Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because at the time Sega Rally rocked.

Now..well it still does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    As mentioned Future Shock was way ahead of its time. The problem wasn't really Dooms popularity it was that Doom ran on reasonable computers while Future Shock at the time required the 90's equivalent of Skynet to run.

Sorry i was being a bit vaugue here
    Its a contemporary of Quake , not Doom , but most people that would have bought it were waiting for Quake .It runs on the same kind of spec machines as quake.
    Actually a lot of the "explore the wasteland" bits of fallout 3 reminded me of it.
    They're both made by bethseda so that may be part of the reason...
    Oh there was a sequel he Terminator: SkyNET, as well , wasnt as good though , although it did have multiplayer..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah it was definitely ahead of it's time. Bethesda made a lot of games like that at the time. You should take a look at the terminator game they made for the PC, think it came out in 1990's. It's open world fully 3D. Way ahead of it's time and ropey as ****. A bit like the games Bethesda makes today :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Had a go of Battlefield 3 today. 'Tis very generic and like every other FPS these days

/igonorant statement

Although there was a free bar which is always welcome in my books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

batari wrote: »
    Well I've played through Quake II and Doom on Psx, anyone any other good FPS' to recommend me?

Not an FPS but Futurecop LAPD is an underrated classic for the PSX/Mac/PC

Asides from the very decent mission mode, the multiplayer/you vs. pc mode ''Precinct Assault'' is one of the most addictive bits of gaming you'll ever engage with. Must have racked up 500+ hours on this over the last couple years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Also, shameless plug, but some of you may remember a Japanese culture forum request that was turned down. Well now it has a home for the time being! Link in my sig and under my avatar to the Nihongo forum which we have been given the ok to talk about all things Japanese. Just posting it here because I know a lot of you are interested in Japan!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I loved Interstate 76 back in the day, it and Battlezone were way way ahead of everything else at the time. The formmer was all style and Mad Max automotive action, the latter was incredible to be honest, and few people nhabe played it, pity.
    Iwar was similarly an amazing piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

This is a neat little idea:

N9yRX.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hmm, I like it Dino, I like it a lot...

I want a modded PC controller,
    Modded PC controllers are cool....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Advertisement

safetyboy wrote: »

Bagsie on the need for speed one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Had the worst night sleep after a pre-sleep round of Dark Souls. I'm pretty sure I've never been so mentally engaged by a game - way too involving :pac:

Had the worst night sleep after a pre-sleep round of Dark Souls. I'm pretty sure I've never been so mentally engaged by a game - way too involving :pac:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,540 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I played about 6 hours of shmups with Andrew76 till 4am on Saturday, got up at 8am the next morning after 4 hours sleep, traveled from Arklow to Clontarf and then played Dark Souls till 12 last night.

Every time I close my eyes I either see bullet patterns or firebombs!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    I played about 6 hours of shmups with Andrew76 till 4am on Saturday, got up at 8am the next morning after 4 hours sleep, traveled from Arklow to Clontarf and then played Dark Souls till 12 last night.

Every time I close my eyes I either see bullet patterns or firebombs!

Lol mad man ya. Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label has probably permanently damaged my eyes/brain. That game is fecking nuts!

Master of the Universe

I can't believe that game is getting a PAL release! Feckin insane so it is. Luckily kids aren't really into shmups or we'd have the Pokemon seizure thing all over again :eek:

It was really interesting playing from Raiden through to that. Just goes to show how much the shmup genre has developed over the years. I have to say, as fun as games like that are, I do still much rather ye olde style ones like Raiden with bigger hitboxes and less but faster bullets.

Much prefer the old school shooters as well. I love my bosses and just find dodging bullet patterns less interesting than a really well designed boss or stage.

Master of the Universe

Fuuuuuuck just had a very close call.

My mam rang to say when she was throwing out the packaging I left in their place, she found Neo Geo labels in the bottom of one box.

Confused, I gave her a ring.

'What do you mean by labels? what do they say?'

'They say stuff like Viewpoint, Puzzle Bobble, Metal Slug'

:eek:

It turns out when I was organizing all the stuff that had been delivered into a new box to transport home, I forgot to take the MVS box labels out of the old one. They would heve all been binned.

Thank feck for mammies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I picked up Ico/Shadow of Colossus HD and Dark Souls over the weekend.

Haven't found much time to play them as I got hooked on Costume Quest which is free for Playstation Plus at the moment. It's really good fun and has a very similar feel and sense of humour to Psychonauts.

Started playing Dark Souls last night though and I'm enjoying it a lot more than Demon's Souls for some reason. I liked what Demons Souls was trying to do, but for some reason it didn't click with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Neo Geo labels...They would heve all been binned

• Advertisement

Fuuuuuuck just had a very close call.

My mam rang to say when she was throwing out the packaging I left in their place, she found Neo Geo labels in the bottom of one box.

Confused, I gave her a ring.

'What do you mean by labels? what do they say?'

'They say stuff like Viewpoint, Puzzle Bobble, Metal Slug'

It turns out when I was organizing all the stuff that had been delivered into a new box to transport home, I forgot to take the MVS box labels out of the old one. They would heve all been binned.

Thank feck for mammies!

That was a luck escape! Your mother must be an expert on retro gaming these days with all the stuff you send her way. :)

p.s: I hate you if you have Viewpoint MVS. :(

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That was a luck escape! Your mother must be an expert on retro gaming these days with all the stuff you send her way. :)

Lucky indeed. Must buy her something to say thanks. Mothers love Virtual Boys, right?

Pyongyang wrote: »
    p.s: I hate you if you have Viewpoint MVS. :(

Hater's gonna hate :pac:

If it's any consolation, it has a Japanese label and I can never find the damn thing.

That's one area where this MVS box project really helps out actually. I have quite a few Japanese labels and can never remember which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote:
    frown.gif
    tumblr_lll0giUjBD1qzfbtvo1_500.gif

It's NTSC-J too?! Aww for feck sake thats just rubbing salt in the wound!

Glad the boxes are going to have an extra use though. Let's see the snaps. :)

Lucky indeed. Must buy her something to say thanks. Mothers love Virtual Boys, right?

She's probably thinking what about a Virtual Son who doesn't keep filling up her house with retro gear! :p
    If it's any consolation, it has a Japanese label and I can never find the damn thing.

That's one area where this MVS box project really helps out actually. I have quite a few Japanese labels and can never remember which is which.

I shall gladly take them off your hands just to test which is which. Warning: I may or may not be heading abroad shortly after never to be seen again. :pac:

Still haven't managed to find 5 minutes to put mine together either. :(

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    It's NTSC-J too?! Aww for feck sake thats just rubbing salt in the wound!

Glad the boxes are going to have an extra use though. Let's see the snaps. :)

Haha, oh yeah, you and your NTSC-J stuff. :D I think I got that one relatively cheap too.

At the moment all but three of my MVS carts are stored in a Tesco crate in another house :( As soon as I figure out a way of getting them out I'll start making up the rest of the boxes and take a crap load of pics.

I made four to see what they're like and they really look excellent together. The labels are lovely.

Do make sure you spend a bit of time lining them up perfectly as it really adds to them. The labels are dark so you're left with a white boarder around it from the colour of the box. Looks great when you get it right!

@Pyongyang: do items from arcadeforge take long to get here do you know?

Master of the Universe

She's probably thinking what about a Virtual Son who doesn't keep filling up her house with retro gear! :p

Haha! But alas, with a Virtual Son comes Virtual Love..and who wants that? :D
    I shall gladly take them off your hands just to test which is which. Warning: I may or may not be heading abroad shortly after never to be seen again. :pac:

Still haven't managed to find 5 minutes to put mine together either. :(

They had me baffled for a moment in the beginning. The video of the guy putting one together is pretty fast and hard to follow.

However when you figure one out you have a bit of a 'duh, that was easy' moment and then can fly through the rest.

• Advertisement

@Pyongyang: do items from arcadeforge take long to get here do you know?

Usually a week to ten days I've found. Talking of which I should get my MAK Strike and Unibios back this week. Alas my MVS1-A is wrecked so I'm buying an MVS1-FZ to replace it.

Jochen has been awesome so far. Really helped me out. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement