Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not really. I think you just need a memory card and a way to get a file on to that memory card, think it's a cable you need and then the game to run the modified save file, there's a few of them like the original splinter cell and mechcommander. The Wii is good for emulation but the Xbox is much better since it's basically a PC so it was easier to convert the emulators to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not really. I think you just need a memory card and a way to get a file on to that memory card, think it's a cable you need and then the game to run the modified save file, there's a few of them like the original splinter cell and mechcommander. The Wii is good for emulation but the Xbox is much better since it's basically a PC so it was easier to convert the emulators to it.
    Well i have all the emus i need- SNES,GBA,Sega 16bit consoles,TG16 and DOS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I'm looking to softmod my own Xbox for the better emulation. Emulation is good on the Wii but far from perfect. the SNES and NES one annoys me because the vertical resolution is all wrong and the GBA emulator is really poor with lots of timing issues that cause it to resync every minute or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I've an Original Xbox about the place but the Disk Drive is knackered, is there anything I can do with it?

You can softmod it as well but you'll have to open the Xbox up and use the method were you hot swap the hard drive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Well I'm looking to softmod my own Xbox for the better emulation. Emulation is good on the Wii but far from perfect. the SNES and NES one annoys me because the vertical resolution is all wrong and the GBA emulator is really poor with lots of timing issues that cause it to resync every minute or so.

sorry by the way , I'm still waiting for my mate to drop back my xbox>usb cable (where it treats a usb stick as an xbox memory card) which lets you softmod it without all that faffing with hard disks.I'll mail him again for it.

sorry by the way , I'm still waiting for my mate to drop back my xbox>usb cable (where it treats a usb stick as an xbox memory card) which lets you softmod it without all that faffing with hard disks.I'll mail him again for it.

Will you stop, you'd be doing me a favour sure and I can wait so there's no reason to be sorry :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've an Original Xbox about the place but the Disk Drive is knackered, is there anything I can do with it?

Well, you don't really need the drive at all, as you can use your own network cable to stream everything from the PC via XBMC.
    You should be able to hook up a fairly standard DVD drive, should be plenty of walkthroughs for that.
    Also, you can install, images say, straight to the HDD and play the.. images, straight off, I'm saying nothing else til my lawyer gets here!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

has anyone tried any of the retro console plug-n-play consoles in argos?(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saw this and I reckon I know what Retr0 is getting for Jebus Day!
    Sera better get her needles out!!

gHggS.jpg
    Thanks the Da Rage's FB page for this one.

• Advertisement

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    has anyone tried any of the retro console plug-n-play consoles in argos?(

Yep, I have a few of them from over the years, I have the two Namco ones, the Capcom one, I've the C64 one amongst others.
    They sound more fun than they are and you inevitably find yourself playing something else pretty soon after switching them on!

I believe there is a hack or two for the C64 stick, must give it a lash some day...

edit
    Looks like there is all sorts of crazy stuff you can do!
    But the big ones for me are the inclusion of a hacked PS/2 keyboard and a Disk Drive, and via the Disk Drive an SD2IDE card reader system.
    This in theory would mean you could have a C64 PnP joystick that will play any C64 game at all (once its in D64 format).
    You can also introduce a 2nd joystick port and lots of other mental things!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C64_Direct-to-TV

I'd wear that jumper with pride.

I'd wear that jumper with pride.

You'd have to get Sera to include zip off arms, so's you could wear it as a tank top even in the stifling summer heat...

On second thoughts it's Ireland, maybe heat isn't such a problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

cool jumper
    i bought a dreamcast today and it came with no memory card thing iam just wondering when bought new did the dreamcast come with a memory card or did you have to buy em separate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Had to buy separately. Don't recall many, if any consoles coming with a memory card. Had my PS1 for years before I finally got one :P

you would think they would build the memory into the console i mean its only a few mbs they hold at best. probably a money making scam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Same with every console that came with a memory card really. It's all a money making scam, extra controllers, pointless periphrals etc..

But you can pick up Dreamcast VMU's for mere pennies on ebay. Brand new one for just over a fiver

Yeah it was a money making scam, and a very good one. Consoles before the PS1 such as the Saturn, Mega CD, 3DO, CDi etc. all had battery backed up memory built into the system. Only problem was after about 3 years the battery would go deleting all your save data. However you could usually buy a cartridge to back saves up which was cheaper than having 5 or 6 memory cards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, you don't really need the drive at all, as you can use your own network cable to stream everything from the PC via XBMC.
    You should be able to hook up a fairly standard DVD drive, should be plenty of walkthroughs for that.
    Also, you can install, images say, straight to the HDD and play the.. images, straight off, I'm saying nothing else til my lawyer gets here!

Cheers will look into that.

By the way I've notified the police and they are probably on their way to your house now.

just bought one, thanks for the link.
    some scam though on part of the console makers.

• Advertisement

Well, for most of the years of gaming you brought your save games with you, in the form of either level passwords or battery saves on carts.
    Mem cards make more sense viewed from that point of history rather than in hindsight.
    Mem cards are more like the carts, you carry your saves with you, portable, to your friends home, arcades where applicable.
    The type of memory used in memory cards was not present in the consoles, so everything from the PS2 back had a mem card system.
    It is only with the Xbox that this is changed and so started a trend.
    The PS3 and 360 have no game save portability unless you count some sort of usb service.
    And it is arguable that this is a feature that we have lost rather than a feature we have gained.

Edit, well ok the Cdi, Saturn and 3do had internal saves but that seemed like a hindrance tbh, and when the battery goes the save is gone, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,439 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I always liked memory cards. There's something cool about looking back on a saved Gran Turismo lap you did over ten years ago!

There was nothing cool about getting Tomb Raider for christmas and realising you had to fork out another 25 euros when ever the next time you were in town was just to make the game playable :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

There was nothing cool about getting Tomb Raider for christmas and realising you had to fork out another 25 euros when ever the next time you were in town was just to make the game playable :(

Or, at least, parents who'd go the whole yard when getting an xmas gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cool boxart for Back to the Future game DVD release:

standard_box_shot_400x400.png

Shame the games are so-so :( Playing through them at the moment but they're all a bit weird and rigid. Enjoyable enough but not BttF quality.

Rage just got in some nice stuff. Some really good GB games and some good GBA games boxed in nice condition it seems.

Also some great Gamecube games inclusing Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario 2, Baten Kaitos and SKies of Arcadia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

Get your wallets out,snes hotel console system posted in the auction thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Doing a bit of work on the new PC I'm building for my Candy Cab Hyperspin setup today.

Runs like a dream I must say, those Intel Core i5-2500K processors are great when you look at them from a price/performance point of view.
    I have it running at 4.8Ghz and its perfectly stable and not creating excessive heat either.
    It was running at 5.1Ghz but not as stable as I'd like, but not much heat either.

It cost me €180 on amazon, if anyone is building a new system its worth a look.

I know someone is going to come in and say its overkill for emulation but to get accurate emulation you need a beefy processor and I'm running more than just pong on this thing :D

The time it takes to boot from button press to fully loaded Hyperspin setup is just over 10 seconds and I'm working on that ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement