Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Hunger Games. It caught me by surprise as for some reason I equated it with 'Twilight' in my mind, how wrong was I.

I didn't like The Hunger Games books, films were decent.

I honestly the Twilight Saga though, very tedious at times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I haven't read Lord Of The Rings and always held a weird smugness about the fact.
    I might just though. See if it's a fantasy land I could lose myself in...

Your not missing much, its a good plot but very slow moving, too much time spent on tedious descriptions

I'm reading the timetravelers wife, very good so far

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I haven't read Lord Of The Rings and always held a weird smugness about the fact.

I find Tolkien to be a very boring writer. Amazingly detailed world, but it reads more like a textbook at times.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've tried Terry Pratchett too but I find the stories a bit of a head melt to keep up with. I don't think I'm ever gonna lose myself in disc world.

Feck it, I might just have to read Harry potter again!

Just finished generation kill. Excellent description of the Iraq war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Just started A Clash Of Kings, I enjoyed A Game Of Thrones, my only grievance would be the seriously detailed explanations of what every single character who appears in it is wearing down to the last thread...yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭prince of peasants

The case of the individual against authority

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Storm of War by Andrew Roberts, very good so far. Much better than his Masters and Commanders book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Stephen King's The Shining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Stephen King's The Shining.

Oh thanks for the reminder. Santa is bringing me Dr Sleep so I will need to quickly re-read the Shinning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

I've tried Terry Pratchett too but I find the stories a bit of a head melt to keep up with. I don't think I'm ever gonna lose myself in disc world.

Feck it, I might just have to read Harry potter again!

Try Monsterous Regiment, it's one of my favouriets, or some of the books that he wrote for kids, like a Hat full of Sky. They are brilliant, and there's some great wit in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I am reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I am trying to read it in French to keep up my language.
    Would you not be better reading a book that was written in French? (Not a criticism just a suggestion - translations are not always the best way to experience the richness of a language!)

I was sick of listening to my friends going on about it when I was younger, so I decided to read it (because I thought I couldn't criticise it if I hadn't read it!), and ended up loving it! (I skipped through all the Tom Bombadil stuff though)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Just finished Truck Fever by Manchán Magan. Cracking yarn, well-written. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The Magpies by Mark Edwards

It is a Psychological Thriller that's a real page-turner. Once you start reading this, you won't put it down until you've read it all. One great read that I started only hours ago, but finished not too long ago (all 398pages)!

Tells the story of a young couple who move into what they believe is their 'Dream Home', only fear is not too far from them as strange incidents start to happen and things progressively get worse.
    You'll find yourself reading and turning page after page to find out more.

It is gripping, full of intrigue and suspense.

Well worth a read in my opinion,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Would you not be better reading a book that was written in French? (Not a criticism just a suggestion - translations are not always the best way to experience the richness of a language!

Yeah I know what you mean Ivy. I actually did a French degree and have read a lot of French Literature. And very depressing literature at that :(. So I am trying to revive my love of French by reading a story I already read in English. It is more of a linguistic exercise.

Though I did read Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) in French and loved it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yeah I know what you mean Ivy. I actually did a French degree and have read a lot of French Literature. And very depressing literature at that :(. So I am trying to revive my love of French by reading a story I already read in English. It is more of a linguistic exercise.

Though I did read Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) in French and loved it. :)
    Ah you're more of an expert than me, so! There is some nice modern French fiction, I like Delphine de Vigan, No et moi is a nice story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Churchill's war lab by Taylor Downing.
    Eh. Wasn't as good as I expected. I preferred Max Hastings finest years - churchill as warlord 1940 - 1945/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Cosmos by Carl Sagan .... dated but still a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Malcolm Gladwell-What the Dog Saw.Very very good book,it's a collection of his best pieces from the New York post over the years. Great,interesting writer. If you're into social science,statistics,crime etc... this is the one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

'Guns Germs and Steel' by Jared Diamond. An excellent book, I'd be meaning to read it for a while and it hasn't disappointed. I'm aware that many historians and geographers disagree with his findings however and I want to read some of their works as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby

great little book and great film too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

RoboRat wrote: »
    Really? Think i'll give it a wide berth so. I heard the interview on Matt Cooper and it sounded interesting.

I enjoyed it and would say its worth a read. (City of bohane)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

You should. It's wonderful. He needed an editor badly in work sections but overall it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The Sea Sisters by Lucy Clarke, seems quite good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭rock chic

beano345 wrote: »
    Anyone read that book "the alchemist?and would you recommend it?

by peter james yes its very good i love any book hes written my favourite author crime, mystery and supernatural brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Empty Mansions - the Mysterious Life of Huguette Clark and the Spending of a Great American Fortune
    by Bill Dedman and Paul Clark Newell Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguette_Clark

She died aged 104 in 2011.
    Her father, W A Clark, was born in 1839, and was the second wealthiest man in the USA - railroads, copper mines, electric power, sold most of the lots in Las Vegas, newspapers, bank.

Amazing houses
    The Clark mansion on 5th Avenue and 75th Street, New York, cost $180 million in today's dollars, and was only occupied for 14 years.
    Le Beau Chateau, New Canaan, New York state, was empty for over sixty years. Huguette didn't live there.
    Bellosguardo, Santa Barbara, California, was inherited by Huguette in 1963, kept unchanged in perfect condition, Huguette never visited.

A $10 million Degas painting of a ballerina was stolen from Huguette's New York apartment - in the possession of a well known collector. She refused to sue to get it back, as she did not want publicity.
    She gave $30 million to her nurse during her life, a similar amount in her (contested) will.

Huguette's last public photo was in 1928. She died in 2011 after spending her last 20 years in hospital although perfectly healthy until near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

I really enjoyed that book. I found it really charming. I would love to see a spin-off or more stories set in the same world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

A Dance with Dragons.1: Dreams and Dust .( Game of Thrones. George R.R. Martin)

I also have 2:( After The Feast) to read when I finish the Dreams and Dust.

Santa knows how to make me happy.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hyperbole And A Half.

A collection of stuff from the blog but I hadn't known about the blog when I got it. Plenty of lolz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement