Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic/chat thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

My buddy has just moved to London (well he's staying in a hostel atm) and is looking for a house share and a job so keep the eyes peeled everyone!

Job-wise he'll probably do anything to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

Where's Grandad? - "Where’s Grandad? will be a place for Irish pop-cultural archaeology. We’ll dig up forgotten (or wilfully ignored) “treasures”, polish them off, and put them on display. Then use our index fingers to, er, type stuff…that may help unpack their meaning(s)."

interesting stuff from home. file beside Broadsheet and Come Here To Me in your favourites list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Sweet Jesus it's roasting!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A perfect day for sitting in the park and enjoying the sun before next week's inevitable assault of monarchist pomp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Fysh wrote: »
    A perfect day for sitting in the park and enjoying the sun before next week's inevitable assault of monarchist pomp :)

exactly. Bit concerned about this monarchyfest next week, talks of a street party on my road, not really into waving little unions jacks about :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

growler wrote: »
    exactly. Bit concerned about this monarchyfest next week, talks of a street party on my road, not really into waving little unions jacks about :eek:

You could always wind them up by asking why they're waving around a butchered version of the Genoan flag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You could always wind them up by asking why they're waving around a butchered version of the Genoan flag :D

Except that would be the flag of England rather than the Union Flag!! You could just point out St Patrick's Cross within the union flag!! (Norn'ners, ime, hate that their own cross remains unrecognised!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

ye can always put the whole bloody thing on ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

Not into all these Union Jacks flying around the place myself but I'm not complaining about the extra long bank holiday weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

growler wrote: »

Meh. When in Rome and such. Let the Brits have their fun.

I'm fleeing next weekend anyhow :)

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Except that would be the flag of England rather than the Union Flag!! You could just point out St Patrick's Cross within the union flag!! (Norn'ners, ime, hate that their own cross remains unrecognised!)

Right yes, and of course the union flag is famous for not incorporating the Flag of England in any way....

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Going to be spending the weekend in Galway so I'll have my own kind of celebration there which will include pints but most likely no flags :D

This weekend? Will pm/text as well to invite :)

Bump for the Off Topic thread..

How's everyone finding d'olympics??
    Commute's a doddle for me as the station (Leytonstone) is empty! Did everyone take leave for this week??? Walk about Westfield yesterday just outside the stadium, and sat beside some members of the Japanese swim team in Wagamama who I am sure were laughing at my chopsticks handling.
    How ye finding it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Went to the early volleyball session on Saturday - no problem getting there but usual issues with infrequent tube users with kids on the way back. Surprised that some of them didn't actually fall between platform and tracks.

This morning went to handball (nothing like ours, not in a ball alley) at the Copper Box in the Olympic park. Short 42 bus ride to Liverpool St follower by usual commuter train (class 315 EMU for any spotters) faily empty out to Olympic park. Came back on high speed trains toSt Pancras followed by a 63 bus; all in all much easier than usual journey. London Bridge is my closest station but avoiding it due to likelihood of panic/congestion.

my train into Charing Cross this morning was quieter that normal. Hope this continues. Had a half day in work so will have to wait until tomorrow to see how the journey back to the South East goes at around 6pm.

I went to the see the men's and women's road races at Hyde Park Corner at the weekend. Both were lots of fun. Not so fun - queuing to get into Hyde Park for BT London Live today and being refused entry with my empty reusable water bottle. A good few people were walking away after not being let in with bags of various shapes and sizes so make sure to check out the rules before heading down there...

Looking forward to the women's boxing and freestyle wrestling which I have tickets for...will get to see Katie Taylor's semi-final if she makes it through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've been quite surprised actually at how quiet its been. Liverpool St station is really no busier than usual at peak hours which is great. The train isn't rammed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fenny

It's hilarious how quiet it's been - have been getting on half-empty carriages on the tube all weekend and today. Let's have the Olympics every week, lads.

I spoke to soon... Stuck on a bus as the central line is kaputt!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Had a brilliant weekend. Tennis on Saturday, Football Sunday and Table Tennis/Olympic park yesterday. Sometimes I can't believe this is the same city I live in. Security queues and transport were a doddle (for me anyway), everyone's being really friendly to each other and the atmosphere whenever there's a British athlete is incredible. Hoping to see the Race Walk and Triathlon over the next week and have tickets for the Women's Boxing finals, so fingers crossed!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

(I don’t feel like this is dragging up a zombie thread because it was actually designated as a chat thread by the mod)

Someone posted this in another forum and I thought it was hilarious! Edited signs on London transport - here are some of my favourites:

3367659514_c6142563021.jpg

579566151.jpg

41057390_eltonjohn.jpeg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Spotted those on the Daily Fail website yesterday, they're brilliant! Haven't seen any in the flesh though :)

How are things?

Ha, I love the one about Little Hugo! Ive not seen any myself tho bar that one. Hope everyone's well!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Just spent half an hour (at work) looking for more of those pics :o

I'm looking for somewhere to go dancing on Saturday the 27th with some friends. The only requirement is that it is somewhere that will play Fleetwood Mac at some stage. Or will play Fleetwood Mac if we request it.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Thats quite a specific request! Maybe you will have some joy upstairs in Infernos on Clapham common. I'm not recommending the place... just saying that there is a possibility fleetwood mac will be played!

I've been to Sway near Holborn station before:

http://www.swaybar.co.uk/groovy.html

They have Groovy Wonderland downstairs (70s and 80s music) and you can book a booth if you want. Maybe give them a call in advance to see if they'll play the request for you?

thanks for the tips guys. there's actually a whole club night dedicated to Fleetwood Mac on this weekend. a week too early sadly!

iambrazil wrote: »
    thanks for the tips guys. there's actually a whole club night dedicated to Fleetwood Mac on this weekend. a week too early sadly!
    http://www.timeout.com/london/clubs/event/277949/fleetmac-wood-presents-crystal-visions-with-psychemagik

I saw this in the Metro this morning and being a big Fleetwood mac fan , got about excited and thought of this thread and very specific request!

• Advertisement

A friend of a friend is currently staying in an absolute kip in Ilford at the moment and is keen to get out of there. If anyone knows of any spare rooms for rent, let me know :)

(I've already advised the usual gumtree, spare room etc)

Thanks!

Advertisement