Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

Rabbit Run, John Updike , so far so good. Will probably read the whole series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rabbit Run, John Updike , so far so good. Will probably read the whole series.

You really, really should. :)

In addition to Rabbit Redux, Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest, he did a small novel, Rabbit Remembered that is tucked away in a short story collection and is a sequel to the Rabbit series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood. I read the first part of that trilogy, Oryx and Crake, years ago and found it absolutely brilliant. But then forgot about it because it took a good while before The Year Of The Flood was published. It's great to be rediscovering that story again. And it's even more relevant now.

Gonna read the third book as soon as I finish this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

working my way through the entire collection of Spike Milligans war memoirs.they are the most irrevelant books about WWII i've ever read.hilarious
    Do you mean irreverent? :)
    The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood. I read the first part of that trilogy, Oryx and Crake, years ago and found it absolutely brilliant. But then forgot about it because it took a good while before The Year Of The Flood was published. It's great to be rediscovering that story again. And it's even more relevant now.

Gonna read the third book as soon as I finish this.
    This might sound silly, but those books have made me think about how I live my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

THE BEANO ANNUAL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown.

A fully documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century...a truly tragic read.

Using council records, autobiographies & firsthand descriptions, Brown allows the great chiefs & warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne & other tribes, to tell us in their own words of the battles, massacres & broken treaties that finally left them demoralized & defeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The Book of Lost Things, John Connoly, I'm really enjoying it. It's the first one of his books I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

Do you mean irreverent? :)

!

woops.i actually meant irrelevant.but it is also irreverent too i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Cosmos by Carl sagan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

MonstaMash wrote: »

A fully documented account of the systematic destruction of the American Indian during the second half of the nineteenth century...a truly tragic read.

Using council records, autobiographies & firsthand descriptions, Brown allows the great chiefs & warriors of the Dakota, Ute, Sioux, Cheyenne & other tribes, to tell us in their own words of the battles, massacres & broken treaties that finally left them demoralized & defeated.
    You should try 'Empire of the Summer Moon' by S. C. Gwynne. It tells the true story of the kidnapping and search for people taken by the Commanches and is the story that the film 'The Searchers' was based on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Iam Reading Ross O'Carroll-Kelly 'Downturn Abbey' at the moment. I got it as a Christmas gift. Ive read about 3/4 of his other books. Last one about 2 years ago. I enjoyed the other ones but Iam struggling to keep reading it after 100 pages-in.

Id give it about 2/10. Dont think I will finish it. The whole 'Ross' story seems a bit drawn out at this stage with this book. Its not funny anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

'Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud' by Brendan Gregg

Great book....if your into that kinda thing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Finished "Stoner" by John Williams, a lost classic, loved it.

Now reading "The Circle" by Dave Eggers and it is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'As I lay dying' by Faulkner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

started the manipulated man by esther vilar...its an eye-opener

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

"The Spinning Heart" by Donal Ryan
    Excellent so far

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Marketing Research in Ireland !!!!

I have an exam tomorrow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

MonstaMash wrote: »

Great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Great book.

Started it and never came back to it. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Try again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Finally finished American Psycho. Jesus that was a letdown. Had meant to read it for a long time, but I couldn't wait to finish it. Got tired of all the designer clothes names and people that look like other people. Skipped the third chapter on pop music. And yeah some fúcked up moments too.

I've read other books by Easton Ellis. Rules of Attraction was by far the best. Less than Zero was alright and Glamorama another long disppointment. Wonder if I'd bother with Imperial Bedrooms, sequel to Less than Zero.

Started I Am Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,661 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oblomov

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Nearest Thing to Crazy by Elizabeth Forbes, seems good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Just started 'Wolf Hall'. 100 pages in and it's not happening for me just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

working my way through the entire collection of Spike Milligans war memoirs.they are the most irrevelant books about WWII i've ever read.hilarious

Spike was on the Late Late:

Gaybo: How long were you in North Africa?

Spike: 6'4".

Still cracks me up.

Rereading Bonfire of the Vanities after I watched the Wolf of Wall Street. The broker in the book reminded me of the De Caprio character, he's a "Master of the Universe" and hasn't many redeeming qualities.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished The Rocky Road by Dunphy and really enjoyed it, I admire his honesty, to come out and denounce the Charlton regime during Italia '90 while the whole country was in party mode took serious balls, the amount of abuse he and his family was a bit ridiculous seeing as he had a valid point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Some old 90s Playboys, classics,

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

Reading the London train written by Tessa Hadley nice and light for me at the moment .usually read Martina Cole luv her books but finding them to be repetitive lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

The Damage Done - Warren Fellows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Beginning to read Philomena by Martin Sixsmith.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement