Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭Steve X2

One is front lit, one is back lit. The former is much more common. The - supposed - result with the back lit 101 is a brighter, sharper image.

Any way to tell from the model number or anything like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Steve SI wrote: »
    Any way to tell from the model number or anything like that.

Yeah on the sticker at the bottom it will say AGS-001 or AGS-101. The latter is the rare, pretty one!

Yeah on the sticker at the bottom it will say AGS-001 or AGS-101. The latter is the rare, pretty one!

Cheers,
    I'll see when they arrive next week.

I think I paid an ok price even if they are just AGS-001 anyway.

I grabbed Supercard Mini SD for the Game Boy advance as well.
    Very hard to find new these days and great for emulators and what not on the Advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Cheers,
    I'll see when they arrive next week.

I think I paid an ok price even if they are just AGS-001 anyway.

I grabbed Supercard Mini SD for the Game Boy advance as well.
    Very hard to find new these days and great for emulators and what not on the Advance.

When people ask whether something is worth such and such a price I tend to ask them back if they believe they have gotten overall value from what they've shelled out on the product. I probably overpaid for Radiant Silvergun last year at €140 but I'm still playing it, so its good value to me, even though I could have gotten it cheaper if I had of been a little more patient. So even if you pay over the market value for an item (within reason), as long as you have enjoyed it I wouldn't be too worried. Thats just my own view anyway.

Getting two SPs for €30 is likely to be a great deal for you in the long run, so I have no doubt that you got a great deal for yourself. I've stated on here before that my favourite handheld is the GBA platform as the machine's titles are often excellent 2D retro-esque games that are without any annoying gimmicks that would sometimes show up on DS games. Games such as Advance Wars, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire, Metroid: Zero Mission and Zelda: The Minish Cap are some of the best games I have ever played on any format. You really are in for a treat mate...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Whats a good price for decent condition Game Boy Advance SP?

Not sure what hardware revision.

Anyway I paid 30 euro for 2 of them (plus 5 forgettable games)so I don't think I overpaid on this one.

Thoughts?

Also, what's the story with the different versions(better backlight I think was one difference)?

If they're from Europe the chances are very very slim that is backlit. They were only released over here very late in it's life and in small numbers. If they're from the states is possible especially if it's a light blue colour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a lovely 101, got a pretty good deal from ebay for mine, now its casing is a tad scratched but the screen is perfect and gorgeous.
    As already said it is next to impossible to find here, sad truth is most who owned one probably didn't know the value of it and when the GBA's star was waning they were more than likely discarded as old toys.
    I got mine for less than 50 from the states and I recommend them highly!

I also run an E -link flash card, it has to be flashed via USB, no fancy SD cards here, but I do have a great collection of GB/C and Nes running via it, together with the rarer GBA titles, Drill Dozed etc.

Getting two SPs for €30 is likely to be a great deal for you in the long run, so I have no doubt that you got a great deal for yourself. I've stated on here before that my favourite handheld is the GBA platform as the machine's titles are often excellent 2D retro-esque games that are without any annoying gimmicks that would sometimes show up on DS games. Games such as Advance Wars, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire, Metroid: Zero Mission and Zelda: The Minish Cap are some of the best games I have ever played on any format. You really are in for a treat mate...

Ah I have a few GBA already but never had an SP model (no I have 3 :D)

There are some great games on the system for sure.

I've gone a bit mental buying handhelds over the last week or so for some reason and am no waiting on 7 in the post, as well the still sealed in box GBA I got the other day.

I only want mint condition units so I'll see how they really are when the arrive. Most Game Boy systems that are advertised as mint are usual not, the case might be fine but the screens always have some mark son them. Easily fixed with some other parts I have on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

DinoRex wrote: »
    I was at a boring party the other night... everyone was going on about rugby, but I got talking to one girl who was cool... she then led me to her bedroom where this happened:

bzrdR.jpg

Wonderboy on the C64... oh yeah!

picard-facepalm.jpg?1318992465

of course we only know half the story right?:D?

Trip to Japan is off for a couple of days :(

At least I got a few nice bits in the post today to ease the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Trip to Japan is off for a couple of days :(

At least I got a few nice bits in the post today to ease the pain.

I'll take this one. So what did you get?* :D

*that was aimed at SteveSI and not Dinoman. :D

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I'll take this one. So what did you get?* :D

Well nothing to crazy but Dondonpachi Resurrection arrived as well as new Acekard2i for the DS and a SuperCard miniSD for the GBA (for emulators and homebrew of course).

Also got a few Game Boy accessories I wanted to test out and a 10 meter slim and flat HDMI cable I've been waiting on for a little project I have in mind for the living room.

Also got some PS2 cables.

Nice one, my copy of DoDonpachi arrived too. I can imagine there will be blood curdling screams of frustration echoing across Dublin this evening as we throw our arcade sticks out the window and headbutt our tellyboxes out of pure frustration.

I wonder if boiling plasma and glass hurts? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just back from London with Sera. Went to see Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy. Was an excellent show and since the Royal Albert Hall has a bitching set of pip organs they were able to play Dancing Mad from FF6 which was amazing, the highlight of the show. Pity they had to play Eyes on Me for the FF8 fanboys/girls but they did a great performance of a ****ty song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just back from London with Sera. Went to see Distant Worlds: Music from Final Fantasy. Was an excellent show and since the Royal Albert Hall has a bitching set of pip organs they were able to play Dancing Mad from FF6 which was amazing, the highlight of the show. Pity they had to play Eyes on Me for the FF8 fanboys/girls but they did a great performance of a ****ty song.

Nice and ungrateful of you :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry but it's a rubbish song that only has nostalgia value for the people that think that FF8 was the greatest love story ever told, in other words Gods lobotomy experiments. And that's me being restrained. FF8's got a wonderful soundtrack and would have rather anything from that in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

tumblr_ll65nlYKRi1qeni5qo1_r1_500.jpg

Ah here it's not that bad. The "love" story between Squall & Rhona was rubbish, that much is true but it's a good enough song. I don't know the names of the audio tracks but the music for the Beach landing at the start of the game was great, that would have been a treat to hear live.

tumblr_ll65nlYKRi1qeni5qo1_r1_500.jpg

They played that song last during the encore. They did a great version of it but it was always going to be a bit of a let down after the 15 minute rendition of Dancing Mad, they were never going to top that. They also did the full opera song. Loads of FF6 which I was very happy with. Not enough FF4 and 5 though, with only one song from each.
    Ah here it's not that bad.

Sorry can't agree. Even the lyrics are god awful. There's an awful bang of mouldy cheddar off it. :)

Saw CEX broke the street date on MW3 on Sunday. Could have bought it for a criminal £65!!!

Sorry can't agree. Even the lyrics are god awful. There's an awful bang of mouldy cheddar off it. :)

Fair enough, not to everybody's taste.
    Must have been a sweet concert, a lot of great material to draw from and I do at least agree that FF6 has the best music from the series.
    Makes me wish Video Games Live would hurry the funk up and get back here.

• Advertisement

Chrono Trigger is still the best!

Even if they did Rick Roll us with Robo's theme:

We actually got rick rolled on the bus when we arrived. That song was playing on the radio. Michel Buble was the DJ and picked it, sick bastard.

It's a conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

May as well share this with boardsies with some sense of humor

180643.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Ah I have a few GBA already but never had an SP model (no I have 3 :D)

There are some great games on the system for sure.

I've gone a bit mental buying handhelds over the last week or so for some reason and am no waiting on 7 in the post, as well the still sealed in box GBA I got the other day.

I only want mint condition units so I'll see how they really are when the arrive. Most Game Boy systems that are advertised as mint are usual not, the case might be fine but the screens always have some mark son them. Easily fixed with some other parts I have on the way.

7 handhelds in the post :eek:

I do love my handhelds :D I wish I had even one coming in the post.... a Neo Geo Pocket Colour or a Game Boy Light.... ah, I'll just have to wait until the new year. I'm pretty much done buying games now until 2012, apart from King of Fighters XIII - too many bills recently and Christmas is a matter of weeks away. I am graduating from college next Wednesday - lets hope someone in the family has the sense to give me a voucher for HMV or eBay or something!

All this being skint means I'm playing the games I do have a lot more, which is no harm at all.

Just back from Tesco in Clarehall after some food shopping. As I left the q for that new fish game in Gamestop was unreal. I've never q'ed for a game at a midnight release before but even if I wanted it I wouldn't fancy q'ing in that.

Oh there's something fun and exciting about midnight launches.

I'd totally be there except I'd rather eat my own spine than play a CoD game...

I'd rather eat my own spine than play a CoD game...

I agree. I don't 'do' FPS. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Hope they do a midnight launch for Zelda

I have it preordered but i would still be 1st in the queue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Surprise of the Week:

Two niche gamers dislike title with mass-market, broad-reaching appeal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement