Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Recently finished "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon and "Fleshmarket Close" by Ian Rankin.

Currently reading "Them: Advenures With Extremists" by Jon Ronson and "Stoner" by John Williams, really enjoying both.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Halfway through Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, right up there with his best work.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Halfway through Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, right up there with his best work.
    Just finished it, really excellent sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Birneybau wrote: »
    Recently finished "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon

One of my all-time favourites.

I got Pat Leahy's "The Price of Power" for Christmas. Only just started it, reads very well so far. I'm a fan of Leahy's SBP work anyway so it was a pretty safe bet that I'd like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hyperbole And A Half.

A collection of stuff from the blog but I hadn't known about the blog when I got it. Plenty of lolz.

This was on my Christmas list but I didn't get it :( must get it myself. Love the blog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This was on my Christmas list but I didn't get it :( must get it myself. Love the blog.

The wife bought it for me. I've no idea how...it wouldn't be her humour and she'd never heard of it.

But managed to pull out a whammy like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hyperbole And A Half.

A collection of stuff from the blog but I hadn't known about the blog when I got it. Plenty of lolz.

My boyfriend got that for Christmas and from the snippets I've read, it's just hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

270 pages into Stephen Kings IT and I am enjoying it so far, I have never been into reading and I don't think this was a great first choice to be honest, its so long and sprawling in parts it makes it difficult at times to get through.

However I have never once found it boring, its consistently absorbing for the most part, I've yet to come across this controversial part either which is supposed to be pretty bad by all accounts. Ill definitely keep going with it as it enjoyable but I feel it'll take me forever to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭ItsNoAlias

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Over Xmas I picked up No Way Down by Graham Bowley, about a somewhat disastrous attempt on K2 where a number of people died. I literally could not put it down nor could I be tempted away from it by booze, poker games or sleep. And now I want to climb some tall mountains

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just finished Zlatans Autobiography, now Im starting on Ronan O'Garas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

A Great Game; a history of hockey in Toronto by Stephen Harper.

Really really interesting if you are into ice hockey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Scent of roses, by colm Keane. It's a collection of eye witness accounts, specifically from Irish people, relating to miracles and cures from Padre Pio. A curious read, especially for the non-believer.

ItsNoAlias wrote: »

I read all his books last year, fantastic. Some brilliant characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Simon Singh - The Simpsons and their mathematical secrets

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

Vojera wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that book. I found it really charming. I would love to see a spin-off or more stories set in the same world.

my favourite gaiman book so far

ItsNoAlias wrote: »

and part my joint-favourite trilogy of recent years

Just finished it, really excellent sequel.

Finished it last night. Was sceptical when I head he was doing a sequel to The Shining but he really proved me wrong. Best thing he's written in a while.

Got a load of books over Christmas :D

Catch-22
    World War Z
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy of Four
    Cracked.com's The De-Textbook
    Shadow of a Dark Queen (Raymond E Feist)
    The Fifth Elephant (Pratchett)
    Hannibal and Hannibal Rising
    Collection of Short Stories by Egdar Allen Poe
    The Road (Cormac McCarthy)

Also found The Book Thief lying around the house so added it to the pile

Will keep me busy for a good while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm reading Season 8 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'm halfway through. I like that it carries on from the tv show but sometimes the dialogue tries too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

A Prayer for Owen Meaney and The Lord of the Rings at the moment. Both superb.

I read a couple of Stephen King ones before that - the long walk, shawshank, apt pupil. Its hard to go wrong with Stephen King!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭roro1990

Just finishing The Slight Edge, by Jeff Olson. A brilliant read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

Just started 11.22.63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Got a load of books over Christmas :D

The Road (Cormac McCarthy)

Also found The Book Thief lying around the house so added it to the pile

Will keep me busy for a good while :)

Leave that one till last, as there's a high probability you will top yourself after reading it, and then never get to read the others.

sadie06 wrote: »
    Leave that one till last, as there's a high probability you will top yourself after reading it, and then never get to read the others.

Sounds intriguing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Over half way through 'The Goldfinch' by Donna Tartt. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky

Snap.

Also the Yoga Sutra.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just read A Study in Scarlet, the first Sherlock Holmes story. It's quite short, and fairly weird in a way I wasn't expecting.
    I wasn't expecting the whole Mormons interlude, for example.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Finished reading a lovely book that my 16 year old son suggested I read coz he really enjoyed it called "The Fault In Their Stars" by John Green. A really moving story well told. Was shocked that my son loved it so much. Passed it on to my sister and she just sent me a message today to tell me that its my fault she was crying in work today, well the fault of the book! She loved it too.

Just started reading One Day by David Nicholls but not having much time for reading with loads of college work to do. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Witchie wrote: »
    Finished reading a lovely book that my 16 year old son suggested I read coz he really enjoyed it called "The Fault In Their Stars" by John Green. A really moving story well told. Was shocked that my son loved it so much. Passed it on to my sister and she just sent me a message today to tell me that its my fault she was crying in work today, well the fault of the book! She loved it too.

Just started reading One Day by David Nicholls but not having much time for reading with loads of college work to do. Oh well.

It's "The Fault In Our Stars" ;)

It's coming out in the cinemas this year. I love the Vlogbrothers but haven't been able to bring myself to read that book. I don't want to be crying myself to sleep at night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's "The Fault In Our Stars" ;)

It's coming out in the cinemas this year. I love the Vlogbrothers but haven't been able to bring myself to read that book. I don't want to be crying myself to sleep at night!

Doh you are right. Silly me. Was too blinded by tears to read the cover!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement