Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I'd also like to know this. There is nothing about the weekends games on the examiner website, I presume there was in the paper though?

Thers a pic of mullane being held back in the examiner alright. might be an unlucky snap from mullanes point of view. Interesting that John A Murphys match reports portray 2 epic encounters with some top class hurling and the reports on this blog indicate the opposite! Fair play to Johnny though for 'spicing' up our championship in the national media

Just on the manager issue again is there any word on Kevin Ryan? Is he not in the running or just not considered a strong candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭egpower

Just on the manager issue again is there any word on Kevin Ryan? Is he not in the running or just not considered a strong candidate?

I can't be saying where now, but I heard that Dana was in for it with Senator Norris as her fitness coach and Michael D as the team secretary :).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will the players respect Michael Ryan ???.

He was part of the management team that was booted out by the players in 2008.

I fear with Ryan and Nicky Cashin we will be back to the Justin Mccarthy era

Nope, wrong.

Michael was a selector in 2007, not 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

wex_lad wrote: »
    Nope, wrong.

He was there in 2008 as well until McCarthy was sacked.

egpower wrote: »
    I can't be saying where now, but I heard that Dana was in for it with Senator Norris as her fitness coach and Michael D as the team secretary :).

Be awkward in the dressing room after a match with Norris in there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Be awkward in the dressing room after a match with Norris in there...

maybe tom kelly could shed some light on events...............

maybe tom kelly could shed some light on events...............

Haha, ah yeah that'd be unreal.

Tom Kelly's election special, and it coud tie in with the County Final and all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DeiseX

On a different note lads, the 'All Star Wars' show running in the Theatre Royal is definitely work a look! Hilarious stuff, the Davy Fitz character is worth the entrance fee alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

deise_girl wrote: »
    Where does one find said photo?

Yesterday's Examiner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

wex_lad wrote: »
    Nope, wrong.

Was there in 2008 as well. Resigned along with Nicky Cashin and Seamie Hannon when Justin left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 tomkelly99

I was abroad there for a while. But I'm back again, meself and the wife Elaine. Visiting relatives in Australia. God it's a terrible place. Very depressing.

I hear there's an election on. I'm happy with that. I've been saying for years that the best way to pick any new county manager is via an election. Personally, I'll be giving my number one to Michael Ryan. He's one of the greatest comedians I've ever seen, right up there with Billy Connolly, Brendan Grace and all them other lads. I hear one of the Norris's from Gracedieu is running. He's got a good chance. I met him one night in a pub after watching Passage play Roanmore in the hurling. I think the pub was the Blue Oyster.It's gone now, think the Tweedys bought it and knocked it down. It's called Masons now. He struck me as a very jolly fella. Full of quotes and songs and that. But he knew his hurling too. He was saying he was a fan of ground hurling. 'Stick in hand Tom, and pull fast.' I think it was hurling he was talking about. He'd a friend over from Israel at the time. Nice fella, he was a right hoor for the women though.

Did I hear right that Jason Ryan was thinking of running? That's mad. He's only 12. He's very good though. All the Wexford lads think he's great. I also heard that Cllr.Tom D. Higgins is going for the job. How does he do it? Doctor, county mayor, physio, and doesn't he call the prices of the cattle at Dungarvan mart as well? I'm sure he does, bought a few weanlings off him once.

And what did I hear about Dan going for the job? It'd be brillent if he did, I eman Dan is a legend. He was on Put em under Pressure there a few weeks back and he scored something crazy like 3000 points. Someone was saying that they heard him singing in Paddy Foleys a few weeks back. He sang a song called 'All Kinds of Everything' and he was supposed to have brought tears to glass eyes he was so good.There was one fella there and a tear ran down the inside of his pants, Dan was so super. He's great though,Dan, he'd be perfect for the job, sure he knows everyone,driving around in his East Cork Oil lorry,listening to Mos Def or NWA or some of them fellas. He has a tattoo on his arm and apparently the tattoo says 'If you don't know me, you should really get to know me because I'm a great fella altogether and I'd stand for your child if you were stuck.' His arm must be fierce long.

All in all, it's an exciting time to be Deise supporter. I heard the Clare lads voted Davy in to the job in a byelection. His Dad apparently is the Registrar of Elections in Clare. Isn't that gas? Isn't that a massive coincidence altogether. Out of 15,649 valid votes, a whopping 19,654 were for Davy. I know, I was confused with the numbers too but apparently it's all above board. His mother recounts the votes as a favour for her husband. There were two spoilt votes. One was signed by a Mr.D. Shanahan and the other had a big X and a rather crudely drawn image of Ken McGrath with an arrow pointing at Ken saying, 'I,Ken McGrath, am the greatest hurling merchant since Alfie Hale was a nipper'. The authorities up there haven't a clue who did it, but they think it might have been Tony Considine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

tomkelly99 wrote: »
    'Stick in hand Tom, and pull fast.'

big lol

That is probably the funniest thing I've read on the internet...in awe of you Tom, in awe

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

good luck to him if he wants to drive up and down from Tralee 3/4 times a week

whats the story with Jason Ryan hes in then hes out now he seems to be in again? Wexford were supposed to make an announcement on his future last week never materialised

Seems to me no one actually knows whats going on and everyone is just 2nd guessing about whos in the frame

Pat Flanagan is or has moved back to waterford i believe, and also in with Michael Ryan is Brother Philip i'm sure some of ye would know of him he's fairly well respected,I'm almost 100% sure Jason Ryan wont get it great man manager but seriously lacks hurling knowledge needed for county team.. And i heard today Peter Quelly's name being mentioned an jockser from lismore part of his back room team..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pat Flanagan is or has moved back to waterford i believe, and also in with Michael Ryan is Brother Philip i'm sure some of ye would know of him he's fairly well respected,I'm almost 100% sure Jason Ryan wont get it great man manager but seriously lacks hurling knowledge needed for county team.. And i heard today Peter Quelly's name being mentioned an jockser from lismore part of his back room team..

John Allen is gone to Limerick according to anfearrua. will be ratifed on Thursday night.

So it look like it will be Michael Ryan. Will we travel back in time or remain on the same boat as we did with Davy ??

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Jesus Tom that is absolutely priceless piece of work!!!

Tom Kelly for Waterford manager AND President of Ireland! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

John Allen is gone to Limerick according to anfearrua. will be ratifed on Thursday night.

So it look like it will be Michael Ryan. Will we travel back in time or remain on the same boat as we did with Davy ??

To 1994!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,793 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Et Cetera wrote: »
    To 1994!

If so. would really feel bad for the great players like John Mullane, Eoin Kelly, Brick Walsh among others to be subject to such bad management once again and to all have short summers.

Damn Limerick with there Money how come they always get the good managers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

If so. would really feel bad for the great players like John Mullane, Eoin Kelly, Brick Walsh among others to be subject to such bad management once again and to all have short summers.

Have none of you seen the hurling that was done under Michael Ryan??

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Jason Ryan staying with Wexford.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1005/ryanj.html

Wednesday, 5 October 2011 14:51
    Jason Ryan has confirmed that he will continue as manager of the Wexford senior footballers.
    Rumours had been circulating that Ryan was going to quit Wexford to manage the Waterford hurlers, but Ryan will continue with Wexford for a fifth season.
    Referring to the talk of him succeeding Davy Fitzgerald as Deise manager, Ryan said: "I'm very proud of where I come from and it would be a brilliant opportunity, but there is unfinished business in Wexford.

"(Waterford) would be a great job to get, but I haven't interviewed for it. I'll be speaking with the Wexford county board this week to sort out my future."
    Ryan has led the Model County to two Leinster final appearances, and one All-Ireland semi-final in the last four seasons.
    All-Star nominee Ben Brosnan expressed his relief at the news, saying: "If he didn't stay it could have taken us two years back.
    "We would be looking for a manager and, who knows, he might not have got on as well with the players as Jason has.
    "He knows every player. It is a big boost for Wexford football that Jason is staying."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

O Riain wrote: »
    Have none of you seen the hurling that was done under Michael Ryan??

Couldn't agree more, after all this is a discussion forum, and some actual disccusion of the merits or demerits of managerial canditates mightn't go astray, in place of some of the curt judgements being bandied about..

Jason Ryan staying with Wexford.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1005/ryanj.html

Wednesday, 5 October 2011 14:51
    Jason Ryan has confirmed that he will continue as manager of the Wexford senior footballers.
    Rumours had been circulating that Ryan was going to quit Wexford to manage the Waterford hurlers, but Ryan will continue with Wexford for a fifth season.
    Referring to the talk of him succeeding Davy Fitzgerald as Deise manager, Ryan said: "I'm very proud of where I come from and it would be a brilliant opportunity, but there is unfinished business in Wexford.

"(Waterford) would be a great job to get, but I haven't interviewed for it. I'll be speaking with the Wexford county board this week to sort out my future."
    Ryan has led the Model County to two Leinster final appearances, and one All-Ireland semi-final in the last four seasons.
    All-Star nominee Ben Brosnan expressed his relief at the news, saying: "If he didn't stay it could have taken us two years back.
    "We would be looking for a manager and, who knows, he might not have got on as well with the players as Jason has.
    "He knows every player. It is a big boost for Wexford football that Jason is staying."

Yes, bit disappointing, and as alluded to, would seem speculation linking Jason Ryan with the Waterford job may have been nothing more than a negotiating ploy to broker a more amenable deal with the Wexford county board.

Still though, money can only take you so far, and even with all JP's backing, progress in Limerick has not been meteoric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Couldn't agree more, after all this is a discussion forum, and some actual disccusion of the merits or demerits of managerial canditates mightn't go astray, in place of some of the curt judgements being bandied about..

I actually meant to say the hurling that De La Salle done under michael ryan, I saw every game and De La Salle were superb, the forwards were puttin up serious scores in every game(asside from those games on the bitter cold days), I have every bit of faith that michael ryan would do a great job with waterford.

O Riain wrote: »
    I actually meant to say the hurling that De La Salle done under michael ryan, I saw every game and De La Salle were superb, the forwards were puttin up serious scores in every game(asside from those games on the bitter cold days), I have every bit of faith that michael ryan would do a great job with waterford.

Agreed. A successful cv makes a certain case, and if such a canditate is to be knocked, some explanation is necessary, which hasn't been too much in evidence here.

Personally, I'm not sure whether Michael Ryan would make a good manager or not, but surely like all the other canditates/ potential canditates, he deserves a bit of evenhanded critique, as opposed to simple dismissal out of hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

Forget all this manager talk for a second.

Tom Kelly needs a website/blog/twitter.

ah well worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

peter queally...was interviewed also for job

Personally, I'm not sure whether Michael Ryan would make a good manager or not, but surely like all the other canditates/ potential canditates, he deserves a bit of evenhanded critique, as opposed to simple dismissal out of hand..

^^ This

Everybody deserves a chance!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

^^ This

Everybody deserves a chance!

Exactly lads, you'll see me running once Im done with school... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Lads let's not forget Financially our County Board are broke so we wont be getting any big name,If were lucky we'l get a top club manager and not forgetting there's not to many of them around,so i wouldnt be shocked or disappointed to see Michael Ryan get the job he was very good with De La Salle in fairness and a great motivator it was the Bull and Mullane who chased him for DLS so he must be held in some high regard. Let's not forget ballygunner bet them out the gate in early championship last year with one player even walkin off the field and running up the tunnel of walsh park with 10 mins to go (shocking) and the team were at each others throats with everyone blaming everyone bar themselves.. Now to get a group of club players to regroup like he did an totally blitz everyone who came in front of them after that was remarkable and not too many would be able to do that, they outplayed ballygunner all over the field in the county final an showed pure team spirit all year after that coing from behind in the munster semi an in the final and i think they were the best club team in our country so hats off to the man.. The DLS players missed michael ryan this year that was evident last sunday in walsh park. And his hurling CV is not too bad as a manager/selector Railway cups,national league,Provincial championship, county, we certainly would not be going back the way, our underage structure is a success in my eyes u-14,15,16 and minor all having success in the last 3 years so maybe we dont need an outsider maybe we need an insider..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement