Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Right looking to make one of those LSDJ gameboys, or at least get one if i find out its really complicated to make one.

anyone know of any good tutorials for modding the gameboy for it?

This site has some good mods on it and links to some tutorials, you'll have to trawl through it though but it'll be enjoyable

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Has anyone got any of the stuff available on "club nintendo" by adding in the points you get with games, consoles etc?? just wondering what they are like, the zelda statue looks good.

edit: i just checked and the zelda statue is gone now from it!

keithgeo wrote: »
    Has anyone got any of the stuff available on "club nintendo" by adding in the points you get with games, consoles etc?? just wondering what they are like, the zelda statue looks good.

I've got some stuff over the last few years, never any good but still nice to havev.
    Got a coule of keyrings a mouse mat and some other tat.
    Takes months to get sent out aswell:(

I was after that zelda statue but its gone now off it today for some reason.

keithgeo wrote: »
    I was after that zelda statue but its gone now off it today for some reason.

could be all gone as the net has been buzzing about that statue recently.
    Would be nice to have but at 1000 stars it'd take a lot of games to get one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

It won't let me log into my club nintendo account now :mad: It's saying the email address is not registered :mad: I have 3000 or so points too so the feckers better let me log in as I've loads of stuff to register!

It won't let me log into my club nintendo account now :mad: It's saying the email address is not registered :mad: I have 3000 or so points too so the feckers better let me log in as I've loads of stuff to register!

Happened to me about a year ago, I think they updated the system a few times since then and each time it gets fouled up and un registers Irish members at least thats the story I'm sticking to

the site was acting up a bit yesterday alright, for some reason i couldnt log in using firefox. internet explorer let me in fine though. I think the zelda statue was 15,000 when i was looking at it the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

these are fairly nice, I dont have a club Nintendo though, gave away my 3ds points to my cousins aswell haha

hmm, i dont think you can get them on the uk\ireland one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Doge

ROADBLASTERS!

Oh how I have missed you so much, my head was wrecked a good few times (even last night) trying to track the down the name.

Then minutes ago, I stumbled across it in a "100 Mega Drive Games" vid earlier, thanks to clonadlad's thread.

I've always had a very fond and vague memory of playing this game at night time down in a dark arcade place in Ballybunion, Kerry when I was 3-6 years of age.

They had the cockpit style cabinet of the game:

1181242156263.jpg

It must have been the first arcade game I ever played which had a cockpit,
    I was astonished at that age, it felt being inside a real car at the time! :p

It was probably the very first arcade game I played that had a wheel also!

The red car, futuristic setting and those green fuel blobs have been implanted in my brain all these years!

Love these nostalgic moments!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved that game!
    Had it on the C64, of all places, an excellent version.

In a quandry me..
    I have finally located a copy of Cave Story 3d on ebay, but it's in Italy, says its a english cover but Italian manual.
    Not sure if the game in english.
    The whole thing comes in a less than 40 which is a first too.
    So, is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Can't say I'm overly taken with the PC version.

The music and graphics are lovely... but the whole thing is a bit busy and it's hard to know what you're supposed to be doing.

Roadblasters has not only lived upto my fond memories, it's surpassed them!

This is seriously my favourite arcade racer of that era, with Continental Circus in a close 2nd, and the chase HQ/ Special Crime Investigation games in 3rd, (going to do a review of SCI for the c64 soon i'd say).

The vibrant colours, the different background in each stage, the 3 areas offer a lot of gameplay.

Even though it doesn't use polygons, the high number of car sprites from different angles, almost make it feel like it does, it looks absolutely great for 1987 game.

The HUD is very busy and informative, with lots of meters, and warning lights,
    I like how you need to collect the green fuel, and can get bonus red fuel by taking out cars and bikes, but need to be going a faster speed to get the the red ones!

The turrets, mines, puddles make it that bit more challenging too.

What's the icing on the cake though is the weapon upgrades that are dropped onto your car, the UZI canon, cruise missile that will take out any cars up the road, the electro shield,

but the best one of all, the ridiculous Nitro Injector that puts you into hyper speed!

drool.bmp

There's quite a lot going on the game that keeps it fresh and is backed up by very fun and solid gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Isn't Road Blasters more of a road based shooter than a racer? I know there's a time limit, but I always thought of it more action based than racing.

It is a signature game though, & an 80's classic for sure

EnterNow wrote: »
    Isn't Road Blasters more of a road based shooter than a racer? I know there's a time limit, but I always thought of it more action based than racing.

It is a signature game though, & an 80's classic for sure

Using the Racer genre is just putting it vaguely I guess.

I guess it's a "Road Based action shooter and racer" as you're racing against the clock/fuel guage.

Don't worry, I'll get to learn the names of all these sub genres eventually! ;)

waveform wrote: »
    Using the Racer genre is just putting it vaguely I guess.

I guess it's a "Road Based action shooter and racer" as you're racing against the clock/fuel guage.

Don't worry, I'll get to learn the names of all these sub genres eventually! ;)

Ah it's not set in stone, I just never percieved it as a racing game. I wouldn't particularly call Chase HQ or SCI race games either, they're far more action orientated. I suppose your racing against the clock though, so maybe they are.

Sega Rally, Daytona, Ridge Racer etc to me would be typical arcade racers

Ah it's not set in stone, I just never percieved it as a racing game. I wouldn't particularly call Chase HQ or SCI race games either, they're far more action orientated. I suppose your racing against the clock though, so maybe they are.

Sega Rally, Daytona, Ridge Racer etc to me would be typical arcade racers

Yep, they would be in the truer definition of the word.

I just call any arcade game where you're driving a car a "racer!" :p

In a similar vein there was Stunrunner which was good fun too.

And then there was also a 3rd Chase HQ game that no one seems to really remember except for me.

DinoRex wrote: »

Man I loved S.T.U.N Runner it was all kinds of awesome, there was a sit down machine in an arcade around my way. I spent a lot of time and money straddling that unit

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    Man I loved S.T.U.N Runner it was all kinds of awesome, there was a sit down machine in an arcade around my way. I spent a lot of time and money straddling that unit

Loved STUN Runner too, what a seriously cool cab it was too.

Unfortunately, the C64 box art was nothing like the reality of its home conversion

Loved STUN Runner too, what a seriously cool cab it was too.

Unfortunately, the C64 box art was nothing like the reality of its home conversion

I know, I was really excited about the home version on C64 right until I loaded the game. The graphics were total garbage and the gameplay mechanic was nothing short of atrocious compared to the arcade.

And then there was also a 3rd Chase HQ game that no one seems to really remember except for me.

So I guess this must be you with the big thick "insert county here" accent on ya? ;)

Since you are the only one that remembers the game! :p

Nice to see polygons, you can tell there were heading that way from Roadblasters.

The original Chase HQ arcade is ****ing though. Make one mistake on the 3rd stage, and you've no chance of taking out that porsche. :(

Wow, the megadrive port of RoadBlasters looks absolutely fantastic!

So good you could almost confuse it for the arcade version from a distance!

waveform wrote: »
    So I guess this must be you with the big thick "insert county here" accent on ya? ;)

Since you are the only one that remembers the game! :p

Nice to see polygons, you can tell there were heading that way from Roadblasters.

The original Chase HQ arcade is ****ing though. Make one mistake on the 3rd stage, and you've no chance of taking out that porsche. :(

Not Stunrunner. There was a 3rd Chase HQ game that would switch up between a in car view and an out of car view. It was a lot of fun, they had it in Dublin airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,055 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This bad boy?:

does look loads of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

lads before i go starting a new thread does anyone know the best place i can purchase electrical components online. i know of the usual lark, farnell, radionics etc but ive never really bought from anywhere.

looking for the likes of kynar wire, switches,RCA jacks etc, also looking for a new soldering iron or tips for my lidl one as they keep eroding into nothing!

advice on a decent roll of solder to buy too would be nice, ive been on cheap as fook stuff for years, want to do a few AV mods though and the bad solder makes it an awkward job.

Not Stunrunner. There was a 3rd Chase HQ game that would switch up between a in car view and an out of car view. It was a lot of fun, they had it in Dublin airport.

Ooops, i joined 2 halves of 2 different sentences together when reading your post!

Was only looking up about the series in Wikipedia the other day,
    the 3rd one is called Super Chase:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This bad boy?:

does look loads of fun.

Oh didn't know there was a modern version. Would love to play something like that. The best bits in GTA4 where the Chase HQ style chase sections.

Super Chase there is the one that was in Dublin Airport, was a huge amount of fun. But doesn't seem to be terribly well known.

I loved Cisco Heat as well. Suffered from horrible home conversions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SCI,'special criminal investigation' was all I could think of, never heard of 'super chase' before.

I like games like this where if you went off the road for a split second or barely tipped another car it did not result in death/crash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement