Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

bruschi wrote: »
    I made similar comments on here after the Clare game. Most pundits and fans said it would be tight, and it was a 50-50 call as to who would win. But yet there was a flurry of posts on here telling the pundits to shove it up them and they know nothing after Waterford won. Yet there was only a puck of the ball in it at the end. No one wrote Waterford off. Any prediction was a hesitant vote to Clare, no one came out and said Clare would wipe them off the field.

And its much the same this week. Its 50-50 as to who will win, and I think there will only be a puck of a ball in it again. Altho I would give my hesitant vote to Waterford, but just because I would think a side may win a game, it doesnt mean I am writing off the opposing team.

Ok, let's take a scenario.

Say you have 10 tv pundits, 8 radio pundits, and 6 journalists. They give there views and all acknowledge it will be a tight game. Their verdicts, however, give it at 22-2 in favour of Cork. That's resounding.

Perhaps the word 'written off' is the wrong terminology, maybe there is word that would more suitable to describe it, but it's the frustration of hearing your team will lose when they have a very good record in recent years and really have as much chance of winning as losing in what is a really tight encounter.

That's all it is. I acknowledge that my scenario is twisted to help my argument a bit but even if it was 7-3 out of ten it would not reflect how close the game is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Ok, let's take a scenario.

Say you have 10 tv pundits, 8 radio pundits, and 6 journalists. They give there views and all acknowledge it will be a tight game. Their verdicts, however, give it at 22-2 in favour of Cork. That's resounding.

Perhaps the word 'written off' is the wrong terminology, maybe there is word that would more suitable to describe it, but it's the frustration of hearing your team will lose when they have a very good record in recent years and really have as much chance of winning as losing in what is a really tight encounter.

That's all it is. I acknowledge that my scenario is twisted to help my argument a bit but even if it was 7-3 out of ten it would not reflect how close the game is.

but I dont know why ye get so upset over it. Being written off etc. No one is dismissing Waterford at all. People are giving their opinion on what maybe a very tight game. Games arent won in studios or on newspapers. and then you have others saying things like that should be posted in dressing room walls for inspiration.

and I dont believe RTE wouldnt tip Waterford against Wexford in 08. Waterford were 1/4 heavy favorites for that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

but I dont know why ye get so upset over it. Being written off etc. No one is dismissing Waterford at all. People are giving their opinion on what maybe a very tight game. Games arent won in studios or on newspapers. and then you have others saying things like that should be posted in dressing room walls for inspiration.

and I dont believe RTE wouldnt tip Waterford against Wexford in 08. Waterford were 1/4 heavy favorites for that game.

Well, of course games are not won in studios or on newspapers, but look at it for a minute from the Waterford fans perspective. His/ her county has consistently made it to the last four in the All Ireland, has a great record in their province Munster, has pretty much only lost to the All Ireland champions, and have displayed a consistent ability to win tight games. Contrasted against that, the team is consistently tipped to lose against any other perceived top sides, as well as frequently expected to be despatched by smaller, coming teams with no recent pedigree. The team is universally regarded as an aging team, despite the fact the current average age of the team is mid twenties, and has been introducing young and promising players for the last 4/ 5 years.

So, perhaps with all the above in mind, it might enlighten fans of other counties as to the ire of many Waterford fans, when their team still continues to be treated with ignorance or a perceived contempt at a national level. I am sure real fans do know the score as to the real strengths of other teams, just as sure as I am that other counties are tarred with equally lazy brushes, but none of that changes the fact that Waterford fans feel deservedly miffed at the lazy or ignorant perception of their team nationally by many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

RTE based it solely on what happened the year before to Tipp, that was the impression I got from the article at the time. Whoever was writing for them at the time was a clown though, I found a lot of mistakes in their article purely from a Waterford point of view so I can only imagine there was misinformation given about other Counties.

There has been an over-reaction in some quarters no doubt, a lot of people across many sports like to believe that there team is defying logic when they win, makes it extra special. There is definitely a general ignorance surrounding Waterford, however, and not just because of people constantly backing the opposition but because of the manner in which they do it.

Waterford have players that are going to be gone in a few years, granted, but there's plenty coming through and players already making an impression. But for several years now, lots of Waterford players have been on the cusp of retiring apparently as we had an old team. There's been plenty of retirements like Hennessey, Murphy, Flynn, Ken, Dan, Deccie Prender, Bennett, Feeney, but to be fair there has been no dramatic decline. And I feel strongly that Waterford are a better side than last year, even if they do lose tomorrow. Now, name one media source that would acknowledge that? They may have acknowledged that they had a better Munster Final but I doubt they'd allow for that.

I'm acutely aware that all teams have good young players coming through, and that ours are no better than the likes of Clare and Galway, but it feels as if we were the uninvited guests at the party sometimes the way they go on.

Also, while they are perennial champions, it's a fact that Kilkenny have the oldest team in the Championship. How many times have you read that in a paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jakesleg

Interesting to see how the boys get on tomorrow. Will our forwards get enough ball to cause problems or will we be shut out like the Muster final. Interesting blog site for anyone interested

http://fourmileracing.wordpress.com it gave a really good analysis of the Munster final and the quarter final with Cork. It also gives good race tips, I've been following Namroc06 on twitter for a while and making a profit to boot. Come on the deise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Strong rumours from my buddies in Cork that Conor Lehane is out injured for tomorrow? Anyone else hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

zol 2 wrote: »
    Strong rumours from my buddies in Cork that Conor Lehane is out injured for tomorrow? Anyone else hear this?

Lehane is out, and he probably won't be the only one out for Cork.

jakesleg wrote: »
    Interesting to see how the boys get on tomorrow. Will our forwards get enough ball to cause problems or will we be shut out like the Muster final. Interesting blog site for anyone interested

http://fourmileracing.wordpress.com it gave a really good analysis of the Munster final and the quarter final with Cork. It also gives good race tips, I've been following Namroc06 on twitter for a while and making a profit to boot. Come on the deise

Good spot, thought his preview of the quarter final was a pretty decent piece. Doesn't seem to be a direct link, but I caught it here: http://fourmileracing.wordpress.com/gaa/

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Tis on the Cork thread as well that he is out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭seananigans

Was ata soccer match here in Germany (local team is preussen Muenster-third division) and they have a great chant I would love to see waterford do

translated ,goes as following :

Old stand,old stand,hey ,hey

Water (other side of stadium) Ford!

the call and reply effect of the whole thing ,hearing it from both side o the stadium seperately is unnerving and raises hairs,and it is something I would love to see our supporters do,as it gives a feeling of being surounded...

should point out,whoever initiates the chant,says where they are,I based it on old stand in thurles

any thoughts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Was ata soccer match here in Germany (local team is preussen Muenster-third division) and they have a great chant I would love to see waterford do

translated ,goes as following :

the call and reply effect of the whole thing ,hearing it from both side o the stadium seperately is unnerving and raises hairs,and it is something I would love to see our supporters do,as it gives a feeling of being surounded...

should point out,whoever initiates the chant,says where they are,I based it on old stand in thurles

any thoughts
    I doubt the Rebels would shout ford back at us I'M sure it would be another four letter'd F word. Only joking sounds great I bet the weather is lovely there as well.

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    I doubt the Rebels would shout ford back at us I'M sure it would be another four letter'd F word. Only joking sounds great I bet the weather is lovely there as well.

30 degrees,cant stand the heat of it
    I cant seem to find clips of it (doesnt help i speak f all german)

but you hear the first half from one side,and then the other from the other...it really is electric,and lets everyone know you are being surrounded

I doubt it would work from terrace to terrace, the point is that the chant starts in one place and ends in another,so fomr old to new stand, or form terrace to either would do grand,tellign you it is powerful

30 degrees,cant stand the heat of it
    I cant seem to find clips of it (doesnt help i speak f all german)

but you hear the first half from one side,and then the other formthe other...it really is electric,and lets everyone know you are being surrounded

Sh*t I can just hear the chant tomorrow Reb other side bells. Their listening you know. Working in the States back in the 80's I heard a great chant that caused quite a few blushes in Norfolk University it went "We don't drink or smoke Norfolk. Beat that.

Cad é an scéal with watching the game outside Ireland tomorrow (not for myself, a friend). Is there an easy way to do so over the web?

Cad é an scéal with watching the game outside Ireland tomorrow (not for myself, a friend). Is there an easy way to do so over the web?

Hi lovely Gruesen auf Deutschland ! (greetings from Germany)

tell him to visit here for a list of proxies:

http://www.proxynova.com/proxy-server-list/country-ie/?p=1281#breakfree

change over firefox using these steps (might need to try more than one,remember to change the port!):

http://technicalbliss.blogspot.de/2007/04/how-to-use-free-proxy-with-firefox.html

if it work rte player wont say international,also try aertv.ie one or the other should work

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Sh*t I can just hear the chant tomorrow Reb other side bells. Their listening you know. Working in the States back in the 80's I heard a great chant that caused quite a few blushes in Norfolk University it went "We don't drink or smoke Norfolk. Beat that.

Only clip I could find of the effect,but it is spine tingling in the flesh
    , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gspYq-6jRL4

bells? bell ends? I dont see them wokring it,Cork never had the syllables for a good chant

Cheers Sean, will get them to try some of the above an see if they do the trick :)

Cheers Sean, will get them to try some of the above an see if they do the trick :)

no hassle,thats how I will be watching it ,remember to turn it off after too

no hassle,thats how I will be watching it ,remember to turn it off after too

Thanks again. And Up the Déise! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Can't sleep and stomach doing backflips an olympic gymnast would be proud of. Roll on the game already!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Have a feeling its going to be another one of those epic cork - waterford contests. There will be nothing in it and I sense it might just be our day today.... and our year

Have a feeling its going to be another one of those epic cork - waterford contests. There will be nothing in it and I sense it might just be our day today.... and our year

Speaking of those epic Waterford contests of the last decade, links to the Laochra Gael episode devoted to the Cork-Waterford rivalry between '02 & '07:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_ias0Lojg

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELc9OGNsYMc

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tiPt1L7hjw

Enjoy :)

Eddie Brennan and Christy O'Connor in the Times this morning both tipped Cork to shade the game today. Two pretty decent article's especially Christy's peice which is always the highest quality, it up to the lads to prove otherwise and I hope they can. I don't think Eddie will win many friends down Limerick way saying that if Kilkenny want to they will beat Limerick by as much as they want to.Most people don't give Limerick much of a chance but all due respect to Kilkenny I would love to see Limerick pull a surprise here. Ah well first things first COME THE DEISE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Cake Man

'Mon the fcuking Déise!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Speaking of those epic Waterford contests of the last decade, links to the Laochra Gael episode devoted to the Cork-Waterford rivalry between '02 & '07:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3_ias0Lojg

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELc9OGNsYMc

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tiPt1L7hjw

Enjoy :)
    just watched it great ,but for the sight of seamus after defeat to limerick ,the worst thing about that day ,was after the match interview with richie bennis ,what a clown

just watched it great ,but for the sight of seamus after defeat to limerick ,the worst thing about that day ,was after the match interview with richie bennis ,what a clown

Going in to Walsh Park after that horrible defeat I'm not sure was it a club championship or the following years league here was Richie Bennis and Gary Kirby before me going through the turnstile. When I sat down in the stand here was Dan two seats up and I taught if only Bennis had sat here what would have been said.

Agreed. Not one of Bennis's greater moments, and allowed whatever inner frustration he felt in the build up to the game, to spill out. Was very poor, and am sure he probably regrets it. He's a passionate guy, and it was probably a passionate outburst, much like some of our own players reaction to Davy after the Clare win. Ah well, sure these things are easily gotten over, and would prefer to see the occasional passionate outburst that is lived to be regretted, than a cold, emotionless championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

Waterford need to start marking their men, way too loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Pity ye don't have another 2-3 mullanes on the team, come on Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Moran and mull on the way to an all star.. Come on Deise we have dis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement