Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Heffo - A Brilliant Mind
    A Biography Of Kevin Heffernan
    By Liam Hayes

Kevin Heffernan was a giant amongst GAA men. A giant with a brilliant mind. An unforgiving giant. A giant who repeatedly warned everybody that he would not let his own mother get in the way of him winning one more game of football. Heffo was deeply admired and absolutely feared like no other. And like no other manager in the history of the GAA, his strength of mind and brutal toughness as a leader raised an army that was called his own - Heffo's Army. His fierce desire to win, and the forcefulness he displayed in the privacy of the Dublin dressing-room was often shocking. Nobody was spared. Everybody knew that Heffo took no prisoners. No cowards, no weaklings, no deserters. Heffo: A Brilliant Mind tells the Kevin Heffernan story for the first time. It's the story of a boy with the biggest dreams, and a man who lived with triumphs and the greatest regrets. It's the story of a club, and how Heffo and St Vincent's GAA club revolutionized the game of Gaelic football and changed the face of Dublin football forever. It's the story, too, of a great war. Heffo: A Brilliant Mind dramatically re-enacts the battles that Kevin Heffernan fought over four decades as a footballer and a manager in a long and punishing war with Kerry. A war waged by one man with the courage and fearlessnes of a true giant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's "The Fault In Our Stars" ;)

It's coming out in the cinemas this year. I love the Vlogbrothers but haven't been able to bring myself to read that book. I don't want to be crying myself to sleep at night!

I didn't know it was Vlogbrothers John Green! That makes me want to read it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Stephen King
    Salems Lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Vojera wrote: »
    I didn't know it was Vlogbrothers John Green! That makes me want to read it now.

That's why my son bought it. Its beautiful and so well written. The first few chapters are a bit meh but then you just get sucked in and can't put it down and if you don't tear up a little your heart is made of stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Currently reading Doctor Sleep, the sequel to the Shining.

It's pretty good so far. Similar and different to the Shining, with a lot of references to the first one in it. Also, it's interesting how Stephen King has expanded on some of the peripheral ideas in the Shining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

The damage done by warren fellows just finished it again after first reading 15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

The damage done by warren fellows just finished it again after first reading 15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

90 pages into Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel as of ten minutes ago. Entertaining so far, has caused me to spend some time on Wikipedia reading around the history of the Tudors and the reformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Witchie wrote: »
    Finished reading a lovely book that my 16 year old son suggested I read coz he really enjoyed it called "The Fault In Their Stars" by John Green. A really moving story well told. Was shocked that my son loved it so much. Passed it on to my sister and she just sent me a message today to tell me that its my fault she was crying in work today, well the fault of the book! She loved it too.

Just started reading One Day by David Nicholls but not having much time for reading with loads of college work to do. Oh well.
    If you enjoyed TFIOS, you should try one of his earlier books, "Looking For Alaska". It's my favourite of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    If you enjoyed TFIOS, you should try one of his earlier books, "Looking For Alaska". It's my favourite of his.

Cheers thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

bnt wrote: »
    Just read A Study in Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes story. It's quite short, and fairly weird in a way I wasn't expecting.
    I wasn't expecting the whole Mormons interlude, for example.

Great story.

Neil Gaiman wrote a fantastic Holmes/Lovecraft pastiche called A Study In Emerald, which reverses the rolls of Holmes and Moriarty. Sort of.

Yeah, I know Moriarty wasn't in A Study In Scarlet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Just Finished Michael Connelly " The Gods of Guilt"
    Have to say it was a great read.

Just started Eamonn Dunphy " The Rocky Road"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"The Stone Roses War and Peace" by Simon Spence. Big fan of the band but too young to see them first time around. Interesting reading about their dodgy manager (always an integral part of a good rock 'n' roll story :)) as I wasn't too up on the facts about the dodgy contracts and fallouts etc.

Prologue starts with him touting tickets outside the Spike Island gig - probably a made-up analogy but I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Currently reading "Tower on the Rift" by Ian Irvine, second book in the "view from the mirror" series (or tale of Three worlds).

His writing has improved from the first book(A Shadow on the Glass)
    Though it's very much "go, go, go, danger, danger" with protagonist often barely escaping dire situations. The world is detailed though, and if you like fantasy, and can skip read lumps pointless of text. (perhaps if you liked WoT series) I suggest you try it.
    Interesting story, could have been written better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,963 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just started reading Inversions by Iain M. Banks. It's set in the Culture universe, but it's not a Culture novel per se, being set exclusively on one medieval planet. I'm only half way through the first chapter, and we're already in to ironically graphic descriptions of torture ... do I really need to know that if your hot pokers aren't sufficiently hot, they don't stop the bleeding? :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

^^ After seeing your post yesterday, I broke out a Holmes collection last night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Searching For Me by Aoife Curran, a really lovely book about a girls journey to find her birth parents.

The, Spinning Heart by Donal Ryan, really enjoyed this book, this guy certainly has his finger on the pulse of life for a lot of people post the Tiger years.

I downloaded The, Scent Of Roses and The, Fault In Our Stars after recommendations here, looking forward to getting stuck into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Halfway through White Oleander by Janet Fitch and highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I downloaded The, Scent Of Roses and The, Fault In Our Stars after recommendations here, looking forward to getting stuck into them.
    Heed previous recommendations and don't read it in public.

It broke me.

Just finished Bruno Tonioli: My Story. I roared with laughter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

Great story.

Neil Gaiman wrote a fantastic Holmes/Lovecraft pastiche called A Study In Emerald, which reverses the rolls of Holmes and Moriarty. Sort of.

Yeah, I know Moriarty wasn't in A Study In Scarlet ;)

try "Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles" by kim newman
    its the same premice where it focuses on moriarty and his sidekick moran instead of holmes and watson.its next on my list as soon as i get my kindle fixed

try "Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles" by kim newman
    its the same premice where it focuses on moriarty and his sidekick moran instead of holmes and watson.its next on my list as soon as i get my kindle fixed

Is it a Wold Newton Universe story?

Is it a Wold Newton Universe story?

no its just a story from another angle about their criminal ways and how holmes is a nuisance to them

no its just a story from another angle about their criminal ways and how holmes is a nuisance to them

Cool. I'll put it on my list ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

chef wrote: »
    Just Finished Michael Connelly " The Gods of Guilt"
    Have to say it was a great read.

Just started Eamonn Dunphy " The Rocky Road"

I read 18 of Connolly's books in 2013. Brilliant. My reading has exploded since I abandoned paper and moved to my Kindle, 43 books in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Piliger wrote: »
    I read 18 of Connolly's books in 2013. Brilliant. My reading has exploded since I abandoned paper and moved to my Kindle, 43 books in 2013.

He's the reason I got back in to reading.

I found Trunk Music in the school one day (6 or 7 years ago) and "borrowed" it. I say "borrowed" in that I would have put it back where I found it if I didn't like it but I loved it and kept it. Now I have the whole collection apart from Gods of Guilt. I dropped the biggest hint for Christmas and it still wasn't under the tree :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Mars Bar wrote: »
    He's the reason I got back in to reading.

I found Trunk Music in the school one day (6 or 7 years ago) and "borrowed" it. I say "borrowed" in that I would have put it back where I found it if I didn't like it but I loved it and kept it. Now I have the whole collection apart from Gods of Guilt. I dropped the biggest hint for Christmas and it still wasn't under the tree :(.

I just finished it. Good but not as great as some imho. It's a Mickey Haller novel.

working my way through the entire collection of Spike Milligans war memoirs.they are the most irrevelant books about WWII i've ever read.hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Piliger wrote: »
    I just finished it. Good but not as great as some imho. It's a Mickey Haller novel.

Read it myself over xmas. Just started The Drop this week, it's the only book of the Bosch series that I haven't read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I've started listening to audio books while at work. Luckily I've got a job where wearing headphones isn't an issue.

I'm listening to the Star Force series of books at the moment. Very good.
    I'll move onto something a little more useful next. Lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement