Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,629 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

3D in film and games have totally different applications. I'm sick of people lumping the two together as a fad.

It does nothing for films as you're just a spectator - But it does have some really useful impacts on games.

As I mentioned before, I normally hate third person platforming and jumping forward into some unknown distance in the likes of OOT and Mario 64. The 3D effect totally changes that and suddenly you can judge forward distances a hell of a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    3D in film and games have totally different applications. I'm sick of people lumping the two together as a fad.

It does nothing for films as you're just a spectator - But it does have some really useful impacts on games.

As I mentioned before, I normally hate third person platforming and jumping forward into some unknown distance in the likes of OOT and Mario 64. The 3D effect totally changes that and suddenly you can judge forward distances a hell of a lot better.

Thats because its normally faffed about & bolted on to make money. I still maintain the 3D in Avatar left my jaw on the ground. Did it add to the film? As a cinematic experience, I'd say yes for me without a doubt. Would it add to it at home? No I don't think so, 3D is a cinema/video game thing for me. But I do argue when done right, such as OoT & Avatar...its breathtaking. Done wrongly, such as 90% of all '3D' versions of films, & its easy to see it as a fad.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It does nothing for films as you're just a spectator

That's not right mate. Have to agree with EnterNow, Avatar was fricking awesome because of the 3D, it felt like something fresh was happening with movies. Then Clash of the Titans came out and was utter muck, so fair enough the 3D on its own cannot hold up a film. But it certainly does more than nothing. :)

Master of the Universe

Okay perhaps I worded that wrong. It did nothing for me as a spectator ;)

I find the first 5 minutes are all 'wow! look at the depth!' - but after that my mind just tunes it out and I'm left watching a film which may as well be 2D.

And that's when it's done right. Don't get me started on 3D popping out of the screen for the sake of it. It's as bad as blood for the sake of blood in bad 70s exploitation films!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's not right mate. Have to agree with EnterNow, Avatar was fricking awesome because of the 3D, it felt like something fresh was happening with movies. Then Clash of the Titans came out and was utter muck, so fair enough the 3D on its own cannot hold up a film. But it certainly does more than nothing. :)
    post production 3d generally equals terrible tacked on 3d
    filmed in 3d (much MUCH more expensive)is pretty impressive.
    PP3d is really just there so they can charge a bit extra and to make the pirate copies look wonky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Unless the cinema is following the rules for projecting 3D movies, that is upping the brightness levels as you do have an audience sitting in the dark wearing shades, you will wind up with a 3D murky mess.
    I had the misfortune to watch Alice in Wonderland in 3D and I couldn't see the half of it.
    I had to watch it again in 2d, which was far more enjoyable.
    Tron Legacy was great but the 3D too subtle and a waste of time
    One of the best uses was in one the first, Beowulf, the animated film a few years ago, really enjoyed that a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Drive Angry 3D and Tron Legacy 3D were completely amazing. I have both Blu Ray editions at home and a 3D edition of Drive Angry.

Still waiting on a decent 3D TV though at a decent price.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Drive Angry 3D and Tron Legacy 3D were completely amazing. I have both Blu Ray editions at home and a 3D edition of Drive Angry.

Still waiting on a decent 3D TV though at a decent price.

I wonder what the Playstation 3D TV is like?

Passive 3D ftw btw, electronic Clockwork Orange type glasses ain't where its at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

I didn't really notice the 3D in Avatar. Floaty subtitles and the occasional embers were all that looked 3d

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

megaten wrote: »
    I didn't really notice the 3D in Avatar. Floaty subtitles and the occasional embers were all that looked 3d

Were you facing the right way? :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I loved Tron Legacy but I have to agree, it seemed like there was barely any 3D in that. And I saw it in the cinema twice just to be sure :D

In fact there was so little 3D that the film had a warning at the start saying not to take off your glasses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Got my free 3DS games this morning. I knew what the titles were before hand, but still, bit meh! Don't think they'll be getting much play to be honest. Might attempt a go at Metroid as I've never played through it before, but I could do without the likes of Wrecking Crew.

And what's the story with the 3D classics on the virtual store? I'd assumed there'd be loads at this point. 3. 3! You'd swear Nintendo had a **** back catalog of games or something.

they came out a while ago saying they would only be releasing 6 3D classics, apparently they completely underestimated the work needed and its either not possible or not worthwhile for most games.

As for 3D movies I sad Final Destination 5 in 3D oer the weekend, I'm not an FD fan but really enjoyed it, they really went over the top with the 3D, lots of bloody spikes right in your face. My self and the Lady giggled and screamed our way through it, wouldn't have been half so enjoyable without the 3D.

Master of the Universe

they came out a while ago saying they would only be releasing 6 3D classics, apparently they completely underestimated the work needed and its either not possible or not worthwhile for most games.

Ah ffs. So they have a 3D console, a virtual console store which (should) have loads of classic games...but they are incapable of merging the two?

That's beyond ridiculous :(

Here was me waiting to play Super Metroid in 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Putting together a little HTPC at the moment (if fcukers would ship to ireland :mad:) and been setting everything up to work through the Launcher in XBMC for emulators and whatnot. Got my wireless receiver for the Xbox controllers so decided to set it up with some of the emulators and try it out :)
    So far, MAME has taught me Street Fighter: The Movie is amazingly diabolical :pac: (Although actually doing moves with Raul Julia, Van Damme & Kylie is strangely fun)
    Goldeneye really really has not aged well :( (Damn your rightness Retro)
    I still love the Turtles, X-Men and Simpsons arcade games :pac:
    Getting all the box art is a cnut! (it fetches it online but you have to name everything perfectly :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Ah ffs. So they have a 3D console, a virtual console store which (should) have loads of classic games...but they are incapable of merging the two?

That's beyond ridiculous :(

Here was me waiting to play Super Metroid in 3D.

They thought it would just be a matter of sticking in some different layers and paralax but as the games were never designed that way putting in 3D completely changed them, Tennis on the NES was one of the first ones they wanted to do but the 3D made the game unplayable, fixing it would have taken so much effort that it would have been quicker and easier to make a new tennis game from the ground up.

Steve SI wrote: »
    Were you facing the right way? :D

Yes. It wasn't impressive. 3D is much easier to notice in games.

megaten wrote: »
    Yes. It wasn't impressive. 3D is much easier to notice in games.

Line of sight is also massively important for the effect to work properly. You need to be as central to the screen as possible.

The row 1A & 35Z people were probably wondering why everything was so blurry!

Fecks sake, building a new pc for myself(not the hyperspin one) so ordered some parts from amazon late last night.

They feckin charged me 8 times for the whole order. My credit card almost started a fire it was so hot this morning. I wont say how much it was but lets just say the parts I ordered were high end.
    Now the long pain in the arse of getting a refund.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Fecks sake, building a new pc for myself(not the hyperspin one) so ordered some parts from amazon late last night.

They feckin charged me 8 times for the whole order. My credit card almost started a fire it was so hot this morning. I wont say how much it was but lets just say the parts I ordered were high end.
    Now the long pain in the arse of getting a refund.

How the feck does that happen? You fall asleep on the keyboard or something. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    How the feck does that happen? You fall asleep on the keyboard or something. :pac:

Maybe, one thing is for sure I didn't order 8 i7 processors on purpose and that's for sure.

Although it would make for a killer system :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And thats how you build skynet :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Who needs a 3DS when you have a virtual boy.

Mega Chin wrote: »
    And thats how you build skynet :pac:

Yeah, its ok if it takes over the planet. As long as it lets me play somes games and do some graphics work on it.

On a different note, I see you have a Thundercats logo as your avatar. You watched the new version of it that started last month? What do you think?

It has a very Japanese style to it but I'm not sold on the voice work(only watched 3 eps though).

Retr0gamer wrote: »

A virtual boy is something I don't have. I really must get one.

I have three 3DS's if you wanna trade :D

I told my brother that the resolution on the virtual boy is 1 × 224 and his head melted a bit trying to figure out how you could play a game on a screen like that :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Lol, says a lot about the 3DS doesn't it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

So anybody with the amazing 3DS download their free games yet?
    Does it take long?

Damn working till 7 so no games till later:(

pdbhp wrote: »
    So anybody with the amazing 3DS download their free games yet?
    Does it take long?

Damn working till 7 so no games till later:(

Yeah I got the ten of them. Takes 20 seconds or so per game. Its nice that SMB & the two Zelda's are in there...but, meh. I'd have prefered one solid 3DS game instead...I'd even pay for it like :(

Master of the Universe

Downloading them was a pain in the ass.

Navigate through several sub menus.

Find game and download.

Store then throws you back out to main menu.

Find game and download.

Find game and download.

Find game and download.

Find game and download.

Find game and download.

Find game and download.

Find game and download.

Find game and download.

Find game and download.

And then, finally, you have all ten games.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Line of sight is also massively important for the effect to work properly. You need to be as central to the screen as possible.

The row 1A & 35Z people were probably wondering why everything was so blurry!

I was off to the side a bit from what I can remember. That was probably it then.

• Advertisement

Anyone have a number for AJ over on arcademachines.ie other than the one on the website (086 125 6230). He's impossible to get in contact with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement