Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

Is the captain still drawn from the county champions, or has that tradition passed?

Think Mullane would make a great captain, by the way.

I think Mullane would make a terrible captain as shown by his behaviour in Walsh Park 2 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

are we getting a new jersey for next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    I think Mullane would make a terrible captain as shown by his behaviour in Walsh Park 2 weeks ago.

Yes, but when is the last time Mullane has shown poor judgement in a Waterford shirt - 2003 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Happy that a decision is made, and quite satisfied with the team he has built around him. There is a serious amount of experience there. Hopefully Ryan can return some style to Waterford hurling. DLS were a joy to watch in 2010.

Br Phil is very highly rated up in Laois where he managed some of their underage sides as well as training the seniors.

I know a couple of people closely linked to the Kerry seniors and county board setup who credit Flanagan with revolutionising Kerry football. He was brought in after they were battered in that famous game against Tyrone, and set in place a three year plan to bulk up their team. I've actually been at a couple of his sessions and he is excellent. He should be very important in bringing Waterford's intensity up to KK and Tipp levels.

Cashin obviously has been around a while as well and should bring a good bit of experience and local knowledge to the setup as well.

As for comments about Mullane - people who question his conduct would want to cop on. He is one of the most fouled players in GAA, and frankly some of the punishment he has experienced at club level in recent years is disgraceful. Most people wouldn't be mentally or physically capable of taking the abuse he endures.

I don't think he would be a good captain as Waterford rely so much on him already. He doesn't need any extra responsibility. Brick would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

hardybuck wrote: »
    Happy that a decision is made, and quite satisfied with the team he has built around him. There is a serious amount of experience there. Hopefully Ryan can return some style to Waterford hurling. DLS were a joy to watch in 2010.

Br Phil is very highly rated up in Laois where he managed some of their underage sides as well as training the seniors.

I know a couple of people closely linked to the Kerry seniors and county board setup who credit Flanagan with revolutionising Kerry football. He was brought in after they were battered in that famous game against Tyrone, and set in place a three year plan to bulk up their team. I've actually been at a couple of his sessions and he is excellent. He should be very important in bringing Waterford's intensity up to KK and Tipp levels.

Cashin obviously has been around a while as well and should bring a good bit of experience and local knowledge to the setup as well.

As for comments about Mullane - people who question his conduct would want to cop on. He is one of the most fouled players in GAA, and frankly some of the punishment he has experienced at club level in recent years is disgraceful. Most people wouldn't be mentally or physically capable of taking the abuse he endures.

I don't think he would be a good captain as Waterford rely so much on him already. He doesn't need any extra responsibility. Brick would be my choice.

Thanks for the info on Flanagan and Br. Philip.

And as for what you said underneath it, I coudln't agree more with any of it!

This is no place for petty club disputes, and there is no question but that anyone looking with objective eyes regards Mullane as someone with great integrity, and would be a fine captain....but as you say he does not need the extra responsibility!

Brick has proven himself a fitting captain. Maybe somebody else should be made captain but there are few others you'd pick, maybe Tony if he sticks around!

And to answer the question of who picks captain...the manager has picked the captain since Justin made Brick captain in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So Br Phil was already with the Waterford hurlers in 2011 according to this report

Br. Ryan’s expertise a big addition to hurling set-up
    By Tomas McCarthy

Before the Christmas period, Davy Fitzgerald made what could prove a valuable addition to his management team for 2011. Brother Philip Ryan has joined the Waterford set-up and will work closely with selector, Pat Bennett, on the defensive make up of the team. Ryan originally agreed to take charge of the Laois minor hurling team in August but stepped down from the position when offered the opportunity with Waterford.
    Brother Philip, who hails from Tipperary, brings an array of experience to his new role from his time in the O’Moore county. For the last three seasons he has trained the Laois senior hurling team under the guidance of manager, Niall Rigney. In 2009 Laois narrowly missed out on an All Ireland quarter final, losing by three points to Limerick in a qualifier at Semple Stadium. After a disappointing 2010 championship run, Rigney stepped down from his position along with his backroom team. Ryan made his name at club level with the Portlaoise senior team.
    A teacher in Portlaoise CBS, Ryan got the call in 2007 from manager, Niall Rigney, to become part of his backroom team. For a club well known for their prowess in football, Ryan and Rigney took them to three county hurling finals in a row in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Although they lost all three, Portlaoise’s breakthrough was a remarkable feat and Ryan’s influence wasn’t forgotten.
    Matthew Whelan, a member of the Laois senior hurling team, regards Ryan very highly after his three year involvement. “He came in when Laois hurling got a little stale and along with Niall Rigney he changed the team’s attitude. He instilled a toughness, team work and ruthlessness to the team. Whelan is in no doubt that the Ryan’s coaching improved the quality of their hurling describing him as an “outstanding coach in all facets of the game like movement off the ball, defending and creating scores. Gets the best out of players, treats everyone with honesty but demands the same on the field and in preparation. I think Waterford have a gem.”

In Limerick hurling circles, Ryan also played a crucial role especially at under-age level. Ryan was one of the men who drew up a five year plan for the county to improve their structures and develop young hurlers. He served as secretary of the County Bord na nÓg and also coached the Limerick under 16 teams. Many of the players who trained under Ryan made a major contribution to Limerick’s three All Ireland under 21 triumphs in 2000, 2001 and 2002.
    Ryan will realise the task ahead in tightening Waterford’s defence. The evidence from his time with Laois is encouraging in this regard. In last year’s Division 2 campaign Laois only conceded an average of 14 points per game. Added to that, since Galway fired 5-29 past them in May 2009, the O’Moore men have only shipped two goals in their last five championship games.
    A look at Waterford’s defensive stats reflects the work that is required over the coming months. In last year’s league and championship, over the course of 11 games, Waterford allowed 19 goals past them. Under Davy Fitzgerald’s rein a total of 21 goals in 14 championship games have been conceded. If Brother Philip can repair even some of this leakage and replicate the work undertaken in other counties the Waterford hurlers indeed have a gem on their hands. Here’s hoping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

Haven't been following events re Waterford management job? Is Davey there yet? Has Davey taken on the Clare job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yes, Davy has gone to Clare and Michael Ryan is on the brink of getting the Waterford job. His name will be put forward by the selection committee and ratified Monday night I believe.
    Happy with Ryan and that backroom team. Given the financial constraints, it was the best choice available IMO. Hopefully their knowledge of the game and with them being local, they'll be able to get the best out of what we have and bring on the younger lads.

The very best of luck to Michael, Nicky, Pat and Br. Philip.

Up the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So Br Phil was already with the Waterford hurlers in 2011 according to this report

By Tomas McCarthy

Before the Christmas period, Davy Fitzgerald made what could prove a valuable addition to his management team for 2011. Brother Philip Ryan has joined the Waterford set-up and will work closely with selector, Pat Bennett, on the defensive make up of the team. Ryan originally agreed to take charge of the Laois minor hurling team in August but stepped down from the position when offered the opportunity with Waterford.
    Brother Philip, who hails from Tipperary, brings an array of experience to his new role from his time in the O’Moore county. For the last three seasons he has trained the Laois senior hurling team under the guidance of manager, Niall Rigney. In 2009 Laois narrowly missed out on an All Ireland quarter final, losing by three points to Limerick in a qualifier at Semple Stadium. After a disappointing 2010 championship run, Rigney stepped down from his position along with his backroom team. Ryan made his name at club level with the Portlaoise senior team.
    A teacher in Portlaoise CBS, Ryan got the call in 2007 from manager, Niall Rigney, to become part of his backroom team. For a club well known for their prowess in football, Ryan and Rigney took them to three county hurling finals in a row in 2007, 2008 and 2009. Although they lost all three, Portlaoise’s breakthrough was a remarkable feat and Ryan’s influence wasn’t forgotten.
    Matthew Whelan, a member of the Laois senior hurling team, regards Ryan very highly after his three year involvement. “He came in when Laois hurling got a little stale and along with Niall Rigney he changed the team’s attitude. He instilled a toughness, team work and ruthlessness to the team. Whelan is in no doubt that the Ryan’s coaching improved the quality of their hurling describing him as an “outstanding coach in all facets of the game like movement off the ball, defending and creating scores. Gets the best out of players, treats everyone with honesty but demands the same on the field and in preparation. I think Waterford have a gem.”

In Limerick hurling circles, Ryan also played a crucial role especially at under-age level. Ryan was one of the men who drew up a five year plan for the county to improve their structures and develop young hurlers. He served as secretary of the County Bord na nÓg and also coached the Limerick under 16 teams. Many of the players who trained under Ryan made a major contribution to Limerick’s three All Ireland under 21 triumphs in 2000, 2001 and 2002.
    Ryan will realise the task ahead in tightening Waterford’s defence. The evidence from his time with Laois is encouraging in this regard. In last year’s Division 2 campaign Laois only conceded an average of 14 points per game. Added to that, since Galway fired 5-29 past them in May 2009, the O’Moore men have only shipped two goals in their last five championship games.
    A look at Waterford’s defensive stats reflects the work that is required over the coming months. In last year’s league and championship, over the course of 11 games, Waterford allowed 19 goals past them. Under Davy Fitzgerald’s rein a total of 21 goals in 14 championship games have been conceded. If Brother Philip can repair even some of this leakage and replicate the work undertaken in other counties the Waterford hurlers indeed have a gem on their hands. Here’s hoping.

Seen that in the News & Star too when I went hunting for info earlier. Would seem we've got three very highly regarded men in place, with Nicky Cashin, Pat Flanagan and Br. Philip Ryan involved (not to mention Michael Ryan as manager himself), and to be honest find myself feeling a lot more confident about the set-up for next year, than I have been for the last few weeks/ months.

For anyone looking for the original article quoted above, the link is here: http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mheycwkfid/. Also, recognising the authors name, isn't the author a poster here too ?

PTH2009 wrote: »

By Tomas McCarthy

Apparently he's a big hit with the players.

I think it's a pretty strong looking management team, and I'm pleased and excited about next year.

• Advertisement

Seen that in the News & Star too when I went hunting for info earlier. Would seem we've got three very highly regarded men in place, with Nicky Cashin, Pat Flanagan and Br. Philip Ryan involved (not to mention Michael Ryan as manager himself), and to be honest find myself feeling a lot more confident about the set-up for next year, than I have been for the last few weeks/ months.

For anyone looking for the original article quoted above, the link is here: http://www.waterford-news.ie/news/mheycwkfid/. Also, recognising the authors name, isn't the author a poster here too ?

Tis our own Mossy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Tis our own Mossy! :D
    anyone hear who,s in charge of minors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Their parents/guardians

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What are the requirements of the selectors ??

there is an obivious one but what are there other duties

Was wondering myself, I reckon Chuck O' Connor again. Also I'd hazard a guess at Fergal back for another year with the U21's.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

I see Dunhill and Tourin drew today in the intermediate final, anyone at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

is Ballygunner v Tallow on TG4 today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

comeraghs wrote: »
    is Ballygunner v Tallow on TG4 today?

Dont' think so - seems to be the Cork football final.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

that was last weekend Fricatus, all it says on the TG4 site is "live coverage of GAA" no other details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

comeraghs wrote: »
    that was last weekend Fricatus, all it says on the TG4 site is "live coverage of GAA" no other details.

Hmmmm... I got that off the UPC guide for today... Irish Times magazine just says "hurling and football county finals", so I guess I don't know!

• Advertisement

Cork football and deferred coverage of Tipp hurling is on.

Sure, tis a lovely day to be going to Walsh Park anyway! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Wonder have they found the national anthem tape yet? :pac:

Mega Chin wrote: »
    Wonder have they found the national anthem tape yet? :pac:

That a-cappella version was very entertaining to listen to and we on our way into the grounds! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Gunners run away with it 1-19 to 0-06.

Wayne Hutchinson immense at CB, great to see him hurling well again after his injuries earlier in the year. Pauric Mahony MOTM with 0-12.

They now play Drom-Inch in the Munster QF in Tipp in two weeks time, with the winners playing Na Piarsaigh of Lim at home venue.

Well that was a horribly one sided affair. As soon as BG got the first goal, that was that really. Paudric Mahony got MOTM, he did well but I thought Wayne Hutchinson was immense, caught every ball that came his way. Shane O'Sullivan was very good too. Tallow were very poor and were just overpowered by BG all over the pitch.
    Best of luck to BG in the Munster club championship.

Good minor game, much better than the senior. DLS dominated the first half and looked like they were going to win handy enough. But credit to Lismore they roared back into it second half and got scores at crucial times. Stephen Bennet made one and scored one, he was MOTM and well deserved. Caught some excellent balls and caused the DLS backline trouble all day long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

An awful hammering for Tallow!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Where did it all go wrong...

Well I know where.. At 15:31 >.<

deise_girl wrote: »
    Where did it all go wrong...

Well I know where.. At 15:31 >.<

Ah well, it was kinda what we all hoped wouldn't happen. Tallow needed to get off to a good start and I'd say they won the toss and opted to play with the aid of the stiff breeze first half. Tommy Ryan got a good score (Tallow's first IIRC) down on the right by the sideline but Ballygunner took over after that. Tallow needed to get more out of having the aid of that breeze but didn't.
    We all knew Tallow were going to be up against it and would really have to play out of their skins to have any chance but they just never really got into it.

Looks like BG will be up against Drom & Inch in two weeks time up in Tipp. Should be a good game. BG could have done with a good, tough game under their belts going into though but I reckon they're two evenly matched teams.

daddydick wrote: »
    Gunners run away with it 1-19 to 0-06.

Wayne Hutchinson immense at CB, great to see him hurling well again after his injuries earlier in the year. Pauric Mahony MOTM with 0-12.

They now play Drom-Inch in the Munster QF in Tipp in two weeks time, with the winners playing Na Piarsaigh of Lim at home venue.

Are you sure it's not Na Piarsaigh in the quarters?

Hutchison has been quite impressive in the last three games Ballygunner have played.

David O'Sullivan also deserves a mention, really think he's coming on each game he plays. However, awful decision by Tallow to put Tommy Ryan on him. Also, Tommy Daly seems to be hard done by. He came on today and the last day and both times he had significant impact. Apparently he was playing in the junior championship up to that!

The only positives (and it's more personal positives then positives for the team) for Tallow were Aiden Kearney keeping Brian O'Sullivan in his pocket, and Aaron Pratt, at such a young age, firing over two great points and working hard.

And also, the last time they met it was 17 points in it...so yeah, progress :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Are you sure it's not Na Piarsaigh in the quarters?

No its definitely Drom v Ballygunner, pretty poor planning by the Limerick County Board IMO, Na Piarsiagh will be going into that game not having played in a month, what was the panic with the Limerick County Final??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement