give away frees.

Anyone else notice a bit of mind games from the Tipp management prior to the game where their manager he said in the media that waterford were 'the outstanding minor team in this years AI Championship'

Though it was very shrewd in taking the pressure off his own lads a bit. It might fall on deaf ears at senior level but at minor level comments like that might just get inside young lads heads a bit.

BTW Not taking away from it Tipp were the better team on the day

I'm not criticising any of the players last night as I wasn't at the game but I couldn't agree with you more, I can't understand how an all ireland winning team could only feature 4 players on the county team. The full back line from dungarvan colleges have been pinpointed as the weaklink by most teams all year, but every game they were brilliant. If looby took himself off the panel that's fair enough but otherwise that number 3 position has to be his. Their goalie, lawrence power made 1 mistake in the final but other than that, I couldn't fault any of his performances. Devine is a half back and a brilliant one at that. cormac curran has surely staked a claim to be starting the game next week after his introduction from the bench yesterday. Every year there's always mistakes by the selectors in terms of picking the right team so hopefully they get it right for the game next week.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    I'm not criticising any of the players last night as I wasn't at the game but I couldn't agree with you more, I can't understand how an all ireland winning team could only feature 4 players on the county team.

Nenagh CBS won the AI last year and only had two on the Tipp minor team, Templemore CBS got to the Harty final this year and had only two playing last night, you are not comparing like with like, plus the fact that a number of the Dungarvan team are overage.

Nenagh CBS won the AI last year and only had two on the Tipp minor team, Templemore CBS got to the Harty final this year and had only two playing last night, you are not comparing like with like, plus the fact that a number of the Dungarvan team are overage.

Agree entirely. County level at the end of the day is a step up from Colleges level and a big one at that. Just because a lad plays for one of the big colleges teams dosent make him individually better than a player in a similar position that dosen't. The selectors have had long enough to work with and see all these players up close

The players I named are on the age. Well I was at the dungarvan colleges game v thurles cbs who had a number of players from their all ireland team last year, if they can hold their own against them why couldn't they do it at county level? I know it's a big step up from school's hurling but aren't they still competing against the majority of players they would face in the harty cup?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    The players I named are on the age. Well I was at the dungarvan colleges game v thurles cbs who had a number of players from their all ireland team last year, if they can hold their own against them why couldn't they do it at county level? I know it's a big step up from school's hurling but aren't they still competing against the majority of players they would face in the harty cup?

Thurles were beaten in the Harty Semi last year and didnt fair any better this year, it is a huge step up tbf, Im more familiar with Tipp obv so lets just take our situation as an example, we had Templemore, Nenagh and Thurles all competing in the Harty Cup, while Roscrea and Borrisokane contested the Vocational schools munster final, thats just them 5 that are all hurling at a very high level and merit representation we also had players playing with Doon CBS , not to mention the lads that simply dont attend a big or succesfull school - like Josh Keane who scored 2-09 last night.

The effect of schools hurling on intercounty is extremely minimal, obviously success at all levels is to be welcomed and gives a greater chance of success further up the line but the two are not as closely linked as many imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Anyone else notice a bit of mind games from the Tipp management prior to the game where their manager he said in the media that waterford were 'the outstanding minor team in this years AI Championship'

Though it was very shrewd in taking the pressure off his own lads a bit. It might fall on deaf ears at senior level but at minor level comments like that might just get inside young lads heads a bit.

BTW Not taking away from it Tipp were the better team on the day

My exact same thoughts there, but Tipp were the much better team in the second half of the game. Still Steven Bennets free that hit the crossbar had it been two inches lower would have given a grandstand finish but it wasn't to be. Hope they play better against Clare, home advantage has to be a bonus after playing a game in Walsh Park already.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭carter10

Thurles were beaten in the Harty Semi last year and didnt fair any better this year, it is a huge step up tbf, Im more familiar with Tipp obv so lets just take our situation as an example, we had Templemore, Nenagh and Thurles all competing in the Harty Cup, while Roscrea and Borrisokane contested the Vocational schools munster final, thats just them 5 that are all hurling at a very high level and merit representation we also had players playing with Doon CBS , not to mention the lads that simply dont attend a big or succesfull school - like Josh Keane who scored 2-09 last night.

The effect of schools hurling on intercounty is extremely minimal, obviously success at all levels is to be welcomed and gives a greater chance of success further up the line but the two are not as closely linked as many imagine.
    Would have to agree, Flannans of Ennis have 14 Croke Cups which didnt lead to much success for Clare ( although I guess there could have been LK/Tipp and Galway lads on those teams) on the other hand Galway have won just 1 Croke cup but have had good success at minor.
    I think its the number of players a county has playing at a higher level thats important. As you pointed out above thats 5 schools playing Harty also you had Clonmel CBS playing Harty as well. Tipp also has a lot more clubs to pick from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Football championship games starting this weekend. Ballinacourty v Rinn, Ardmore v Clashmore, Stradbally v Gaultier, Rathgormack v Ballinameela, The Nire v Brickeys, Killrossanty v St Saviours.

I would imagine that the Nire, Stradbally and Killrossanty should win their respective games. Rinn v Ballinacourty will be interesting however as Ballinacourty were slow starters and Rinn are sure to be competitive. Ardmore v Clashmore is also a game that could go either way, bound to be close. I'd call it at Ballinacourty and Ardmore to win those two games.

There's potential for an upset in Ballinameela v Rathgormack, but I reckon that Rathgomack will be sufficiently buoyed by their U21 A victory to win out that game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement