Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote: »
    Still doesn't matter, its T2 ffs :D

I guess as far as throwaway, stupid action films go, there's worse out there :p (just trolling: I do very much like T2 even if I don't think it's a masterpiece).

In Simpsons game terms, I think little beats Putting Challenge:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Very very odd, I was too old for them when they were new.
    I think he was an advertising creation and then turned into a movie star.

I used to hang around with a guy who used to illuminate me in the merits of Russian and European science fiction, so I got to hear all about Solaris and the rest.
    Unfortunately we were invariably very very drunk at these occasions so any and all insights were lost in a haze of cider and a heavy fog of whiskey.
    My missus brought back a shedload of (cough..) ..locally sourced DVDs from China a few years back.
    Worth it alone for the "Engrish" box covers , that use any pic or quote they can get , usually from another film entirely.
    The remake of Solaris was one of them.The box did not disappoint.The review quote, in huge letters on the front of the box was "I'd rather be watching the original" .Classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I guess as far as throwaway, stupid action films go, there's worse out there :p (just trolling: I do very much like T2 even if I don't think it's a masterpiece).

In Simpsons game terms, I think little beats Putting Challenge:

Ah just because there's no Kanji in it doesn't make it bad/mediocre...as far as action/sci-fi films go, T2 is a masterpiece without any doubt. It's just one of those flukes that capture something special, & is impossible to repeat...as we've seen in the sequels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's another case of being too late on the bandwagon for me. I only saw it for the first time on RTE when I was around fourteen-fifteen. So enjoyed it I most certainly did, but didn't fall in love with it the way I surely would had I caught it in the cinema back at release. Even with my strong level of disdain towards James Cameron (Avatar can **** off and die in a hole, horrible piece of expensive crap), I can appreciate the man made some damn good action films, even if they're not Akira ;). The sequels are a ****ing joke though: Salvation is one of the biggest pieces of **** I've ever sat through.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Bonestorm , Lee Carvallo's Putting Challange and larry the looter are the 3 that come to mind.Oh and the MMO one :Earthland Realms(South Park did it better).
    is that the article by the way?

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2011/06/simpsons-video-game-history/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Akira and Terminator 2? That's my own personal Sophie's Choice right there.

Did anyone ever play Virtual Springfield? It had a number of the games from the series lying the arcade. I only recall Larry the Looter which was unbeatable, and a strange Doom clone against Dolph, Kearney etc... you could play in the Kwik-E-Mart.

Alas, my copy of the 'game' disappeared many years ago :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should check out Stalker ciderdude, much better than the game of the same name! And the game was pretty good!

Ah Stalker, another boring and pretentious film. However it's also fantastic and well worth sitting through until the end. I really should raid my college's library for their DVDs before I'm thrown out, they've got some really obscure hard to find stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,437 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Did anyone ever play Virtual Springfield? It had a number of the games from the series lying the arcade. I only recall Larry the Looter which was unbeatable, and a strange Doom clone against Dolph, Kearney etc... you could play in the Kwik-E-Mart.

Alas, my copy of the 'game' disappeared many years ago :(

Hah! I remember that. I think the Doom clone had you as Apu in first person with a broom stick.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah Stalker, another boring and pretentious film. However it's also fantastic and well worth sitting through until the end. I really should raid my college's library for their DVDs before I'm thrown out, they've got some really obscure hard to find stuff there.

DCU? Did some serious library raiding in my time there, really got me into world cinema. Plus the Sopranos :pac:
    o1s1n wrote: »
    Hah! I remember that. I think the Doom clone had you as Apu in first person with a broom stick.

Yeah. It was also really gory :eek: Or at least it seemed so as a wee lad!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DCU? Did some serious library raiding in my time there, really got me into world cinema. Plus the Sopranos :pac:

Yep, got me into Kurosawa with 7 samurai :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I have a boxed copy of Virtual Springfield in lock up. Great game it was too, I wonder if it's increased in value at all? :confused:

There's a complete copy on ebay for the grand total of... a fiver :P

I might still have the big box lying around actually, although more likely it has been thrown out at this point :( The game disc is one of the few items of mine that has genuinely gone missing - haven't the foggiest where it got to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

There's a complete copy on ebay for the grand total of... a fiver :P

Ah well, I'll hold on to it so. Big box PC game collecting is something everyone should do. It's how those storage companies stay in business!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Have some awesome gaming gear on the way. Sadly, all the postman could manage today was bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I have some nice gaming things on the way too. Today though all I got was boxing gloves, and some tights :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Super Mario Bros with a Portal gun:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You should check out Stalker ciderdude, much better than the game of the same name! And the game was pretty good!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ah Stalker, another boring and pretentious film. However it's also fantastic and well worth sitting through until the end.

Well, I'll actually raise you and say forget that and go straight for Roadside Picnic, the superior novel from which the movie and game is based, and rather magnificent it is too.
    Well worth finding, easily available about as it was republished in a scifi classics series.
    Plenty of great books to be found, unfortunately there is a near retro science fiction cadre of readers, so many shops only stock the very latest novels and big authors series, the rest of the genre, stretching back to James White, Johm Brunner, Frank Herbert and James Blish, tend to be forgotten.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Couple of days ago I think, the one day I didn't give Adverts.ie a quick browse, and someone flogged a GBA Micro for twelve euro with games. Stings like a bitch lads, stings like a bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sera wrote: »

For the second time today Sera....w...t....f :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

EnterNow wrote: »
    For the second time today Sera....w...t....f :D
    when was the first?
    if it's my post you should expect wtfery

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Couple of days ago I think, the one day I didn't give Adverts.ie a quick browse, and someone flogged a GBA Micro for twelve euro with games. Stings like a bitch lads, stings like a bitch.

I told the seller they were mad to have it up at that price, they should have looked for much more.

Sera wrote: »

I was very excited until I noticed they were children, now I need to have another shower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I was very excited until I noticed they were children, now I need to have another shower

Pl-pedo-bear.png

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Pl-pedo-bear.png

Says the man that was waiting with baited breathe for the time when it was appropriate to fancy Emma Watson :P

Ah well come on whos not guilty of that, well if your older than I am you need mega pedo seal of approval

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

She's 2 years older than me. I'm so in there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement