Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Holy testicle Tuesday! This all belongs to the same chap! :eek:

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6898

I don't think I've ever seen a more impressive collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Holy testicle Tuesday! This all belongs to the same chap! :eek:

http://www.videogamecollectors.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=6898

I don't think I've ever seen a more impressive collection.

I think it's safe to say that guy owns pretty much 99.9% of every retro game and related merchandise ever made. No joke.

That sealed collection of every Dreamcast title ever made is an absolutely BIBLICAL effort.

But is he happy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But is he happy?

I'd be :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I think it's safe to say that guy owns pretty much 99.9% of every retro game and related merchandise ever made. No joke.

That sealed collection of every Dreamcast title ever made is an absolutely BIBLICAL effort.

But is he happy?

Good question. I bet he's not.

See, I think there's an unhealthy side to this whole gaming lark for some people who take it too seriously. Hey I've been guilty of it in the past from time to time overspending on stuff I didn't need and playing games for ridiculous lengths of time.

However, there's some people out there whose lives revolve around games buying, and they hardly play the things and end up with problems as a result of their unhealthy obsession and dodgy lifestyle. When you see people with loads of sealed games and "complete" collections then you are getting into dangerous territory I feel.

There's nothing wrong with say, going for a full set on Neo Geo Pocket or Dreamcast over a long period of time. But... there's people there on YouTube going nuts to buy as much effing software as possible, just to hoard it and sho off to the virtual friends. There was one guy there last week I had to pull up and then unsubscribe from because about twice a week he was showing MASSIVE haul of all sorts of crap that he had no genuine interest in playing. He must have been buying thirty or forty rubbish games every week. When he started buying the same game more than once I had to get him out of my life, even though he had the odd good pick-up.

There's loads of others on the likes of YouTube and RetroGamer.net who need to get a life, and enjoy gaming for what it is - a fantastic pasttime and hobby, not a reason to get up in the morning!

[/rant]

*Heads off to alphabetise Sega Saturn imports collection*

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

*Heads off to alphabetise Sega Saturn imports collection*

;)

If you have the Saturn's fighter collection sealed up and gathering dust, I'm am going to put my head in grated fingers and weep.

I like looking at game rooms, or at least, I used to, 'til it dawned on me that the vast majority of the titles I'm looking at haven't been played. It's just stuff for stuff's sake. Call me a -insert derogatory qualifier-, but I like looking at my stack of games, books, films, comic et al and remembering what went into them, beating them, critiquing them and comparing them among all the other social aspects that surround it. I look at theor stacks of unplayed titles, and I feel empty. I felt bad for having a couple of games unfinished 'til I saw some folks' backloggery, where games beaten to games unplayed differenced in the hundreds in favour of the latter. I mean, I know it can be seen as an investment to some degree, but it just strikes me as 'off' a little.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

For the record, for me, personally, I play everything I buy at least once. What's the point of buying it if not? Games are to be played, not kept sealed up.

I do bag all my games though because I want to keep them pristine and because I'm an anal OCD sod.

However I do buy some more expensive items and don't play them in the hopes of maintaining and of course increasing value should prices rise. I look after my collection because that's me and thats what I like to do. I plan to back up those titles and eventually play them, which is why I use modchips.

I don't agree with SG-OCD just to sit on a shelf, I buy it because it's new. When it matters most for investments.

Play your games and admire your collection and show it off all at the same time.

Variety is the spice.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    If you have the Saturn's fighter collection sealed up and gathering dust, I'm am going to put my head in grated fingers and weep.

I like looking at game rooms, or at least, I used to, 'til it dawned on me that the vast majority of the titles I'm looking at haven't been played. It's just stuff for stuff's sake. Call me a -insert derogatory qualifier-, but I like looking at my stack of games, books, films, comic et al and remembering what went into them, beating them, critiquing them and comparing them among all the other social aspects that surround it. I look at theor stacks of unplayed titles, and I feel empty. I felt bad for having a couple of games unfinished 'til I saw some folks' backloggery, where games beaten to games unplayed differenced in the hundreds in favour of the latter. I mean, I know it can be seen as an investment to some degree, but it just strikes me as 'off' a little.

I couldn't agree more. Having games and not playing them goes against the hobby if its on a huge scale.

I'll admit to having several DS games that I haven't played yet - but these are RPGs that I got on the cheap, and will be played once I get round to them over the next few months. I've PS2 games that need finishing as well. I'll get round to it though in time.

Its normal to have games that you need to get back to that maybe wasn't a type of game you wanted to play at that time. We all go through phases - I've been on a massive platformer buzz there at the start of the summer, now I'm at the shooters a lot. I've no interest in role-players right now, but my DS ones will be nailed soon enough once I start feeling the genre again.

Its as you say though, these guys on the likes of YouTube own monster backlogs going back years in which the owner will never actually experience the riches within the plastic. Ever. Mainly because he's just going to buy more and more other stuff. Then he'll get a fit of the senses and end up selling it all. These collections seem to be more about hoarding and wasting money than appreciating the enjoyment of the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

For the record, for me, personally, I play everything I buy at least once. What's the point of buying it if not? Games are to be played, not kept sealed up.

I do bag all my games though because I want to keep them pristine and because I'm an anal OCD sod.

However I do buy some more expensive items and don't play them in the hopes of maintaining and of course increasing value should prices rise. I look after my collection because that's me and thats what I like to do. I plan to back up those titles and eventually play them, which is why I use modchips.

I don't agree with SG-OCD just to sit on a shelf, I buy it because it's new. When it matters most for investments.

Play your games and admire your collection and show it off all at the same time.

Variety is the spice.

Well, I wouldn't slight that. It just irks me if the majority of one's gaming enjoyment is derived from the buying, it's fun and all, but when it becomes the whole point, you could collect anything, really, and it'd feel the same.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

I couldn't agree more. Having games and not playing them goes against the hobby if its on a huge scale.

I'll admit to having several DS games that I haven't played yet - but these are RPGs that I got on the cheap, and will be played once I get round to them over the next few months. I've PS2 games that need finishing as well. I'll get round to it though in time.

Its normal to have games that you need to get back to that maybe wasn't a type of game you wanted to play at that time. We all go through phases - I've been on a massive platformer buzz there at the start of the summer, now I'm at the shooters a lot. I've no interest in role-players right now, but my DS ones will be nailed soon enough once I start feeling the genre again.

Its as you say though, these guys on the likes of YouTube own monster backlogs going back years in which the owner will never actually experience the riches within the plastic. Ever. Mainly because he's just going to buy more and more other stuff. Then he'll get a fit of the senses and end up selling it all. These collections seem to be more about hoarding and wasting money than appreciating the enjoyment of the software.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah there's a point when collecting becomes obsessive and one should step back. Like there's an awful, awful lot of crap out there: is it really worth spending all that money on absolute bollocks just to have a complete collection? It's pretty, sure, and will make fellow nerds green with envy, but it's all rather futile.

Games are to be played. I, like everyone, have plenty of games that haven't got the attention they deserve, and in a handful of cases haven't been played (again - cheap games, and mostly super long RPGs). But they're always bought with good intentions, and usually for less than the price of dirt (dirt is expensive these days, don't you know?)

A good games collection is something to cherish, like a good book, DVD or em.. stamp (?!) collection. It's nice to be able to dip into a great game when you want. And I'm sure most of us have more games than we technically "need" (quote unquote). But when you're buying every piece of crap just to throw it on a shelf, you're not really a gamer anymore. You're like that dude from Silence of the Lambs, but without the mass murder. And we all know the Zodiac Killer was just bored after completing his Magnavox Odyssey collection.

• Advertisement

There's nothing better than to look at your collection and think to yourself 'you know what retr0, you've got great taste in games mate!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's nothing better than to look at your collection and think to yourself 'you know what retr0, you've got great taste in games mate!'.

While touching yourself as well, right? RIGHT?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have also decided to try and throw together some last minute Persona 4 MC cosplay for tomorrow night.

Have to make the school badge somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Feel quite sad at the moment :(

Took the latest copy of Retrogamer to the pub with me tonight and ended up talking to 3 SEXY girls (One of them was the Barmaids sister)

Talk about being hit on,the 3 of them wanted me to go clubbing with them with the hot barmaid

Then one of them spotted the mag and started talking about the Megadrive :eek:

I said that it was a chit system as it did not have Boulder Dash on it..............

Now i know why i stayed a virgin for so long:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Feel quite sad at the moment :(

Took the latest copy of Retrogamer to the pub with me tonight and ended up talking to 3 other girls (One of them was the Barmaids sister)

Are you also a girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

DinoRex wrote: »
    Are you also a girl?

oooooooooooooooooopsssssssssss

:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Get a nomad, bitches love nomads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Must test this hypothesis, I have me Nomad, a screen mod and a battery mod, then with the Virtua Racing cart in place, I looks like I've got some serious hardware.
    Of course, when they realise that the big lump in your hands has less power than their little sisters phone and it can't access Facetube they may be underwhelmed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Now i know why i stayed a virgin for so long:o

Had you no mates at all?
    No one had a quiet word and said..

"Look Sparks, they don't want to talk about Boulder Dash, I know you love it but can't you say something else, they don't want to hear that their face reminds you of level 5 in the C64 version"

No?
    That conversation never happened?

Deary deary me....

You never had a chance so.

Reflect, therefore, on how lucky Retr0 is!
    Imagine how hard it is for a normal bloke who likes homoerotic shooters, dating sims and dressing up as a japanese schoolgirl! Thank the gods he met Sera or those puppys would have turned blue by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,609 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone ever heard this? It's feckin great!

/Edit - apparantly it was in Skins? Last.fm recommended it to me due to all the bleepin' and blippin' chiptunes I listen to, I swear!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »

/Edit - apparantly it was in Skins? Last.fm recommended it to me due to all the bleepin' and blippin' chiptunes I listen to, I swear!

That's a pretty cool tune. Looks like alpahaeagle has bagged himself a nice Nomad over on adverts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

o1s1n wrote: »

"Starscream" is an excellent name for a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

"Starscream" is an excellent name for a band.

Starscream is great. They actually had a bit of bother on twitter recently when one of the "DJs" in slipknot who is called 'DJ Starscream' got wind of their existence and had his followers harass him. Many of them seemed unaware that their hero didn't exactly invent the name himself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's a pretty cool tune. Looks like alpahaeagle has bagged himself a nice Nomad over on adverts. :D
    theres a neogeo pocket there as well , I'm broke otherwise I'd throw an offer in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

ghostchant wrote: »
    Starscream is great. He actually had a bit of bother on twitter recently when one of the "DJs" in slipknot who is called 'DJ Starscream' got wind of his existence and had his followers harass him. Many of them seemed unaware that their hero didn't exactly invent the name himself.

You know whos fault that is don't ya?
    Michael Bay's. 3 Transformers movies and it was impossible to tell any of the Decepticons apart. Can we really blame the kids here?:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

theres a neogeo pocket there as well , I'm broke otherwise I'd throw an offer in :(

Aye well worth 30 as long as the screen is ok. Prefer to have a pic of it working just to be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I have no idea why but this suddenly got stuck in my head :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Have also decided to try and throw together some last minute Persona 4 MC cosplay for tomorrow night.

Have to make the school badge somehow.
    is that the b&w one? Could be done easy/quick with felt and glue, or get transfer paper, Tesco sometimes have it for 5er, Lidl/Aldi is cheaper but might not have it.
    Where you going to?

Sera wrote: »
    is that the b&w one? Could be done easy/quick with felt and glue, or get transfer paper, Tesco sometimes have it for 5er, Lidl/Aldi is cheaper but might not have it.
    Where you going to?

Cheers, will give it a go!

Going to this: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100228236746659 Sure why not!

• Advertisement

Pfft, only nerds go to cosplay conventions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement