Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

muffler wrote: »
    i dont suppose you can pick up Freeview in Wexford?

I'm on the wrong side of Vinegar Hill unfortunately. I have two Samsung tv's that can receive saorview but won't pause rewind etc. I tried both a flash and a portable hard drive in the usb port but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jca wrote: »
    I'm on the wrong side of Vinegar Hill unfortunately. I have two Samsung tv's that can receive saorview but won't pause rewind etc. I tried both a flash and a portable hard drive in the usb port but no joy.
    Pity you cant pick up the Freeview. I bought a wee Freeview+ HD box which more or less performs the same as the Sky+ box. It records, pauses, rewinds Freeview and Saorview channels and picture quality is great. Quite a few HD channels can be picked up. The SD channels are almost as good as Sky's HD offering at times. While the variety or selection may not be as varied as Sky's it does the job for herself anyhow for recording the soaps.

Add in the Setanta/BT Sports package for €10 a month through the old Sky box and thats my sports needs catered for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

zorro2566 wrote: »
    New Update
    Wonder if the old card trick may come back to life!

R011.075.64.00P
    What's New
    This update contains stability fixes to address an issue effecting DRX890W/WL & DRX895W/WL Sky+HD boxes.
    Firmware rollout commenced: Wednesday 12th August 2015.
    Firmware added to DR stream: Monday 17th August 2015.

There is a newer version of firmware released since then it is : R012.079.47.00P but doubt it will bring back the hybrid EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

New Update
    Wonder if the old card trick may come back to life!

R011.075.64.00P
    What's New
    This update contains stability fixes to address an issue effecting DRX890W/WL & DRX895W/WL Sky+HD boxes.
    Firmware rollout commenced: Wednesday 12th August 2015.
    Firmware added to DR stream: Monday 17th August 2015.

What makes you think that Sky will reinstate a software bug? Wishful thinking unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I'd do the same myself but can't find a way to record, pause, rewind the saorview channels without ending up with two boxes and three remotes!!! Any suggestions gratefully appreciated...
    I use this myself. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057354767 Not as user friendly as Sky and you will need a Tri Link to watch and control it from other rooms. It takes a few weeks to "get used to it". But you get used to it being subscription free immediately!

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »
    I use this myself. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057354767 Not as user friendly as Sky and you will need a Tri Link to watch and control it from other rooms. It takes a few weeks to "get used to it". But you get used to it being subscription free immediately!

I'm following that thread but I'm struggling to comprehend most of it tbh. Image this enigma that spark the other.... I know I'll be in the dog house within days if I got that setup. If I got that box from a reputable guy can I just plug and play using his setup and leave it at that?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Woodie40

muffler wrote: »
    Pity you cant pick up the Freeview. I bought a wee Freeview+ HD box which more or less performs the same as the Sky+ box. It records, pauses, rewinds Freeview and Saorview channels and picture quality is great. Quite a few HD channels can be picked up. The SD channels are almost as good as Sky's HD offering at times. While the variety or selection may not be as varied as Sky's it does the job for herself anyhow for recording the soaps.

Add in the Setanta/BT Sports package for €10 a month through the old Sky box and thats my sports needs catered for. :)

Can you series link Saorview?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Woodie40 wrote: »
    Can you series link Saorview?
    I dont think I've actually recorded anything on Saorview yet but I'll check it out later and post back. I know when you set up something to record initially it asks (same as Sky+ boxes) if its just the episode or the series to be recorded.

This is the Freeview box I got. I live close to the NI border so no bother with picking up good quality signals. As a bonus it picks up and records the Saorview as stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Kinda-ish achieved this last night, after a bit of messing about.
    Sky+ HD box, with back-up of old recordings on a 500GB disk, old Irish (dark blue, yellow house) card, Irish EPG : success with > recording whatever is viewable, ie. FTA minus what's in 'other channels'. Can also watch whatever recordings that were made previously that were FTA.
    /forgive me if this is already known! and I wonder if I can get those 'other channels' to rec or onto the EPG !?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Kinda-ish achieved this last night, after a bit of messing about.
    Sky+ HD box, with back-up of old recordings on a 500GB disk, old Irish (dark blue, yellow house) card, Irish EPG : success with > recording whatever is viewable, ie. FTA minus what's in 'other channels'. Can also watch whatever recordings that were made previously that were FTA.
    /forgive me if this is already known! and I wonder if I can get those 'other channels' to rec or onto the EPG !?
    Sorry can you explain this in more detail? What can you actually achieve when you put the UK card in and then the usual Irish card? Are recordings staying put in the planner again?

• Advertisement

I noticed before BBC removed the red/green button for Sky’s Irish subscribers before the Olympics that I could record programmes off BBC One London, BBC2 England, etc – see photos attached.

This happened when the green ‘remind me’ prompt was on the screen and it gave the option to record off different channels.

I know that there was not benefit in this as we had access to the same programmes via BBC One HD & BBC 2HD. Still, it shows that the channels are lurking in the background … even with an Irish card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'll try !
    I don't have a UK card. It's an old Irish card with Irish EPG. But somehow it's able to play old FTA recordings and record current FTA channels.

Just found my ITV and UTV FTV cards here at home - I don't suppose anyone is having any luck with recording or placing the FTA channels on the EPG?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just found my ITV and UTV FTV cards here at home - I don't suppose anyone is having any luck with recording or placing the FTA channels on the EPG?

Feck ya!! I thought there had been a breakthrough:pac: Such a pity we can't install an old version on the box.

Feck ya!! I thought there had been a breakthrough:pac: Such a pity we can't install an old version on the box.
    lol sorry - I know it's such a pitty... tried it again tonight but no luck unfortunately. At least EPG is loading but no recording :(

lol sorry - I know it's such a pitty... tried it again tonight but no luck unfortunately. At least EPG is loading but no recording :(

My uk recording card is still working. It'll get more use now that utv Ireland has gone.

I have sky plus Hd with box set downloads. Yesterday I went into ‘other channels’ where I have the ITV family of channels and Channel 5, I watched a Carry On doc on Itv 3, I then backed out of it and into the box sets and watched a red button preview of one of the movies there. When I finished and backed out again to ITV3 there was three zeros in front of the channel name,000ITV3. Anyway I pressed record and was able to record the current programme and the next. Happy with that but no series link or epg presence! I tried it with the other ITVs and Ch5 and it works!
    Has anyone else tried it?

I’ve noticed that too, but was reluctant to put it here because it will be removed on the next software update! It needs to be a pin protected show that you download.

I’ve noticed that too, but was reluctant to put it here because it will be removed on the next software update! It needs to be a pin protected show that you download.

Don’t think so, I just went into the sky store and watched the red button preview of some movie there, forget which one and there was no pin request!

Tried this on the SkyQ Box and doesn’t seem to be working unfortunately... it’s just skipping back to channel you were on before “other channels”

• Advertisement

My Sky box updated the software this morning and the trick I outlined still works! Happy with that!

My Sky box updated the software this morning and the trick I outlined still works! Happy with that!

Same here. Can you stop posting about it now :)

I have ITV +1, ITV 2 3 &4+1's all recordable in the new +1 tab on one box only. 2 3 and 4 +1 were available on the other box but stupidly I unplugged the box to see would the old card trick work and they disappeared... If you have them don't unplug the box!!

I have ITV +1, ITV 2 3 &4+1's all recordable in the new +1 tab on one box only. 2 3 and 4 +1 were available on the other box but stupidly I unplugged the box to see would the old card trick work and they disappeared... If you have them don't unplug the box!!

jca I presume this is on the old sky hd boxes and not on SkyQ?

jca I presume this is on the old sky hd boxes and not on SkyQ?

Yea the old boxes. I wonder would a reboot of the box restore what I lost? I'm raging I touched the box at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

Same here. Can you stop posting about it now :)

I just got the latest software update R020 and the bug is still there. I use it daily now it would be a real downgrade if it was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Just go back into the +1 channels the old way via other channels and they will re-appear in the +1 tab They only disappear if you reboot your box or have a power cut etc

I powered off my Sky HD box due to the storms! I lost all the ITV 2,3,& 4 +1s,Ch5 +1.Will they return or do i have to do a reboot? Does a reboot just mean unplugging it and plugging it in again or a planner rebuild! I dont want to lose anything on the planner!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

The +1 channels are no longer available in the +1 tab since a software update yesterday.
    However the record trick still works for any channel that you have stored in other channels. )remind or record the now or next program only.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chocolatito

I enter these details into "Add Channels" on my Sky box:
    10.964 H 22000 5/6

Channel 5 comes up, along with other channels. I instruct the Sky box to store the channels and it says it does that. However when I go to the "Other Channels" tab it is still empty.

What should I do?

Advertisement