Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

^^ Any of his books are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

^^ Any of his books are.

This is my third Bill Bryson book and I have 2 more lined up to keep me going for a while when I finish this one. His writing is a pleasure to read, always informal but informative and funny at the same time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You've still got one more to go so. It's a trilogy in five parts :pac:
    5live wrote: »
    Nope. Part 5 of a 4 part trilogy;)
    Woops! I'd gotten it all in one book, they obviously missed the last one :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This is my third Bill Bryson book and I have 2 more lined up to keep me going for a while when I finish this one. His writing is a pleasure to read, always informal but informative and funny at the same time.

Have you read the one he wrote about Shakespeare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Have you read the one he wrote about Shakespeare?

Haven't got around to that one yet but I think I'll make my way through all his books eventually. I've read Notes from a Big Country and The Lost Continent. I have bought The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and A Walk in the Woods but haven't read them yet.

• Advertisement

Lovely. Enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭donegal_man

'Jeeves And The Wedding Bells' Sebastian Faulks tribute to P G Wodehouse. Only a couple of chapters in but so far so good, he has the tone of the originals down well and there are already a few laugh out loud moments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

For the Bryson fans, have any of you read A walk in the woods?
    It's laugh out loud funny most of the time.

Can't find his book on Shakespeare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I love Bill Bryson, deeply. Reading his Shakespeare book. Only 50 pages in and it's already brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

david75 wrote: »
    I love Bill Bryson, deeply. Reading his Shakespeare book. Only 50 pages in and it's already brilliant.

I read that years ago and loved it. Must have a root around for it!

• Advertisement

His book Mother Tongue, about the history of the English language is also fascinating and highly entertaining.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Flying Through World War Z at the moment. Very well thought out book and write in a very accessible style. Really enjoying it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just started The Brethren by John Grisham.
    Decent enough so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Haven't got around to that one yet but I think I'll make my way through all his books eventually. I've read Notes from a Big Country and The Lost Continent. I have bought The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid and A Walk in the Woods but haven't read them yet.

A short history of nearly everything is a brilliant read as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Currently reading:

"How To Master CCNA" by René Molenaar

Dunno why I'm reading this as I have CCNA certification. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

Metro 2033 - Dmitry Glukhovsky

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

In the last weekish I've read Old Mans War, The Ghost Brigades and have started The Last Colony.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dunphys book, The Rocky Road. Very interesting so far, a good insight into growing up poor in Dublin in the late 40s and 50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

A Storm of Swords, it's all downhill after this I hear from some people?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Metro 2033 - Dmitry Glukhovsky

Any good? Played the game but never finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

Any good? Played the game but never finished it.

not far into it but its pretty creepy so far.i think i'll stop reading it at night :p .some of it seems a little lost in translation too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭BlurstMonkey

mutley18 wrote: »
    A Storm of Swords, it's all downhill after this I hear from some people?
    Not at all. A Feast for Crows is definitely a bit dull compared but you can't just have the foot on the pedal constantly. Dance of Dragons is more back on form. Both are set at the same time in the story, Martin just put all the better stuff in the second so it's a little uneven. Be glad you didn't wait 4 years for A Feast for Crows + whatever for Dance afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The White Tiger, by Aravind Adiga. Cracking good and thought-provoking yarn.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

A million little pieces by James Frey. Not sure what's real or not but I wouldn't say in hugely fond of his writing style so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

judgefudge wrote: »
    A million little pieces by James Frey. Not sure what's real or not but I wouldn't say in hugely fond of his writing style so far.

Stick with it. I was the same but by the time I finished I enjoyed it.
    Until I discovered it was mostly fabricated

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

'Jeeves And The Wedding Bells' Sebastian Faulks tribute to P G Wodehouse. Only a couple of chapters in but so far so good, he has the tone of the originals down well and there are already a few laugh out loud moments.

Just starting this. It's a bold move by SF but I've heard good reports about it.

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Collie D wrote: »
    Stick with it. I was the same but by the time I finished I enjoyed it.
    Until I discovered it was mostly fabricated

I'm confused ... how is that a spoiler ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The Sleepwalkers: How Europe Went to War in 1914 by Christopher Clark.

Just started it and still reading chapter 1. Have to say its a tough read and surprising turning many of my assumptions upside down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement