Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Got myself a new Smartphone for Xmas, since my Sister thought it was time I upgraded from my old Nokia that I've been using for the past decade :P

Was browsing Google Play and I came across an App called Lone Wolf Sage - it's one of those old classic "Turn to page" adventure books that I recall from the 80s.

Suffice to say, yeah, I having a hoot going through it :D

LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 1 A.McGee

I've decided to work through all of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" novels by the end of the year, starting with the first!

Of course, I've watched the series... But nothing beats a nice aul' book!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I just finished 'The Road to Wigan Pier' by George Orwell. It's an excellent read, gives a lot of insight to the conditions of the working class in 1930's England as well as a lot of insight into Orwell's life and opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Haven't read that one but very much enjoyed Keep The Aspidistra Flying, rom-pov is great :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

To Build A Fire and Other Favourite Stories by Jack London.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Beginning to read Philomena by Martin Sixsmith.

I bought that book for a family member for Christmas myself and I actually removed the second batch of photographs which are positioned two thirds the way through the book, as even a quick glance at them would ruin the story and I just knew the person I bought it for, would flick through the photos straight away, as I tend to do myself whenever I get given a new book.

I never read it myself, but seen the film recently. Cracking story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Daqster wrote: »
    I bought that book for a family member for Christmas myself and I actually removed the second batch of photographs which are positioned two thirds the way through the book, as even a quick glance at them would ruin the story and I just knew the person I bought it for, would flick through the photos straight away, as I tend to do myself whenever I get given a new book.

I never read it myself, but seen the film recently. Cracking story.

Didn't know about the photographs, thanks for the warning!

I didn't see the film myself, I'm looking forward to reading it!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

Commander Chris Hadfield's " An astronaut's guide to life...on earth"...an absolutely fascinating read and insight into the whole process of becoming an astronaut and gives you a real feel about what it is like living in space...a truely inspirational man!!...and I got it signed by him last week so even better! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

11/22/63
    King back at his best with this one I think

Citizen Soldier by Stephen E Ambrose (Band of Brothers)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭baron von something

Wolf In Shadow - David Gemmel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, would highly recommend it as the story is so engaging while also being wonderfully written.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Merkin wrote: »
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts and I'm thoroughly enjoying it, would highly recommend it as the story is so engaging while also being wonderfully written.

I'm reading that too,been dipping in and out of it for weeks now. It makes me want to go to India.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre. An attempt to lift the lid on the practices of large pharma companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I'm reading that too,been dipping in and out of it for weeks now. It makes me want to go to India.

It's amazing! It's so heavy though so I get a pain in my wrists reading it in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭paddyref

Bedsit Disco Queen by Tracey Thorn,Bio of herself and the band Everything but the girl.very enjoyable so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Cervantes by don quixote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just finished the Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, following a recommendation here. It was good. Bit safe compared to what I usually expect from him. But a good read.

Going to give Trudy Canavans magician books a go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

The Brothers Karamazov and Albert Camus' The Plague.
    Quite a change for my several years of strictly sci-fi only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I just finished the book Not Lost by Sarah Griffin. She wrote frequently in the Irish Times about moving to America. It was a nice read.

Now my next book is the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just finished "Them: Adventures with Extremists" by Jon Ronson.

Enjoyed it a lot. I'll check out some of his more recent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'm trying to read 'The Road' at the minute.

Not really liking it so far, loved the movie but the book hasn't got me yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Holsten wrote: »
    I'm trying to read 'The Road' at the minute.

Not really liking it so far, loved the movie but the book hasn't got me yet.

Jesus. I read that in one sitting :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finished reading all of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. Enjoyed them as much as I'd hoped, though gets a little heavy reading all 4 in a row :p.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Just finished reading all of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. Enjoyed them as much as I'd hoped, though gets a little heavy reading all 4 in a row :p.

You've still got one more to go so. It's a trilogy in five parts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

You've still got one more to go so. It's a trilogy in five parts :pac:
    Nope. Part 5 of a 4 part trilogy;)

I stand corrected :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Recently completed Inversions by the late Iain M Banks. From the "M" you can tell that he classified it as science fiction, but it barely falls in to that category as a story, being set entirely on a world at a realistically medieval level of development. He called it "a Culture novel which isn't".

It's quite a "formal" novel, and I think that the structure reflects the formality of the characters. The chapters alternate between two characters who are in different parts of the world, who do not interact directly over the course of the novel, so their storylines run in parallel. Those are the explicit storylines, but under it all are more subtle goings-on, some of which only become apparent in retrospect. It's a subtle novel, a detective story, but from an old thread it seems to have underwhelmed readers who expected more Culture.

The role of the narrator is also highly relevant to how we read the stories: one story is told in the first-person, by a possibly unreliable narrator who makes no bones about his initial biases, but he finds those biases subverted over the course of his story. The other in the conventional third person - but is it the usual "god's-eye view", or is it a human narrator - and if so, where is s/he getting the information? It's a medieval world without the luxury of quick and easy communication that we enjoy today. But there are, shall we say, special circumstances ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Just starting to read Oliver Stone and Peter Kuznick's Untold history of the United States. Have seen a few episodes of the T.V. series and it was interesting enough. It seems largely aimed at an American audience but so far feels worth a read. Was completely ignorant myself of the US's chemical weapons programme around the first world war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm reading Made in America by Bill Bryson. It's an interesting look at the history of the English language in the United States. Very enjoyable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement