Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,923 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Soarer wrote: »
    Morning all.

I did the card trick last night, and didn't quite get everything I was expecting.

When I put in the UK card, I get everything inc. Ch4 HD, Channel 5 HD, and ITVHD. However, when I remove the card and put back in the Irish one, Channel 5 HD and ITVHD are gone, but hannel 4 HD remains.

I also don't get doubling up on certain numbers, eg. 101 is only RTE1, but that's probably a good thing.

Any ideas?
    See my post above (652). You will have RTE on 101 but do you have an ITV region on 103 and Channel5 on 105?

Check 178 for ITV HD and look up in the region of channel no's 970 - 990 to see if you have ITV1 there somewhere. Sorry, cant recall the exact channel number.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Soarer wrote: »
    Morning all.

I did the card trick last night, and didn't quite get everything I was expecting.

When I put in the UK card, I get everything inc. Ch4 HD, Channel 5 HD, and ITVHD. However, when I remove the card and put back in the Irish one, Channel 5 HD and ITVHD are gone, but hannel 4 HD remains.

I also don't get doubling up on certain numbers, eg. 101 is only RTE1, but that's probably a good thing.

Any ideas?

It depends on what line-up you have in Other channels - if you have BBC1 & 2 in other channels (a good idea if you choose a region other than NI) they will be on 101 & 102 along with RTE 1 &2 when you do the card trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

galtee boy wrote: »
    How does it work ? Is it mains powered itself and recharging internal batteries ? If there is a power cut, do the batteries kick in immediately, because the Sky box only needs to be off for a few seconds to lose the card trick, and when the batteries do kick in, how long will they last, before draining down ? Sorry for all the questions, but need to know these things, before thinking of buying one.
    Its mains powered with an internal batery similar in size to a motorbike battery. When the mains is on the battery is kept fully charged. It kicks in immediately the power is turned off. I've never tried to switch off the power to see how long it lasts so can't answer that question.A sky box in standby would consume very little I'd imagine it would last for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

I've been using the card trick for over 6 months now, I've had to redo it TWICE, first time was a software update, second was a power failure. Redoing the trick takes 2 whole minutes, hardly a big deal.

Does anyone know what's actually happening in the sky box while doing the trick? Even more important, can sky prevent it with a simple software update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

jca wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's actually happening in the sky box while doing the trick? Even more important, can sky prevent it with a simple software update?
    It's just a software bug they haven't spotted. Yes, it can be easily fixed with an update. I can't imagine it being a high priority for them to fix though.

I've noticed the sound out of synch on my itv1 hd. Am I using the wrong frequency for my London region card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I've noticed the sound out of synch on my itv1 hd. Am I using the wrong frequency for my London region card.

It's a known ITV HD thing....
    You could try adding the other Granada ITV & STV HD into other channels and then switch to viewing them, if you notice an issue with the ITV HD London one, to see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Its mains powered with an internal batery similar in size to a motorbike battery. When the mains is on the battery is kept fully charged. It kicks in immediately the power is turned off. I've never tried to switch off the power to see how long it lasts so can't answer that question.A sky box in standby would consume very little I'd imagine it would last for a few hours.

Thanks for that info, certainly a useful bit of kit.

I've been using the card trick for over 6 months now, I've had to redo it TWICE, first time was a software update, second was a power failure. Redoing the trick takes 2 whole minutes, hardly a big deal.

gtg60, I'm like you, probably two or three times in six months, I've lost the card trick due to power cuts etc, I was just thinking if it happened while on hols and had something important set to record from ITV etc, but I suppose its only tv and life would still go on ! Its just that you know in the back of your mind, you cant really trust the card trick 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

It's been like that for ages .. and has been discussed at length over on Digital Spy, http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1629990

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    I was just thinking if it happened while on hols and had something important set to record from ITV etc, but I suppose its only tv and life would still go on !

Apparently this happened to somebody already and as the program was already in the planner it still recorded, you could test it out yourself and let us all know :D;)

MBSnr wrote: »
    It's a known ITV HD thing....
    You could try adding the other Granada ITV & STV HD into other channels and then switch to viewing them, if you notice an issue with the ITV HD London one, to see if it makes any difference.
    I tuned in the Granada and STV into other channels. No problems with lip sync on both these channels. I deleted the bad Itv HD but no ITV HD on the epg after doing the card trick. Tis hard to win:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

I tuned in the Granada and STV into other channels. No problems with lip sync on both these channels. I deleted the bad Itv HD but no ITV HD on the epg after doing the card trick. Tis hard to win:rolleyes:

Yeap no EPG entries as your London card ignores the other two... Best add all 3 in other channels and then if you can't watch it live on STV/ITV Granada you can always chance recording ITV HD London with it's lip sync issues.

It's a small price to pay tbh. I'm happy to have all the itv's c5 and the others on the epg. I mind that uk card like gold dust. !!!

gtg60 wrote: »
    Apparently this happened to somebody already and as the program was already in the planner it still recorded, you could test it out yourself and let us all know :D;)
    I tried it today. I set the box to record something on CH5+1 at 14:55 I can't remember what it was. I then reboted the box using the Irish Sky card and left it to see what happened. No joy, recording failed. Keep on learning eh?

Ah, that's a pity, I'm sure somebody had posted that it had worked before. You live and learn...

Any programs that are set to record on the extra channels stay in the planner and will be recorded if the extra channels are put back in time. In other words they don't have to rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭MartyM

200motels wrote: »
    Of course if you don't want BBC1 and 2, ITV, and channel 4 on the same numbers as the Irish channels just delete them from your other channels, because we already have BBC1 on 141 BBC2 on 142, ITVHD on 178 and CH4 on 135, that's what I've done.

Am I reading this correctly? You receive ITVHD on 178 of the Irish EPG without any card trick?

The other channels listed, I do have on my Irish sub EPG but not ITVHD.

MartyM wrote: »
    200motels wrote: »
    Of course if you don't want BBC1 and 2, ITV, and channel 4 on the same numbers as the Irish channels just delete them from your other channels, because we already have BBC1 on 141 BBC2 on 142, ITVHD on 178 and CH4 on 135, that's what I've done.

Am I reading this correctly? You receive ITVHD on 178 of the Irish EPG without any card trick?

No itv hd is not on the Irish epg,bbc1 hd and bbc hd are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

MartyM wrote: »

With the card trick.

• Advertisement

Anyone getting problems with boxes locking up and blue screening while using "tricked" epg? A friends box I've done the trick on has locked up a few times (not immediately but a few days later). It can only be sorted by unplugging from the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Anyone getting problems with boxes locking up and blue screening while using "tricked" epg? A friends box I've done the trick on has locked up a few times (not immediately but a few days later). It can only be sorted by unplugging from the mains.

It's working fine here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

It's working fine here

Same here, no problems with the 'trick'. Fingers crossed.

It's working fine here

Same here, no problems with the 'trick'. Fingers crossed.
    My own two boxes are fine too. It just seems to be with this particular box.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭christo82

Does anyone know if a software update will prevent doing the card trick in future? I need to do an update to try and fix a problem with Anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Possibly in the future, yes. Not now though. You also can't prevent updates from installing in the future. That's the beauty of OTA (over the air) upgrades!

You should be ok with the latest software. One of my boxes is running the latest software and the card trick is working fine.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I suppose Sky don't mind. it will only become an issue if the Irish tv companies make a fuss about it.

greendom wrote: »
    I suppose Sky don't mind. it will only become an issue if the Irish tv companies make a fuss about it.

I'd say (hope) it never will be an issue, I mean it's not like we're getting any channels that we can't tune into 'Other Channels' anyway, in fact I'd say it has proven a bit of a Holy Grail for Irish Sky customers, we've always cried out for all the FTA channels on our EPG and with the recent (surprise) addition of Channel 4 HD what more could we want?

I'd say, if it's ever to be knobbled, then it will be the same way it came about in the first place, a software/ programming error!

Long live the card trick! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭energy1942

You should be ok with the latest software. One of my boxes is running the latest software and the card trick is working fine.;)
    Do you mean the card trick is working on the new beta epg software update?

Advertisement