Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Speaking of Zelda... check out these real world boomerang physics:

3183_slide.gif?v=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

[uote=Sparks43;75283480]
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I can't see myself doing it since I hacked it with emulators :)

On another note I picked up the 10 euro soldering iron from aldi. Time to ruin some consoles.

Is that offer still going?[/Quote]
    it is , but its been in a week or so now so threes probably not many left...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Another winner from Teefury, wish I had the fundage...
    1314720101_BOTTOM__082521h53m48.jpg

Hipster Kong:

UowD8.jpg

• Advertisement

The computer museum bit we did on the scibernia.ie podcast recently was also in the Irish Times today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/1104/1224307034948.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

beale2.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Enlighten me, other than a nice way to eat a bag of chips what's that about? :)

Ian Beale eating a sack of chips off a floaty. That is all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »

Ian Beale :confused:

Is that your real name Pyongy :D

• Advertisement

Lol that's about as random as it gets around here. :pac:

Steve SI wrote: »
    Is that your real name Pyongy :D

No. It's Bob Geldof. But you can call me Loretta. :)

No. It's Bob Geldof. But you can call me Loretta. :)

I prefer Pyongy actually ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

latest 3ds firmware update finally sorts out compatibility issues:pac:

ddsnes.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Wow thats really amaz.....

Now wait a minute, I can see something dodgy there!

That's not a Snes-a-drive is it?

Or the Mega-box-Station???

And the 3DS doesn't have compatibility issues.

Not enough games to play to have issues of compatibility about!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone see the two page article in Edge (at least I think it was Edge?) about Wily Wars and it rarity?

Fingers crossed it drives up the value!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got myself a new laptop. Samsung RF511 on clearance for €769. Just needed something to browse the net with really, I'm not into pc gaming (or graphics whorin'! :D)..but when I saw this had a blueray drive I thought I might as well pay a few more euro as I don't have one yet.

As you do, you want to test it out just to see what it can do. Hooked up a 32 inch tv via HDMI and Started off with HL and HL 2.Thought HL2 maxed out would probably be its limit. Didn't even break a sweat. My eyebrow raised.

So I gave Wii emulation a go with a wiimote hooked up via bluetooth. Again, no sweat broken...(and I am absolutely amazed at how good Wii emulation is!)

So I thought to myself 'feck this, I'll go the whole hog and try it out with Crysis 2'.

Game auto detected graphical settings and put it on hardcore. 'WTF?' Runs perfect!

So it appears I just accidentally threw myself back into the world of PC gaming after about 10 years away.

Anyone else know something decent to test this computer out? Did someone say new Cave PCBs are now emulated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Saw DodonPachi Ressurection today in Game, had no money so I stashed it behind some games that I knew no one would ever look at.
    Went back later this evening and the shop was closed early:( so no shmuppy goodness for me tonight:(

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got myself a new laptop. Samsung RF511 on clearance for €769. Just needed something to browse the net with really, I'm not into pc gaming (or graphics whorin'! :D)..but when I saw this had a blueray drive I thought I might as well pay a few more euro as I don't have one yet.

As you do, you want to test it out just to see what it can do. Hooked up a 32 inch tv via HDMI and Started off with HL and HL 2.Thought HL2 maxed out would probably be its limit. Didn't even break a sweat. My eyebrow raised.

So I gave Wii emulation a go with a wiimote hooked up via bluetooth. Again, no sweat broken...(and I am absolutely amazed at how good Wii emulation is!)

So I thought to myself 'feck this, I'll go the whole hog and try it out with Crysis 2'.

Game auto detected graphical settings and put it on hardcore. 'WTF?' Runs perfect!

So it appears I just accidentally threw myself back into the world of PC gaming after about 10 years away.

Anyone else know something decent to test this computer out? Did someone say new Cave PCBs are now emulated?

Well if you want to stress test it with a game try Metro 2033 on full settings.

That game is a hog.

Or you could run Prime95 or Super PI to see how the proc holds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Thats fantastic mate - I love a bit of PC gaming, but like you before, I haven't indulged in quite some time. Its a fiddley business upgrading a machine, not to mention expensive. Its really nice though when you do get a new rig and you can play all the great games that have come out. I love PC gaming but I cannot afford a new rig right now.

In the past I would get really into PC stuff towards the end of a console generation when the contemporary PC platform is far more powerful than the consoles. We are at that stage now once again. PC game genres might be narrow in scope, but the format makes up for its small selection of gaming types by mastering the ones it has on there.

• Advertisement

I was at a boring party the other night... everyone was going on about rugby, but I got talking to one girl who was cool... she then led me to her bedroom where this happened:

bzrdR.jpg

Wonderboy on the C64... oh yeah!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's cool, but the real question is:

Did you get a game over, or did you earn an extend?

Absolutely loved Wonderboy on the C64. Although if some girl led me to her bedroom I'd be mighty disappointed if that's all she showed me! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Oh thats what happened!

I thought they watched the simpsons, used the variety of creams on display...& whatever the hell that object is in the background :o Thats a real lying on a bed camera angle too dinoboy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Anyone see the two page article in Edge (at least I think it was Edge?) about Wily Wars and it rarity?

Fingers crossed it drives up the value!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Thats a real lying on a bed camera angle too dinoboy ;)

It's possible he awoke the next day as dinoman. :pac:

No. Then I played Flashback on the SNES... it's a horrible conversion... so sluggish.

If you weren't going to get a result you should have gone home and played Super Tennis. Get that bat in your hand and give those balls a good walloping. :pac:

Whats a good price for decent condition Game Boy Advance SP?

Not sure what hardware revision.

Anyway I paid 30 euro for 2 of them (plus 5 forgettable games)so I don't think I overpaid on this one.

Thoughts?

Also, what's the story with the different versions(better backlight I think was one difference)?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

One is front lit, one is back lit. The former is much more common. The - supposed - result with the back lit 101 is a brighter, sharper image.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement