Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Haven't heard anything yet about the All-Stars.

Copied and pasted from another site, next years provisional fixtures:

According to today's Examiner

Provisional 2012 Allianz Hurling League fixtures:

DIVISION 1A
    February 26: Cork v Waterford, Galway v Dublin, Kilkenny v Tipperary;

March 11: Dublin v Cork, Tipperary v Galway, Waterford v Kilkenny

March 18: Cork v Galway, Kilkenny v Dublin, Tipperary v Waterford.

March 24: Dublin v Tipperary

March 25: Cork v Kilkenny, Galway v Waterford

April 1: Waterford v Dublin, Kilkenny v Galway, Tipperary v Cork.

DIVISION 1B – February 25: Limerick v Clare

February 26: Offaly v Laois, Antrim v Wexford

March 11: Clare v Antrim, Wexford v Offaly, Laois v Limerick

March 18: Offaly v Antrim, Wexford v Limerick, Laois v Clare.

March 24: Limerick v Offaly

March 25 Clare v Wexford, Antrim v Laois

April 1: Wexford v Laois, Offaly v Clare, Antrim v Limerick.

Another year where we have more away games than home which is disappointing and only 2 home games. Tough campaign in store with trying to bring on younger lads and remaining in Div. 1A, we'd want to be looking at getting at least two wins and there isn't really any game there where you'd say we'll definitely win! It's a real minefield for all teams involved but it should make for some good games.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

any sign of an allstar team yet? dont they release one team the day or 2 before and its the hurlings turn this year?

All Star Team named, with Mullane the sole Waterford recipient, as most suspected:

2011 GAA GPA All-Star hurling team

Goalkeeper
    1. Gary Maguire (Dublin)

Full backs
    2. Paul Murphy (Kilkenny)
    3. Paul Curran (Tipperary)
    4. Michael Cahill (Tipperary)

Half backs
    5. Tommy Walsh (Kilkenny)
    6. Brian Hogan (Kilkenny)
    7. Pádraic Maher (Tipperary)

Midfielders
    8. Liam Rushe (Dublin)
    9. Michael Fennelly (Kilkenny)

Half forwards
    10. Michael Rice (Kilkenny)
    11. Richie Power (Kilkenny)
    12. Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny)

Full forwards
    13. John Mullane (Waterford)
    14. Lar Corbett (Tipperary)
    15. Richie Hogan (Kilkenny)

(http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1021/allstars.html)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭blue note

If we don't get to the semi finals we have a month and a half of league hurling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

blue note wrote: »
    If we don't get to the semi finals we have a month and a half of league hurling this year.

Thats the big fear with the league revamp alright. I can't believe it was decided that reducing the number of games teams have, was a good idea. In any case, here's hoping we'll make one of the league semis, and get some more valuable games under our belts pre-championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Thats the big fear with the league revamp alright. I can't believe it was decided that reducing the number of games teams have, was a good idea. In any case, here's hoping we'll make one of the league semis, and get some more valuable games under our belts pre-championship.

You could see it from the point of view of the club games. I mentioned a while ago how Stradbally and The Nire/Fourmilewater had to play 6/7 weeks in a row through hurling and football.

Anyone notcie Mullane limping, by the way, at the all-stars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 toggingout

I see the county board has the begging cap out again. After allowing Davy run riot with the expenses and treating the clubs like sh#t. They come out saying that the clubs are really not helping with their development draw. What kind of uneducated muppets have we in the county boards. In what walk of life do you treat somebody like crap and then expect them to help you. The county board is only interested in the hurling county team and are slowly wasting away any resemblance of a club season in the county. Clubs have finally copped on. As i said a bit of cop on goes along way in this world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Well done Ballinacourty on winning the county Title in terrible conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I see the county board has the begging cap out again. After allowing Davy run riot with the expenses and treating the clubs like sh#t. They come out saying that the clubs are really not helping with their development draw. What kind of uneducated muppets have we in the county boards. In what walk of life do you treat somebody like crap and then expect them to help you. The county board is only interested in the hurling county team and are slowly wasting away any resemblance of a club season in the county. Clubs have finally copped on. As i said a bit of cop on goes along way in this world
    21-10-2011 19:18

Well Said..as they say "You reap what you sow". Whats even more galling is that they have no shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Et Cetera

toggingout wrote: »
    ?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Well done Ballinacourty on winning the county Title in terrible conditions.
    Apparently the pitch was destroyed?

• Advertisement

Et Cetera wrote: »
    Apparently the pitch was destroyed?
    They're seriously over-using Fraher Field to be honest!

Think maybe you're being a little harsh here. I would agree that Davy was given to much freedom and that he was facilitates no end in terms of funding we didn't have. I don't, however, agree about the running of the club championship.

Of course, calling off the football games was a desperate mistake and we have always been a bit cautious in terms of allowing weeks go by when games could be played for fear of inter-county players getting injured. It's not easy though, organising as many games. Also, I'd like to know exactly what clubs are suffering that didn't get the support from the board that would be given by any other board?

To the best of my knowledge, grants and such are applied equally to all clubs and are allocated by central council. And that the board supports clubs with the Deise Draw and such. Clubs have their own responsibilities to raise funds for themselves too.

Do you have any examples of clubs that have been dealt a raw deal?

If not what you're saying to me is merely just another 'Ah that shower only care about themselves' which would be just an aimless attitude to have and very unfair on the people in question.

Feel free to correct me on anything if I'm wrong though

I would agree that Davy was given to much freedom and that he was facilitates no end in terms of funding we didn't have. I don't, however, agree about the running of the club championship.

Of course, calling off the football games was a desperate mistake and we have always been a bit cautious in terms of allowing weeks go by when games could be played for fear of inter-county players getting injured.

You've answered your own question. Try being a club player who gives his all throughout the year in regards training and preperation only for those in charge to give 2 fingers to you. After a few years...it wears you down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Deise 2012

They're seriously over-using Fraher Field to be honest!

4 games on Saturday and 2 on sunday was madness, as we all know the forecast was not good. Both sides i heard were giving out before the game about the condition of the field. What did BAllinacourty do then before the game, they had between 40 and 50 people out on it for the warm up. Asking the children to play as well was madness. WHile all for them playing in front of large crowds, yesterday was not a day to do it. What would have happened and it could have happened very easily yesterday if a player slipped and broke a leg or an arm. Who would be responsible.

Teebor15 wrote: »
    You've answered your own question. Try being a club player who gives his all throughout the year in regards training and preperation only for those in charge to give 2 fingers to you. After a few years...it wears you down!

Sure I know, but I don't recall games being called off before the way they were for that. And it isn't like the games weren't played.

I do agree it was wrong, but don't agree that this a regular occurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 toggingout

I am not against the county board having a draw but for the chairman to come out and say clubs aren't helping is a bit much. All clubs sell as many deise draw tickets as possible, we all know what its like to ask someone for €90 at the start of the year and then we have to go and ask the same people for another €20 at the end o fthe year? c'mon. At what stages are clubs allowed to run their own small draws where the prizes will stay in the locality. I don't see the chairman coming out and telling everyone why we are so short on money, they must have spent it on club development or coaching or upgrading Walsh Park, sure where else could it have went.

Regarding the club season, in what other counties are club teams allowed to organise their own league games. This makes a complete farce of the competition. Could you imagine junior soccer doing this in their leagues. Yes clubs want it this way sometimes but they shouldn't be allowed. League games should be played once a week with football one week and hurling the next. They should go back to the all county leagues with about 8 teams in each division with relagation and promotion every year, like in many other counties, regardless of the grade you play championship. But the county board are to busy to do anything like this.

I am not against the county board having a draw but for the chairman to come out and say clubs aren't helping is a bit much. All clubs sell as many deise draw tickets as possible, we all know what its like to ask someone for €90 at the start of the year and then we have to go and ask the same people for another €20 at the end o fthe year? c'mon. At what stages are clubs allowed to run their own small draws where the prizes will stay in the locality. I don't see the chairman coming out and telling everyone why we are so short on money, they must have spent it on club development or coaching or upgrading Walsh Park, sure where else could it have went.

Regarding the club season, in what other counties are club teams allowed to organise their own league games. This makes a complete farce of the competition. Could you imagine junior soccer doing this in their leagues. Yes clubs want it this way sometimes but they shouldn't be allowed. League games should be played once a week with football one week and hurling the next. They should go back to the all county leagues with about 8 teams in each division with relagation and promotion every year, like in many other counties, regardless of the grade you play championship. But the county board are to busy to do anything like this.

1st paragraph I agree. Nothing in there that I'd take exception to really. I can understand that they need the money so they have the draw, but you're right, they're probably going about it the wrong way.

I dunno what systems other counties have in place as regards league games, but to be honest I think part of the problem is we've three competitions. They should get rid of the Sargents cup and Phelan Cup. I wasn't aware that clubs got to organise there own league games, as they often seem to be missing at least half there team, and not all due to players being away with County teams. I don't see the issue with that too much, I suppose there has to be some sort of policing done, but enforcing fixtures on clubs that they simply cannot fulfil at that particular time would equally not make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Best of luck to Ballygunner on Sunday, it has the makings of a great game as Drum & Inch are a real quality side. I hope the weather will be kinder than last Sunday it was impossible to judge the teams who played in such appalling conditions, every game from here on is the same as a county final where any team can win on the day although home advantage is a big plus.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Is the Ballygunner game on tv anyone know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just noticed the poll was still open, don't think there's much need for it as a new manager has been appointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭Speak Now

deise_girl wrote: »

Dont know if TG4 decided yet, Kilkenny County Final replay and Ulster Football Q.F's also on Sunday.
    What did they show last week, was it the Clare hurling county final?

Look..its all just a load of bollocks. The county board could'nt give a **** about te clubs. How the hell does a gap of 9 weeks between round 3 and 4 of the SHC make any sense. Its even worse in the football...12 weeks!..12 weeks of peak summer weather only for County finals to be played in the pure ****e like we had over the last few weeks. Yes they made a balls with the football fixtures ealier on..but did anyone see an apology to the club player in any local media or on the Waterford gaa website..not a chance..club players are so beneath them they just could'nt admit to it!

They throw us poxy leagues or mickey mouse cup competions just to keep us out of the way while their up at county training licking the arse off county players/mentors and planning their next junket to croke park/thurles and all the trimmings that come with that. Sargent cup?..i mean can anyone tell me off the top of their head who won this years..is it even over yet..didnt see anything in paper about it. As for the phelan cup..not sure if the 2010 final was ever played..i know the same teams were in both the 2010 and 2011 finals..did they play the one game to decide both years or what...like Saviours and Ballinameela done earlier when they played the one game to decide a fixture for 2 competions!!! I mean what the f**k!

The county baord got lucky this year with their fixtures..no senior dual club got to the latter stages of both fixtures. But what about a few years ago when we had SFC winners not able to play in munster cause of a fixture f**k up during the year.

And now the coffers are empty cause as togging out says because obviously they have spent it all on "Club development"!!! they want more so they can finance their activities for the next summer. No wonder so many of them have big bellies..surprised they can fit through the doors of the ramada for the post training grub these days!

As Mountain lad and togging out have suggested..scrap the mickey mouse cups..put in a proper league system..at least for the senior/intermediate teams with relegation/promotion and set fixtures put in place that can only be altered within the weekend their down for..(eg..move from the fri night to sun afternoon.) through the county board with mutaul consent from both clubs.

The clubs are no angels when it comes to taking competions serious but their only following the lead of the county board who could'nt give a f**k..let the county board set the tone, promote the league more..establish as a proper competion to be played with or without county players, so that your average club player can enjoy his sport during the months its meant to played in!

Until club players (especially football) in the county start getting some respect then emmigration is the least of the GAA's worries when it comes to losing players.

Will anything change?..doubt it going on this years experince!

deise_girl wrote: »

Nope. They're showing the Kerry County Final, and the Dublin hurling County final.

Look..its all just a load of bollocks. The county board could'nt give a **** about te clubs. How the hell does a gap of 9 weeks between round 3 and 4 of the SHC make any sense. Its even worse in the football...12 weeks!..12 weeks of peak summer weather only for County finals to be played in the pure ****e like we had over the last few weeks. Yes they made a balls with the football fixtures ealier on..but did anyone see an apology to the club player in any local media or on the Waterford gaa website..not a chance..club players are so beneath them they just could'nt admit to it!

They throw us poxy leagues or mickey mouse cup competions just to keep us out of the way while their up at county training licking the arse off county players/mentors and planning their next junket to croke park/thurles and all the trimmings that come with that. Sargent cup?..i mean can anyone tell me off the top of their head who won this years..is it even over yet..didnt see anything in paper about it. As for the phelan cup..not sure if the 2010 final was ever played..i know the same teams were in both the 2010 and 2011 finals..did they play the one game to decide both years or what...like Saviours and Ballinameela done earlier when they played the one game to decide a fixture for 2 competions!!! I mean what the f**k!

The county baord got lucky this year with their fixtures..no senior dual club got to the latter stages of both fixtures. But what about a few years ago when we had SFC winners not able to play in munster cause of a fixture f**k up during the year.

And now the coffers are empty cause as togging out says because obviously they have spent it all on "Club development"!!! they want more so they can finance their activities for the next summer. No wonder so many of them have big bellies..surprised they can fit through the doors of the ramada for the post training grub these days!

As Mountain lad and togging out have suggested..scrap the mickey mouse cups..put in a proper league system..at least for the senior/intermediate teams with relegation/promotion and set fixtures put in place that can only be altered within the weekend their down for..(eg..move from the fri night to sun afternoon.) through the county board with mutaul consent from both clubs.

The clubs are no angels when it comes to taking competions serious but their only following the lead of the county board who could'nt give a f**k..let the county board set the tone, promote the league more..establish as a proper competion to be played with or without county players, so that your average club player can enjoy his sport during the months its meant to played in!

Until club players (especially football) in the county start getting some respect then emmigration is the least of the GAA's worries when it comes to losing players.

Yeah would agree that something needs to be done regarding fixtures, and they were lucky we didn't have a similar situation to 2008 regarding not meeting the deadline for the Munster Football Club Championship.

Think Lismore won the Sargen't cup, it was definetly played. Not sure about the Phelan Cup. But they're just absolete competitions, that when run in conjunction mean neither will be played (usually). De La Salle, Fourmilewater, Ballyduff Upper and Dungarvan are in the Semi Finals of the league in the hurling, and there is no indication as to when that might be played, don't think it'll be until next year (similar situation with the football). I know that the Phelan Cup final for 2009 wasn't played until Paddy's day 2010. So definetly, competitions need to be sorted out! (Just checked there, Killrossanty won the Phelan Cup for this year, which was played in July)

Again, I don't know how exactly the fixtures are organised, I thought it was something like what you're suggesting. If not, then what you're suggesting is the way I'd have it to, except for maybe in exceptional cases.

County Finals will always end up on at this time of year. It's the same in every county. The only thing that could happen is Waterford going out of the football and hurling very early. Then maybe they'd be played at thend of September, but more than likely they'd just allow extra rest for players and the finals would still be on this time of year.

1 - Hurlers get too much time to 'prepare' for their games. It was absolutely ridiculous this year when the hurlers got a round football games called off to 'prepare' for the Tip game. We all know what happened, they lost by 20+ points. I hope this set a precedent and it will never happen again, because it was an embarrassment and a disgrace that it was allowed happen. Why can't Intercounty players play club championship the week or two before or (not and) after an Intercounty game? These are the fittest, strongest guys we have. This idea of rest is ridiculous.

2 - Our County Chairman is totally spineless to not stand up for the above. It won't change.

3 - Intercounty fixtures are a joke in general, the fact that replays can happen with 6 days notice throws everything into chaos. If there were no replays there would be much less panic. I honestly think the GAA needs to set aside club weekends where the club have to play their club games, and no intercounty games will be played on that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

I bet u feel a lot better now tho u got that off ur chest lol..... hard to beat a good rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Lads, I've put up a list of results for Waterford team in the Munster and All-Ireland club championships. You can find it here. Less topically, I've also updated the list of NHL results as far back as 1939/40 and put them all in one big list, you can find that here. Any corrections are welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Now that the senior hurling position has been decided upon, what is the state of play with regard to the rest of the county teams hurling and football? Is the likes of Owens staying on, and if so what is his backroom team like?

I remember someone telling me a couple of years back about an underage team where the management team was appointed in late December, the first trials could not be held until Jan, and then the team was out in Championship in March!? You may as well not bother fielding a team if that is the approach from county board. Hopefully that was an isolated incident.

In bigger counties its great to see that managers are appointed at U14 level and follow the team up through the grades - as long as they are the right people! Encourages development of players and styles of play etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

hardybuck wrote: »
    In bigger counties its great to see that managers are appointed at U14 level and follow the team up through the grades - as long as they are the right people! Encourages development of players and styles of play etc.

Has its flaws too, and yes while continuity is good, it esentially means that if a player is overlooked at u-14 they will invariably be overlooked all the way through and we all know that a year is along time in the carreer of an underage player never mind 4 or 5, alot of county panels here in Tipp I have seen it is nearly harder to get off them than on them once you are on the original one, if a player is deemed not good enough at u-14 they will have to be playing nearly twice as good at minor to be considered, all coaches at all levels have their favourites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Best of luck to Ballygunner and Dunhill in their Munster championship matches today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement