Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Going to start Catch-22 tonight. Opinions seem to range from "Best Book Ever" to "Impossible to Read", so very unsure what to expect :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Going to start Catch-22 tonight. Opinions seem to range from "Best Book Ever" to "Impossible to Read", so very unsure what to expect :p
    I was much younger when I read it so I may have a different perspective if I read it today but I found it difficult. Good but difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm reading John Connely, Nocturnes. It's a book of short stories, mostly spine chilling stuff. I'm enjoying it, the stories are well written, oddly plausible and it makes a nice change to have a variety of stories. I've got an M.R. James book to start next.

Just finished Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch. Good novel, and very well written but a bit of a slog to get through at times (also a hell of a lot more depressing than I thought it would be)

Have now moved back to non-fiction and have just started The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks. It's a book that's been on my shelf for the past two years or so, glad to finally get around to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am reading "The Brothers: John Foster Dulles, Allen Dulles, and Their Secret World War". If you are interested in American history at all I would strongly recommend it. It really is an eye opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Stephens Kings - 11.22.63, one of the best books ive read in a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

"Faust" - Wolfgang von goethe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Redpunto wrote: »
    Stephens Kings - 11.22.63, one of the best books ive read in a while

Read it a while ago, I was a bit meh about it. I'm a bit of an SK fan, read nearly everything he's written and this sorta disappointed me a bit. If you've not read Doctor Sleep I'd highly recommend it (once you're read The Shining of course :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Would have been one of my favourite books ever if it was edited down to half it's size. As it is, it's really repetitive and it gets dull reading the same jokes and events over and over again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Would have been one of my favourite books ever if it was edited down to half it's size. As it is, it's really repetitive and it gets dull reading the same jokes and events over and over again

Great book, and also responsible for one of the best ever author's replies to a question:

Interviewer: So Mr Heller, are you upset that you never wrote another book as good as Catch-22?

Heller: No, and as far as I'm concerned, neither has anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

The count of monte cristo! Gonna be a long read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Skagboys by Irvine Welsh.

Vile, miserable, seedy and perverted.
    Just like all the rest of his books.
    No happy endings.

Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Philomena for the 2nd time, my family circumstance make this extra special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Animal Farm by George Orwell. I read 1984 but found it tough going at times. AF is more user friendly for me. Liking it so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

About halfway through Harry Harrison's Make Room! Make Room!. It's set in a future New York, which is populated by about 40 million people, and every resource aggressively fought over, down to every square yard of space.

Structurally and thematically, the book is all over the place, but is all the more interesting for that. It has elements of social commentary, police procedural, mystery, and love story, with not much standard science fiction. I read it many years ago but seem to have forgotten most of it, and have only the vaguest inkling of how it ends.

(The film Soylent Green (which I haven't seen) is "loosely based" on this book, apparently. Harrison himself said he was "50% satisfied" with the result and commented on the differences here. )

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I finally finished A Clash of Kings so I'm back to finishing A Short History of Nearly Everything. I'm nearly three quarters of the way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

Stuffocation by james wallman - about our obsession with stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Just finished Citadel by Kate Mosse (the other one, not the supermodel... :P ). I'm not sure what to make of it: I loved it at the start but the ending didn't pan out like I though it would... It's powerful, definitely, and gives a horrifying picture of life under the Nazis; but at the same time, the parallel plot set in 342 A.D.seemed a bit superfluous, like she had to include it so that Citadel worked with the other two in the trilogy. Maybe I need to reread the first two to fully appreciate it (I only read them once, years ago, and can barely remember anything from Sepulchre). I love that she has so many languages in it, though, it makes it far more authentic when the characters are speaking their own languages (French, Occitan, Latin, German, Spanish).

I really, really want to visit Carcassonne now though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Mein kampf

The hundred year old man that climbed out of the window and disappeared.

Enjoying the latter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

mauzo! wrote: »
    Mein kampf

The hundred year old man that climbed out of the window and disappeared.

Enjoying the latter!

I'd like to read that (the latter, that is).

The former, I'd say, is a barrel of laughs.

I'm reading "A Tragedy Waiting to Happen: The Chaotic Life of Brendan O'Donnell" by Tony and JJ Muggivan. I found it in a charity shop a couple of weeks back. I don't normally read this kind of stuff but the incidents took place not far from where I grew up and some of the names mentioned are familiar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'd like to read that (the latter, that is).

The former, I'd say, is a barrel of laughs.

I'm reading "A Tragedy Waiting to Happen: The Chaotic Life of Brendan O'Donnell" by Tony and JJ Muggivan. I found it in a charity shop a couple of weeks back. I don't normally read this kind of stuff but the incidents took place not far from where I grew up and some of the names mentioned are familiar.

You're more than welcome to my copy when I'm done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Mortality by Christopher Hitchens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

The life and adventures of John connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Butterfly In The Typewriter .......... a story on John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy Of Dunces). Just briefly ........ committed suicide because he could not get published ......... mother got it published posthumously ........ won the Pulitzer. The quintessential New Orleans book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am going to re read some books I liked as a teenager, the Walter Macken trilogy, starting with.. The Silent people... I am interested to see will I like them as much many year later. I don't often re read book.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

I love to go back and re-read some books that I really love.

At the moment I am reading A M Homes 'May we be forgiven'. I'm really enjoying it. It's quirky and funny and I'm racing through it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Just started Guilliver's Travels. Back to reading famous Irish pieces since Dracula. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Wizard & Glass by Stephen King (Dark Tower 4) It truly is a smashing read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh

I have very little interest in cycling other than loosely following results of Tour de France or watching the track events at the Olympics but really enjoying it. Armstrong comes across as a particularly nasty individual not just for his doping but mainly his willingness to ruin anyone who crossed him. Best sports book I have read and would highly recommend even to anyone with no interest in cycling or sports in general.

Note on this is that it was originally published in 2012 and updated last year after he was stripped of titles and appeared on Oprah so if picking up a copy look for the updated version.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement