Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

had monster party in our house last night, place filthy, garden full of cigarette butts, kitchen table actually destroyed, hours cleaning and car boot full of bottles because every bottle bank near me is full to overflowing and worse, I'm too hungover to play games, not a fantastic day really.

on a lighter note I've a friend who is allergic to Ketchup because its made with vinegar, violently allergic. One sniff and he's off getting sick, we discovered to our glee one day that Salt and vinegar crisps also set him off, cue "hilarious" games and pranks in the pub :D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Heinz Organic Tomato Ketchup is pure bliss with chips, its thicker and richer than the regular stuff.

Also, and more importantly, how the hell did the release of Crysis, on consoles, slip by?
    I was perusing the xbla menus, as you do, and spotted it for download at 20 blips! I don't know yet if its worth the minor sum, the sequel was cracking but I'm not sure the console version of the original is up to scratch compared to the still marvellous PC original.
    Anyone have more info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Heinz Organic Tomato Ketchup is pure bliss with chips, its thicker and richer than the regular stuff.

Also, and more importantly, how the hell did the release of Crysis, on consoles, slip by?
    I was perusing the xbla menus, as you do, and spotted it for download at 20 blips! I don't know yet if its worth the minor sum, the sequel was cracking but I'm not sure the console version of the original is up to scratch compared to the still marvellous PC original.
    Anyone have more info?

It looks as good as the current consoles are gonna get it. It's well done, & very playable (I do like the game but most don't however). Not sure if €20 is worth it though, seems kinda steep.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Knackered, up till 3 playing Dark Souls, my pathetic technique worked against the Black Knight though, I ran away, slammed a door shut in his face, then sniped him with arrows, fire bombs and throwing knives, all from a terrified position on a bridge.
    Frak me but this game is hard!
    I think I picked the wrong starting character in the Knight, should've gone with the Pyromancer! At least then I'd have had a powerful ranged weapon...
    Bugger!

Maybe I should start again??
    Any advice there???

Oh, and that fecker at the bottom of the tower, after the Knight, one hit kill!!?? WTF??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Knackered, up till 3 playing Dark Souls, my pathetic technique worked against the Black Knight though, I ran away, slammed a door shut in his face, then sniped him with arrows, fire bombs and throwing knives, all from a terrified position on a bridge.
    Frak me but this game is hard!
    I think I picked the wrong starting character in the Knight, should've gone with the Pyromancer! At least then I'd have had a powerful ranged weapon...
    Bugger!

Maybe I should start again??
    Any advice there???

Oh, and that fecker at the bottom of the tower, after the Knight, one hit kill!!?? WTF??

Oh hai, I'm a Pyromancer!

I don't regret that choice, despite becoming more of a standard sorcery character as the game progressed (<3 Homing Crystal Soulmass). Your starting fire ball spell will indeed be extremely handy for the first few boss battles. I'm trying to figure out where you are: Undead Parish or later? Have you fought the iron boar yet? TBH, if you're only a few hours in now would be the time to restart if you want to. You do pick up pyromancy flames and catalysts (aka your magic enablers) relatively early on, though, if you want to persevere. The first five-six hours are the worst by a distance!

Only two bosses away from completion now, hopefully will finish it this afternoon. Fifty of the finest gaming hours I've ever experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stop talking about it :'(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It'll be retro by the time you play it at this rate ;)

Water / Shelter > Dark Souls > Food > Petrol, in priority terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anyone going to Japan soon want to get me this t-shirt??
    03.jpg

I'll give you cookies.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Can anyone tell me what "Grandia" is like in terms of playstation 1 rareness?
    It is rare, rare-ish or common as muck?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can anyone tell me what "Grandia" is like in terms of playstation 1 rareness?
    It is rare, rare-ish or common as muck?

It's rare in the same way that FFVII is rare. There's plenty of US copies and even more EU copies where it did well enough to get a budget Ubisoft rerelease. It goes for high-ish prices because it's a spectacularly good game and RPG fanatics want it. Still you should be able to get it for 15-25 if you wait a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's rare in the same way that FFVII is rare. There's plenty of US copies and even more EU copies where it did well enough to get a budget Ubisoft rerelease. It goes for high-ish prices because it's a spectacularly good game and RPG fanatics want it. Still you should be able to get it for 15-25 if you wait a bit.

Nice, I got it for €1 today in a charity shop :)
    I'll throw up a picture in the "everything something new" thread later with the rest of my haul.

Oh hai, I'm a Pyromancer!

I don't regret that choice, despite becoming more of a standard sorcery character as the game progressed (<3 Homing Crystal Soulmass). Your starting fire ball spell will indeed be extremely handy for the first few boss battles. I'm trying to figure out where you are: Undead Parish or later? Have you fought the iron boar yet? TBH, if you're only a few hours in now would be the time to restart if you want to. You do pick up pyromancy flames and catalysts (aka your magic enablers) relatively early on, though, if you want to persevere. The first five-six hours are the worst by a distance!

Only two bosses away from completion now, hopefully will finish it this afternoon. Fifty of the finest gaming hours I've ever experienced.

Seriously, had my gamesave just fail, freezing on the loading screen of my 360 copy, so I took this as a sign from Brian and decided to restart as a Pyromancer, so far so good, in 30 mins I was up to the point I had left as a Knight, and that had originally taken some hours, I'm on a castle rampart fighting a great big nasty thingy, it's on top of the tower after butchering the archers that I'll take him, oh yes!!

A great game that punishes the unprepared and the inpatient, so Retr0 should have plenty of time over the few months 'til Christmas to read lots of wiki material and be ready!!

Seriously, had my gamesave just fail, freezing on the loading screen of my 360 copy, so I took this as a sign from Brian and decided to restart as a Pyromancer, so far so good, in 30 mins I was up to the point I had left as a Knight, and that had originally taken some hours, I'm on a castle rampart fighting a great big nasty thingy, it's on top of the tower after butchering the archers that I'll take him, oh yes!!

It's more to do with knowing what is coming up and being prepared. I've said before how my friend beat the first level of Demon's Souls on his first go, not because he is good but because I was there telling him what to do and what to expect. It's a learning experience. You'll find everything you've done already a lot easier.

Maybe next week I'll have the money :/

Yeah, easier, like figuring out after 2 hours that you've been playing the game as a Knight with a broken sword hilt, wondering why you've suddenly got so crap at games and putting it down to the expected extreme difficulty level, then finding out the sword was back at the start....

Muppet!!!!

Yeah, easier, like figuring out after 2 hours that you've been playing the game as a Knight with a broken sword hilt, wondering why you've suddenly got so crap at games and putting it down to the expected extreme difficulty level, then finding out the sword was back at the start....

Muppet!!!!

Start upgrading your weapons as soon as you can, too! There's a blacksmith pretty early in the game (after the first major 'story' event): powered up weapons will give you a very nice advantage :)

Only the final boss left to go, but have a few miscellaneous bits and pieces I want to track down before kicking it off. Shall be taking a bit of a break before kicking into NG+ - Nathan Drake is a callin'!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

been away for the bank holidays but meant to post aldi are doing a really nice soldering iron for a tenner and helping hands for three quid . handy for modding

Thanks for the heads up on these. The helping hands magnifying glass is really useful when doing some wiring. Cheers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Got Flower Sun & Rain on the DS today. Always caught my eye every time I seen it in shops but never got it until today :P Is it any good?

Got Flower Sun & Rain on the DS today. Always caught my eye every time I seen it in shops but never got it until today :P Is it any good?

I've heard it's an arthouse game whose main purpose is to make you endure it rather than enjoy it as a satirical, subversive commentary on the very nature of videogame design and its inherent repetition.

So yeah, 'good' may not be the optimal word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

That video up there is well worth checking out for anyone interested in 1. how good game design works and 2. how ****ing awesome Mega Man is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

tumblr_ltydr6t2in1qizbpto1_500.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Andrew76 wrote: »
    been away for the bank holidays but meant to post aldi are doing a really nice soldering iron for a tenner and helping hands for three quid . handy for modding

Thanks for the heads up on these. The helping hands magnifying glass is really useful when doing some wiring. Cheers!
    no worries. It may be because im so cackhanded with a soldering iron but doing any kind of fiddly work without one is a nightmare. at 3 or so quid theyre worth it . the soldering iron has a mini set built into the base as well by the way.

A little something for y'all,
    1316904390_BOTTOM__092417h45m32.jpg

Finished Dark Souls! The relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Smutty new Beyond the Labyrinth video

3DS may just be getting the service it deserves!

Looks fantastic. Also didn't know it was a Tri-Ace game. You can be assured it's got a great battle system then.
    Finished Dark Souls! The relief!

New game plus time!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    New game plus time!

I'm taking a break for a while to play some games that aren't so stressful (and DoDonPachi of course, which is equally heart-destroying). But NG+ all in good time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Arrrrgggghhh still waiting for my games to be dispatched from Play Asia. I hate waiting:(
    On a brighter note my new DS Lite shell and screw driver set has been dispatched:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

pdbhp wrote: »
    Smutty new Beyond the Labyrinth video

3DS may just be getting the service it deserves!

Looks interesting for a dungeon crawler. What's Konami's track record on localising stuff to the west?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

My CD32 finally arrived this afternoon, after it failing to get to me the first time.

Of course the address on the parcel was utter bollox...

Doesn't have my road on it or the post code... and also spells Dublin as 'Dublart'

Think I'll be sticking the seller with the extra postal costs on this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement