Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Studied 4 poets and none of the four came up ... crushing :(
    Maths tomorrow and that should be my best but english has just severely crushed me :(

Aw are you serious? :( You're not the only one who hated the poetry anyway, loads of people had no poet to write on! Did you try to write a bit on one of the poets or did you just leave it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Slow Show wrote: »
    Stupid work scheduling me for times I cannot work. I told them I can't work this Friday or next Friday before six o'clock. Apparently I am working at five o'clock this Friday and next Friday. That's just not going to happen.

Also Rich came up on English Paper 2. Really wanted her for next year..:( I know she could be up two years in a row but that happened in 2010 and 2011 as far as I know so she's probably not worth my time now. Although wow, some amount of people were banking on Plath today. No idea why, there really was nothing to suggest that she was any likelier to appear than anyone else, but golly, I walked into an exam centre five minutes in (I am an attendant, not an exam centre invader) and so many people were holding their heads in their hands and just looking distressed in general, and much 'Where the f*ck was Plath?' was heard around school afterwards. LC poetry is so blown out of proportion, isn't it like 10%? And it's all anyone talked about today. Also
    people who were like 'omfg I only studied Plath, f*ck you SEC!!!' are so silly, I'm afraid to say that on the LC forum though in case I get stoned.
    Ah English Paper 2...a great deal more exciting than the lottery.
    As a fifth-year it's pretty easy to reasssure yourself that you won't fall into the same traps all the leaving certs before you have tbh, but it happens and that's coming from someone who was compltely unaffected by the Pleaney thing (for that is what we are now calling it). Poetry might only be worth 10% but it takes so much preparation it does start to take on disproportionate importance. So yeah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

flyswatter wrote: »
    That's rough luck.

Did you know anything about those that did come up?
    We did only did Rich out of the 4 that did come up. I wrote 4 pages but barely any quotes :(
    Togepi wrote: »
    Aw are you serious? :( You're not the only one who hated the poetry anyway, loads of people had no poet to write on! Did you try to write a bit on one of the poets or did you just leave it?

Yeah and the thing that's killing me is it was a choice of studying Heaney or Rich and I chose Heaney :(
    Yeah wrote 4 pages on Rich :( I don't think I did well though like barely any quotes. :( hamlets my best section and the questions were hard. I was never good at comparative and the unseen poetry I answered pretty well though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Also people who were like 'omfg I only studied Plath, f*ck you SEC!!!' are so silly, I'm afraid to say that on the LC forum though in case I get stoned.

/Links to LC forum to fuel the fire...:pac:

Ya, I'm not really sure where the Plath/Heaney certainty came from, but I do feel sorry for those who were given predictions by their teachers and were caught out.

I only did 1 poet for the Leaving (<3 Michael Longley) so I can't be hypocritical and say they should have been prepared for any situation!

Yeah and the thing that's killing me is it was a choice of studying Heaney or Rich and I chose Heaney :(
    Yeah wrote 4 pages on Rich :( I don't think I did well though like barely any quotes. :( hamlets my best section and the questions were hard. I was never good at comparative and the unseen poetry I answered pretty well though :)

You'll be grand, you'll get loads of marks for four pages on Rich, she was my favourite and I only did four and a half! :) And any number of quotes is good, they don't want loads. Don't be down about it, if you'd asked anyone in the country which one to study they would've said Heaney. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

Togepi wrote: »
    You'll be grand, you'll get loads of marks for four pages on Rich, she was my favourite and I only did four and a half! :) And any number of quotes is good, they don't want loads. Don't be down about it, if you'd asked anyone in the country which one to study they would've said Heaney. :P

Hopefully thanks dear :) Its just horrible, I feel like i've got 50 marks gone already even though I know I'll get something for what I wrote :( Although if maths goes well tomorrow I won't really care :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Namlub wrote: »
    As a fifth-year it's pretty easy to reasssure yourself that you won't fall into the same traps all the leaving certs before you have tbh, but it happens and that's coming from someone who was compltely unaffected by the Pleaney thing (for that is what we are now calling it). Poetry might only be worth 10% but it takes so much preparation it does start to take on disproportionate importance. So yeah...

Meh I'm just saying that people who only studied Plath and/or Heaney and are complaining about the SEC and other powers that be have no one to blame only themselves. My Facebook news feed is full of this kinda thing. I mean I get it, I like all of two poets on the course and one of them is Rich, but I'm still gonna have to somehow make myself force appreciation for the likes of Derek Mahon and his poems about his various day trips to Donegal. Actually now that I think of it, possibly the two dreariest poets in the history of English, Hopkins and Wordsworth, are statistically likely to appear next year...lawd.

Yes well that disproportionate importance was kind of what I was referring to... :p I do find it a bit silly, but it's there and always will be. Also lol, my first paragraph and then going on about how poetry is blown out of proportion and that there should be less focus on it blah blah blah are so contradictory. I CANNOT DEBATE. Not even sure why I'm posting this.

We did only did Rich out of the 4 that did come up. I wrote 4 pages but barely any quotes :(

Don't let this affect your maths paper tomorrow and the rest of your exams. Poetry only makes up a small part of the paper, you will get marks for whatever you wrote, and not quoting will not set you back as much as you think. I scraped a 3 page answer on some random poet when I got caught out in my LC, with no quotes and mixing up the names of the poems, and while it got me the lowest marks of the whole paper, the rest of it still managed to get an A overall. Don't stress out about 1 small part of the paper, the rest of it was probably fine :)

Hopefully thanks dear :) Its just horrible, I feel like i've got 50 marks gone already even though I know I'll get something for what I wrote :( Although if maths goes well tomorrow I won't really care :D

I'd say your worst case scenario for it is like 35 out of 50. :P At least it's one of lowest marked questions on the paper too, the only thing less than it is the unseen poetry. :)

Maths WILL go well tomorrow. Optimism!! :D And speaking of Maths, I'm off to go revise for it, we're not all Maths brainiacs y'know! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Meh I'm just saying that people who only studied Plath and/or Heaney and are complaining about the SEC and other powers that be have no one to blame only themselves. My Facebook news feed is full of this kinda thing. I mean I get it, I like all of two poets on the course and one of them is Rich, but I'm still gonna have to somehow make myself force appreciation for the likes of Derek Mahon and his poems about his various day trips to Donegal. Actually now that I think of it, possibly the two dreariest poets in the history of English, Hopkins and Wordsworth, are statistically likely to appear next year...lawd.
    Ah yeah, Plath is less popular than Hitler among my fb friends right now as if she was personally responsible for this. I still love you Sylvia <3 And whut, I love Wordsworth!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ah yeah, Plath is less popular than Hitler among my fb friends right now as if she was personally responsible for this. I still love you Sylvia <3 And whut, I love Wordsworth!

I've only done Plath, Rich and Mahon, I'm only going on hearsay. I remember doing a Wordsy poem in 1st Year for no apparent reason and losing the will to live and my present teacher said he was dire, but maybe there's hope for me and him yet. :p Not even going to entertain the possibility of Hopkins being decent though, his poems have names like 'God's Grandeur' and 'Thou art indeed just, Lord, if I contend'. Oh but wait, he also has a poem called 'I wake and feel the fell of dark, not day'. That sounds wonderfully depressing!
    Perhaps I've been too judgemental and should actually read poems, I dunno...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Ah yeah, Plath is less popular than Hitler among my fb friends right now as if she was personally responsible for this.
    People were giving out on Boland's facebook page back in my day, I don't my year really understood who set the paper...

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

I've only done Plath, Rich and Mahon, I'm only going on hearsay. I remember doing a Wordsy poem in 1st Year for no apparent reason and losing the will to live and my present teacher said he was dire, but maybe there's hope for me and him yet. :p Not even going to entertain the possibility of Hopkins being decent though, his poems have names like 'God's Grandeur' and 'Thou art indeed just, Lord, if I contend'. Oh but wait, he also has a poem called 'I wake and feel the fell of dark, not day'. That sounds wonderfully depressing!
    Perhaps I've been too judgemental and should actually read poems, I dunno...

We didn't do Hopkins in school but I got a scholarship to the Hopkins Literary Festival youth programme last year, and it involved actually basically no Hopkins poetry, because according to the coordinator of the Hopkins Festival, Hopkins "wouldn't really interest or suit our age group. He's more of a college poet". And yet he's on the course. :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

You don't have to force appreciation of a poet. Usually, questions are worded so that you can either agree or disagree with them. So if a question came up saying "Derek Mahon's style is epic lols. Discuss yo'." you'd get as many marks for arguing that his subject matter is out of touch, disinteresting to today's youth, etc than you would for arguing the opposite. People don't realise that if you can back up your argument they have to give you marks, even if it's against the popular view.

/tangent

Argh: I can't remember the last time I've actually had an intelligent conversation with a real person. I think I'm going insane.

Muse just announced a European tour...but no Ireland :(:(:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I just hope all this means Plath for next year <.< Or Rich again, that'd be swell.
    Just no Bishop, no.. No.....

Argghhh you say? Today has plummeted, quite badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Pah, every year some whippersnapper's belly-aching about some poet not coming up, how about learning the night before that THE PAPER ISN'T COMING UP AND YOU HAVE TO DO IT ON A SATURDAY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAlTOfl9F2w

although it actually helped me because I was woefully underprepared for English and bagged an A1 in the end, even though my paper 1 contained words such as "upsidedownchocolatehottub" and a joke about Jade Goody (yeah, I'm that old.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

deise_girl wrote: »
    I just hope all this means Plath for next year <.< Or Rich again, that'd be swell.
    Just no Bishop, no.. No.....

Argghhh you say? Today has plummeted, quite badly.

She saved my ass <3 I did the LC the year english was leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Also Rich came up on English Paper 2. Really wanted her for next year..:( I know she could be up two years in a row but that happened in 2010 and 2011 as far as I know so she's probably not worth my time now. Although wow, some amount of people were banking on Plath today. No idea why, there really was nothing to suggest that she was any likelier to appear than anyone else, but golly, I walked into an exam centre five minutes in (I am an attendant, not an exam centre invader) and so many people were holding their heads in their hands and just looking distressed in general, and much 'Where the f*ck was Plath?' was heard around school afterwards. LC poetry is so blown out of proportion, isn't it like 10%? And it's all anyone talked about today. Also people who were like 'omfg I only studied Plath, f*ck you SEC!!!' are so silly, I'm afraid to say that on the LC forum though in case I get stoned.

Ah English Paper 2...a great deal more exciting than the lottery.

Indeed. My poets (Wordsy and Hopkins..) didnt come up and I wrote aloada shiiiiiite about the "The Lake Isle Of Innisfree" for Yeats (from what I could remember in the JC) and I still came out with a B2. Laughin'.

My poor little doggy is having an operation today to remove a testicular tumour :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Indeed. My poets (Wordsy and Hopkins..) didnt come up and I wrote aloada shiiiiiite about the "The Lake Isle Of Innisfree" for Yeats (from what I could remember in the JC) and I still came out with a B2. Laughin'.

Jaysus, by reading all the poetry coverage over the years, I'm convinced that me and my sister are the only people who got the poet we wanted. :P

(Both wanted Kavanagh, both got Kavanagh, both A1's. {jus' sayin'})

Argh, my lack of commitment is frightening. I had intended doing at least one blog post a day about E3, yet I still haven't written anything about anything other than Monday's events. :(

Also, everyone seems to be passing their exams. Is it I wrong that I want at least one other person to fail so I don't feel like such a retard? Probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Also, everyone seems to be passing their exams. Is it I wrong that I want at least one other person to fail so I don't feel like such a retard? Probably...
    I'll probably be back here this time next week with a couple of fails if that makes you feel any better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Jaysus, by reading all the poetry coverage over the years, I'm convinced that me and my sister are the only people who got the poet we wanted. :P

Argh, my lack of commitment is frightening. I had intended doing at least one blog post a day about E3, yet I still haven't written anything about anything other than Monday's events. :(

I defo have repeats too. Sociology and Philosophy. So dont feel too bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Lawliet wrote: »
    I'll probably be back here this time next week with a couple of fails if that makes you feel any better
    I defo have repeats too. Sociology and Philosophy. So dont feel too bad :pac:

Failures! Unite! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

My poor little doggy is having an operation today to remove a testicular tumour :(

That sounds ruff.

The best of health to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

flyswatter wrote: »
    That sounds ruff.

The best of health to him!

I see what you did there...

My head hurts. :(

*And it's not solely because of the facepalm I did upon reading flyswatter's post...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I do love a pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Muse just announced a European tour...but no Ireland :(:(:(
    Awww, sickened :( I say em in 2009 on The Resistance Tour and they were class!

I most definitely will be failing some. And even if I somehow manage to pass by some miracle, I still have to do one I skipped in August anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement