Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Started Skyrim.

Suddenly remembered how much I despise shoddy fantasy stories. Don't know how anyone can write such nonsense :pac:

Nice graphics, though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Glad to know I'm not the only one who can't stand corny fantasy. I find it unbearable!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't mind fantasy but badly written fantasy is god awful and totally put me off western RPGs for a long time, one of which was oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

EnterNow wrote: »
    Atavan found a life size cardboard cutout of that pic

huiq1w.jpg

Started Skyrim. Suddenly remembered how much I despise shoddy fantasy stories. Don't know how anyone can write such nonsense pacman.gif Nice graphics, though wink.gif
    did somebody steal your sweet roll?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The writing may be dreadful, but my word there's a lot to do in the game. A more streamlined version of Oblivion, really, but already kind of overwhelmed by how much stuff there is to do and find!
    Sera wrote: »
    did somebody steal your sweet roll?

tumblr_ludlrxAvaw1qijkmdo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

arrow-in-the-knee-tattoo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

This one is going to take a little explaining!

Is it a reference to Skyrim or something?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't mind fantasy but badly written fantasy is god awful and totally put me off western RPGs for a long time, one of which was oblivion.

TBH it was badly written cliched Jrpgs that put me off non western rpgs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

TBH it was badly written cliched Jrpgs that put me off non western rpgs.

They can be bad as well but they aren't all badly written either. Also I find that with JRPGs usually a good fun battle system can save the game. The Tales of games are badly written and cliche but the battle systems are so much fun that they are worth playing. The battle systems in WRPGs are usually awful and really rely on good writing and character building.

I also prefer the worlds that JRPGs build. WRPGs are almost always boring tolkienesque fantasy or star wars/star trek sci-fi with few exceptions. You won't get something like the Shin Megami Tensei games, Persona, Xenoblade, Earthbound etc. in a western RPG game.

Then there's stuff like Legend of Dragoon which would put anyone off gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It was a shame about Mass Effect.

The story-line was quite good and the universe was interesting... too bad the actual evil plot in the game didn't make any sense whatsoever. You spend the whole game chasing Saren around the galaxy which is pretty cool, but he's looking for the Conduit which will... eh.. bring him back to the citadel which he had full security clearance to in beginning anyway... and then Soverign just blasts it's way in anyway. The whole plot was utterly pointless!

The plot was even worse in Mass Effect 2, the whole reason for the Reapers return was really stupid. Still the game is saved by Shepards character building and some decent characters... other than Jack. I'd love if Bioware could get some decent writers or maybe even team up with Obsidian.

Mass Effect is bland sci-fi to the extreme. Couldn't care less about the overarching lore.

What's notable about it, however, and what propels it into the realm of having a 'great' story is the level of involvement the player can have with how it plays out. Haven't played a game in a long, long time that morphs so notably to match players' choices. Fascinated to see where they go with the third game and the huge amount of permutations they're going to have to deal with. I remember reading the thread on it when it was released, and by the end pretty much everyone had hugely different outcomes.

TBH, original settings and stories aren't really games' crowning glory. The few a year that breakthrough are really exceptions in a medium that tends to rob over-liberally from superior works.

Some aboslute bargains in the Game.co.uk sale guys. Xenoblade for 9.98. disaster day of crisis and Metroid Prime Trilogy for a criminal 0.98 (yes 0.98). Shadows of the Damned and El Shaddai for 4.98. Prices in sterling.

Not bad at all. Popping into town shortly (woo, new David Fincher film day!) so will see if in-store has any comparable deals.

The 'rents couldn't find a copy of Xenoblade anywhere before Christmas so still trying to track down one. Says it's out of stock online though... And have been waiting for El Shaddai to inevitably drop down to the price of an expensive pint!

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Some aboslute bargains in the Game.co.uk sale guys. Xenoblade for 9.98. disaster day of crisis and Metroid Prime Trilogy for a criminal 0.98 (yes 0.98). Shadows of the Damned and El Shaddai for 4.98. Prices in sterling.

They're all out of stock.

Should have bought Dodonpachi when Andrew76 pointed it out the other day. bugger :(

What's notable about it, however, and what propels it into the realm of having a 'great' story is the level of involvement the player can have with how it plays out. Haven't played a game in a long, long time that morphs so notably to match players' choices. Fascinated to see where they go with the third game and the huge amount of permutations they're going to have to deal with. I remember reading the thread on it when it was released, and by the end pretty much everyone had hugely different outcomes.

TBH that's pretty much every western RPG ever though, and you can find much better written ones like Deus Ex, Fallout 1 and 2 or Planescape Torment.

I was amazed when I found a copy of Xenoblade in Game on Dawson Street last month. Haven't had a chance to play it yet though.

But saw a guy asking for it in there on Saturday... then later that day he was asking again in HMV... I don't think I was following him.

TBH that's pretty much every western RPG ever though, and you can find much better written ones like Deus Ex, Fallout 1 and 2 or Planescape Torment.

Yes, but where Mass Effect differs is in scale. I can't recall any other games that remain consistent to player authorship between sequels. There's a few shortcuts for sure, but it's admirable ambition that is largely successful. It's why Im looking forward to ME3.

I actually think ME1 is hohum in terms of gameplay and story. Would take Deus Ex over it anyday. But ME2 illustrated Bioware's grander ambitions to great effect while positively streamlining the gameplay. Would still take Deus Ex over it anyday ;)

Old school western RPGs from the 80's did it a lot. Suikoden is another one that did it. None to the same extent as Mass Effect though. It's impressive what they did but a lot of it is just going through the same story with a few nods to the previous game thrown in as far as I can tell.

And yes I'd definitely take the Deus Ex games over it. For all the improvements ME2 brought to the combat it was still really bad. Perhaps we'll get a game that follows Mass Effects example but with a decent writer and some decent gameplay.

• Advertisement

Think you're underselling the combat a bit there. It's far from perfect, but thought it was a huge improvement over part one. Plenty of intense firefights, and the subtle but effective turn based power. It's a bit awkward and the AI needs work but still wholly engaging for what it is.

Sales in town are **** by the way. Rayman Origins, King of fighters and DDPR are all half price in game though.

Oh I'm not underselling it. It felt like a poor mans cover shooter. It was a huge improvement on the first game but I still didn't enjoy the firefights and couldn't wait to get back into the more talky bits.

One of the big problems with ME2 DLC is that it's very combat focused so you're paying extra to have nore of the worst part of the game.

I got Ghost Recon for the 3DS for €20 in HMV earlier...

I also got a new telly.

Oh and a reminder there's still retro beers at mine on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Does anyone know when the virtual console games like the NES Zeldas and the likes will be available to Joe public to download for the 3DS?

I beat Duke Nukem Forever and have come to the conclusion that it's worse than cancer.

Anyone know when the the post starts again, have something being posted over but won it just before chrimbo (nobody was bidding ;) ) and am hoping it might be here for the retro night.

Master of the Universe

I uninstalled Duke Nukem Forever from my PC after about 2 hours of play. Realized that the empty harddrive space was far more valuable!

Seems to be a good time for bidding on ebay alright. Got myself Samurai Showdown 2, complete and boxed for the NGP for about €18 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right looking to make one of those LSDJ gameboys, or at least get one if i find out its really complicated to make one.

anyone know of any good tutorials for modding the gameboy for it?

Master of the Universe

I have a spare one I may be interested in swapping. There's no backlight (the screen has some dead pixels), but it's still usable for LSDJ..has a pro sound mod jack. Might even be good for a dissection to see how it's done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah yeah, sure I could always swap out some stuff into a new case and screen couldnt I?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

You could probably transplant a working screen from another unit in? Depends how hard the pro sound mod is to do, might just be easier to pro sound mod a working one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement