Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    Cheerio.

Before you go - I reckon you'd pay for a set of jerseys with the money wasted. Or meals after training for a couple of weeks.

Floodlights should be used to clear fixture congestion, not for the sake of using them. In National League they would be a Saturday night money spinner also.

For the record I agree that Fitzgerald's costs are likely to be massive (I've never seen figures), but as it has happened already there is no point wasting any more energy on it. Its about controlling what can be controlled at this point.

To be fair, if the situation is as bad as it is, they need to be thinking of ways of raising more money rather than cutting things.

A prudent look at what funds really need to be spent on the inter-county hurling team (which lets be honest, is most definetly getting more money than it should or needs!) is what is needed. Like I've heard plenty of stories on expenses, on what were paid over Fitzgerald's reign. They were very inefficient i.e. Apparently sliotars were in great supply for anyone who happened to be at training and wanted to take some home, they didn't mind them at all.

Et Cetera wrote: »
    And what about the larger crowd at the Sat night football games?

Probably cancelled out by the depleted crowd that must have been there on Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Good point about the sliotars. I was on the terrace for the Munster final this year, and was amazed to see the kit men actually hand sliotars through the fence to supporters.

How much is a dozen sliotars - about €60?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

How much does waterford get from playing their home championship games in tipperary. Surely if the county board could generate more money by playing such games in nolan park which is half an hour up the road it would be worth at least using it as a bargaining tool with semple stadium who take all the money generated.
    Also when is the new manager been appointed, in my view both michael ryan and nickey cashin are both individually worthy of the managers role. It'd be a total unjustice if someone outside the county got it again especially with such a depleated income position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Lads - not sure how much of this is an accurate reflection of the County Board's financial affairs or media spin in advance of the hurling manager appointment, but things don't look great!

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=156399

Playing the football semi's under lights recently must have cost a few bob, and strikes me as a waste.

I would say the opposite. I dont know how much the County Board took in for the two games, but i would say that there was about 1,000 people at both games. This is not to say that there was a huge amount of money taken in, as you would have pensioners getting in for half price, you would have people with Club 500 passes getting in for nothing and you would also have various people involved with the boards, referees, umpires etc with their passes as well getting in. I would guess however that 6 or 7 thousand was taken up, which would be a massive increase on some of the games played this year in both football and hurling. The Counnty Board did make one mistake however, they should have played the two games together. It did not look good that there was 2 semi finals played and there was not a curtain raiser to both played. I dont think it would happen in many other counties.

Et Cetera wrote: »
    You're a fcuking idiot. How much would this have cost - 50 euro a match?

How about all of Davy's analysts and background team? Why the hell would they put up floodlights and _not_ use them!

If you were banned, it would only be for telling the truth. The amount of money spent while Davy was in the county was beyond the joke. Lots of it was foolish. What a pity that there is a ban on people attending county board meetings putting figures into the media with some while now.

• Advertisement

I played football for Waterford for over a decade, I know how little money was made available for us when I was playing. You would have been laughed at for asking for a meal after training, never had enough kit handed out etc. As a result, I know how that money could have been better spent.

I was involved with a county football team a few years back and the night before the game the team had not got a new set of jerseys for a game the following day. One county board officer at the time was almost eating fire when the team were brought together for a meal and one player had a glass of milk instead of the diluted orange that was put on the table. That was the amount of interest the county board at the time had in football. It has improved a lot in recent years however. These things would not have happened if it was a hurling team that was playing.

The after training meal that the team i was involved in was a cup of tea in one of the dressing rooms and a few ham sandwiches. The players to their credit did not make any noises about it and neither did those over the team. I was think about some of the lads that were involed at the time the other day. Some of them have gone on to play for the counties senior team and are still doing so. I would say about half of them are not playing as far as i know. There not playing senior with their clubs anyway.

alllcounty wrote: »
    How much does waterford get from playing their home championship games in tipperary. Surely if the county board could generate more money by playing such games in nolan park which is half an hour up the road it would be worth at least using it as a bargaining tool with semple stadium who take all the money generated.
    Also when is the new manager been appointed, in my view both michael ryan and nickey cashin are both individually worthy of the managers role. It'd be a total unjustice if someone outside the county got it again especially with such a depleated income position.

Timmy O'Keeffe last year explained how money could be made, but people were not interested. Since he has become county secretary he has put forward some good ideas, like hiring Nolan Park for home games in Munster but people were too close minded to see this or there was some sort of Parish Pump Politics going on when people got on their high horse and said we wont go there. If they thought about it properly they would have seen it was a good idea and still is, but the money mentioned by Timmy at the time could be brought in at such a game might be a little smaller now as people dont have the money to advertise etc in the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I was involved with a county football team a few years back and the night before the game the team had not got a new set of jerseys for a game the following day. One county board officer at the time was almost eating fire when the team were brought together for a meal and one player had a glass of milk instead of the diluted orange that was put on the table. That was the amount of interest the county board at the time had in football. It has improved a lot in recent years however. These things would not have happened if it was a hurling team that was playing.

The after training meal that the team i was involved in was a cup of tea in one of the dressing rooms and a few ham sandwiches. The players to their credit did not make any noises about it and neither did those over the team. I was think about some of the lads that were involed at the time the other day. Some of them have gone on to play for the counties senior team and are still doing so. I would say about half of them are not playing as far as i know. There not playing senior with their clubs anyway.

If someone from another county read that they'd laugh.

In relation to lost players - criminal for a county with limited playing resources to be losing so many. Unfortunately it simply the games - hurling and football, aren't packaged very well.

Not enough games. too many gaps between games, a poor senior league and no intermediate or junior leagues. This will become a larger problem as more and more lads will find themselves in Cork, Dublin and further afield in search of work. If you were playing soccer or rugby you'd have a game every Saturday or Sunday and a defined season in place. Waterford GAA doesn't compete with that at the moment.

If someone from another county read that they'd laugh.

In relation to lost players - criminal for a county with limited playing resources to be losing so many. Unfortunately it simply the games - hurling and football, aren't packaged very well.

Not enough games. too many gaps between games, a poor senior league and no intermediate or junior leagues. This will become a larger problem as more and more lads will find themselves in Cork, Dublin and further afield in search of work. If you were playing soccer or rugby you'd have a game every Saturday or Sunday and a defined season in place. Waterford GAA doesn't compete with that at the moment.

I can see this years Football League not played to a finish if Ballinacourty were to win the County Final, as they wont want to play while they are involved in Munster. This is a pity. Last years Phelan was down to a final and that was never played. There was two attempts made however, the first was called off for a funeral, the second because of the snow. I was not aware that the hurling league semi finals were not played this year and checked the website and it appears they were not. Again this is a shame. We have players in this county looking for games and they cant get them for what ever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I can see this years Football League not played to a finish if Ballinacourty were to win the County Final, as they wont want to play while they are involved in Munster. This is a pity. Last years Phelan was down to a final and that was never played. There was two attempts made however, the first was called off for a funeral, the second because of the snow. I was not aware that the hurling league semi finals were not played this year and checked the website and it appears they were not. Again this is a shame. We have players in this county looking for games and they cant get them for what ever reason.

Intercounty season needs to be chopped. For a start, every match goes to extra time and golden score if necessary. No more replays.

Also there is NO way that games should be called off because the hurlers don't want to play with their clubs 2/3 weeks before they concede 7 goals.

• Advertisement

Good point about the sliotars. I was on the terrace for the Munster final this year, and was amazed to see the kit men actually hand sliotars through the fence to supporters.

How much is a dozen sliotars - about €60?

I dunno...do they use O'Neills?

€12 each in the shops, I'd say at least €8 each in batch which would be €96.

You can get Cu Chulainn sliotars (which Cork use) for €72 per dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jayus we must be in some state tbh. Cant even find a manager for the senoir hurling team, our intercounty team playing in sub standard stadium, very low in funds and players retiring left right and centre.

Offaly,Antrim,Wexford,clare and the likes seem to be in confident moods about there hurling futures.

Just hope to god we dont go back to the dark ages. We have had brillent summers over the last 8-10 years and it will just be not the same with just 2 matches next summer.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jayus we must be in some state tbh. Cant even find a manager for the senoir hurling team, our intercounty team playing in sub standard stadium, very low in funds and players retiring left right and centre.

Offaly,Antrim,Wexford,clare and the likes seem to be in confident moods about there hurling futures.

Just hope to god we dont go back to the dark ages. We have had brillent summers over the last 8-10 years and it will just be not the same with just 2 matches next summer.

KevIrl wasn't lieing when he said you're our resident pessimist ;)

Honestly some of your concerns are a bit unneccesary. Yeah we do play in sub standard stadiums, but that hasn't really be an issue up to now. In terms of training facilities, carriganore is as good as anywhere (I'm presuming the Senior teams use it....well certainly the hurling team, maybe the footballers aren't allowed!)

What players are retiring left right and centre? Murph sustained a life threatening injury last year, and it was clear he was on his way really after that. I'm admirer of Clinton, but we have more than adequate cover.

Also, can't find a manager, don't see that as being true either!

And I dunno where the notion of Wexford, Antrim and Offaly being confident about there hurling futures has come from. Two are still managerless...and to be fair Antrim are not, and will not be a threat to Waterford for a long time.

As for Clare...they just appointed Davy sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

OOH Here we go, close that poll

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Michael Ryan is Waterfords new senior hurling manager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Michael Ryan is Waterfords new senior hurling manager

Good on him. I don't know a whole lot about him myself apart from his sucess with the ladies ;) (football I mean!!! :D)

I wish him the very best of luck... any word on who the rest of the management team will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

Pat Flanagan will be the trainer and it would appear that Nicky Cashin and Br Philip Ryan will be selectors.

It will be interesting now will there be an outcry from the city as there is no one from the city on the selection panel. If they were all from the city, the westerners would be up in arms.

Although I stated my reluctance earlier in the week, I wish Ryan the very best of luck because with the state of our finances, he is going to need it. In fairness to Ryan, he has surrounded himself with very good men.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    Pat Flanagan will be the trainer and it would appear that Nicky Cashin and Br Philip Ryan will be selectors.

It will be interesting now will there be an outcry from the city as there is no one from the city on the selection panel. If they were all from the city, the westerners would be up in arms.

Although I stated my reluctance earlier in the week, I wish Ryan the very best of luck because with the state of our finances, he is going to need it. In fairness to Ryan, he has surrounded himself with very good men.
    Pat Flanagan I'm certain is from the city

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Pat Flanagan I'm certain is from the city

Pat Flanagan is from the city,he is a Mount sion man and last few years has been living in kerry,where he has trained the kerry footballer's. Supposedly hugely respected up there so hopefully were onto a winner here. I wish all the backroom team the very best of luck and i'm just glad a Waterford man has got the job.. Up The Deise roll on the Spring

http://www.sporttracker.ie/cms/coaching_seminar/Patflan.php

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Its amazing there's not a mention of Michael's appointment in any of the papers. I hope it works out well for us all. We have had great underage success these past few years lets hope we can build from that and not let it fall away. Best of luck to Michael and his backroom team its nice to see one of our own step to the plate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

I wish Michael the very best of luck, here's hoping he can guide us to the promised land. The backroom team he has assembled looks very strong. I think our hands may have been slightly tied financially thus it was always going to be a Waterford man this time around and he looks to be the best man for the job.

What are the national media going to make of him at all? I have a feeling Rosenstock will knock some craic out of the mans accent and mannerisms.
    He's a bit of an unknown package outside the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Its amazing there's not a mention of Michael's appointment in any of the papers. I hope it works out well for us all. We have had great underage success these past few years lets hope we can build from that and not let it fall away. Best of luck to Michael and his backroom team its nice to see one of our own step to the plate.

What time did the news break? papers already printed. It'll be in tomorrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Trenchman

Fintan O'Toole did a piece on it in todays Examiner. The story broke late so credit to him for getting the news in.

To be fair, I think most people around the country will say 'Who?'. He doesn't have a national profile and it is not major news as he was strongly linked with the job since Davy formally handed in his notice.

That's not to say that he will not be effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Nice to finally have a decision behind us (ratification presumed). As mentioned, seems like quite a strong team, although I do not know much of Br. Philip, as I would Nicky Cashin & Pat Flanagan, so I guess am curious on that score.

Nice to see a Waterford man get a crack at the job, and look forward to getting behind and supporting the new team, although as always honeymoons are short when the championship comes aknocking. That said, I do hope they are given the support they need from the county board, in the form of a three year term (with perhaps a review after two), to allow the new team the time needed, rather than anything shorter and an associated overemphasis on immediate results to the exclusion of all others.

Lastly, given the talent coming through, would hope there is some sort of connection with the senior mgt. team, and that of the minors and U21's.

In any case, a hearty congratulations to Micheal and his team of Nicky, Philip and Pat for throwing their commitment behind the blue and white cause.

Trenchman wrote: »
    I wish Michael the very best of luck, here's hoping he can guide us to the promised land. The backroom team he has assembled looks very strong. I think our hands may have been slightly tied financially thus it was always going to be a Waterford man this time around and he looks to be the best man for the job.

What are the national media going to make of him at all? I have a feeling Rosenstock will knock some craic out of the mans accent and mannerisms.
    He's a bit of an unknown package outside the county.

I've a feeling he won't.

I got a text at 11.00 last night and was told RTE were carrying it so would that have been too late for the papers? What time do they go to print?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wish Michael Ryan all the best. Hope there no sort of player revolt over his term and hope he brings in new players.

John Mullane for 2012 captain

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wish Michael Ryan all the best. Hope there no sort of player revolt over his term and hope he brings in new players.

John Mullane for 2012 captain

Is the captain still drawn from the county champions, or has that tradition passed?

Think Mullane would make a great captain, by the way.

Is the captain still drawn from the county champions, or has that tradition passed?

The Captain was managers choice last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Wasn't Molumphy appointed captain this year even though De la Salle were county champions?

• Advertisement

Wasn't Molumphy appointed captain this year even though De la Salle were county champions?

Correct....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement