Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I was very excited until I noticed they were children, now I need to have another shower

Did you think they were just far away?

Also:

NICE TRAIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Shame the Ds was not as strong

Oh btw did anyone see Blackmarket Ireland about knock off Dvds and games

I missed it myself so i downloaded it from the pirate bay :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Warning: the following video contains excessive levels of ass.

As freaked out as I am by the video, the bit with the jump ropes is horrifically impressive.

Ah yes... I got my 3DS back this evening...

Yes.. I lost it while drunk a few weeks back...

• Advertisement

Warning: the following video contains excessive levels of ass.

As freaked out as I am by the video, the bit with the jump ropes is horrifically impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Not that I don't enjoy a good "Hide the Penis Dance" video but if I could just bring this back to games for a moment,

Do I need to play Earthbound before Mother3? I'm only going to have time to get through one of them in the next few weeks before Exams catch up with me so which is best?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not that I don't enjoy a good "Hide the Penis Dance" video but if I could just bring this back to games for a moment,

Do I need to play Earthbound before Mother3? I'm only going to have time to get through one of them in the next few weeks before Exams catch up with me so which is best?

I believe they're pretty much standalone? Working through Earthbound myself at the moment, very much enjoying it. Well worth a look. Shall certainly move on to Mother 3 afters.

Dont bother with either

Just play Boulder Dash

The best game ever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

They're as linked as the average main series Final Fantasy title. That is, barely, if at all, with bits of fan-service here and there. Generally, it's Earthbound, the Mother 3, then everyone goes back and plays Mother as they need a good dose of fresh Itoi goodness before they commit themselves to replaying them all.

I'm also trying to cut back on my tendency to hype these games, as I recall a lot of the allure of them, for me at least, was how unassuming and unpretentious, basically un-hype, they are. Mission kind of failed, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0 will tell you better than me
    played EB first and going onto Mammy3 when I finish PKMN WHT
    Mr.Saturn wrote:
    Generally, it's Earthbound, the Mother 3, then everyone goes back and plays Mother
    is doing that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Earthbound and Mother 3 are kind of linked. Mother 3 can definitely be enjoyed standalone but if you play Mother 3 first you will miss out on a lot references and a some of the moments in the game won't have as much impact.

As for recommending one over the other, I can't. Mother 3 is the better game and it's story is easier to appreciate while earthbound takes a while to get going and really you have to finish it to get the most out of it.

There's definitely way more links between earthbound and mother 3 since the universes do cross over a bit unlike FF where the stories are mutually exclusive.

As for them getting way too hyped, yep I have to agree it might be a problem so ignore me and mr saturn and just sit back and enjoy them for what they are.

Earthbound is a bit of a slow-burner in some regards. It's a very basic RPG which can frustrate at times - whether its a battle where you keep missing for no apparent reason, an annoying section where enemies keep draining your PP (i.e. MP) etc... And there's a few bits that have aged - the inventory sizes are a constant annoyance until you have a party (even then not being able to dispose of 'important items' is a pain in the arse), and the Dragon Quest-esque companions that you have to level up to your own level from a measly level one can get frustrating.

But the writing is strong, the situations unique, the parody clever, plenty of fun innovations (teddybears are awesome), the world fun to explore and more often than not the simplicity of gameplay is a boon rather than a weakness.

So yeah, don't let hype put you off, because its a fantastic game, even if the gameplay occasionally suggests that it isn't!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I want to say something but it's best to leave it until you are finished :)

Cheers all! will let you know how I get on with which ever one I decide to start first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

the inventory sizes are a constant annoyance until you have a party (even then not being able to dispose of 'important items' is a pain in the arse)

Oh the joys, where you're locked in a boss battle with a sense of smugness derived from having twelve portions of lifenoodles in your inventory, only to turn around and watch the character holding them all getting knocked out. There's a lesson about eggs and baskets there somewhere.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Dont bother with either

Just play Boulder Dash

The best game ever

You should give advice in the personal issues forum.

"My girlfriend just left me for another man..."

"Play Boulder Dash!"

DinoRex wrote: »
    You should give advice in the personal issues forum.

"My girlfriend just left me for another man..."

"Play Boulder Dash!"

Nah better posting here

7ied.jpg

Quick query: does anyone have a copy of Zero Wing, and if so, is it multi-language? I've found a cheapish French copy but it would be a waste of money if it doesn't feature our friend CATS informing people of bases belonging to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Very few Megadrive games are in European languages...mostly just RPGs and odd local ones like the Ottifants in Germany.

The booklets are multi language but the games are in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ok which of ye has been playing with the Game Gear wiki article?
    Main article: List of Game Gear games
    Approximately 390 official titles were released for the Game Gear,[4] although at the time of the console's launch, there were only six software titles available (seven with the pack-in game, Columns). Sega made sure that a wide variety of video game genres were represented on the system, in order to give it a broad appeal. Prices for game cartridges initially ranged from $24.99 to $29.99 each.[citation needed] They were molded black plastic with a rounded front for convenient removal. The original Game Gear pack-in title was Columns, which was similar to the Tetris cartridge that Nintendo had included when it launched the Game Boy.
    Popular titles included Sega's own series, notably Sonic the Hedgehog; Disney movie extensions, such as The Lion King; and 3rd-party developer games like Shaq Fu.
    In an unusual step for Sega (but also practiced by rival Nintendo on their Game Boy handhelds), Sega chose not to use regional lockout on Game Gear cartridges, meaning that any system could play any games regardless of the country they were released in. This practice helped to make the console popular among import gamers.

Worst. Videogame soundtrack. Ever!

One time only offer

Better be quick :pac:

A contender for best box art ever. The japanese Third world war on the Mega-CD:

_-Third-World-War-Sega-MegaCD-_.jpg

Thanks for all the comments yesterday, I *ahem* Found a *cough* old copy, of Earthbound lying around last night and gave it a quick whirl during my lunch break today. Really like the visuals and that it isn't set in some mysterious land full of old gits with cryptic messages about triangles and special swords. I'm looking forward to getting into it now.

The colours are my favourite thing about Earthbound.

So green!

It baffles me that some publications at the time of release were really negative about how earthbound looked. It's one of the best looking games on the SNES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Check out this seriously good Dubstep mixup using tonnes of great retro games!

http://soundcloud.com/djcutman/the-legend-of-dubstep

• Advertisement

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Dubstep

Back away, not today, disco lady :pac:

(it's rather impressive technically, the mix, but dubstep makes my ears cry :P)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement