Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Cake Man wrote: »
    Should make for a good game on Thursday evening, would absolutely love to be at it.

The CBS lads will surely be in great confidence but I'm just hoping that the physical exertion of Saturday's great win (well done to all involved btw, am delighted for them and think they well deserve it) won't have taken too much out of them as you'd expect at least 5 or 6 from that team to start on Thurs. I'd be thinking along the lines of Patrick Curran, Bourke, Devine, Harney, Kevin Daly, Ryan Donnelly etc. On a side note, have all these players come through with a clean bill of health? Reading through the posts from the match on Sat, some mentioned Curran got a nasty belt to the hand, is he fine for Thurs?
    Are the 3 Bennetts underage and Seanie Barry underage again? The latter should be no. 1. All in all, it looks a strong team.
    It'll be tough as Tipp are always strong at this grade. The loser out 6 days later makes it a must win game, you'd feel but if we win we'll be into a semi up in Limerick so either way it's not easy!
    Have confidence in the lads though, I know last year they just never got going v Tipp up above in Thurles and I don't think that was a true reflection of thier potential so please God they'll come good on Thursday.
    Tadgh Bourke is overage anyway, pretty sure donnelly and harney are too! But there should be a strong contingent from the west on the team considering it was dungarvan and lismore who contested last years minor final and they've won back to back harty cups in dungarvan colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Tadgh Bourke is overage anyway, pretty sure donnelly and harney are too! But there should be a strong contingent from the west on the team considering it was dungarvan and lismore who contested last years minor final and they've won back to back harty cups in dungarvan colleges.

Yea a few of that colleges side are actually overage for minor I think Colin Dunford aswell Id say there'll about 4 maybe 5 max starting for the minors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Is Micheal Harney definitely overage? I know he was there in 2011 as a minor too but thought he was still u16.

Kevin Daly is the Waterford Minor Captain this year so there's one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Is Micheal Harney definitely overage? I know he was there in 2011 as a minor too but thought he was still u16.

Kevin Daly is the Waterford Minor Captain this year so there's one anyway.
    Harney's able to play thursday just found out there, his 3rd year on the panel we've another jake dillon here! the full back line from the dungarvan colleges are eligible, tom devine, kevin daly, cormac curran, patrick curran..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,795 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

how many Clubs are there in Waterford ??.

Need to know for a project thanks

• Advertisement

Looking forward to seeing the team in Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran weve 2 lads who know where the posts are anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

robopaddy wrote: »
    Looking forward to seeing the team in Stephen Bennett and Patrick Curran weve 2 lads who know where the posts are anyway

Stephen had a hip operation similar to M. Shanahan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    how many Clubs are there in Waterford ??.

Need to know for a project thanks

54 I think, you'll find it in the GAAs annual report.

Minor team for Thursday:

1. Sean Clancy Clonea
    2. William Hahessey Clonea
    3. Sam O’Neill Erin’s Own
    4. Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper
    5. Kevin Daly Dungarvan CAPTAIN
    6. Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    7. Michéal Harney Bonmahon
    8. Mark O’Brien Ferrybank
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    10. Shane Bennett Ballysaggart
    11. Colm Roche Shamrocks
    12. Adam Farrell De La Salle
    13. Patrick Curran Dungarvan
    14. DJ Foran Portlaw
    15. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper

Would have thought Cian Leamy and Harney were more used to being forwards. Fine team though, forgot Mikey Kearney was available fine hurler. Pity Stephen Bennett is injured.

deisedub wrote: »
    Stephen had a hip operation similar to M. Shanahan

what a pity, brilliant young hurler. how long he expected to be out for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Minor team for Thursday:

1. Sean Clancy Clonea
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    11. Colm Roche Shamrocks
    14. DJ Foran Portlaw

Would have thought Cian Leamy and Harney were more used to being forwards. Fine team though, forgot Mikey Kearney was available fine hurler. Pity Stephen Bennett is injured.

Mad to see only two city hurlers in the fifteen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Minor team for Thursday:

1. Sean Clancy Clonea
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    11. Colm Roche Shamrocks
    14. DJ Foran Portlaw

Especially at underage level, and with the management very much so based in the East. I think maybe it's a sign that the reputation of city bias existing is becoming less and less true.

There's actually 4 City hurlers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Especially at underage level, and with the management very much so based in the East. I think maybe it's a sign that the reputation of city bias existing is becoming less and less true.
    Or maybe the reputation of city talent.

what a pity, brilliant young hurler. how long he expected to be out for?

Named on the bench so must be on the mend

deisedub wrote: »
    Named on the bench so must be on the mend

Do you have the matchday squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

what are the list of subs?

stephen bennett is the best young hurler ive seen in waterford in a long time and i dont say that lightly, its a bad and worrying sign hes getting serious injuries like that so young, the lad shouldnt be burned out and should be treated with care, he has it all from what i can see and he is going to be a future star if hes managed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

13 clubs represented in the starting team, that must be a new record for waterford. Sure sign of a healty underage club system which contrasts prior to about 6 years ago when Ballygunner, Mount Sion, De la Salle and Lismore made up most of the team and we usually made a quick exit in the first round. Also Erins Own and Ferrybank are city clubs so that's 4 lads from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Surely Ozzie Gleeson is a more natural forward, he started CF last year v Tipp.

alllcounty wrote: »
    13 clubs represented in the starting team, that must be a new record for waterford. Sure sign of a healty underage club system which contrasts prior to about 6 years ago when Ballygunner, Mount Sion, De la Salle and Lismore made up most of the team and we usually made a quick exit in the first round. Also Erins Own and Ferrybank are city clubs so that's 4 lads from the city.

There was 13 in last year if you count Lismore and Ballysaggart as seperate clubs. And there was 12 clubs represented in the first round v vs Tipp in 2011. Alot considering theres so few clubs at underage, max 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

There was 13 in last year if you count Lismore and Ballysaggart as seperate clubs. And there was 12 clubs represented in the first round v vs Tipp in 2011. Alot considering theres so few clubs at underage, max 30.

That's good going, the tide has turned the last number of years so. Austin played centre back on the DLS harty team this year so that may be a more natural position for him at this level.

• Advertisement

A big call whether bennett will be risked at any stage especially considering if we lose we face the prospect of a do or die game 6 days later.
    Surprised aswel that only 4 of the dungarvan colleges team is starting. A healthy sign of the times...

Taken from Munster GAA website;
    Electric Ireland Munster MHC Q-Final – Waterford v Tipperary

Waterford will play Tipperary in the Quarter Final of the Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship on Thursday April 11th at 7:00pm in Walsh Park Waterford.Fixture DetailsTHURSDAY APRIL 11THElectric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship Quarter-FinalWaterford v TipperaryVenue: Walsh Park Waterford @ 7:00pmReferee – Jer O’Connell (Cork)Standby Referee – John Sexton (Cork)Linesman – Joe Larkin (Cork)Sideline Official – Maurice Mulcahy (Cork)Extra time – (2 periods x 10 minutes only) to be played if sides finish level at the end of 60 minutesNext Round – the winners will qualify for the Munster semi-final on June 26th where they will play Limerick.  The losers will play the losers of Cork v Clare on Wednesday April 17th.Contact Munster GAA PRO Ed Donnelly at pro.munster@gaa.ie for more informationTeam NewsThe Waterford Minor Hurling team to play Tipperary is as follows -1. Sean Clancy Clonea2. William Hahessey Clonea3. Sam O’Neill Erin’s Own4. Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper5. Kevin Daly Dungarvan CAPTAIN6. Austin Gleeson Mount Sion7. Michéal Harney Bonmahon8. Mark O’Brien Ferrybank9. Tom Devine Modeligo10. Shane Bennett Ballysaggart11. Colm Roche Shamrocks12. Adam Farrell De La Salle13. Patrick Curran Dungarvan14. DJ Foran Portlaw15. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper  For the RecordWaterfordTipperary2013 Team ManagementSean Power(Mount Sion – Manager) Selectors -Kieran O’Gorman (Lismore), Wayne Power(Ballyduff Upper),John Treacy (Passage)William Maher(Ballingarry – Manager) Selectors – Brian Horgan (Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams), Martin Maher (Borris-Ileigh), Noel Morris (Loughmore-Castleiney)Damien Young(Drom & Inch – Trainer)2013 Team CaptainKevin Daly(Dungarvan)Tom Fox(Eire Og Annacarty)2012 Championship PerformanceDefeated Clare by 1-20 to 3-13 after extra time in the first round before losing to Tipperary in the semi-final.Defeated Kerry, Waterford and Clare to win the Munster Final. Further victories over Galway and Dublin (after a replay) secured an All-Ireland title.Number of Munster Minor Hurling titles437Last Munster Minor Hurling Title20092012Munster Minor Hurling Championship Record since 2000Played – 31Won – 11Lost – 17Drawn – 3Played – 39Won – 26Lost – 10Drawn – 3Last meeting in the Munster Minor Hurling ChampionshipJune 27th – 2012 Munster Semi-Final at Semple Stadium ThurlesTipperary 2-25 Waterford 0-12 – goals by Sean Ryan and Tadhg Gallagher helped Tipperary to a 19 point victoryMUNSTER GAA HURLING MINOR CHAMPIONSHIP 2013First RoundThursday April 11th@ Pairc Ui Rinn                               Cork v Clare                                                  @ 7:00pm@ Walsh Park Waterford                Waterford v Tipperary                                  @ 7:00pmSemi-Final Play-offWednesday April 17th(See venue permutations below)@ Cork venue                                  Cork v Waterford(met in 2010 Semi-Final Replay in Walsh Park Waterford)@ Cork venue                                  Cork v Tipperary(met in 2011 Playoff in Semple Stadium Thurles)@ Waterford venue                         Clare v Waterford(met in 2012 Quarter-Final in Cusack Park Ennis)@ Clare venue                                 Clare v Tipperary(met in 2011 Semi-Final in Semple Stadium Thurles)Semi-FinalsWednesday June 26thLimerick v Winners of Waterford v TipperaryWinners of Cork v Clare v Winners of Semi-Final Play-offFinalSunday July 14thMunster Minor Hurling Championship – Odds and EndsWaterford have lost just 3 of their last 12 matches in the Munster Minor Hurling Championship dating back to 2010. Each of the defeats came against the eventual Munster champions.Waterford have won their last 4 Munster Minor Hurling Championship matches played in Walsh Park in 2011 (Tipperary & Limerick) and 2010 (Clare & Cork).Tipperary are the defending Munster Minor Hurling Champions following a 1-16 to 1-12 victory over Clare at Pairc Ui Chaoimh in the 2012 Final.Since winning the 2008 Munster Minor Hurling title, Cork have won 3 of their last 11 matches in the Munster Minor Hurling Championship (twice v Kerry in 2011 and 2012 and once v Tipperary after extra time in the first round in 2010)Limerick have won 3 of their last 13 matches played in the Munster Minor Hurling Championship dating back to 2006. The victories came against Cork (2011 and 2012 first round) and v Kerry (2010 first round).Clare have won at least 1 match in the Munster Minor Hurling Championship over the last 7 years. Waterford have the next best consecutive streak with at least 1 victory in the last 5 years.Clare have won 9 of their last 11 matches in the Munster Minor Hurling Championship over the last 3 seasons, winning the 2010 and 2011 Munster titles at this grade.Munster Minor Hurling Championship Roll Of HonourTipperary (37) – 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1967, 1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1973, 1976, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2012Cork (32) – 1928, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1951, 1964, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1998 , 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008Limerick (5) – 1940, 1958, 1963, 1965, 1984Waterford (4) – 1929, 1948, 1992, 2009Clare (4) – 1981, 1989, 2010, 2011Munster Minor Hurling Championship – List of Winning TeamsVisit the Munster GAA web site History section to view the complete list of each winning team since the competition began in1928 – http://munster.gaa.ie/history/mh_teams/Munster Minor Hurling CupThere is no name on the Munster Minor Hurling Cup. The cup itself was presented by T.W.A. Shannon Airport in 1946.All Ireland Minor Hurling ChampionshipIn the Minor Hurling All Ireland Roll of Honour, Tipperary are sedond in the charts with 19 titles behind Kilkenny’s 20 titles. Cork have won 18 titles, Limerick have 3 titles (1940, 1958, 1984), Waterford have won 2 titles (1929, 1948) while Clare’s only title to date came in 1997.Of the last 13 All-Ireland Minor Hurling Finals played, the Irish Press Cup has only returned to Munster on 4 occasions – Cork (2001) and Tipperary (2006, 2007 and 2012). Of the other 9 titles since 1999, Galway have 5 and Kilkenny have captured 4.Tipperary were All-Ireland Minor Hurling Champions in 1930, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1976, 1980, 1982, 1996, 2006, 2007 and 2012Cork were All-Ireland Minor Hurling Champions in 1928, 1937, 1938, 1939, 1941, 1951, 1964, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1974, 1978, 1979, 1985, 1995, 1998, 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Well done to Dungarvan Colleges on their great win. It's a pity for live TV they didn't display the fluency of their Harty Cup final demolition of Templemore but I suppose finals are all about winning. Adding up all the wides, the missed penalty, the gifted goal to Kilkenny and the one they missed at the end, Dungarvan could easily have won this by 15 points.

When they missed that late goal chance I began to have fears of Kilkenny scoring two late goals and stealing the game, but really they offered little scoring threat. Placing Tadhg Bourke at centre back to mark their top player Kenny was a master stroke as he totally blotted him out, apart from the one chance he got when the Dungarvan goalie made the good save.

Incidentally, the clash between the two which saw Kenny go off looked much worse on TV than from where I was sitting. Bourke anticipated the short pass to Kenny and went for the ball, I thought. Kenny got there before him but I thought at the time that the clash was accidental and so did the referee.

The Dungarvan team was very strong all around but in Bourke, Tom Devine and Patrick Curran they have three great future prospects. It was funny observing Devine's youthfulness when he received the cup as on the field he oozes maturity and authority. Darragh Lyons is also a great bit of stuff. With his ability in the air, strength and pace Seamus Keating could also be a prospect but I expect we will lose him to rugby.

By the way, when Waterford lost to Tipperary to a last-minute goal in the 1997 Munster minor hurling championship, the Waterford starting team came from 15 clubs, and the one sub they brought on was from a different club again. Seamus Prendergast and James Murry played in that game. Here's hoping for a better result on Thursday.

Cake Man wrote: »
    Surely Ozzie Gleeson is a more natural forward, he started CF last year v Tipp.

considering we were absolutely massacred by about 20 points the same day I dont think change is such a bad thing to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Wasn't their three Bennett's playing last year or am I imagining things?

Orizio wrote: »
    Wasn't their three Bennett's playing last year or am I imagining things?

There was. Kieran Bennett was the youngest of them too I'm fairly sure.

There was. Kieran Bennett was the youngest of them too I'm fairly sure.

Kieran the eldest

Kieran the eldest

Ah right, thought somebody had said to me he was 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Ah right, thought somebody had said to me he was 16.

Kieran is the eldest, Stephen in the middle, Shane is the youngest,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So Steven and Shane will have played three years at Minor level?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement