Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, think a congratulations is in order for the aptly nicknamed rambo, Stephen Molumphy, on getting married. Congrats Stephen and the best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Anybody watch Championship Maters tonight. The three panel members all went for Cork. Tommy Carr, Steven Lucy and not to show any bias I got a great laugh when Mr Makeup asked the third member who's going to win. Diarmud O'Fynn was the third member by the way. If I was a stranger to these parts I would have to ask who are Cork playing, the coverage was so one sided. Why are we always wrote off every match we play. We have more than a point to prove on Sunday lets hope we can prove all the experts wrong again. Hope Tommy Ryan has a good game he's about the same size as Seany McGrath was when he started for Cork and he proved to be quite handy for a small chap.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Anybody watch Championship Maters tonight. The three panel members all went for Cork. Tommy Carr, Steven Lucy and not to show any bias I got a great laugh when Mr Makeup asked the third member who's going to win. Diarmud O'Fynn was the third member by the way. If I was a stranger to these parts I would have to ask who are Cork playing, the coverage was so one sided. Why are we always wrote off every match we play. We have more than a point to prove on Sunday lets hope we can prove all the experts wrong again. Hope Tommy Ryan has a good game he's about the same size as Seany McGrath was when he started for Cork and he proved to be quite handy for a small chap.

Tommy Carr, pfft!

The three they had on before the Munster Semi all went for Clare, to Mary's great delight. They've all been wrong before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, think a congratulations is in order for the aptly nicknamed rambo, Stephen Molumphy, on getting married. Congrats Stephen and the best of luck :)

Yeah, last week I think wasn't it? Heard Davy was down at it aswell, fair play to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Calling our chances on Sunday, really brings the muppets out of the woodwork, and shows the level of knowledge of many of 'those in the know'. Hard one to call, but would give us the nod in a close contest on Sunday due to the experience in the side, and the fact we are further along in our development (new style) than Cork (new players, new style). Both teams are coming teams, and I think maintaining momentum will be important, and a win on Sunday for either team will be very valuable to maintain the rate of progress.

In all though, both teams will be stronger in the next year or two, and think that's what will make Sunday a pulsating contest, especially when you factor in the history of these two teams and that neither will want to yield to the other on Sunday. I think either Waterford or Cork would fancy a crack at Galway, so the carrot on Sunday is massive. Up the Déise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭seananigans

Could be Tony's last game oh Gawd....

Hope to god they bury it ..and if he comes off again for it to be a standing ovation

Could be Tony's last game oh Gawd....

Hope to god they bury it ..and if he comes off again for it to be a standing ovation
    He must be the only man I know that gets a standing ovation when he's coming off.

He must be the only man I know that gets a standing ovation when he's coming off.

You're right. Perhaps we might consider giving Kelly an ovation the next time he comes off, might cheer him up no end :p

You're right. Perhaps we might consider giving Kelly an ovation the next time he comes off, might cheer him up no end :p

It worries me the ovation he gets when he goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,916 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Who do you think will be the new senoir football manager??.

Could we attract a big name ie Jason Ryan, Mck O Dwyer, Padi O Se.

Could possbily see John Kiely getting another stint.

• Advertisement

Last time it wasn't standng ,but the man deserves somethign special if it is to be his last,I give Waterford 53% to 47% but if we are getting hammered out the gate.might be good to leave him off with dignity

It worries me the ovation he gets when he goes on...

Ha Ha Ha very good very good.

Paddy power giving minus 2 oods,thatoutright positive since it hasnt given positive odds for us in a few seasons i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Calling our chances on Sunday, really brings the muppets out of the woodwork, and shows the level of knowledge of many of 'those in the know'. Hard one to call, but would give us the nod in a close contest on Sunday due to the experience in the side, and the fact we are further along in our development (new style) than Cork (new players, new style). Both teams are coming teams, and I think maintaining momentum will be important, and a win on Sunday for either team will be very valuable to maintain the rate of progress.

In all though, both teams will be stronger in the next year or two, and think that's what will make Sunday a pulsating contest, especially when you factor in the history of these two teams and that neither will want to yield to the other on Sunday. I think either Waterford or Cork would fancy a crack at Galway, so the carrot on Sunday is massive. Up the Déise!

Dosent bother me in the slightest whether were written off or whatever but I dont think its widely acknowledged outside of this county the quality of young players coming through. We hear lots about the youngsters in Cork and other counties and the fact that our u21s were so heavily beaten last week wouldnt have opened the bookies eyes any more either. But thats not a true reflection of where waterford hurling is at and i for one am happy to be written off. suits us just fine

What I will say however is I that We have a lot more to lose than Cork in this game. Cork have one eye on the future win lose or draw, for us its an ideal oppertunity this year with KK and Tipp on the other side of the draw and youd really say has to be a last chance saloon for the likes of Mullane, Browne, Seamus Prender and maybe even brick to get back into an AI final because when they move on in the next couple years its going to be a long road ahead to rebuild

• Registered Users Posts: 34 deisedub

Just to wet the Appetite for Sunday, Waterford u. 16s v Cork in Dungarvan pitch this evening, 2 games being played 1, possibles @ 6-15pm 2, probables @ 7-30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Orizio wrote: »
    No, every player from 8-15 needs to be able to contribute to the scoreboard, regardless of their other attributes. That is the only way you win AIs.

So wide of the mark tbh, Bonner Maher is the best centre forward in the country , in three championships he has played he has scored a grand total of 1-03, Derek Lyng and Eddie Enright were two of the best midfielders of their generation, I cant remeber either ever been prolific, Clare team that won the AI in 95 and 97 had only one player for 8-15 that you could describe as free-scoring.

...thats the most you can hope for because he is a limited player. You expect more from top quality 11s. And I'm not the one being naive, trust me.

Who are the top centre forwards in the country so in your opinion??

That Cork have reverted back to McDonnell and have been forced to play Cadogan, and indeed Sean Og making his first championship start in 2 years having fallen out of favour earlier in the year smacks of desperation.

Haven't seen this Kearney lad play so I can't comment on him to be fair.

Far from a settled team it has to be said, and that backline would not inspire confidence in me if I was a Cork fan.

I'm not usually one to make a definitive judgement on a game before for fear of looking the fool (talked us up a lot before the 2008 all-ireland final) but my confidence seems to be growing all the while with regard to this game. Hope I don't regret that :D

My reaction to looking at both teams selected was exactly a carbon copy of this and tbh I duly rushed to my local bookie to avail of the 6/4 before it was gone, if Waterford forwards perform in any meaningfull way they will win this game, there are so many weakness's in Cork back 6 its fightening.

lol something doesn't add up here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

That show is a shambles anyway. Watched it for the first and probably the last time last week. The analysis was non-existand as they didn't have enough time, and what time they had was wasted on the quality of the guests they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Dosent bother me in the slightest whether were written off or whatever but I dont think its widely acknowledged outside of this county the quality of young players coming through. We hear lots about the youngsters in Cork and other counties and the fact that our u21s were so heavily beaten last week wouldnt have opened the bookies eyes any more either. But thats not a true reflection of where waterford hurling is at and i for one am happy to be written off. suits us just fine

What I will say however is I that We have a lot more to lose than Cork in this game. Cork have one eye on the future win lose or draw, for us its an ideal oppertunity this year with KK and Tipp on the other side of the draw and youd really say has to be a last chance saloon for the likes of Mullane, Browne, Seamus Prender and maybe even brick to get back into an AI final because when they move on in the next couple years its going to be a long road ahead to rebuild

Did someone else right your second paragraph as its a total contradiction of the first one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Funfair wrote: »
    Did someone else right your second paragraph as its a total contradiction of the first one :D

No wrote it all myself. I dont see any contradiction :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

My first foray into doing a bit of GAA writing and its a preview of KK and Limerick on Sunday. The site admins didnt want me doing a biased preview on the Waterford game :pac:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/kilkenny-limerick-2012-preview/

Any thoughts or feedback gratefully accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

My reaction to looking at both teams selected was exactly a carbon copy of this and tbh I duly rushed to my local bookie to avail of the 6/4 before it was gone, if Waterford forwards perform in any meaningfull way they will win this game, there are so many weakness's in Cork back 6 its fightening.

I cant understand why and it really annoys me that all these so called experts seem to be unanimously making Cork clear favorites for Sundays game. If anything, with our recent chamionship record, we should be favourites. But when were we ever favourites against Cork?

This, imo, is one of the poorest Cork sides in many a long year. yes they got to within a point of Tipp but that was on their home turf with Tipp down to 14 men. They werent particularly impressive against either offaly or Wexford. They got to a league final but capitulated against the cats and most of the league games they won were by narrow margins so this notion that they will come and blow us out of the water or win handy i dont see the evidence. Yes JBM is a factor and he'll be getting the best out of them(Our record against JBM teams when he was last in charge wasnt very good) but if we play reasonably well we should beat them by 4-5 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

but looking at that cork team I think they are there for the taking.

Agreed, Waterford by 10...?

I'm just glad we can all agree that Cork are useless and Waterford are the clear favourites. ;)

WumBuster wrote: »
    I cant understand why and it really annoys me that all these so called experts seem to be unanimously making Cork clear favorites for Sundays game. If anything, with our recent chamionship record, we should be favourites. But when were we ever favourites against Cork?

This, imo, is one of the poorest Cork sides in many a long year. yes they got to within a point of Tipp but that was on their home turf with Tipp down to 14 men. They werent particularly impressive against either offaly or Wexford. They got to a league final but capitulated against the cats and most of the league games they won were by narrow margins so this notion that they will come and blow us out of the water or win handy i dont see the evidence. Yes JBM is a factor and he'll be getting the best out of them(Our record against JBM teams when he was last in charge wasnt very good) but if we play reasonably well we should beat them by 4-5 points.

In fairness, I agree that I can see no reason why Cork are runaway favourites for Sunday, but would disagree on your comments about this Cork team. They may be no patch on the great Cork team of the last decade, for which most would agree the same with this current Waterford team, but this is a new Cork team with better days ahead of them. The Denis Walsh Cork teams, I would agree that they were quite poor, but this one, much like ourselves is a coming side. In any case, as far as hurling knowledge goes, I would put bookies in the same category as the lions share of GAA journalists - lazy and clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Although I agree the odds are retarded, if bookies were as braindead as journalists then most of them would be bankrupt long long ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Who cares what the journalists think, I think its a peculiar thing to Waterford to obsess over how many journalists thought we would win.

Cork aint overwhelming favs with the bookies anyway, PP just make them -2 points in the handicap

KevIRL wrote: »
    Who cares what the journalists think, I think its a peculiar thing to Waterford to obsess over how many journalists thought we would win.

Cork aint overwhelming favs with the bookies anyway, PP just make them -2 points in the handicap

In fairness, it's about being written off summarily, that grates with any county I imagine, not just Waterford.

• Advertisement

Although I agree the odds are retarded, if bookies were as braindead as journalists then most of them would be bankrupt long long ago...

Well, if they had to survive off their GAA book, it is pretty likely we would see some starving bookies. It's funny how the same ones do not show the same ineptitude when it comes to their other books..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement