Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'm sure Tipp encountered similar problems. They only had about 2,500 people turn up for what was their third win in the qualifiers on Sunday.

Heard someone say that if the game was in Ardfinnan or Clonmel that there would be a bigger attendance. Someone on the radio said that this is nonsense as there was only about 30 miles between Ardfinnan and Thurles. The person that make the call about the venue could be right. All we have to do is to look at what happens in this county. If a football game in Fraher Field you could have maybe up to 500 in the stand. If the game was in Walsh Park, there could be maybe 50 people in the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Black Suir wrote: »
    Heard someone say that if the game was in Ardfinnan or Clonmel that there would be a bigger attendance. Someone on the radio said that this is nonsense as there was only about 30 miles between Ardfinnan and Thurles. The person that make the call about the venue could be right. All we have to do is to look at what happens in this county. If a football game in Fraher Field you could have maybe up to 500 in the stand. If the game was in Walsh Park, there could be maybe 50 people in the stand.

Also because Walsh Park rarely gets a game people could bare to watch. I remember an absolutely packed house when we played Armagh in the qualifiers in Walsh Park a few years back.

Also because Walsh Park rarely gets a game people could bare to watch. I remember an absolutely packed house when we played Armagh in the qualifiers in Walsh Park a few years back.

There is always an exception, just as there is when games are in Dungarvan. For Example when Waterford played Kilkenny on a Saturday night under lights in February, less than 50 people paid to go an see the game. Armagh were a big name at the time. They had lots of players that won an All-Ireland a year or two earlier. I am sure if Dublin or Kerry were to play Waterford in Walsh Park this weekend, that a few thousand would turn up as well, not to see Waterford maybe, but to see the big names on the visiting side.

Did anyone hear Tom Cunningham on WLR now saying that the County Board has put a lot of money into football in the county in the last few years. A question to Tom, how much of this money was put in because it had to as the senior players are members of the GPA and have to get mile-age, have to be fed after training and matches, and also because of the expense of having to go to places like Cavan, Leitrim and London. Tom should be telling us maybe apart from Senior, how much money goes into Football in Waterford. I heard John Kiely saying earlier this year that there was only a few hundred put into the minors. It would also be interesting to see what it costs to run the Juniors and Under 21s. I saw the County Boards financial sheet a year or two back and I cant remember was it the juniors or under 21 that there was something like €300 spent on the team. If that is a lot of money, well then you have to ask, does Tom think we are back in the 60's when €300 or its equvilant in pounds was a lot of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Right well, I'd say he was right not to play him in that case. The situation with Fives was a bit different in that the Senior game was a Munster Final. Now of course the u21 is do or dies so it's still very important, but given it's a drop in standard they might have felt throwing him in at the deep end was a bit more manageable.

That said they were wrong and ultimately Fives pays the price.

If you're trying to tell me Dee is better than Darragh Fives however I'm having none of it.

Mahony played in the Senior Final four days rpeviously, and played pretty well. He must have been jaded, I don't think it's really fair to make that judgement against him, he's a huge talent.

As for Hartley, he has failed with the u21s. I wouldn't write him off from becoming a good manager in the future. He needs a stint with a club.

I'm still not convinced Meaney would have wanted it, and it's not like he might not get the opportunity next year (another team he managed at Minor level) if he does want it.

Id agree about Hartley. People have been very quick to point the finger at him but from what has come out after it appears his hands have been very much tied and all in all waterford didnt have a whole pile of work done due to no fault of his. He is and always has been a good hurling man.

But I do agree that the team was picked on reputation rather than suitability. I said it here before that game when I saw the team that we lacked any kind of physical power in the forwards and I was worried. The 6 forwards that started are all very skillful players individually but if you need a seamus prendergast or a bonner maher type player on any team no matter what grade or level. Clare seemed to be able to win dirty ball aswell as pick off super scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

The under 21 grade is a joke really it was always considered a stepping stone to senior hurling but these days with so many players goin straight outta minor into senior much more of a young mans game these days, it's hard to take it seriously it's a balls of a competition IMHO IT's the senior results that matter.. Hartley is a good man tons of knowledge an experienced in both the highs an lows.. I certainly wouldn't blame him he needs to cut his teeth somewhere an where better than u-21 he'l have learned from this. The one criticism i'd have is he's prob too nice he didn't discipline the players for drinking night before training an challenges on Sunday mornings when it was clear to see.. I think he'l be a good coach in the coming years sometimes we can be too fast to knock our own on these boards..

In my best ballybricken accent
    UP WATERFORD....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deise 100

Bob Keane Memorial Hurling Tournament:

The inaugural Bob Keane Memorial Hurling Tournamentwill be held in Kirwan Park (Touraneena) on Sunday 5th August.

At 2pm, Naomh Brid will take on Ballygiblin (Co.Cork) in a juvenile hurling match where the winning team will be presented with the Bob Keane Memorial Shield. The winning team will also receive a coaching session by 2010 Young Hurler of the Year and Tipperary All-star, Brendan Maher. Brendan will attend the home venue of the winning team where he will provide a coaching session for their young stars of the future.

The referee for the game will be Gavin Whelan from the Colligan club.

At 3pm, the host club St.Mary’s will take on Mount Sion in a Junior Hurling match where the winning team will be presented with the Bob Keane Memorial Cup. The winning team will also receive a €500 GAA hamper (sliothars, footballs, cones, bibs, etc) which they will have to give to their respective juvenile club. A man of the match award will be selected on the day by former Waterford hurler and selector, Declan Fitzpatrick.

Seamus Tynan from the Coolderry club in Co. Offaly will take charge of this game.

Admission to the event is free, everyone attending will receive a ticket when entering for a free spot prize draw. There will be refreshments for all while all the kids will receive free sweets and ice-cream cones.... All are welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

It seems now that Philip Mahony is very doubtful for Sunday. Wasnt even togged off at training tonight. Big loss hes be oneof our best players imo

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

It seems now that Philip Mahony is very doubtful for Sunday. Wasnt even togged off at training tonight. Big loss hes be oneof our best players imo

Calf strain. Resting as much as possible. No need to chance aggravatin it on a Tuesday before a big match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

I wouldn't fear this current Waterford team either who are a pale shadow of previous Waterford teams.I fancy Brian Murphy to contain Mullane.We also need to watch Shane Walsh and stop Seamus Prendergast from winning ball.With Molumphy Brick and Moran nullified Corks greater hurling skill will do the rest.Watch out lads were primed for this.:)

To be fair it's a 50/50 game so both sides are entitled to fancy their chances but what is Murphy containing Mullane based on? Who has ever contained Mullane? It basically can't be done. If you just accept that Mullane will get his few scores and concentrate on stopping the other less talented forward then you will be on the right path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

True, I was looking at it purely from the point of view the next game. Would agree with you, though I'd be loath to get ahead of myself. Let everyone be under know illusions, Sunday will be hugely tough and if we do get over that, Galway will provide an equally stern test.
    i would agree with Mountainlad,its like saying we have a great record against Kilkenny in All Ireland finals [won 2 lost 1]it dose not matter now,we will be trying to beat a team who have 50 Munsters 30 all Ireland's etc, If we came in to this game on the back of results that Cork have we would be very confident ,it would be like, jaysus we should have beaten Tipp and sure we made really light work of the other 2 in the qualifiers,every day is different ,here's hoping we can beat them on the day ,we should have extra support in the line of kk and limerick supporters ,i think most other hurling counties would like 2 see as many big guns go out as they can at this stage, ROLL ON SUNDAY ,UP THE DEISE ,Now must not forget to pack ,Kevin Moran check ,Molumphy check,

redlead wrote: »
    To be fair it's a 50/50 game so both sides are entitled to fancy their chances but what is Murphy containing Mullane based on? Who has ever contained Mullane? It basically can't be done. If you just accept that Mullane will get his few scores and concentrate on stopping the other less talented forward then you will be on the right path.

Ah come on, it's happened plenty of times at club and county level. If and when he is held we invariably lose. Looks to have developed an extra dimension to his game this year though, an ability to win dirty ball out the field - this might make him less vulnerable to being marked out of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The under 21 grade is a joke really it was always considered a stepping stone to senior hurling but these days with so many players goin straight outta minor into senior much more of a young mans game these days, it's hard to take it seriously it's a balls of a competition IMHO IT's the senior results that matter

All very easy to say when your county is enjoying no success at the grade, u-21 is far from a joke, and IMO is actually the purest form of hurling when played right, no over emphasis on tactics etc. some of the best games of the last 20 years have been at under 21 level.

Mullane is an exceptional talent, but he has been held plaenty of times and Brian Murphy is more than capable of it, especailly considering the doubts surrounding Mullanes support up front, that said it is just as likely that Mullane could take Murphy to the cleaners, but to sufggest he cant be held or never has been is well wide of the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

I don't think any player ever hasn't been "held" a few times. Mullane however has really matured in the last few years into a really reliable guy that will usually tap over 2-3 points per game not mention win a handful of scoreable frees.

Given that he's never been a free taker his career scores total is phenomenal.

I think Mullane will probably be among the all time highest scorers from play in the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

I think Mullane will probably be among the all time highest scorers from play in the game?

http://www.hurlingstats.com/blog/

Some good stats here. He's apparently the most efficent scorer in the game, has the most points from play since 2004 and best average points per game since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I don't think but I hope he is on the winning side next Sunday.:(

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    I don't think but I hope he is on the winning side next Sunday.:(

I'd be surprised if he wasn't up there. Since 2004 he is clearly ahead of the rest, and in this period we've had more games played than ever before, probably with higher scoring averages per game also.

Mullane is held in club games a good bit but in intercounty championship matches when he is really up for it, he always gets at least 3 or 4 points and usually wins two or three scoreable frees too. I can't remember the last time he didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

but what is Murphy containing Mullane based on?

...do you mean other then all of those examples of him holding Mullane in the past? Murphy has gotten the better of Mullane on multiple occasions.

But I agree, Murphy isn't the player he was and Mullane is in great form. Apparently this is Murphy's last year, as he feels his age is bringing his game down too much.

Orizio wrote: »
    ...do you mean other then all of those examples of him holding Mullane in the past? Murphy has gotten the better of Mullane on multiple occasions.

But I agree, Murphy isn't the player he was and Mullane is in great form. Apparently this is Murphy's last year, as he feels his age is bringing his game down too much.

He was held scoreless in 2005, so fair play to Murphy for that. That's a long time ago now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Possible team for Sunday?

Also who will be taking the frees?

Froim what I saw in Cork Maurice lost all confidence on the frees. Don't think a Quarter final will be any easier than a Munster.

I reckon if kelly is starting they should put him on the frees, i know he missed a 65 the last day but whne hes on form he can knock them over form all angles.

Didn't think P mahony was very consistent this year in league with his free taking as apposed to last year.
    What are peoples thoughts on gavin o brien starting?
    Will he get any change out of Shane o Neil or possibly Conor O Sullivan

Mullane is held in club games a good bit but in intercounty championship matches when he is really up for it, he always gets at least 3 or 4 points and usually wins two or three scoreable frees too. I can't remember the last time he didn't.

Last years Munster Final, Paddy Stapelton. As Orizio says Murphy has in the past aswell.

HillFarmer wrote: »

I reckon if kelly is starting they should put him on the frees, i know he missed a 65 the last day but whne hes on form he can knock them over form all angles Cork will win.

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Last years Munster Final, Paddy Stapelton. As Orizio says Murphy has in the past aswell.

We all so conceded 7 goals that day, and Eoin McGrath marked Paudie Maher. Lot of strange things happened that day...

I don't think Murphy's record would be as good if we'd played Cork more often since 2007. Plus, Mullane ran riot in the Munster semi final that year. He picked up a virus before the All-Irleand quarter replay, and he still scored 2 points, same as the first day.

I think we have a better forward line than last year and while they're still not expcetional, I don't think Cork's half back line is great and that will put their full backline under a lot of pressure.

He was held scoreless in 2005, so fair play to Murphy for that. That's a long time ago now though.

'Being held' doesn't mean keeping him scoreless. Its nigh on impossible to hold a corner-forward scoreless if he is given quality ball in space. Murphy typically does as good as possible on Mullane as anyone else can, which is all you can ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Possible team for Sunday?

Also who will be taking the frees?

Froim what I saw in Cork Maurice lost all confidence on the frees. Don't think a Quarter final will be any easier than a Munster.

I reckon if kelly is starting they should put him on the frees, i know he missed a 65 the last day but whne hes on form he can knock them over form all angles.

Didn't think P mahony was very consistent this year in league with his free taking as apposed to last year.
    What are peoples thoughts on gavin o brien starting?
    Will he get any change out of Shane o Neil or possibly Conor O Sullivan

He was struggling with the groein injury during the league, I'd definetly have him on them, wouldn't even think twice about it.

I think we have a better forward line than last year and while they're still not expcetional, I don't think Cork's half back line is great and that will put their full backline under a lot of pressure.

Cork have serious problems at the back alright, especially CB and FB, Mullane will cause any team problems, Prendergast will win he's share of ball against any CB but isn't prolific enough, so the real key for me is Shane Walsh, if he plays as he can, Waterford will win IMO.

• Advertisement

Its rare I'd agree with PS but I'd have to say Walsh has to have a big game, particularly as he will be marking Cork's least experienced player, Cahalane. Well I'd imagine he'll be marking him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement