Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Channel 5 and BBC One HD on your Irish EPG and Recordable!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭alfreg

All the ITV's and their +1s, the Channel 5 channels and their +1s also BBC news 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thanks Alfreg.

Pardon my ignorance, but will these channels bump other channels out of the way? In the opening post, it mentions channel 5 and 3e both being on 105. Does that mean that there's literally 2 channel 105's, or it's one or the other?

Edit: Reading the first page I see that there is 2 of each channel number, so question answered!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

ITV HD
    All the Channel 5's (at least 6 of them)
    All the ITV's and their +1's
    You can put a different region of BBC1 and 2 into your EPG too
    There's also a few extra channels like CITV, BBC Parliament and More4+1

I'd say in total you get 20 extra channels on your EPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

And don't forget as of this morning we get C4 HD

11.127 V 22 5/6

maximus02 wrote: »
    And don't forget as of this morning we get C4 HD

11.127 V 22 5/6

Is this confirmed??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Yep. Have it on epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Yes, its coming in loud and clear ))

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

gtg60 wrote: »
    Is this confirmed??

Ya I have it working loud and clear channel 140 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Is this confirmed??
    Yes i just did a scan on my Sky HD box and Channel 4 HD coming in loud and clear. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

So all we need is a UK FTV card?

Where does one pick one up? (pardon my ignorance :o)

• Advertisement

Mr Moon wrote: »
    So all we need is a UK FTV card?

Where does one pick one up? (pardon my ignorance :o)

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/blue-sky-card-for-adding-channel-5-etc-to-hd-box/971554

Here's one for ye.

If/When the card trick is done, is it possible to use the remote record feature on your phone to record ITVHD say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Soarer wrote: »
    Here's one for ye.

If/When the card trick is done, is it possible to use the remote record feature on your phone to record ITVHD say?

No, I tried it ! You must change the region in Sky+ app on your phone, to a UK region to get ITV on the phones epg and then when you select record, it tells you that your Sky ID is registered in Rep of Ireland.

On a side issue, I wonder is there anything that can be done, to stop the "card trick" being undone and the epg reverting to ROI epg only, every time there is a power cut, or you have to unplug the box for some reason ?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Here's one for ye.

I've set up recordings from ITV, C5, etc., through 'My Sky' from my computer in the office and it works perfectly. When you go on to My Sky, select the region that is the same as the FreeToAir card you've used, ie: in my case London HD. Not sure about via phone.

I've set up recordings from ITV, C5, etc., through 'My Sky' from my computer in the office and it works perfectly. When you go on to My Sky, select the region that is the same as the FreeToAir card you've used, ie: in my case London HD. Not sure about via phone.

I've just tried it on my phone, West Midlands card in my case and a message pops up saying " You have selected an incorrect region for your Sky ID, please contact Sky etc ", so it looks like it will work via a PC or laptop, but not via phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Thanks Alfreg.

Pardon my ignorance, but will these channels bump other channels out of the way? In the opening post, it mentions channel 5 and 3e both being on 105. Does that mean that there's literally 2 channel 105's, or it's one or the other?

Edit: Reading the first page I see that there is 2 of each channel number, so question answered!

Yes ITV, CH4 CH5 etc seem to take precedence so if you press 103 with your remote you'll get ITV and not TV3. Just hit the up button to get to the Irish, displaced channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

greendom wrote: »
    Yes ITV, CH4 CH5 etc seem to take precedence so if you press 103 with your remote you'll get ITV and not TV3. Just hit the up button to get to the Irish, displaced channel.

This is just because B comes before R (BBC/RTE)
    I comes before T etc etc in the alphabet.

Its coincidence that its the same for all of the first five channels on the EPG, the English ones come first in the alphabet.

DigiDec wrote: »

Its coincidence that its the same for all of the first five channels on the EPG, the English ones come first in the alphabet.

I'm not sure that your reasoning carries. On 135 Ch 4 is superceded by CH4 +1, I'll look into it a bit more...

DigiDec wrote: »

Is it a coincidence thoguh, or is it the famine all over again?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Guys if I purchase the blue card to put the other channels into the main line up so I can record them where does it push the Irish channels, like what numbers do they go to at present RTE 1 is 101.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,955 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Guys if I purchase the blue card to put the other channels into the main line up so I can record them where does it push the Irish channels, like what numbers do they go to at present RTE 1 is 101.
    The only change you will find is that you will have two 103's and two 105's. Something like below.

101 = RTE1
    102 = RTE2
    103 = ITV (whatever region)
    103 = TV3
    104 = TG4
    105 = Ch5
    105 = 3E

106 and onwards will be the same except the empty slots in the "170's" will now have 5*, 5USA etc

It wont affect recordings as its the actual channel names you will be recording and not the channel numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

muffler wrote: »
    The only change you will find is that you will have two 103's and two 105's. Something like below.

101 = RTE1
    102 = RTE2
    103 = ITV (whatever region)
    103 = TV3
    104 = TG4
    105 = Ch5
    105 = 3E

106 and onwards will be the same except the empty slots in the "170's" will now have 5*, 5USA etc

It wont affect recordings as its the actual channel names you will be recording and not the channel numbers.
    Of course if you don't want BBC1 and 2, ITV, and channel 4 on the same numbers as the Irish channels just delete them from your other channels, because we already have BBC1 on 141 BBC2 on 142, ITVHD on 178 and CH4 on 135, that's what I've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Just wondering......Can the "card trick" be done in reverse? In other words, can someone in the UK use an Irish card to enable Irish channels on their EPG?

eddiem10 wrote: »
    Just wondering......Can the "card trick" be done in reverse? In other words, can someone in the UK use an Irish card to enable Irish channels on their EPG?

The irish channels are subscription channels so I'd very much doubt it tbh..

Ha ha, isn't it great though, for once (with the aid of the card trick) we actually have a larger channel line up than our UK counterparts :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,955 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ha ha, isn't it great though, for once (with the aid of the card trick) we actually have a larger channel line up than our UK counterparts :D:D
    Plus free ESPN for anyone who has the sports package ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

galtee boy wrote: »
    No, I tried it ! You must change the region in Sky+ app on your phone, to a UK region to get ITV on the phones epg and then when you select record, it tells you that your Sky ID is registered in Rep of Ireland.

On a side issue, I wonder is there anything that can be done, to stop the "card trick" being undone and the epg reverting to ROI epg only, every time there is a power cut, or you have to unplug the box for some reason ?
    I use one of these on the sky box. http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Power-Saving-Outlet-700VA/dp/B002RXED6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1333054520&sr=1-1 I have an elcb that has a mind of its own. Most annoying when it trips for no reason.

jca wrote: »
    I use one of these on the sky box. http://www.amazon.co.uk/APC-Power-Saving-Outlet-700VA/dp/B002RXED6A/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1333054520&sr=1-1 I have an elcb that has a mind of its own. Most annoying when it trips for no reason.
    How does it work ? Is it mains powered itself and recharging internal batteries ? If there is a power cut, do the batteries kick in immediately, because the Sky box only needs to be off for a few seconds to lose the card trick, and when the batteries do kick in, how long will they last, before draining down ? Sorry for all the questions, but need to know these things, before thinking of buying one.

Morning all.

I did the card trick last night, and didn't quite get everything I was expecting.

When I put in the UK card, I get everything inc. Ch4 HD, Channel 5 HD, and ITVHD. However, when I remove the card and put back in the Irish one, Channel 5 HD and ITVHD are gone, but hannel 4 HD remains.

I also don't get doubling up on certain numbers, eg. 101 is only RTE1, but that's probably a good thing.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

You won't get channel 5 HD on the card trick, sounds like you have not tuned in the correct variations.

Advertisement