Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Come on Waterford .....

Goals win games lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Just a Plinker

Pure sick right now, Brutal brutal brutal, We have no answer to any type of pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sickener...

Your bench very very poor!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That was certainly a tough game to lose and could have went either way up till the end - or even ended in a draw.
    Delighted with the win obviously. Yere full forward going off was a bit of a blow but I thought Corks subs were the difference in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Ah well we came up short in the end JMB stiill undefeated by Waterford. I would like to thank all the players that will retire after this. Best of luck to Cork who played with brains today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

hard luck for waterford and the likes of brown and mull they deserve some sort of recognition for there careers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Servasport fixtures I think is your best chance of getting up to date tables on the website, I agree it's descended into farce when it was pretty reasonable last year.

I hope Waterford County Board are getting paid by the company that runs the website and not the other way around, because the website is a disgrace this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

anthonyos wrote: »
    hard luck for waterford and the likes of brown and mull they deserve some sort of recognition for there careers

I feel sik for tony, going off with no fanfare due to the intensity of the moment,I don't expect him back,and he deserved better.

He will understand,but he really does deserve better.

I remember a year or 2 ago,when he does annoucne his retirement,someone suggeted a soccer style testimonial ,where he play for waterford for the first half,and then for mt.sion,would love to see it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As a Cork person, I feel for the likes of Mullane and Browne. Glad to have the win, but these guys deserve something.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

My God what a disgrace to see Eoin McGrath brought on today. Is this what we're down to?Shane Casey aswell?? Stinks of Ken getting his own way. We had Jamie Barron doing waterboy on the sideline,and while i was against him starting today surely he would have been better than what came in. What was the story with Kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Im delighted with the win.It was looking bad but fair play to the lads for pulling it out of the fire they showed great character.It's great to beat a team who have been regarded as the third best team in the country.That was a big win for us and JBM mind you a huge improvement will be required the next day but we'll worry about that later and enjoy today.Fair play to Waterford they made us work hard for the win.I just hope Michael Ryan will be given time to rebuild the team.They just had nothing on the bench and that proved to be the decisive factor.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Well first off, I would just like to say congrats to Cork. They have had a great first year under new management, from a promising league, to now finding themself back in an All Ireland semi-final with their year still going.. I am sure Cork fans will have plenty of things to discuss after today, but an All Ireland semi is a great place to be asking any questions from.

For ourselves, today was an absolutely gutwrenching defeat. I think I was incredulous from our performance from start to finish, and much of the blame for todays result and performance must rest with management, in my opinion.

From the start, it was obvious poor presence around the middle of the pitch, and very loose marking from our backs, was costing us dearly, whereas as the other end of the pitch, non-existent ball into our forwards meant we were going to badly struggle on the scoreboard, with very limited ball into our dangermen.

Bringing Moran to midfield, and Mullane shifting back to wing back to play mostly around midfield for the last 15 minutes of the first half, brought us back into the game and gave us a platform to put some scores on the board. All in all, from a bad start, we ended the half with just a point in it, but all of our vulnerabilities remained unaddressed, and only further compounded in the second half with (mostly) poor and non-existant substitutions.

Shane Walsh going off in the 55th minute was a turning point, as he was really proving a thorn in Cork's side, but all in all, it was continued loose marking from our backs, and a very poor performance on the line with regard to substitutions that cost us a chance of a semi final.

Why we showed an air of contempt towards our bench, is beyond me, when we knew what strength Cork had on theirs and that fresh legs would be used strategically by them, especially with telling effect in the last 10 minutes. Shane Casey for Shane Walsh you cannot argue too much with, but words cannot express my disbelief when I saw Eoin McGrath coming on for Tommy Ryan in the second half. Why Gavin O'Brien, Martin O'Neill, and Paul O'Brien sat unused on the bench is beyond me, especially when the middle third was so tightly contested, and Maurice Shanahan stuggled with any sort of possession on the ground, as well as doing anything with the possession he did gain. Somebody like Paul O'Brien's physicality would have seen to be ideal for me, playing between wing back and midfield.

From the start of the game, it was clear we had no plan or strategy to get ball into our forwards, while Cork made hay at the other end with very loose marking ensuring softer scores for Cork than they would have expected, with free men were used time and again by Cork to telling effect. None of the intelligence of distribution to our forwards in previous games was in evidence, with both Mullane and Walsh forced to play very deeply to get any sort of ball. When we have our full forward line playing at midfield or half forward, you know we are going to struggle badly.

In all, a very disappointing game for me, and even more so, given the promise shown since turning things around since the furore earlier in the year. Very bad day out for our men on the line today, and ultimately wasted a great opportunity to make their way to a semi final once again. There is more in this Waterford side, and before today, we were on an upward swing, but today was a bad blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Sick with that, threw it away. That Eoin McGrath missed catch when we were three up and he would have been either through on goal or on for an easy point was an absolute killer. It's been a long time we lost a match by a puck of a ball, horrible.

zol 2 wrote: »
    My God what a disgrace to see Eoin McGrath brought on today. Is this what we're down to?Shane Casey aswell?? Stinks of Ken getting his own way. We had Jamie Barron doing waterboy on the sideline,and while i was against him starting today surely he would have been better than what came in. What was the story with Kelly?

Eoin McGrath did great,he was forced out of posiition and did the best he could,due to retirments,we had a dearth of a bench,and witha flip of a coin he would be man of th match with 2 goals

I guess our team is too young,we dont have the bench like we did in 2010 when we beat trhewm in the replay

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Eoin McGrath did great,he was forced out of posiition and did the best he could,due to retirments,we had a dearth of a bench,and witha flip of a coin he would be man of th match with 2 goals

I guess our team is too young,we dont have the bench like we did in 2010 when we be
    at trhewm in the replay[/QUOT

What game were you watching at all? Man Of The Match!! Stop or i will collapse with the laughing. LOVELYPOINT summed it all up in his reply- A disgrace and nothing short of it. Its ken calling the shots again as Scully has no say whatsoever he 's like a nodding dog on the back window of a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Eoin McGrath did great

what game were you watching ?

Can't keep the rebels down. Me dazza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Eoin McGrath did great

Come away out of that

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

WE are all gutted after watching a game that we were getting destroyed in to leading by three points with nine minutes to go only to loose it in the end. It proved in the end that the Cork bench had the better options to bring on to close out the game. Next year we should focus on our underage teams for success because in a small county like ours we can't keep picking senior player's from underage teams that are not successful. My biggest disappointment this year was the defeats of our Minor and under 21 teams. I'd say our ranking after today is a true reflection of where we really are. The dream is over for Tony Browne what a servant he has been for Waterford we will never see the likes of him again. We are the spectators again lets hope for a brighter future. I hate to name names but Eoin Kelly should hang his head in shame next time he meets Tony Browne. We should never forget him and remember him with pride.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I guess our team is too young,we dont have the bench like we did in 2010 when we beat trhewm in the replay

Stopped reading after that.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Stopped reading after that.

Ga mo leis Sceíl nach bhfuil fhios agam go Mbfhíonn síbh bainisteroí go leor

Cé a raibh ceart chun a chuir isteach ansin,agus cad a dhéan Sé mi-cheart?

Excuse me,I didnt know you were all managers,who would you have swopped him for,and if he scored the 2 goals,would you be still whingheing.

compared to the davy era,who never made changes when he should who could have come on,what differnce would it make?

we were bewatewn by a sqaud of 20 we had a squad of 15,what manager could have took it over the line

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/ryan-fitness-is-the-key-202181.html

see this article.Ryan goers onto say

Michael Ryan believes Waterford’s fitness is a big reason why they’re so optimistic heading into Sunday’s All-Ireland quarter-final — but that it’ll be another couple of years before the impact of trainer Pat Flanagan really kicks in.

and

While they’re taking a long-term view of things, the duo are also open to the possibility of reaching that goal in the immediate future, starting with Sunday’s clash against Cork in Thurles. "This game is a fantastic opportunity for both teams and Cork will look at it the very same way. They were quite happy, I’m sure, to draw Waterford. But we’re very happy with how training has gone; I think we’re ready."

Lads you are acting likie it is all over,the only thing is over is some stalwarts never got what they deserved ,otherwise tis all to play for

zol 2 wrote: »

I guess our team is too young,we dont have the bench like we did in 2010 when we be
    at trhewm in the replay[/QUOT

What game were you watching at all? Man Of The Match!! Stop or i will collapse with the laughing. LOVELYPOINT summed it all up in his reply- A disgrace and nothing short of it. Its ken calling the shots again as Scully has no say whatsoever he 's like a nodding dog on the back window of a car.

I said if he had scored the 2 goals,he could have been man of the match,you sir ,are fickle and would not be so negative had the result been different

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wex_lad

Very disappointing end to the year for Waterford. I realy thought we'd have the measure of Cork today. I must congratulate JBM and Cork on a deserved win in the end, no doubt about it Waterford had their chance and didn't take it but in fairness to Cork they just wanted it a small bit more. I think the most disappointing thing from a Waterford perspective was the management's performance. I thought they made some terrible decisions, decisions that ultimately cost Waterford the game. I don't blame the players, they gave it everything, but with 10 minutes to go Cork just kicked on and were the hungrier team. The management have a lot to answer for though.

Why was Eoin McGrath brought on having played no part in the previous 2 Championship matches? At 31 years of age what can he possibly offer? He can't strike the ball and ALWAYS chooses the wrong option. There's a reason he only has one Championship goal after 11 years of Intercounty hurling, he just simply isn't good enough. Unfortunately I have to say the same about Shane Casey. He too has gotten many chances in recent years and just hasn't performed. I'd say he has 10 championship appearances for Waterford at this stage, and if he was 5 points to his name I'd be very surprised.

On a sad day there were some positives however, I thought Moran was excellent again and surely he'll be an All Star finally (I thought he was very unlucky not to get an AS at midfield last year) and he will probably be Waterford captain next year. Mullane again was sensational, must be very hard for him to come back year after year and I fear today was his last hurrah in a Waterford jersey. If it is, I'm devastated that he never got to captain Waterford as he has gone on record many times to say it would be the highlight of his career. He is a Waterford legend and in the last few years he has really led by example both on and off the pitch.

Tony Browne is surely going to call it a day after the dust has settled, I expect a statement to be made over the next week or so. What a hurler and an absolute gentleman, it was a privelege to watch him hurl for the last 20+ years both for Mt Sion and Waterford. Such a shame he didn't get a proper send off today but hopefully the Sunday game might do a feature on him when he does call it a day.

On a sad day today there are still some positives to be taken from the Summer. Waterford are back hurling with some heart and although the swagger that once existed is no longer there, we will be back again I have no fear of that.

Thanks for the memories Tony Browne, we'll never see the likes of you again.

Déise Abú.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I hate to be so blunt, but Eoin McGrath cost us the game. Pity, because he had setup a point nicely before for Mullane, but he I think pretty much anybody else (even a few subs left on the bench) would have buried that one. At 5 points up, I think the momentum would have risen with us again and we would have tacked on a couple more points and won by at least 3. Also, Shane Walsh going off made a big difference because he was really getting into the game and making if difficult for Cork.

It was a desperate start and while you can blame tactics, a lot of players have to take responsibility for not getting into it. Moving Moran to midfield and bringing Mullane deep worked a treat, we commanded the game from about 20 minutes up to about 55 or 60 mins.

I think they might have taken Tony off a bit sooner, I was worried when Naughton came on that his pace would be too much and so it proved. He still had a good came, kept McCarthy quiet. A credit to himself, his club and his County.

Fairplay to Cork though, they showed real resilience and I owe Sean Og an apology for writing him off, thought he was quite impressive. We can talk about losing Shane Walsh but they lost Lehane before the game. Credit where it's due, I felt we should have one but the scoreboard rarely lies.

For us, Molumphy as ever gave it everything and has had a very good championship and I hope beyond hope he is still in the Country next year.

Moran was immense, that ball into McGrath was exquisite and he really helped drive us into the game. Becoming the player we all thought he would be.

Walshy came into it in the second half and had a huge impact until his unfortunate injury.

Mahony got a couple of good scores and Connors was impressive second half, the backline were pretty good aside from the first 20 mins or so.

It's all about one man though. Time and time again Mullane is the lad dricing everything on, scoring impossible scores, getting the crowd going and this year has been playing almost a Molumphy role at times getting on loose ball and spearheading attacks. What a man, really hope himself and Stephen O'Keeffe get all-stars, well merited. Would love to see Molumphy get one too but don't think we'll get 3.

It was a lovely gesture so see him throw the jersey into the crowd at the end as well, meant a lot to the kid that caught it. I fear that this may be his last game but please god I'm wrong on that, badly needed.

Great banter on this page all year guys, fairplay.

Up the Déise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

wex_lad wrote: »
    Very disappointing end to the year for Waterford. I realy thought we'd have the measure of Cork today. I must congratulate JBM and Cork on a deserved win in the end, no doubt about it Waterford had their chance and didn't take it but in fairness to Cork they just wanted it a small bit more. I think the most disappointing thing from a Waterford perspective was the management's performance. I thought they made some terrible decisions, decisions that ultimately cost Waterford the game. I don't blame the players, they gave it everything, but with 10 minutes to go Cork just kicked on and were the hungrier team. The management have a lot to answer for though.

Why was Eoin McGrath brought on having played no part in the previous 2 Championship matches? At 31 years of age what can he possibly offer? He can't strike the ball and ALWAYS chooses the wrong option. There's a reason he only has one Championship goal after 11 years of Intercounty hurling, he just simply isn't good enough. Unfortunately I have to say the same about Shane Casey. He too has gotten many chances in recent years and just hasn't performed. I'd say he has 10 championship appearances for Waterford at this stage, and if he was 5 points to his name I'd be very surprised.

On a sad day there were some positives however, I thought Moran was excellent again and surely he'll be an All Star finally (I thought he was very unlucky not to get an AS at midfield last year) and he will probably be Waterford captain next year. Mullane again was sensational, must be very hard for him to come back year after year and I fear today was his last hurrah in a Waterford jersey. If it is, I'm devastated that he never got to captain Waterford as he has gone on record many times to say it would be the highlight of his career. He is a Waterford legend and in the last few years he has really led by example both on and off the pitch.

Tony Browne is surely going to call it a day after the dust has settled, I expect a statement to be made over the next week or so. What a hurler and an absolute gentleman, it was a privelege to watch him hurl for the last 20+ years both for Mt Sion and Waterford. Such a shame he didn't get a proper send off today but hopefully the Sunday game might do a feature on him when he does call it a day.

On a sad day today there are still some positives to be taken from the Summer. Waterford are back hurling with some heart and although the swagger that once existed is no longer there, we will be back again I have no fear of that.

Thanks for the memories Tony Browne, we'll never see the likes of you again.

Déise Abú.

You'd be very wrong if you did.

Ga mo leis Sceíl nach bhfuil fhios agam go Mbfhíonn síbh bainisteroí go leor

Cé a raibh ceart chun a chuir isteach ansin,agus cad a dhéan Sé mi-cheart?

Tá do leithscéal gabhta a bhuachaill ;)

Níor dhein sé morán ceart :D

What would have happened if he scored 2 goals..... Really? More chance of winning the lotto.

You think he did great and if he scored 2 goals that won the match he would have gotten MOTM - he didn't and he won't, so what was your point exactly? Or do you have to quote some journo for that?

I'm sure one or two of the Waterford lads will retire after today, Browne in particular, which will be a real pity as players like him only come around once every 20 or so years for a county.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

An absolute shambles on the line today. In the past we have been quick to condemn Davy and Justin but neither of them gave as poor a management performance as we saw today.

The game changed when we went to 14 men with the introduction of Ken McGraths brother and was compounded when we brought on another player who has consistently done nothing despite being given plenty of chances.
    Had Ken McGraths brother managed the rudimentary skill of catching the ball we could still have saved the day but he didnt and its not surprising as he has been doing that sort of thing consistently for years now.

"Going forward" I wonder what the likes of Gavin O Brien, Martin O Neill Jamie Barron and a few more think of their selectors tonight as they were left sitting on their holes while the selectors brother, who is clearly not up to it, gets game time. It will do wonders for their confidence in management id say.

I am at a loss to understand the complete rubbish we witnessed from the line today, it just dosent add up. Are Michael Ryan and Sean Cullinane just yes men?

Sickened and disgusted

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

lads, why is Eoin McGrath even on the panel???????
    when was the last time he did anything half-decent for either club or county??
    waterford people have been saying for the last few years that we have nice young hurlers coming through, yet we see eoin mcgrath coming off the bench in a quarter final???

if eoin kelly isnt regarded by ml ryan and co as an impact sub when a full forward goes off injured, then he has absolutely no business on the panel either.

The waterford management team are a joke!!!

• Advertisement

carter10 wrote: »
    An absolute shambles on the line today. In the past we have been quick to condemn Davy and Justin but neither of them gave as poor a management performance as we saw today.

The game changed when we went to 14 men with the introduction of Ken McGraths brother and was compounded when we brought on another player who has consistently done nothing despite being given plenty of chances.
    Had Ken McGraths brother managed the rudimentary skill of catching the ball we could still have saved the day but he didnt and its not surprising as he has been doing that sort of thing consistently for years now.

"Going forward" I wonder what the likes of Gavin O Brien, Martin O Neill Jamie Barron and a few more think of their selectors tonight as they were left sitting on their holes while the selectors brother, who is clearly not up to it, gets game time. It will do wonders for their confidence in management id say.

I am at a loss to understand the complete rubbish we witnessed from the line today, it just dosent add up. Are Michael Ryan and Sean Cullinane just yes men?

Sickened and disgusted

While it appears to be obvious Ken is running most of the show,I dont think the managment team are poor,we have achieved as much as we ever do,with a thinner pool of players to choose from,yet the managment are to blame .

The win over Clare was inspiring ,and to think the future is still bright,hopefully,once the sour grapes are eaten,everyon else will agree.

on a sidenote,I would think being the brother of a selector would work againsty you,Ken of all people would need to assure the team he is doing things above board,he owes them that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement