Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

EnterNow wrote: »
    That Nomad battery box mod breaks some of the laws of thermodynamics, I'm convinced of it :D

Must sort out that screen and battery mod for my Nomad.
    Its still a cool device but I just cant use it without the mods after seeing Andrews Nomad a while back.

Still, I picked up the vita so will play about with that until I get my Nomad sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Doge

waveform wrote: »
    imame be officially pulled now.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/24/imame-app-gets-pulled-from-itunes-app-store/

I can see a lot of retroists giving apple the fingers for their first time, and jailbreaking their phone just to get the app.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »

And its home I go, to jailbreak the frakker!
    I'm not going to quit now!

Told y'all so!

Its a slippery slope, Cydia is quite the evil temptress! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

The humble Spectrum in at number 72 in the top 100 gadgets of all time

On more 4 at the mo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I already caught flak from the wife after having to JB her 3GS, her bro-in-law, a self-confessed knower of all apple knowledge maintains that Jailbreaking an iphone makes it unreliable, prone to crashes, makes the device no better than an android phone.
    I retort by saying, frak you, that it his iphone requires the turn it off/turn it on two-step every now and again and that, well, what's wrong with my HTC Desire? Twat!

So now to wait for the A5 based Apple devices to be Jailbroken, ios5.0.1 to be specific, then it's iMame4ever all the way baby!

On an interesting note, turns out that it wasn't Apple that forced imame4ever to be withdrawn from the App store, but the Mame team themselves.
    They felt that an adapted older version of Mame detracted from the ideals of the programme to start with and, due to the mentioning of Mame and the use of it's logo through out, told the iMame4all to remove it or else....

What a bunch of dirty bung holes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Happy new year to all

Have a really retro 2012:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Happy new year from everyone in Aperture Science and those bums in Black Mesa

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Happy 2012, y'all!

Here's to another year of general retro discussion, posting here everytime you get something new and posting about Goldeneye / Streets of Rage / insert poison of choice here.

Happy 2012, y'all!

Here's to another year of general retro discussion, posting here everytime you get something new and posting about Goldeneye / Streets of Rage / insert poison of choice here.

Are we really so predictable?
    We'll have to mix it up a bit, with some predictions for the new year...
    I won't point out how much SoR sucks, Sparks eases up on the, frankly deviant, love for Boulder Dash, Retr0 starts to develop a love for Overblood and Legend of Dragoon, Johnny starts raving about Bruckheimer and Bay movies and Atavan just plain sobers up.
    In this age of miracles O1s1n might get a Michael Buble CD, Sera get addicted to Matlock and Murder She Wrote and Enternow wind up in prison where his unfortunate nickname will lead to untold romantic encounters with his fellow in mates.
    Jack Burton might finally make an offer consisting of more than a half eaten bag of Tayto and the change in his purse from a PC Engine LT....
    Luas Dublin might overcome his SoR addiction with some help from his friends, and a smack of the common sense hammer!
    Andrew might finally realise that Raiden isn't the only game series in heaven and allow a little Halo into his life.
    Nothing to wish to see for Pdbhp, he's now a bronze Adonis on Tallafornia..
    Pyongyang will realise his fevered collecting of retro games is flawed and give them all away to us.
    Alphaeagle will get his 5200 to work on a Pal TV without major surgery....
    Dinorex may well get a Fez, they're cool!
    And not forgetting Jack Burton who may, just may, offer some lucky so and so a full, unopened bag of Tayto and, and, more than 53c for a PC Engine LT... Who knows, might happen....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Jack burton

35d1rj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Happy new year to all Retro gamers out there, may our love for retro gaming not drive the price of awesome titles up to ridonculous levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A holiday message from Steve SI (best viewed in HD):

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I already have 2. A straw boater is next on my list.

Hmm, classy...
    You'll look like a member of the Style Council...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Happy new year!

Sera I hope the annual obligatory drunken NYE phonecall was acceptable :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Happy new year dudes!

I came across something very weird last night. Was sitting at the end of Bray beach at about 11:30pm with a couple of people, hidden in the shadow of the wall. No one could see us apart from the glowing end of a rolled smoke. It was almost pitch black.

Right beside us, out of the car park, came a precession of African people dressed in long, (I think white?) ceremonial type garb down to their feet. Their kids were dressed the same. They couldn't see us. We just sat there with gaping jaws.

There were loads of them. They were all walking down to the sea in a line. Unfortunately Bray beach dips off, so when you cant actually see whats happening down at the shore.

In the darkness, the people I was with decided to creep up to have a peak - but got freaked out by a load of chanting and came back pretty sharpish.

Am I just ignorant? Is this some new years cerramonial thing celebrated by some religious organization? A baptism perhaps?

Cos it sure as hell seemed odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Happy new year dudes!

I came across something very weird last night. Was sitting at the end of Bray beach at about 11:30pm with a couple of people, hidden in the shadow of the wall. No one could see us apart from the glowing end of a rolled smoke. It was almost pitch black.

Right beside us, out of the car park, came a precession of African people dressed in long, (I think white?) ceremonial type garb down to their feet. Their kids were dressed the same. They couldn't see us. We just sat there with gaping jaws.

There were loads of them. They were all walking down to the sea in a line. Unfortunately Bray beach dips off, so when you cant actually see whats happening down at the shore.

In the darkness, the people I was with decided to creep up to have a peak - but got freaked out by a load of chanting and came back pretty sharpish.

Am I just ignorant? Is this some new years cerramonial thing celebrated by some religious organization? A baptism perhaps?

A 'rolled-cigarette' you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Are we really so predictable?
    We'll have to mix it up a bit, with some predictions for the new year...
    I won't point out how much SoR sucks, Sparks eases up on the, frankly deviant, love for Boulder Dash, Retr0 starts to develop a love for Overblood and Legend of Dragoon, Johnny starts raving about Bruckheimer and Bay movies and Atavan just plain sobers up.
    In this age of miracles O1s1n might get a Michael Buble CD, Sera get addicted to Matlock and Murder She Wrote and Enternow wind up in prison where his unfortunate nickname will lead to untold romantic encounters with his fellow in mates.
    Jack Burton might finally make an offer consisting of more than a half eaten bag of Tayto and the change in his purse from a PC Engine LT....
    Luas Dublin might overcome his SoR addiction with some help from his friends, and a smack of the common sense hammer!
    Andrew might finally realise that Raiden isn't the only game series in heaven and allow a little Halo into his life.
    Nothing to wish to see for Pdbhp, he's now a bronze Adonis on Tallafornia..
    Pyongyang will realise his fevered collecting of retro games is flawed and give them all away to us.
    Alphaeagle will get his 5200 to work on a Pal TV without major surgery....
    And not forgetting Jack Burton who may, just may, offer some lucky so and so a full, unopened bag of Tayto and, and, more than 53c for a PC Engine LT... Who knows, might happen....
    35d1rj.jpg

-_-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Happy new year dudes!

Without sounding zenophobic: Foriegners are wierd

-_-

The joys of editing posts

haha nice save Ciderman

Happy new year dudes!

Mabye if you looked a bit closer you would have seen this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,631 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Something else bloody weird happened on the way home too.

Myself and the girlfriend were walking along Clontarf strand and noticed this black balloon floating along high in the sky.

After a while it touched down in a field so we ran over and picked it up.

Girlfriend was walking along all happy with her nearly aquired (odd, black) helium balloon floating alongside us like some weird, spherical dog - when with a woosh, it flew out of her hand and up into the air again.

This time it floated out across the road, dodging all the traffic and came down on the other side, where a man caught it and handed it to his child.

The kid looked delighted with her new sky balloon.

It probably floated across the bay from that black mass I witnessed in Bray the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Happy new year dudes!

There is an African Christian Evangelical group around Bray that occasionally have processions up to the top of the Head, lots of chanting, long white robes and all that sort of thing. Its all very odd but isn't anything to mad, something to do with worshipping God in nature if I remember correctly.

Something else bloody weird happened on the way home too.

Myself and the girlfriend were walking along Clontarf strand and noticed this black balloon floating along high in the sky.

After a while it touched down in a field so we ran over and picked it up.

Girlfriend was walking along all happy with her nearly aquired (odd, black) helium balloon floating alongside us like some weird, spherical dog - when with a woosh, it flew out of her hand and up into the air again.

This time it floated out across the road, dodging all the traffic and came down on the other side, where a man caught it and handed it to his child.

The kid looked delighted with her new sky balloon.

It probably floated across the bay from that black mass I witnessed in Bray the night before.

Now that sounds like an alien invasion if ever there was one.
    An invasion of balloon people....

Hello and Salutations to our new balloon overlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Happy new year dudes!

Sounds pretty weird :P Perhaps the "rolled cigarette" was swaying your perception :P

Steve SI wrote: »

*listens to eerie suspense music*

*is now unsure about posting here ever again in case something bad happens* :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »

Buy two of everything :D

Poor Cidey's iPad could be rendered obsolete in less than 2 months time:

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/886131-ipad-3-release-date-rumoured-to-be-february-24-steve-jobs-birthday

Edit: better link:
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/275022/20120101/ipad-3-feature-a6-processor-9-7.htm

Now the big question is if an exploit will be released for A5 Based devices before then!

EnterNow wrote: »
    Buy two of everything :D

Buy two of everything so we can bring them aboard or own Retro Gaming Apocalyptic Ark on December 21st 2012?

Maybe Steve SI knows something we don't!
    So that's why the so serious music!

Don't mind a new Ipad, this one is my wife's device, I have a Kindle!

• Advertisement

Don't mind a new Ipad, this one is my wife's device, I have a Kindle!

Using the internet on a book is the weirdest thing ever isn't it? :D

Had a quick go off one at Christmas!

Tis like a V-Tech version of d'internets!

But in a good way!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement