Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bit of a pain you have to unlock it! It's not like it's a short game in the first place :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Bit of a pain you have to unlock it! It's not like it's a short game in the first place :pac:

True, but was a nice little surprise none the less when I see the choice screen. I'll take a break from it for a while though, before taking on the Master Quest end of things.

OoT - what a masterpiece :cool:
    Skyward Sword - Here's lookin' at you...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I keep forgetting Skyward Sword is so close!

Most reports seem to suggest the freshest Zelda in some time, so consider me excited. I know barely anything about it too, which is all too rare these days.

Pissed off I have to invest in Motion Plus for it though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I keep forgetting Skyward Sword is so close!

Most reports seem to suggest the freshest Zelda in some time, so consider me excited. I know barely anything about it too, which is all too rare these days.

Pissed off I have to invest in Motion Plus for it though :(

Yep its only around the corner, & reviews so far seem to suggest its a Zelda of epic proportions :cool: Time to dust off the Wii. I preordered the ltd edition thingy with the motionplus...feck it sure

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I was half considering a Banana Yoshimoto book a while ago (mainly because I love her name), but the wikipedia page for her temporarily turned me off: "Critics think that much of her work is superficial and commercial". I will get around to Kitchen eventually, though.
    Murakami is my favourite author, and it's heaven for fans so far. Definitely more in line with Kafka on the Shore, and that's probably my favourite of his.
    when I read that myself off wiki I said **** it, rather read it and make my own opinion of it, read the first story in Asleep and really enjoyed it.
    Books with short stories are my favourite because I can't read every night I usually read on the train/bus only so I can read one half going up and the other down and then not be like confused when I pick it up again (that's why I loved After The Quake so much and there was a frog )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Damn,
    I have to start Batman:AC
    I have to get past the start of Dark Souls
    I have to find the fundage for Zelda:SW
    And I have to dig even deeper to get the lovely collectors edition of Skyrim!
    The I have to find the time to play and finish them!!!

There's only 24 hours in a day!!!
    Maybe I should move to Mars, they've got 25 hours, that extra one could make all the difference!

Now, where did I leave the phone number for NASA, and the email address of JPL....

This Girl might let you borrow her Timeturner

If anime has taught me anything, it's that all you need to travel through time is a pebble thingie and being able to do a pretty big jump off a river bank. It's totally scientifically verified, yo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I need to check out these murakami books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Skyward Sword or Skyrim?:confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

SdoowSirhc wrote: »

Zelda's going to be the same price long after Skyrim has seen big drops. Best get the former to keep you busy 'til the latter does so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've not got a wiimotion plus so I'm thinking of preordering zelda. I've so far ignored everything about it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I need to check out these murakami books.

You do indeed! Might be best starting with A Wild Sheep Chase and its sequel (of sorts) Dance Dance Dance - they're mental, but only moderately so. Or you can just dive straight in with the brain enema - I mean that in the nicest possible way - that is Kafka on the Shore.
    SdoowSirhc wrote: »

Dark Souls :P

I'm going to keep an eye out for these motion plus badboys. They're relatively cheap, right? The special edition is nice but I don't want to pay a good bit more if I can get the mo+ for a fiver or tenner.

Edit: ugh, fifteen pound on amazon. Cheaper to just get the special edition by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Enjoying Arkham City a lot.

Don't think there's a huge amount of play in it though unless you have OCD, which seems to be the market they're catering too as there are zillions of pretty pointless collectibles to get along the way.

I've not got a wiimotion plus so I'm thinking of preordering zelda. I've so far ignored everything about it.

Why Think just do it ffs

This looks like my studying is going to take a back seat for quite a while.

2nd best game ever

Boulder Dash Ftw:D

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Boulder Dash Ftw:D
    me and Retr0 saw this on Saturday and thought of you,
    there's a diamond on the back that he probally turns into for you and all :pac:
    C360_2011-10-2215-49-48.jpg

If you want to make Sera cry, show her videos of the new demo of sonic generations and how much they screwed it up yet again.

If you want to make Sera cry, show her videos of the new demo of sonic generations and how much they screwed it up yet again.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9-2DjJ_WW3VoxgU6FnUIwAJqsuSHflL_CLPrGh6ZHeUhxkir-iA

I played it.

Calling it a worthless piece of **** is being too kind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

DinoRex wrote: »
    Enjoying Arkham City a lot.

Don't think there's a huge amount of play in it though unless you have OCD, which seems to be the market they're catering too as there are zillions of pretty pointless collectibles to get along the way.
    I'm not allowing myself to get it until
    a/ I finish AA
    b/ I finish doing the last part of the batman gaming retrospective for gamersireland.ie ,dont know why but the first two have taken me aaages longer than my other videos ;)
    and THEN I can get it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I played it.

Calling it a worthless piece of **** is being too kind.

Ah Arkham City isn't that bad now! :P

Played a couple of hours of it and found it a bit boring tbh, seems the same as the first one really. Grapple to there, glide to here, beat up some dumb mobs. Meh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Damn,
    I have to start Batman:AC
    I have to get past the start of Dark Souls
    I have to find the fundage for Zelda:SW
    And I have to dig even deeper to get the lovely collectors edition of Skyrim!

I have started Batman, got my DLC installed and everything is groovy.
    Slight pity that mere, occasional button presses seem to make you incredibly powerful in fact I only feel marginally in control of the fight scenes at all, am I the only one that feels this way?
    Otherwise it great.

As for Dark Souls, I hang my head in shame, I never picked up the broadsword and so was trying to get places with a broken sword hilt... :(
    A quick look about after a not so quick hour or so of getting my ass whupped meant I was in the game proper and lovely it is too, once again it ties with Ico for having a wonderful sense of "place" about it, if you know what I mean.

Slight pity that mere, occasional button presses seem to make you incredibly powerful in fact I only feel marginally in control of the fight scenes at all, am I the only one that feels this way?

It was the same with the first game. The hand to hand combat is really shallow but it works and is fun.

The videogame music tracks as voted by HG101:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/bestvgm2011.htm

As the author says there's a bit too much japanese stuff there but there's some great tracks there I just discovered, especially the one from Higarashi.

Ciderman wrote:

As for Dark Souls, I hang my head in shame, I never picked up the broadsword and so was trying to get places with a broken sword hilt... :(
    A quick look about after a not so quick hour or so of getting my ass whupped meant I was in the game proper and lovely it is too, once again it ties with Ico for having a wonderful sense of "place" about it, if you know what I mean.

You just need to get past the first few hours. They're really tough, but probably the best game tutorial you'll ever play. Once you get past the Undead Chapel (or church, whatever) you begin making actual progress and the game just transforms through the skills you were forced to learn.

And then addiction sets in. It's just brilliant. It will give you dopamine highs!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Seeing as you love Ico, if I were you I'd put Batman down and stick to just playing Dark Souls. It's damn hard, sometimes you feel like crying, but **** is it a good game! I'll freely admit to having punched the air several times after beating bosses. Total time eater though, I can't put it down. Been on boards a lot less as a result :eek:

I haven't played the new Batman game, but it's many many times better than AA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

The videogame music tracks as voted by HG101:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vgm/bestvgm2011.htm

I'm disappointed to see LA Noire isn't listed there. The theme composition is absolutely immense. One of my favourite soundtracks.

When I first got LA Noire I'd leave the game on the title screen for ages just to hear the lovely theme. Haven't bought the soundtrack yet but it is on iTunes so a purchase is imminent. :)

I'd go so far as to say the theme is one of the 10 best of all time. Yes. I went there.

It was the same with the first game. The hand to hand combat is really shallow but it works and is fun.
    glad to see a good few ones I know making it in there <3
    there's some great tracks there I just discovered, especially the one from Higarashi.
    and Umineko no Naku Koro ni / When the Seagulls Cry is in there too (made by the same people)
    you really have to watch them, the perfect series for Halloween

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I'm disappointed to see LA Noire isn't listed there. The theme composition is absolutely immense. One of my favourite soundtracks.

Well the users of HG101 aren't fond of videogame soundtracks that try to ape Hollywood so it's no wonder it's not there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement