Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic/chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I just started a new contract in the city today. Northern Line to Bank... Had forgotten what a horrible nightmare it is. Even going in early and hopping on the tube at 7:45 it's mobbed. Doesn't help that the weather is cold enough that I have to wear a jacket over my suit but then I'm insufferably warm for the tube journey. Everyone crawling over each other at Bank when trying to get out of the station isnt exactly what you need before a long day in the office. Really hate London sometimes :-(

Anyone have any tube tips for managing the nightmare for the next few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Playboy wrote: »
    I just started a new contract in the city today. Northern Line to Bank... Had forgotten what a horrible nightmare it is. Even going in early and hopping on the tube at 7:45 it's mobbed. Doesn't help that the weather is cold enough that I have to wear a jacket over my suit but then I'm insufferably warm for the tube journey. Everyone crawling over each other at Bank when trying to get out of the station isnt exactly what you need before a long day in the office. Really hate London sometimes :-(

Anyone have any tube tips for managing the nightmare for the next few months?

Do what I do walk it, 55 minutes each way is much more pleasant , and I no longer have worry about Bob Crowe

Do what I do walk it, 55 minutes each way is much more pleasant , and I no longer have worry about Bob Crowe

Not sure I could do it in that time .. Plus it's raining most mornings at the moment :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Not sure I could do it in that time .. Plus it's raining most mornings at the moment :/

Put the start an end into google maps it be pretty accurate on the walking time

Rain what rain

Put the start an end into google maps it be pretty accurate on the walking time

Rain what rain

2 hrs 9 mins.... Don't think I'll be doing that each way every day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

2 hrs 9 mins.... Don't think I'll be doing that each way every day!

Have you considered using the Overground as part of the route? Overground to Whitechapel, then either walk (1.3 miles or so according to Google Maps) or Tube it to Bank from there. I Overground my way into Euston these days (I used to catch the Jubilee & Met line into Euston square previously) and it's a much more pleasant journey, not to mention generally less crowded...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

From Tooting, right? That should be close enough to the Thameslink rail route. If you can make your way to, say, Tulse Hill then the Brighton or Mitcham trains will run you right into the heart of London. Blackfriars or City Thameslink aren't 5min walk to Bank station

Reekwind wrote: »
    From Tooting, right? That should be close enough to the Thameslink rail route. If you can make your way to, say, Tulse Hill then the Brighton or Mitcham trains will run you right into the heart of London. Blackfriars or City Thameslink aren't 5min walk to Bank station

Balham/Streatham Hill are the closest rail stations. I'm really trying to get to St Paul's but I walk from Bank. Any train journey I look at involves changing and takes at least an extra 20 mins. I guess it's a choice between longer journey versus comfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

A friend of a friend is currently staying in an absolute kip in Ilford at the moment and is keen to get out of there. If anyone knows of any spare rooms for rent, let me know :)

(I've already advised the usual gumtree, spare room etc)

Thanks!

It's the wrong question to be asking, but I'm really wondering which part of Ilford they were in :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

philologos wrote: »
    It's the wrong question to be asking, but I'm really wondering which part of Ilford they were in :)

I don't know the girl personally, she's my friend's friend. She's moved over from Cork and her current abode apparently has been invaded by mice :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I don't know the girl personally, she's my friend's friend. She's moved over from Cork and her current abode apparently has been invaded by mice :eek:
    God the poor girl, happened in one of the B&Bs I was in when I moved here first - I was out of there like a shot! What sort of price rage is she looking for?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Ok I really want to know, how did Fysh end up in hospital on Saturday? Someone tell me please!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Scarinae wrote: »
    Ok I really want to know, how did Fysh end up in hospital on Saturday? Someone tell me please!

On our way from the Goodlife Diner in Camden to the Brewdog I was checking the map on my phone to make sure we were going the right way, and didn't notice the metal fencepost approaching until I dented it with my face.

TL, DR: I lost a game of chicken to a lamppost :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Moving over this fri morn!! Giddy and a little nervous!! Anyone got any connections in national press I wonder, as I work in advertising and looking to get in with a national title. Just thought I would put it out there..........

See you all for a brewskie at done stage!!

frAG

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I work for a national title. I just checked our internal vacancies and there doesn't seem to be anything in advertising right now, but pm me and maybe I can pass your CV to HR for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

I work for a large magazine publisher and they have a few ad sales positions recruiting at the moment - sent you a PM with a link.

Good luck with the move frag420, keep your eyes open for the next Beers :)

(Mental note: get on with organising next beers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

Fysh wrote: »
    Good luck with the move frag420, keep your eyes open for the next Beers :)

(Mental note: get on with organising next beers!)

Looking forward to it already :)

hey guys,

here a week so far. had one interview last night with national press title, have another on Monday and another with a magazine publisher.

May I ask silvervixen who you work with in case I have already been in contact with them.

Very interested in beers..........BEERS!!

Lastly does anyone know of any similar sights for toutless.ie where I can get gig tickets at cost price? Need Deftones ticket bad, real bad!!

Thanks folks and looking forward to some of you propping me up at the next beers!!

frAg

frag420 wrote: »
    hey guys,

here a week so far. had one interview last night with national press title, have another on Monday and another with a magazine publisher.

May I ask silvervixen who you work with in case I have already been in contact with them.

Lastly does anyone know of any similar sights for toutless.ie where I can get gig tickets at cost price? Need Deftones ticket bad, real bad!!

Thanks folks and looking forward to some of you propping me up at the next beers!!

frAg

According to Google, ScarletMist is likely your best bet for ticket exchanges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

hey guys,

frAg

Hey dude, hope all is going well on your first week here.

Although I haven't used it other than to browse, Scarlet Mist is a site somewhat similar to Toutless.ie. You can set up alerts when tickets for the concert you are seeking become available (usually some become available at the last minute for sold out gigs, sure ye know yourself). On a side note the last album by Deftones isn't bad at all, only album of theirs I've actually listened to!

See ye at the next beers.

http://www.scarletmist.com/

Hah, Kyle beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

And if you come across someone selling 2 Deftones tickets then let me know cause I'm looking for one myself.

Cheers folks. Yeah the most recent album is epic and like all others is a grower!!

If i see more than one ticket available il buy both if I can afford em and you can have that or if I can't afford it il send you link bro!!

frAg

Cheers folks. Yeah the most recent album is epic and like all others is a grower!!

If i see more than one ticket available il buy both if I can afford em and you can have that or if I can't afford it il send you link bro!!

frAg
    Yeah, if you see a pair for sale give me a shout in advance and we can sort something out.

I waited for the album to be released before I invested in a ticket but sure it sold out in no time.

Not seen em since 06 in Dublin. Two amazing nights so another is well overdue!!

I haven't seen them since 2000! :eek:

I've set up an alert on that site should any tickets become available!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Gah I'm feeling kinda bored today, anyone know if there's anything good on tonight anywhere, or feel like dong something?

Hey guys, bit of a long shot but I thought I would ask anyway. I've been asked to a second round interview/assessment next week. Part of this will mean me doing a presentation. Now here is the issue, my laptop packed in at weekend, buttons not working etc, glorified web browser now!

Does anyone know anywhere that I can use a pc with PowerPoint for a few hrs over a day or two to put my presentation together. I checked local library but they have a 30 min limit. Ideally somewhere central but will travel as want this job baaaaaad!!

Any help you can provide will equate to alcoholic beverages on one of your famous boards beers!!

Cheers

frAg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Does anyone know anywhere that I can use a pc with PowerPoint for a few hrs over a day or two to put my presentation together. I checked local library but they have a 30 min limit. Ideally somewhere central but will travel as want this job baaaaaad!!

Not sure what library you checked, but in H&F you can book a computer for 3 hours for £2.

http://www.lbhf.gov.uk/Directory/Leisure_and_Culture/Libraries/Computers/35904_Computer_use_in_libraries.asp

Advertisement