Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was the same with the first game. The hand to hand combat is really shallow but it works and is fun.

You sort of have to think of the combat as if it was a rhythm action game really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Might be buying a famicom tonight off ebay. Console only so what will I need to make it work over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Might be buying a famicom tonight off ebay. Console only so what will I need to make it work over here?

This one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Sparks43 wrote: »

Nope!

Nope!

Would you trust this one coming from Hong Kong?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll need a step down converter for one and also maybe something to get RF working on a PAL TV. I heard something about the japanese RF signal being quite different iirc? Perhaps ask the guy from famicomblog?

Would you trust this one coming from Hong Kong?

Dunno, looks legit but there are some in hong kong that are 50hz
    You'll need a step down converter for one and also maybe something to get RF working on a PAL TV. I heard something about the japanese RF signal being quite different iirc? Perhaps ask the guy from famicomblog?

I knew I might need a stepdown, but is there any other power suppy from other consoles I could use?

Also I did read somewhere that the Jap RF signal is different.

And wtf is this?

€30 delivered :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I knew I might need a stepdown, but is there any other power suppy from other consoles I could use?

Power supply is built in and I'm not sure you could swap a PAL or US PSU into it because the machines are quite different.
    And wtf is this?

It's a ****ty NES clone.

And wtf is this?

One of those famiclone things.

• Advertisement

Dunno, looks legit but there are some in hong kong that are 50hz

its the HVC-002 that is confusing me

Thought all nintendo codes were to do with prototypes ie Wii Rvl (revolution) Gamecube Dol (Dolphin)

So it should be FMC (Family Computer)?

its the HVC-002 that is confusing me

Thought all nintendo codes were to do with prototypes ie Wii Rvl (revolution) Gamecube Dol (Dolphin)

So it should be FMC (Family Computer)?

HVC stands for Home Video Computer :) And the 002 should be the power supply.

HVC stands for Home Video Computer :) And the 002 should be the power supply.

Wow talk about learning something new everyday

They must have thought Homocomp wouldnt have been popular:D

Although Cho Aniki could have been a launch game:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Electricity? :p

EnterNow wrote: »
    Electricity? :p

But how much electricity? :P

This much :D

bio10_md.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Precisely one hundred and ten volts :pac:

Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over9000.jpg

EnterNow wrote: »
    Precisely one hundred and ten volts :pac:
    Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Over9000.jpg

I suppose I'll have to dig out the oul flux capacitor and hardwire it up to the famicom. That should just about be enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Well the users of HG101 aren't fond of videogame soundtracks that try to ape Hollywood so it's no wonder it's not there.

Then it's validity/relevance is very questionable.

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Then it's validity/relevance is very questionable.

Not really, they usually have really good taste in music from what I read on the music forum there. They just don't like the current trend of videogame companies getting an orchestra to do the music and churning out really generic music that you'd hear in a b-list action film. TBH LA Noire's soundtrack is quite generic, sounding like any other film set in the 1940's. They aren't averse to orchestrated tracks as there's plenty in the list, it's just they'd want to be very good.

There's a few terrible wailing guitar tracks in the list as well though but polls are always dividing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The videogame music tracks as voted by HG101:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/bestvgm2011.htm

As the author says there's a bit too much japanese stuff there but there's some great tracks there I just discovered, especially the one from Higarashi.

Very nice list, have to admit, never played Chrono Cross

very much enjoyed listen to the different versions of bloody tears, didnt inclued this one though which is brilliant

Delighted to see Another Winter in there aswell!

Author is right though, too much Japanese stuff and for all the chrono chross and Castlevania stuff they seriously couldnt find a space for this?!

Does anyone know how the hell to play densah de go 2 on the NGPC? I can't even get the train to move!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Holy cr*p you would need a Frog Suit to get out of Town tonight. stuck in work still.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Steve X2

keithgeo wrote: »
    Holy cr*p you would need a Frog Suit to get out of Town tonight. stuck in work still.

My girlfreind just sent me this pic of the quays from a bus.

309687_2554650430092_1368894429_2937975_1591138641_n.jpg

Looks fairly nasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Does anyone know how the hell to play densah de go 2 on the NGPC? I can't even get the train to move!

If it's the same one ciderdude had, it took me a while to figure it out, but if I recall correctly the joystick is necessary to change gears. Or something. Took about five minutes of ****ing around with the thing. When I finally got it moving, it moved backwards. When I got it in a straight line, I lost because I couldn't stop it at the station on time.

Good times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I had to come back in, it took me 40 minutes to drive around the corner down around baggot street.

Thats shocking flooding in that image. this happened a couple of years back and obviously nothing was done to prepare for it happening again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah took half an hour for my bus to get from D'olier St. to Stephen's Green. If it wasn't for my good friend Mr. Murakami, I would have gone insane.

Footpaths seemed like they needed some serious draining around the city centre anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The videogame music tracks as voted by HG101:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/bestvgm2011.htm

As the author says there's a bit too much japanese stuff there but there's some great tracks there I just discovered, especially the one from Higarashi.

le sigh
    Way to many JRPGS and NES games there
    I'd love to show some of them feckers a c64 or an Amiga.
    And then beat them to death with it

• Advertisement

If it's the same one ciderdude had, it took me a while to figure it out, but if I recall correctly the joystick is necessary to change gears. Or something. Took about five minutes of ****ing around with the thing. When I finally got it moving, it moved backwards. When I got it in a straight line, I lost because I couldn't stop it at the station on time.

Good times.

Kind of figured it out. You press right to change from neutral to put it in gear. then you press back to shift up gears. Then to stop you have to press up to cycle down the gears and engage the 8 levels of braking with a final braking gear if you keep holding up. Think you then have to press left to shift it into neutral at a station but can't be sure. I'm not sure if it even registeres me at a station???

Fun times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement